Amad Diallo Ivory Coast flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
It was only tough to move ahead of other wing options because Ten Hag plays favourites and picks underperforming players. That's not justification.

I can see fans deluding themselves that the reason he's doing well this season is because he was "managed well" last season, which is just drivel trying to make excuses for the manager not recognising talent staring him in the face. Amad is good in spite of how he was managed last season, not because of it. If we'd have given him 5 months first team football last season, we'd be getting a better and more experienced version of him now.

Agreed. Ten Hag deserves zero credit for Amad's performances. He did overlook him way too often last season.

He's been handled fine by the club so far, he's now getting his chance in the team and he's taking it, it's not in spite of anyone.

We spent a combined £160 odd million on Antony & Sancho when we had Amad sitting in our ranks the whole time. I’m glad he’s finally getting a proper chance, and looking good with it, but he really should have gotten it sooner. The talent has always been there.

You can surely respond without the assumptious and condensending opening

Amad was declared fit in late December of 2023 and he was our best attacker in his first game back against Nottingham Forest, replacing an ineffective Antony. He could've been used more coming off the bench for Garnacho at the least and over the criminally underperforming Antony. Instead we had Forson seemingly ahead of Amad going by his substitution appearances against Wolves and City while Amad rode the bench and Forsons start against Fulham

In the 11 ensuing matches after Amad's return match he sat on the bench 8 times, wasn't in the squad twice (he was ill for the Spurs 2-2 draw) and only played 10 minutes against Fulham in our 1-2 loss at home. Again Amad was generally considered a bright spark when he came off the bench against Fulham. Forson started that match and looked lost.

The next match was against 115 FC, and Amad sat on the bench while Forson and Antony came on for Rashford and Garnacho. Forson again looked lost.

Why did Amad ride the bench so much during that spell when he looked sharp in his few minutes? Rashford and Antony were poor and Forson was a deer in the headlights in every match he played. Forson didn't make the match squads while it was reported that he wasn't looking to sign a new contract. We could've used Amad more during that spell. His omission was inexplicable really when we needed options and only Garnacho looked a threat on the wings.

So you can agree you were wrong in saying Forson was ahead of Amad?

Last season, he came of a injury when he was actually starting games in pre season. The team was not playing well at all and Amad didnt get his chances when he was fit, but lets not act as if Forson was chosen to play over him when he played 68 minutes, not even 1 full game worth of minutes.

The games you are talking about, most of them Forson came on for 2/3 minutes, I am sure you will be here complaining that Amad got 2/3 min sub appearances if it was the other way around.

Regardless of what you think of Ten Hag, when a player does well for him, he is loyal to the player, i.e Antony first season, Rashford etc... So yes, while we might not think its the right thing to do, his stubbornness for playing Rashford can be questioned. I agree with the points that Amad should have got more minutes but I wouldnt agree when fans make baseless claims.

We spent a combined £160 odd million on Antony & Sancho when we had Amad sitting in our ranks the whole time. I’m glad he’s finally getting a proper chance, and looking good with it, but he really should have gotten it sooner. The talent has always been there.

His Sunderland loan spell was crucial to his development. He was talented but making no real impact - something Mowbray said out loud in press conferences. They worked on directness, finishing and taking on his man in the right parts of the pitch and phases of the game. All of those things visibly improved and the result was his 14 goals, 4 assists and YPotY award.

Then he was injured until January 2024. After that, I fully agree he should have been given his chances much earlier. But it's misleading to suggest he was ready to be a starter for us when we signed him, or that not doing so is the reason we overspent on Antony and Sancho, or that decisions like the Sunderland loan weren't to his benefit.

So you can agree you were wrong in saying Forson was ahead of Amad?

Last season, he came of a injury when he was actually starting games in pre season. The team was not playing well at all and Amad didnt get his chances when he was fit, but lets not act as if Forson was chosen to play over him when he played 68 minutes, not even 1 full game worth of minutes.

The games you are talking about, most of them Forson came on for 2/3 minutes, I am sure you will be here complaining that Amad got 2/3 min sub appearances if it was the other way around.

Regardless of what you think of Ten Hag, when a player does well for him, he is loyal to the player, i.e Antony first season, Rashford etc... So yes, while we might not think its the right thing to do, his stubbornness for playing Rashford can be questioned. I agree with the points that Amad should have got more minutes but I wouldnt agree when fans make baseless claims.

Forson got more PL and FA cup minutes than Amad did from December 30 when Amad returned from injury to mid April when Amad finally got 45 minutes against Bournemouth. Ultimately Forson wasn't ahead, but how could one tell at the time? Was Ten Hag really managing Amad's return from injury for three months? If he had to work his way into the starting lineup or be considered for more minutes, why was Forson suddenly the one getting crumbles of minutes ahead of him and a single starting role?

We saw Amad being overlooked after his fine return from injury, and Forson seemed third choice on the right behind Garnacho and Antony based on his minutes and preference to him coming off the bench ahead of Amad even when it was only for a few minutes.

I didn't mention it in my previous post, but Amad also wasn't involved in FA cup ties against Wigan and Newport. Forson made an appearance against Newport and Amad was an unused substitute. Forson was on the bench against Wigan and Amad wasn't in the squad

United supporters and Amad himself probably thought he was out of favor, going by his liking of a post by a Sunderland supporter who said United were a 'waste of Amad's time'. Perhaps you missed this

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-amad-diallo-sunderland-31990282

Amad even deleted all united related content on his social media, claiming he was focusing on Ramadan. However he changed his main picture to him playing for Sunderland from the season prior.

Something wasn't being communicated to him by Ten Hag. I don't think Ten Hag handled his game time well during that long period from late December to mid April when Amad finally played 45 mins against Bournemouth

Last edited:
datamb-no-premier-league-winger-has-more-progressive-runs-v0-yla2oxl63rpd1.jpg
GXxiZwaW4AARiwK

I really don't get the people that slot in Garnacho in lineup predictions over Amad. This is the guy you want out on the RW feeding Hojlund and Zirkzee

Come the end of the season Rashford, Garnacho and Amad should have a very similar number of minutes.

Currently I'd choose Amad plus one of Rashford/Garnacho. As Amad plays differently to the move direct style of the other 2.

Playing both Rashford and Garnacho could become a bit samey on both wings. Better to mix it up a bit!

GXxiZwaW4AARiwK

I really don't get the people that slot in Garnacho in lineup predictions over Amad. This is the guy you want out on the RW feeding Hojlund and Zirkzee
It's called rotation, both are still relatively young and inexperienced players, Garnacho played a lot of games last season and late in the season it really showed and he was less effective, ETH get's a lot of stick for some things but this isn't the one he should get stick for, this is a sensible approach, which in the long run will be of benefit to both players and ultimately the team

GXxiZwaW4AARiwK

Happy to see he is coming good, hopefully he will go distance here.
Like to see his directness and clever play in next 10 years.