2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Not really.
Nani was a winger that could play on either wing with equal effect and was as good with his left as his right.
Amad looks best suited to the right and possibly central and no disrespect to Nani but Amad seems the smarter footballer to me.
Nani at his best was unplayable. The issue with Nani was he was a confidence player and his bottom level tanked when he wasn't given trust, nothing about bad decision making or passing nonsense that I'm seeing from a couple of posts.

We have not seen Amad at his best yet so in essence it's not even a sensible comparison to make. Fundamentally they're different players to me as well.

Anyone else hate his name? Amad is like the opposite of something that rolls off the tongue. Diallo is a bit better but he’s basically never referred to that way.
For me his name rolls out the tongue easily, I am African myself.

It could be a version of the name "Ahmed", I think perhaps it's the difference in cultures, I find some names in the west hard to pronounce, especially last names of Eastern Europeans and Germans.

It’s mad we’ve blown £160m on Sancho and Antony to fill that right wing spot when we’ve had this kid on the books all along and looks levels above the pair of them.

Antony was the dumb move. Already had Sancho and an emerging Amad. And yet we spunked £80million on a 20million player

Nani at his best was unplayable. The issue with Nani was he was a confidence player and his bottom level tanked when he wasn't given trust, nothing about bad decision making or passing nonsense that I'm seeing from a couple of posts.

We have not seen Amad at his best yet so in essence it's not even a sensible comparison to make. Fundamentally they're different players to me as well.
Nani never got out of the "he's an exciting player" phase. He only had two good seasons under his belt. Like you said, he struggled to get out of his bottom level.

Brilliant player when on his game.

I feel like Garnacho was sometimes overplayed last season. Hopefully ETH manages time better this year and actually uses Sancho and Amad and gives him and Rashy a rest especially with our Thursday-Saturday schedule.

I think it will be Thursday-Sunday, but I hope you are right. I felt that Garnacho was overplayed a little, and with a long season ahead, most of these players will get plenty of games.

Best thing about him is that he rarely relies on his pace. I always thought he didn't have enough pace until I saw him last season because he doesn't need to use it.

After persisting so long with a below par Antony I expect Amad to be given more than a fair chance this season

Nani never got out of the "he's an exciting player" phase. He only had two good seasons under his belt. Like you said, he struggled to get out of his bottom level.

That's not true. He clearly reached his best with us around 2010 and by the 2011/12 season was undoubtedly our best player, where no PL defense could stop him, both creatively and as a goalscorer because he could link up, find the right pass or score. The idea that he never got out of his developmental stage is nonsense.

Amad is gold. We need to give him a proper chance the season. We have been begging for a winger who can make the right decision more often than not.

The issue with Rashford, Garnacho and Anthony is that they always want to cut in and shoot every time. To balance that you need a winger on the other side who can mix it up a bit.

Honestly I'd start the season with Garnacho on the left and Amad on the right then see how we go from there.

Same. Also Nani's physique was crazy. Amad still looks a bit lightweight to me.
There were a few periods yesterday where his upper body strength surprised me a lot. Even at Sunderland he looked a little lightweight at times, so maybe it's an area he's been working on?

He obviously had a massive point to prove playing against Rangers, so let's hope he carries that on. The manager clearly likes him and he's a really fun player to watch.

That's not true. He clearly reached his best with us around 2010 and by the 2011/12 season was undoubtedly our best player, where no PL defense could stop him, both creatively and as a goalscorer because he could link up, find the right pass or score. The idea that he never got out of his developmental stage is nonsense.
This. We didn't stand by him to help him recover his best form with managers preferring the work rate of Young and Valencia despite their offensive limitations. If there was a player to persist with, play into form, it was him because on his day he was unplayable.

I have an irrational liking for him, there are few moments where he is extremely nonchalant, generally careless flicks or very soft passes but he has a lot of potential and plays the right way 90% of the time. In fact I'm 100% sure that he has the ability to be a long term option as a 10 for United, in the mould of a young David Silva. In the mean time, I really hope that he is the starting right winger this season.

Me says "why interchangeable"?

