2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Just like the Mason Mount signing, a lot of posters correctly predicted how this signing would turn out.

He was single handedly responsible for dumping us out of Europe last season.

With a keeper like Onana, you just know that we do not stand a chance of finishing in the top four. Any semi-decent shot taken by the opposition and we will concede.

There is a reason dynasties were built on the back of great shot stoppers like Schmeichel, VDS, Buffon, Cech, Neuer and Allison. The sheer number of points they rescue and put doubts in the minds of attackers that they will not be beaten.

We do not stand a chance with this clown in goal.
City have won 4 in a row and a Treble with Ederson, who I don't think goes into that great shot stopper category.

Yes, agreed our system certainly doesn't help him to play to his strengths but my point is that his weaknesses aren't sufficient to make up for them. Even in a side that's more geared to the way he wants to play, his subpar goalkeeping attributes let him down to a point where the bad outweighs the good. I'd rather have a keeper that's decent with ball at feet, though nothing special, and a great actual goalkeeper than a keeper that's great with ball at feet and a below average goalkeeper.

Re the Salah goal, freeze frames don't help him but even at regular speed in the game he looked poorly positioned and gave himself very little chance. Salah couldn't believe his luck.

He was one of the best goalkeepers in Europe when he was at Inter in a proper functioning setup with a proper manager

He was one of the best goalkeepers in Europe when he was at Inter in a proper functioning setup with a proper manager
I saw very little of him at Inter so not well placed to comment, but I do remember when we signed him there being a lot of skepticism about his goalkeeping ability.

The key phrase there being Europe. He was our version of Onana in the league that last year for Inter, but looked great in the CL.

Also I’m not convinced tactical setup really has much of an effect on somebody being able to save basic shots. Yes, he’ll face fewer shots so will concede less, but it won’t change the underlying fact that he’s not a great goalkeeper.

The key phrase there being Europe. He was our version of Onana in the league that last year for Inter, but looked great in the CL.

Also I’m not convinced tactical setup really has much of an effect on somebody being able to save basic shots. Yes, he’ll face fewer shots so will concede less, but it won’t change the underlying fact that he’s not a great goalkeeper.

He can save basic shots, he litterally saved more than any other goalkeeper last season, the tactics play in to it a lot when the goalkeeper is facing 20-30 shots per game and constantly being left with 2 or 3 attackers unmarked in his box.

I saw very little of him at Inter so not well placed to comment, but I do remember when we signed him there being a lot of skepticism about his goalkeeping ability.

He kept more clean sheets in the Champions League than any other keeper while at Inter

He can save basic shots, he litterally saved more than any other goalkeeper last season, the tactics play in to it a lot when the goalkeeper is facing 20-30 shots per game and constantly being left with 2 or 3 attackers unmarked in his box.

My use of the word basic was maybe hyperbole. But I don’t agree that he’s up to much as a goalkeeper, or that the stats disprove what my eyes are telling me when I’m watching him. He’s mediocre, we can and should be aiming for better.

My use of the word basic was maybe hyperbole. But I don’t agree that he’s up to much as a goalkeeper, or that the stats disprove what my eyes are telling me when I’m watching him. He’s mediocre, we can and should be aiming for better.

There arnt maby keepers in the world if any that wouldnt look mediocre in the teams weve been fielding for the last 18 months.

There arnt maby keepers in the world if any that wouldnt look mediocre in the teams weve been fielding for the last 18 months.

I’d struggle to name an ideal keeper as well tbh. My ideal keeper is imposing and controls his area well, coming out for crosses and marshalling the defence in front of him. There don’t seem to be many of those types of keeper around anymore. It’s either goal line shot stopper, or Onana style sweeper keepers.

Saying he saved more shots than anyone is just an example of how you can manipulate selected stats to tell pretty much any story you want.

It's not hard to save more shots than most keepers when you're facing a lot more shots than most keepers in the first place. A certain percentage of those shots would be simple enough to save, like in any football match. If he faced more of those types of shots than most keepers, then he's going to have saved more of those kind of shots than other keepers. It doesn't mean anything.

I think a better indicator is how often does he make saves where you think "wow, how did he save that?" I can recall a few, but it's not many is it? Then balance that out against how many goals we've conceeded that were clearly a goalkeeping error.

And then there's the middle ground, where it's not an obvious howler, but it just seems such a soft goal to let in. We conceed so many of those.

I've been trying to take the positives for ages, and I really like him as a character, but it's looking more and more like he just isn't good enough unfortunately.

I can't shake the Barthez comparisons.
Seems likeable but tries risky stuff with his passing and positioning.
Lets in saveable shots because of poor positioning.
Sadly, I just can't see it in him.

Dear Football gods, can we for once get a keeper than is dominant and can save shots whilst not hoofing it when under pressure? Thanks.

It feels like you haven't watched that video.
One of them is a screamer into the top corner :lol:
Watched it five times now. Yes some of them were worldies, but most are just typical Onana that we've seen here.

The best one was when he charged out and still got beaten, I will never blame him for showing bravery and at least making an attempt to charge down the attacker. The worst one is 0:38, laughable positioning. His deficiencies get masked over easier when he plays for a better team like Inter.

Watched it five times now. Yes some of them were worldies, but most are just typical Onana that we've seen here.

The best one was when he charged out and still got beaten, I will never blame him for showing bravery and at least making an attempt to charge down the attacker. The worst one is 0:38, laughable positioning. His deficiencies get masked over easier when he plays for a better team like Inter.
If you're suggesting most of those goals are errors/poor keeping then you either need to watch them another 5 times or hope we scout superman.

If you're suggesting most of those goals are errors/poor keeping then you either need to watch them another 5 times or hope we scout superman.
Are you suggesting he looks better in that video than he does for us?

Warning: catchy tune

Thanks. Pretty much confirms what I'd assumed - looks like more of the same. Not as many howlers as he's shown so far here but definitely not 'one of the best in Europe' performances.

I could see quite a few improving under a better manager/system. I just don't think Onana even has the basic fundamentals to make it here.

I agree. Out of all of them, he seems to be the furthest behind

Are you suggesting he looks better in that video than he does for us?
Apologies, didn't realise you were posting a video highlighting that people are constantly criticising him for goals he couldn't do much about.

Thanks. Pretty much confirms what I'd assumed - looks like more of the same. Not as many howlers as he's shown so far here but definitely not 'one of the best in Europe' performances.
Ask any Inter fan and they'll tell you Sommer is a huge upgrade from Onana. He's and above average stopper, his only strength is he's a decent passer. It seems like he started as a midfielder and got shifted to goalkeeper without learning the basics.

I think he's scared of the ball and freezes for a split second every time someone shoots.

every time someone shoots and it’s not directly at him, I expect a goal. We conceded so many shots so I’m sure his stats are artificially high. The absolute acid test would be a compilation that had all his goals conceded and all his shots saved. I bet we would see lots of saves that any other goalkeeper would make and lots of goals that any other goalkeeper would also save.

I literally hate “statistics” because they can be adapted to suit any narrative. The eye test beats it every time

every time someone shoots and it’s not directly at him, I expect a goal. We conceded so many shots so I’m sure his stats are artificially high. The absolute acid test would be a compilation that had all his goals conceded and all his shots saved. I bet we would see lots of saves that any other goalkeeper would make and lots of goals that any other goalkeeper would also save.

I literally hate “statistics” because they can be adapted to suit any narrative. The eye test beats it every time

He saved 73.4% of the shots he faced last season (despite giving the opposition 20-30 per game) which is a higher than any other goalkeeper in the Premier League.

Why was Salah allowed to make that run in to our box unmarked, if he is marked that goal isnt scored
You can say this about almost any goal ever conceded by any team. The whole point of a goalkeeper is to keep the ball out of the net, whether their defenders fecked up or not

He saved 73.4% of the shots he faced last season (despite giving the opposition 20-30 per game) which is a higher than any other goalkeeper in the Premier League.
Did we really average 20-30 shots at target against us last season? I mean it’s possible as I recall the dross we’ve witnessed, but it does sound exaggerated

The funny thing about the moaning about Onana to start the season is he hasn’t even come close to being in bad form.

He still has a level of bad to tap into, maybe even two levels. This place will be on fire when he has one of his games where he gifts a couple of goals in that lose us a match.

I’m choosing not to be too critical of him right now because this is the decent version of Onana. It won’t be long before he shows us his really bad side.

The funny thing about the moaning about Onana to start the season is he hasn’t even come close to being in bad form.

He still has a level of bad to tap into, maybe even two levels. This place will be on fire when he has one of his games where he gifts a couple of goals in that lose us a match.

I’m choosing not to be too critical of him right now because this is the decent version of Onana. It won’t be long before he shows us his really bad side.
This moaning has nothing to do with his actual performances this season tbh.

I wish we’d given Kovar a chance. We couldn’t possibly be worse off.

This moaning has nothing to do with his actual performances this season tbh.
That’s my point. Posters are worrying about something that hasn’t really happened yet this season.

I’m choosing peace because I know it won’t be long before he really starts churning out shite performances.

Did we really average 20-30 shots at target against us last season? I mean it’s possible as I recall the dross we’ve witnessed, but it does sound exaggerated
Averaged around 6-ish shots against us in the league, we went through a period of games where we consistently had around 20 shots against us.
58 goals conceded from a XGA of around 65.5 if you're into that sort of thing.

Sure but again that’s a statistic that has nothing to do with my statement. What if 50% of the shots he “saved” were directly at him and you and I could have saved (I’m not saying they were!)? What if a large percentage of the shots he didn’t save were savable by other keepers? This is what I mean. The statistics mean nothing compared to the eye test

Ask any Inter fan and they'll tell you Sommer is a huge upgrade from Onana. He's and above average stopper, his only strength is he's a decent passer. It seems like he started as a midfielder and got shifted to goalkeeper without learning the basics.
He's really not .... I'd take Onana any day over Sommer.
Sommer struggles with crosses and his aerial reach is non-existent .... and is worse than Onana when it comes to passing.
With regards to shot-stopping, they are about the same (maybe Sommer will have been better at that when he was younger).

The better organized a team, the more their GK has an idea on the types of shots he's going to face (which will help him).
With a defence like Man United's a GK can have no idea of what will come his way, and that will make any GK look worse.

I never expect him to save anything. Like once there's something that needs saving I.E. something not directly at him, I expect it to be a goal

He is like a third pole in the middle of goal. Anything that doesn't hit him ends up into a goal but hey, to his credit, he does know how to pass a ball. Its like having a poor man Paul Scholes playing in goal.