Amad Diallo Ivory Coast flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
I take your point...I hear it endlessly that nobody has improved at United under this manager or that manager...of course it's a combination of factors and most credit should always go to the player himself.

But his development and path into the first team has been fantastic IMO. For that I give EtH props.

If I can say that without derailing the thread :devil:
One aspect I think it's fair enough to give Ten Hag some credit for is the workrate our young flair players are showing.

I don't think Garnacho or Amad would be working quite as hard off the ball as they do under some of our other recent managers.

Still a long way to go...but you can add Amad to the list of young players that have improved under EtH.

Amad has been the most consistent performer so far this season...looking forward to seeing him against CP and Spurs. Those games will be a good test for him.

Ten Hag has done nothing for Amad. He's only playing him now because he's totally lost faith in Antony. This is the same manager who played Forson over Amad.

Amad has shown this ability at the club and out on loan. All he needed was some trust and a run

I get what you're saying but it's more a case of him improving whilst EtH happened to be manager rather than because.

If anything he owns more of his recent development to Tony Mowbray whilst at Sunderland, who not only made him the central focus of his team but began encouraging him to demand the ball more from his teammates once he saw Amad's quality.

Yup, all the quotes coming out from Mowbray had him down as almost a fanboy. Proper did us a favour with his nurturing and developing.

Although having said that, as much as I loathe ETH for not playing Amad more after he came back from injury last season, iirc in the 23 summer tour he was very complimentary of Amad AND Mainoo. So much to the point iirc that he started Amad in all the games. It was only injury that stopped him and up stepped the opportunity for Garnacho in some ways.

Those injuries to Amad and Mainoo were unfortunate for both and ETH.

Ten Hag has done nothing for Amad. He's only playing him now because he's totally lost faith in Antony. This is the same manager who played Forson over Amad.

Amad has shown this ability at the club and out on loan. All he needed was some trust and a run

In fairness I do think there was an overall club strategy there to try and persuade Forson to sign a new contract alongside the desire to not overplay Amad after a significant injury absence. It did not work out the way the club wanted but even as someone who does not rate ETH I don't believe he genuinely thinks Forson is a better player.

The best RW at the club, will be ridiculous if he loses his place again because Ten Hag thinks he doesn't press enough or something.

He can still get a lot better but what we're seeing from him at the moment is much better than what we've seen from Sancho and Antony.

In fairness I do think there was an overall club strategy there to try and persuade Forson to sign a new contract alongside the desire to not overplay Amad after a significant injury absence. It did not work out the way the club wanted but even as someone who does not rate ETH I don't believe he genuinely thinks Forson is a better player.

That's a fair assessment and one that was mentioned at the time as I recall. The only problem is such an approach to game management posy injury hasn't been uniformly applies by Ten Hag.

He's rushed back many of his key players on occasion, even aggravating their injuries and causing others. Shaw and Martinez spring to mind

In one fecking match. Which is something people really need to get over. His team selections since have made it abundantly clear how he really rated those two players.

The “he’s only picking Amad because Antony is shite” narrative needs to die a death too. If he didn’t rate Amad he would be starting Garnacho on the right wing instead of him. But he isn’t. Which has absolutely nothing to do with how good or bad Antony is.

Which he has earned and is now getting.

He spent a fair chunk of last season out injured, almost 5 months, not playing him was as much about protecting him on his return as anything else. You can't blame ETH for not playing him when he was injured or recovering.

Although we can bitch and moan about how few minutes Amad got last season after he was declared fully fit, here we are now and he's putting in very good performances. May it long continue.

alongside the desire to not overplay Amad after a significant injury absence.
Come on...

Amad returned in December and had a decent cameo off the bench, and was fit for the rest of the season after that. The fact we barely seen him on the pitch in the 2nd half of the season is nothing to do with his injury.

Which he has earned and is now getting.

He spent a fair chunk of last season out injured, almost 5 months, not playing him was as much about protecting him on his return as anything else. You can't blame ETH for not playing him when he was injured or recovering.
People will bend over backwards to make excuses for the manager. He made his return to the team in December, he was not "recovering" after that, he was in the match day squads, he just wasn't getting on the pitch. There was no reason to sit him on the bench for months on end afterwards.

In one fecking match. Which is something people really need to get over. His team selections since have made it abundantly clear how he really rated those two players.

The “he’s only picking Amad because Antony is shite” narrative needs to die a death too. If he didn’t rate Amad he would be starting Garnacho on the right wing instead of him. But he isn’t. Which has absolutely nothing to do with how good or bad Antony is.

Fair enough. However, Ten Hag also overlooked a fit Amad and had Forson come off the bench ahead of him in a few games, like against Newport County in the FA cup and against Wolves and Man city in the league

Come on...

Amad returned in December and had a decent cameo off the bench, and was fit for the rest of the season after that. The fact we barely seen him on the pitch in the 2nd half of the season is nothing to do with his injury.

