2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Sure but again that’s a statistic that has nothing to do with my statement. What if 50% of the shots he “saved” were directly at him and you and I could have saved (I’m not saying they were!)? What if a large percentage of the shots he didn’t save were savable by other keepers? This is what I mean. The statistics mean nothing compared to the eye test
Then you appreciate his positioning. If he's got such a high save percentage because shots are being hit straight at him then it can't be nearly as bad as claimed in this thread.

He is like a third pole in the middle of goal. Anything that doesn't hit him ends up into a goal but hey, to his credit, he does know how to pass a ball. Its like having a poor man Paul Scholes playing in goal.

His countless assists via 80 yard kick offs to Rashford and Garnacho have alone been worth his fee.

I can't shake the Barthez comparisons.
Seems likeable but tries risky stuff with his passing and positioning.
Lets in saveable shots because of poor positioning.
Sadly, I just can't see it in him.

Dear Football gods, can we for once get a keeper than is dominant and can save shots whilst not hoofing it when under pressure? Thanks.

He's very much like Barthez, except Fergie could be forgiven for wanting to buy a WC winning keeper after Schmeichel/Bosnich . In Onana's case, its simply a case of "I know this player very well from my time in Holland, heh".

But the play had been on the opposite side until it was switched, he then has to move.

He's in the middle, the angle just tricks you.
The angle certainly tricked him. Should have brought his protractor out with him!

Some of you people are nuts. The Salah goal was pretty much an impossible situation. Even if he overcommitted to the left side Salah could just pass it into the other corner whilst Onana's momentum was taking him one way.
He doesn't need to over commit, he just needs to take up the correct position for the angle the shot is coming from.

Look at it in real time, it's hilarious.

He will get EtH the sack :smirk:
His save % is statpad since everything and everyone try a punt since they know they can get lucky. Aim it low and profit.

He saved 73.4% of the shots he faced last season (despite giving the opposition 20-30 per game) which is a higher than any other goalkeeper in the Premier League.
The opposition actually had an average of 17.37 shots per game last season, of which only 5.16 were on target

His passing is shit, that's the problem. You can tolerate some of mistakes if he was in elite in build up. He isn't.

He doesn't need to over commit, he just needs to take up the correct position for the angle the shot is coming from.

Look at it in real time, it's hilarious.

If you watch the Sky highlights of the third goal there is a shot from behind the goal that shows he was right in the middle of his goal when he dived and there was nothing he could do to keep it out.

He will get EtH the sack :smirk:
His save % is statpad since everything and everyone try a punt since they know they can get lucky. Aim it low and profit.
So his save percentage is being held up by him saving the large amount of low shots players are taking?
But the players are profiting from these low shots because he can't save them.
So he is saving them even though he's not saving them?

Reminds me of when I used to go in goal as a kid and it was “change keeper every goal” rules

“Oh I tried to save it”

Fukinell, did no one even bother watching Onana before the club signed him? I was told here that he would be amazing, both a top shot stopper and a "modern keeper". :lol:

The opposition actually had an average of 17.37 shots per game last season, of which only 5.16 were on target
So he'd need a save percentage of over 80% to just keep it at less than 1 goal per game?

Those "only" target had us 5th in the league for most shots against btw

Last edited:
So his save percentage is being held up by him saving the large amount of low shots players are taking?
But the players are profiting from these low shots because he can't save them.
So he is saving them even though he's not saving them?
He's been found out, teams know to take lot of chances vs him, it will only get worse, we will win nothing with him in goal.

It seems like he's just so top heavy and stands so tall. He has to lean towards the way he wants to dive first to build momentum, and then jump/dive. Rather than already be set in a lower stance and ready.

Provides the slight delay needed for goals to squeak in and leaves him as a truly woeful shot stopper.

The club needs to let ETH know he doesn't have to justify this transfer so we don't have to watch this every week. Even Pep didn't nail his first gk signing.

He is what he is and pretty much up there with most of the top keepers. Like most players in a struggling team, his failures or weaknesses are amplified and he is not alone.
Also not easy with yet another defensive partnership in front of him.

It seems like he's just so top heavy and stands so tall. He has to lean towards the way he wants to dive first to build momentum, and then jump/dive. Rather than already be set in a lower stance and ready.

Provides the slight delay needed for goals to squeak in and leaves him as a truly woeful shot stopper.
Thank you for taking the time to write the most hilarious comment I've read for sometime. He's too 'top heavy'.....feck me.

Thank you for taking the time to write the most hilarious comment I've read for sometime. He's too 'top heavy'.....feck me.

If you go by the video above, he must eat too many coconut nuts.

He's been found out, teams know to take lot of chances vs him, it will only get worse, we will win nothing with him in goal.
Ah I see, so these teams don't generally like taking a lot of chances? Do they not like scoring goals?
That probably explains why his save percentages and totals were so high, teams taking all these shots knowing that he can't save them.

If you watch the Sky highlights of the third goal there is a shot from behind the goal that shows he was right in the middle of his goal when he dived and there was nothing he could do to keep it out.
Why was he in the middle of the goal though?
The shot wasn't from a central position, and he had had time to set his feet. He was set when the shot came, just too far to his right.

Always looks a second behind the play. That's not good from any player let alone a GK.