Judging by quality, effort, and ability, our STARTING attacking trio should be

1. Garna - left
2. Hojlund - center
3. Amad - right

Zirkzee can play some games, and come off at 75min, wince Hojlund never plays a lot of minutes, and Zirkzee can compete with Hojlund if he can, only healthy. I can also see switching to two strikers attack and taking off wingers for
midfielders, for some games or if we are trying to shut games down in certain games

Rashford and Sancho have not done anything yet to show that they deserve wings more than Garna or Amad. On the contrary. And don't even get me started about Antony. The only reason he is still here is the idiotic money we paid for him and double idiotic wages we are paying him

Apparently Erik said about Amad, post match: "it has to be his year, he is not an inexperienced player, anymore" which sounds like they are bot selling him, and that Erik is open to give him playing time as long as Amad delivers

LOVE the souns of that. Best players must play.
It's a squad game. I love Amad but I think it's quite obvious that one of the aims for this season will be to get Rashford firing again - he's the only forward we have who has form for a 20+ goal season.

Garnacho arguably looked better on the right than he did the left last season so I think it's fine for him and Amad to share minutes there. We have to remember Amad has less than 600 minutes of Premier League football in the 3 years he's been at United. It's fine to start giving him regular minutes without necessarily having to start him every game.

Ideally we'd shift Antony and Sancho to get another in so we have a more potent front line. I'm not convinced either of those two are ever going to amount to anything in a United shirt.

Nani's decision making always seemed to be better when he played on the right. He was capable of being equally brilliant on either side, but his consistency on the left was all over the place whereas on the right he seemed a lot more consistent. I don't think it's a coincidence that the only season we played him almost exclusively on that side he was the best player in the league and was the main man in us winning the PL.

One of the biggest mistakes that I do think SAF made in his time here was moving Nani back to the left to fit Valencia into the team. We really should have kept him on the right, and in hindsight the best move would have been to move Valencia back to fullback a couple of seasons earlier than we did. Imagine the utter devastation that a top-form Nani and Valencia together would have inflicted down that right side.

ETH comments suggests that this will be a make or break season for Diallo and he will get his chances.

"The United manager drew a distinction between Diallo and the young United team that played in the second half at Murrayfield. ‘We have to see Amad in a different way,’ said Ten Hag. ‘Of course, he is still young but he is not inexperienced anymore. Last season he had bad times with bad injuries and before that he was in the Championship and he had a great season (with Sunderland).
At the end of last season he had a very good time in our first-team and played some good games. Now this has to be the year. It’s great that he started like this."

I guess first world problems but Garnacho is much better on the right so diallo is going to be competing with him while we keep playing Rashford on the left hoping he rediscovers his form
This is fine, Garnacho will also play on the left so plenty of game time to share between Amad and Garnacho. But I still think Antony will get at least same amount of minutes to Amad, that is THE problem.
Nani was all about gym and muscles, but Amad has far better balance.

Antony was the dumb move. Already had Sancho and an emerging Amad. And yet we spunked £80million on a 20million player

Problem is Sancho having show any Dortmund's performance and seems like he cannot adapt tempo and antagonistic in premier league and he is not like to play at right side.
And Amad at that time was not the player after his loan to Sunderland.
But we needed a right winger after MG is gone..

80m was a very high price for Antony and he was unexpected and is still under-performed, but everything would be happened when you had an uncompleted board/CEO/Owner and failed/inefficiency negotiation team within a decade. It would be a much cheaper if we catch him on early July on that year..

Is it a language or dialect thing, maybe? It flows really nice for me, as a Norwegian.

For me his name rolls out the tongue easily, I am African myself.

It could be a version of the name "Ahmed", I think perhaps it's the difference in cultures, I find some names in the west hard to pronounce, especially last names of Eastern Europeans and Germans.

Might be this then! Sounds like it works better in other languages.

Amad is now deceptively strong and shields himself and the ball with ease. Whatever strength and conditioning regiment he’s on is working wonders. He’s become very hard to dispossess without fouling and will be a huge ‘dangerous area foul-winning asset’ because his close control is a magnet to poor and mistimed tackles.

As I mentioned last season, he's just like a version of Mainoo in attack. Rarely loses the ball and so hard to dispossess! Football looks so easy for him

I hope he can keep this up, and replicate that level of performance in competitive fixtures. If he does, the right wing spot will be all his.