People will bend over backwards to make excuses for the manager. He made his return to the team in December, he was not "recovering" after that, he was in the match day squads, he just wasn't getting on the pitch. There was no reason to sit him on the bench for months on end afterwards.
Not that I completely agree, but I believe Hag generally likes to use time before bedding in players into the team, especially younger ones. He did the same with Garnacho although Mainoo seems to be an exception.

Either way, that was last year, who cares about that this year. He's playing and is doing well. He has huge amounts of talent, I think he can go far, ive always had hope for him. He also seems to have the right attitude which is a total bonus and he plays absolutely for the team rather than himself. Just sit back and enjoy because I'm really hoping to seem more of him this year and how he develops into his talent. Key few years for him ahead.

Come on...

You don't actually know that. Fletcher said last year that they had him focusing on some aspects of his game that he needed to improve to make the first team and that it was starting to click with him. I do suspect Ten Hag was too cautious/suspicious with him last year but we don't see the players in training and, on the face of it, he's currently hungry and raring to make an impact so his management wasn't all bad.

I thought he showed a burst of acceleration that I hadn't seen from him before on Saturday, he doesn't have the pace over long distance but was really sharp over 5-10 yards. Having that will make him so much more difficult to play against!

We weren't happy with our attacking options but who knows - if Rashford can get into some good/decent form, Amad and Garnacho continue to improve + Antony can be useful in Europa and domestic cups, it may not be that bad a season in terms of our attacking performances. We're surely behind City, Arsenal and Liverpool, but hopefully can be better than others, with ten Hag or some other manager in charge.

Come on...

Yeah the myth that Amad didn’t play much post Xmas just because of a previous injury needs to die.

He was declared fully fit in mid December.

Come on...

He was out injured for about 4 months with a knee injury & made his first appearance on Dec 30th. He was then on the bench for a few weeks, played against Fulham & in the cup a week later. I think his next game he scored the winner against Liverpool.

That period from middle Jan to March/April was all just about making sure he was right and getting him up to speed, it was basically his pre season. From middle of April on he appeared in nearly every game and he's continuing to do so.

Long may it last, I really like him as a player. Shows a great attitude and has great technique and dribbling. I just hope he can keep improving.

Our best attacker

tq7s4lugcdpd1.jpeg

These sort of take just shows that you dont actually watch the football, instead go on youtube and take others view on it.

Forson played a grand total of 68 minutes in the PL last season, Amad played 388 but ofcourse that doesn't suit your agenda so you make stuff up.

Its funny fans will use the line of its the managers fault because he plays players too much and doesnt let them recover so we get injuries, when he lets a player coming from a knee injury recover and then put him into the team, Ten Hag played a youth player over him...

yeah right, get your facts right first.

It just shows that fans watch their youtube fan channels and then decide that what they say is true, instead of actually watching football.

Forson played 68 mins of PL football and Amad 388, yet some people believe Forson was ahead of Amad.

Come on...

He did miss significant time and was not fully match fit on his return as is always the case for a player coming back mid season compared to players who are playing every week. Factor in that Rashford is virtually undroppable on the left and Garnacho was having a great season on the right and that limited his opportunities. He was also behind Antony coming off the bench because Antony had a full pre season and was match fit. I think you are misunderstanding the point, his injury dropped him in the pecking order and it was tough to move ahead of the other wing options coming back mid season, this year he is fully fit coming off a great pre season and he has forced his way into the side.

My worry is that as soon Mount or Antony show any glimpse of form, he will be the first one dropped

I think he's proven himself and gotten into the first team. It's up to the others to take their chances and dislodge him from that RW. Ten Hag's somewhat fair like that. I think the more concerning thing for him is Bruno taking his spot because he played that RW role quite often under Ten Hag. If we want to squeeze Hojlund, Zirkzee and Bruno into the same team then Bruno probably gets moved to the right.

ETH chose Forson over Amad v Fulham last season. He was subbed off and never started a game again.

These sort of take just shows that you dont actually watch the football, instead go on youtube and take others view on it.

Forson played a grand total of 68 minutes in the PL last season, Amad played 388 but ofcourse that doesn't suit your agenda so you make stuff up.

Its funny fans will use the line of its the managers fault because he plays players too much and doesnt let them recover so we get injuries, when he lets a player coming from a knee injury recover and then put him into the team, Ten Hag played a youth player over him...

yeah right, get your facts right first.

You can surely respond without the assumptious and condensending opening

Amad was declared fit in late December of 2023 and he was our best attacker in his first game back against Nottingham Forest, replacing an ineffective Antony. He could've been used more coming off the bench for Garnacho at the least and over the criminally underperforming Antony. Instead we had Forson seemingly ahead of Amad going by his substitution appearances against Wolves and City while Amad rode the bench and Forsons start against Fulham

In the 11 ensuing matches after Amad's return match he sat on the bench 8 times, wasn't in the squad twice (he was ill for the Spurs 2-2 draw) and only played 10 minutes against Fulham in our 1-2 loss at home. Again Amad was generally considered a bright spark when he came off the bench against Fulham. Forson started that match and looked lost.

The next match was against 115 FC, and Amad sat on the bench while Forson and Antony came on for Rashford and Garnacho. Forson again looked lost.

Why did Amad ride the bench so much during that spell when he looked sharp in his few minutes? Rashford and Antony were poor and Forson was a deer in the headlights in every match he played. Forson didn't make the match squads while it was reported that he wasn't looking to sign a new contract. We could've used Amad more during that spell. His omission was inexplicable really when we needed options and only Garnacho looked a threat on the wings.

Last edited:
He did miss significant time and was not fully match fit on his return as is always the case for a player coming back mid season compared to players who are playing every week. Factor in that Rashford is virtually undroppable on the left and Garnacho was having a great season on the right and that limited his opportunities. He was also behind Antony coming off the bench because Antony had a full pre season and was match fit. I think you are misunderstanding the point, his injury dropped him in the pecking order and it was tough to move ahead of the other wing options coming back mid season, this year he is fully fit coming off a great pre season and he has forced his way into the side.
It was only tough to move ahead of other wing options because Ten Hag plays favourites and picks underperforming players. That's not justification.

I can see fans deluding themselves that the reason he's doing well this season is because he was "managed well" last season, which is just drivel trying to make excuses for the manager not recognising talent staring him in the face. Amad is good in spite of how he was managed last season, not because of it. If we'd have given him 5 months first team football last season, we'd be getting a better and more experienced version of him now.

He was out injured for about 4 months with a knee injury & made his first appearance on Dec 30th. He was then on the bench for a few weeks, played against Fulham & in the cup a week later. I think his next game he scored the winner against Liverpool.

That period from middle Jan to March/April was all just about making sure he was right and getting him up to speed, it was basically his pre season. From middle of April on he appeared in nearly every game and he's continuing to do so.

Long may it last, I really like him as a player. Shows a great attitude and has great technique and dribbling. I just hope he can keep improving.
It just doesn't make any sense that he was fit enough to play in December but then suddenly wasn't fit enough to feature until months after that. All the while he was in the matchday squads, but never selected..

It just doesn't make any sense that he was fit enough to play in December but then suddenly wasn't fit enough to feature until months after that. All the while he was in the matchday squads, but never selected..

It makes sense that he was returning from 4 months out and was eased back into the action.

Some people will literally find anything to bash ETH for. He's played this one well, got Amad back to full fitness, eased him into the team gradually and now we're seeing the benefits of that.

He's done the hardwook of going out on loan, some of them didn't work out too well. But he's shown resilience and a good attitude towards the game and always unlike gowls like Sancho and Martial. I like him as a player, I've always thought he had enough to at least give it a good go as a Utd player. He's looking good so far this season, I just want to see him kick on now and make that RW spot his.

It was only tough to move ahead of other wing options because Ten Hag plays favourites and picks underperforming players. That's not justification.

I can see fans deluding themselves that the reason he's doing well this season is because he was "managed well" last season, which is just drivel trying to make excuses for the manager not recognising talent staring him in the face. Amad is good in spite of how he was managed last season, not because of it. If we'd have given him 5 months first team football last season, we'd be getting a better and more experienced version of him now.

You are entitled to your opinion but the fact that he missed the first 4 months of the season with injury did have a bearing on how he was used when he recovered as he was stuck playing catch up with players who were more match sharp than he was. I never said that he was managed well, simply pointed out that the injury occurring when it did and being as severe as it was impacted him for the rest of the season which is a fact, your insistence that it was not relevant seems to be more a function of your agenda concerning the manager.

Great to see how he’s started the season.

Good loan by the club at Sunderland. We seem to have handled him well and now reap the rewards.

Remember he wasn’t a first team regular at Atalanta when we signed him. He needed to be eased in to the men’s game.

Man Utd 7:0 Barnsley New
Should have done better with his touch when Bruno put him through

It makes sense that he was returning from 4 months out and was eased back into the action.

Some people will literally find anything to bash ETH for. He's played this one well, got Amad back to full fitness, eased him into the team gradually and now we're seeing the benefits of that.

He's done the hardwook of going out on loan, some of them didn't work out too well. But he's shown resilience and a good attitude towards the game and always unlike gowls like Sancho and Martial. I like him as a player, I've always thought he had enough to at least give it a good go as a Utd player. He's looking good so far this season, I just want to see him kick on now and make that RW spot his.
We're seeing the benefits of Amad's talent.

He's not performing well now because he spent last season sat on the bench. He's performing well now in spite of it.

We're seeing the benefits of Amad's talent.

He's not performing well now because he spent last season sat on the bench. He's performing well now in spite of it.

He's been handled fine by the club so far, he's now getting his chance in the team and he's taking it, it's not in spite of anyone.