I personally don’t trust him anymore, I lost that trust and when it’s gone, it’s gone and it ain’t coming back.
Happened with Barthez, Bosnich, Carroll, Howard.
Now, it makes no difference in the slightest what I think, but what matters is how his teammates feel, do they trust him?

Evra mentioned on the Overlap how difficult it was going from VDS who was vocal, to De Gea who was the exact opposite.
Then SAF started rotating between De Gea and Lindegaard, eventually Lindergaard got injured and De Gea was picked to be the number 1, not before SAF telling him after a bad performance that he was actually shit but he gets the number 1 spot because he trusts him, and the rest is history.

Now, De Gea was literally a kid, he was always going to make mistakes and needing time to grow into such a crucial role at a massive club.
Onana isn’t a kid he’s an experienced goalkeeper, do his defenders really trust him?
Or they’re terrified he’s going to commit another howler?

Judging goalkeepers by stats is completely mental to me, it makes no sense, he could have 90% shots saved but if be keeps conceding soft goals we are fecked.
Its the exact opposite with attackers who could do nothing the entire game but if they score one or two they’ve done their job, a goalkeepers job is never done, until the final whistle, one error could ruin all the good they’ve done the entire match.

Scoring goals wins you football matches.
Conceding soft goals losses you football matches, impossible to get anywhere with a goalie who keeps conceding soft goals.

However, to Onana’s defense, does he fully trust his defenders?
How many different variations of a back four he’s had to play with? A lot.
So when we have a goalie without a consistent back four in front of him, and defenders who don’t fully trust their keeper gives you answers why we are as poor as we’ve been, its just a mess, and with a chaotic situation at the back, the entire structure of the team is affected.

Another thing about Onana, I remember his debut against Madrid, he genuinely looked better on the ball than any of our outfield players, then he got lobbed by Bellingham because he was playing so far up the pitch.
Then, against Lens, he got lobbed from the halfway line again, and we never seem him fully confident on the ball as he looked that pre season, he didn’t play as high up the pitch and haven’t been a sweeper keeper since.

I would genuinely consider playing him in midfield in some Carabao cup or Europa League match no one cares about, would make for a cool little story, if nothing else.

Last edited:
If one could wild guess his mental flaw I think he gets lost everytime he has to leave the middle of the goal. Like when the ball is wide for example Keepers are supposed to also position so attackers don't want to cross too close to the keeper. Assume a shape that influences both shot and cross angle. Onana takes these weird angles and shapes where he is at the near post but often providing zero deterrent to send the ball into the middle. It's not that he doesn't save these, it's more that he actively invites them. Some of these tap ins shouldn't be that easy in the first place. Make matters worse he's awful recovering when he has to scramble back. Like he left the goal and never tracked where he was going.

Last edited:
Judging goalkeepers by stats is completely mental to me, it makes no sense, he could have 90% shots saved but if be keeps conceding soft goals we are fecked.
Its the exact opposite with attackers who could do nothing the entire game but if they score one or two they’ve done their job, a goalkeepers job is never done, until the final whistle, one error could ruin all the good they’ve done the entire match.
If your keeper is saving 90% then to concede the 58 goals scored against us last season in the league he would have had to have faced 580 shots on target, making 522 saves.
With the 6-ish shots on target average of last season , it would be around 23 goals conceded. The best in the league by 6.
So yeah, a keeper saving 90% and throwing the other 10% into the goal would actually not be too bad.

This guy can make 100 comical errors in a row and ETH wouldn't drop him. He kicked us out of CL but was never drop even for a game. His shot stoping is shit. His passing is nothing to shout about.

I can't stand him the most is he takes 10 mins to make a simple short pass to a defender. He slows down the game so much.

This guy can make 100 comical errors in a row and ETH wouldn't drop him. He kicked us out of CL but was never drop even for a game. His shot stoping is shit. His passing is nothing to shout about.

I can't stand him the most is he takes 10 mins to make a simple short pass to a defender. He slows down the game so much.

Yeah we were leading a few of those group games, Galatasaray away was the worst one

Ah I see, so these teams don't generally like taking a lot of chances? Do they not like scoring goals?
That probably explains why his save percentages and totals were so high, teams taking all these shots knowing that he can't save them.
Your sarcasm aside I think many teams see our weakness and adjust for it and risk losing possession even on a lower probability strike. Yes.

Hopefully someone with a sane pair of eyes above the manager sees for what it is, and buys a new GK in January. Onana should at least have some competition if the Turkish lad isn't one. It's beyond ridiculous that a player as shit as Onana is undisputed first choice and plays despite being absolute crap in so many games.

Not at fault for any of the goals today and was let down by those in front of him yet again.
Which game were you watching ? At leat two of them were easy saves, and the tird was down to poor positioning
Defenders have to have confidence in their keeper, or they are jittery and make rash dicisions, we are seeing that all the time with Onana between the posts
Agreed, and his distribution has been better too.
C4 are looking for a decent comedian to replace Jimmy Carr, you should apply

Great analysis as always Mr Varnish.
The truth always hurts.
As said before in this thread, the bloke he replaced is picking up MOTM awards for Fiorentina.
Check out my posts when we signed this clown, I said he would cost us games, and he is living up to that.

Last edited: