Toby Collyer England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Don't think bringing him on against Liverpool when we were 0-2 down or starting him the next match as a LB is good management.

Also was weird to not bring on Wheatley when we were 4-0 up and instead bringing on Bruno.

Why? Interesting to see fans think players at 19 are only allowed to play their favourite position or when the team is winning?

Go back and listen to ex pros, most of them would have played out of position when breaking into the first team.

Why? Bruno needs to play into form and Wheatley and other youngsters get the message that they have to earn opportunities like Garnacho, Mainoo and now Collyer have

"earn opportunities" is somehow only applicable to academy players?

And bringing Bruno on at 5-0 up against a league 1 side is hardly him playing into form.

Why? Interesting to see fans think players at 19 are only allowed to play their favourite position or when the team is winning?

Go back and listen to ex pros, most of them would have played out of position when breaking into the first team.

Collyer turned 20 in January. Secondly, playing him at LB when he's a DM isn't gonna be helping him in his development in the first team.

I like this kid. A step up from McTominay. I think a midfield of him Mainoo and Ugarte will be fun to watch ....with a few yellow cards too

I like this kid. A step up from McTominay. I think a midfield of him Mainoo and Ugarte will be fun to watch ....with a few yellow cards too

Don't think all of them three will ever start in the midfield together and rightfully so. Need Bruno as a ten.

Collyer turned 20 in January. Secondly, playing him at LB when he's a DM isn't gonna be helping him in his development in the first team.

Ok a 20 year old who has never played senior football. Go check how many players in their early careers played as full back. How many years of management do you have to understand what helps a players development? compared to the coaches at United?

Ok a 20 year old who has never played senior football. Go check how many players in their early careers played as full back. How many years of management do you have to understand what helps a players development? compared to the coaches at United?

What a stupid reply. Might as well close this forum as you can't question the decision of any person associated with Manchester United as they'll have more experience in that field than me or anyone in this forum.

John Murtough or Erik ten Hag can't be questioned by anyone here presumably because they've more experience in their department rather than any poster here.

What a stupid reply. Might as well close this forum as you can't question the decision of any person associated with Manchester United as they'll have more experience in that field than me or anyone in this forum.

John Murtough or Erik ten Hag can't be questioned cos they've more experience in their department rather than me.

Questioning a manager / player on your opinions is different to saying what is better for youth players management. If you dont understand that, then close the forum page.

Jack Hinshelwood who plays for Brighton is a midfielder, not too different from Collyer. He was promoted to the first team by RDZ last year to cover right back, a position he'd hardly ever played before, he was 18. His development was exceptional, he got 10 or 11 starts overall, scored a couple of goals and established himself as first team option, it's not as bad as you think.

Jack Hinshelwood who plays for Brighton is a midfielder, not too different from Collyer. He was promoted to the first team by RDZ last year to cover right back, a position he'd hardly ever played before, he was 18. His development was exceptional, he got 10 or 11 starts overall, scored a couple of goals and established himself as first team option, it's not as bad as you think.

Hasn't he started as a left back in all the four matches for Brighton this season?

Don't think that's the long term position for Collyer.

Questioning a manager / player on your opinions is different to saying what is better for youth players management. If you dont understand that, then close the forum page.

Me questioning Ten Hag playing Collyer at LB is questioning the manager. I'm not sure why that's hard to understand.

Weird attitude to take to assume that the manager/coaching staff are always right and sticking your head in the stand but if it's working for you, then great but don't tell other to assume the same. This isn't North Korea.

Don't think all of them three will ever start in the midfield together and rightfully so. Need Bruno as a ten.
You are right of course. I should have said ' would be fun' not 'will be fun'. Bruno can't go on forever but Collyer isn't the new Bruno so United will probably buy a playmaker for megabucks

Is he a big enough talent (i.e. bonafide future first teamer) for his first team development to matter?

If his potential is just a squad player, you've just got to give him the minutes where they come.

Hasn't he started as a left back in all the four matches for Brighton this season?

Don't think that's the long term position for Collyer.
Yes, he's played left back this season, again covering injuries, but full back is not his long term position either, it's just how he gets into the team at the moment as that's where we've been short. Playing people out of position especially at that age can have huge benefits for their all round game development and in a game against league 1 opposition that you expect to win is a good place to do it.

Me questioning Ten Hag playing Collyer at LB is questioning the manager. I'm not sure why that's hard to understand.

Weird attitude to take to assume that the manager/coaching staff are always right and sticking your head in the stand but if it's working for you, then great but don't tell other to assume the same. This isn't North Korea.

A manager who has nurtured numerous talents in his career, yep he doesn't know what is good for a youth players management?

But yep you are right, a player should never be played out of position, unless you are Pep ?

Is he a big enough talent (i.e. bonafide future first teamer) for his first team development to matter?