I may be getting carried away but all this 'he's ready to start' stuff and I think he's ready to not only start but be the star of our front 3

It's a squad game. I love Amad but I think it's quite obvious that one of the aims for this season will be to get Rashford firing again - he's the only forward we have who has form for a 20+ goal season.

Garnacho arguably looked better on the right than he did the left last season so I think it's fine for him and Amad to share minutes there. We have to remember Amad has less than 600 minutes of Premier League football in the 3 years he's been at United. It's fine to start giving him regular minutes without necessarily having to start him every game.

Ideally we'd shift Antony and Sancho to get another in so we have a more potent front line. I'm not convinced either of those two are ever going to amount to anything in a United shirt.
I feel the same about Sancho and Antony

I also agree you are correct about what club thinks about Rashford plans. They probably hope Van Nistelrooy can make him great again

I don't believe Rashford comeback is going to happen, however

This. We didn't stand by him to help him recover his best form with managers preferring the work rate of Young and Valencia despite their offensive limitations. If there was a player to persist with, play into form, it was him because on his day he was unplayable.
Yeah, exactly you're supposed to give trust to the genius footballer rather than the workhorse and physicality monster, but we did the opposite.

Back to Amad though, I agree with those saying he can also be a very good #10, the way he moves with and without the ball and his ability to keep and pass under pressure screams of someone that would be at home in the middle of a ball dominant team. We just need to see more of him. He definitely has that special something.

He was never our best player. I love Nani as much as anyone else but you'd think he was a world class player going by caf.

Yeah, exactly you're supposed to give trust to the genius footballer rather than the workhorse and physicality monster, but we did the opposite.

Back to Amad though, I agree with those saying he can also be a very good #10, the way he moves with and without the ball and his ability to keep and pass under pressure screams of someone that would be at home in the middle of a ball dominant team. We just need to see more of him. He definitely has that special something.
I think he could have the same issues that Mata had in the middle in that he wasn't physical enough to be a factor off the ball and on it he could be knocked off it rather too easily so games passed him by. The technical ability is there, I just don't know if he would have the physicality to turn into the third midfielder off the ball like Bruno and the likes of KDB do.

He needs to improve his defensive game; tracking back and helping the right-back
I've not ever noticed this as a weakness of his. Just think it's something people throw at young wingers. He has far better workrate than say, Rashford.

He needs to improve his defensive game; tracking back and helping the right-back
I thought he did really well in that regard against rangers. He helped his full back out. Obviously this is something he’ll improve on. On the plus side I think he’s capable of being one of our most creative players and he’s exactly what we need in a RW. Can score and can create

Diallo has so much talent on the ball. His technical level is very high, I don't see that being his issue, but he must bring everything together. Big season, there's a huge opportunity there for him.

I think he could have the same issues that Mata had in the middle in that he wasn't physical enough to be a factor off the ball and on it he could be knocked off it rather too easily so games passed him by. The technical ability is there, I just don't know if he would have the physicality to turn into the third midfielder off the ball like Bruno and the likes of KDB do.
Amad never easily gets knocked off the ball, I don't think he would have an issue there. And Bruno is a terrible 10 for a ball dominant team by the way, the guy more often than not treats the ball like a hot potato and his positional discipline is questionable.

Nani's decision making always seemed to be better when he played on the right. He was capable of being equally brilliant on either side, but his consistency on the left was all over the place whereas on the right he seemed a lot more consistent. I don't think it's a coincidence that the only season we played him almost exclusively on that side he was the best player in the league and was the main man in us winning the PL.

One of the biggest mistakes that I do think SAF made in his time here was moving Nani back to the left to fit Valencia into the team. We really should have kept him on the right, and in hindsight the best move would have been to move Valencia back to fullback a couple of seasons earlier than we did. Imagine the utter devastation that a top-form Nani and Valencia together would have inflicted down that right side.
Valencia did play as a fullback a couple of times with an in form Nani ahed of him. It was like cheating playing FIFA.

He was never our best player. I love Nani as much as anyone else but you'd think he was a world class player going by caf.

in 2011 he was, easily

short but sweet peak but he was insanely good that season.. and very good in one or two others