If his potential is just a squad player, you've just got to give him the minutes where they come.

Hard to know, but if you'd have asked me before the start of the previous season, I wouldn't have put him(in my opinion) anywhere near the top3 midfield prospects at the club, but seems like he might be a bit of a late bloomer and has an excellent attitude in training which has impressed Erik. Also the broadcast of U21 matches is so limited that most of the people haven't seen him much to know how talented he is.

A manager who has nurtured numerous talents in his career, yep he doesn't know what is good for a youth players management?

But yep you are right, a player should never be played out of position, unless you are Pep ?

You genuinely should delete your CAF account if the reply to anyone questioning the Man Utd manager is that "you haven't worked in the industry and they have, so they'd know better".

You do realise that Roy Keane played some games at fullback at forest and Gerrard did at Liverpool?

Strikers are often played wider when they are young

You shat the bed

You probably racked your brains for ten minutes and gave me two examples in thirty years. Should we also have Mainoo as left back or right back for quickening his development or how about Garnacho as a number eight.

The example of Gerrard is particularly weird given the type of player he was and the number of different positions he played. He played as right winger too for Liverpool, should we try on Collyer as that too?

The bolded part is you once again showing your intelligence.

You probably racked your brains for ten minutes and gave me two examples in thirty years. Should we also have Mainoo as left back or right back for quickening his development or how about Garnacho as a number eight.

The example of Gerrard is particularly weird given the type of player he was and the number of different positions he played.

The bolded part is you once again showing your intelligence.

No I literally owned you in a few spare moments between tasks at work :lol:

I think everyone can see how desperate your arguments are and how lacking in logic and will judge your intelligence accordingly

No I literally owned you in a few spare moments between tasks at work :lol:

I think everyone can see how desperate your arguments are and how lacking in logic and will judge your intelligence accordingly

"Literally owned you" - jesus christ, do you think you are on twitter?

I think you should genuinely go back to whatever "tasks" you are doing at work. Given your intelligence, I don't expect it to be significant or important.

Don't think bringing him on against Liverpool when we were 0-2 down or starting him the next match as a LB is good management.

Also was weird to not bring on Wheatley when we were 4-0 up and instead bringing on Bruno.
3 years later and EtH's strange game management still surprises me!

Wheatley should absolutely have come on instead of Bruno and, unless injured, Amass should have been on the bench and subbed in at LB with Collyer moving to CM.

I don't see it with Collyer, can't see him being starter material for United but then we also need bench options, so that's not a bad thing.

You genuinely should delete your CAF account if the reply to anyone questioning the Man Utd manager is that "you haven't worked in the industry and they have, so they'd know better".

YOu should really learn how to read..... I see what you are doing though... I have said, you can have opinions on a manager question his tactics, performance etc..

But to say him playing a 20 year old at LB does not help him, is pathetic and shows lack of football understanding.

So how did he actually play? I missed the game sadly.

Did he overlap a bit, or was he asked to move to the centre as we now do with our full backs when we have the ball? Was he always open to receive a pass, not afraid ?

So how did he actually play? I missed the game sadly.

Did he overlap a bit, or was he asked to move to the centre as we now do with our full backs when we have the ball? Was he always open to receive a pass, not afraid ?
He struggled a bit in the first half as Barnsley targetted that side for attack, but in the second when you were attacking he pushed into midfield more and looked pretty good I thought.

"Literally owned you" - jesus christ, do you think you are on twitter?

I think you should genuinely go back to whatever "tasks" you are doing at work. Given your intelligence, I don't expect it to be significant or important.

It's called X now. I guess you're not much of a reader of the news or anything really

Agree with this. Collyer isn't exactly a prodigious talent.

We have a shortage in the left back area so he covered it. He wasn't great there but I don't really see the problem with it. It's exposure to first-team minutes for a player who is unlikely to amount to anything more than a fringe player for us.

That kind of thing has happened plenty of times before and will happen again in the future. Sometimes young players need to learn the value of sacrificing themselves for the team, particularly if they aren't hugely talented.

Think he’ll be a decent squad player. I actually think he’s almost a direct replacement for McTominay in his sort of limited ability with good physical attributes whilst having great heart sort of way .There’s nothing wrong with that either - to be a squad player at Utd means you’ve done very well in your career. Good luck to him.

Im pretty sure I remember Steven Gerrard starting his Liverpool career filling in at right back

Ugarte/Casemiro needed minutes so i have no issue with the decision to play him there

After a nervy start he grew into the game and showed confidence later

pleasing to see

Fergie used to do that all the time to bed them them in. I remember fletch playing Right midfielder as a 16-17 year old in the champs league. Clearly had no pace and no dribbling skills and clearly out of position. But we played fletch there until he was comfortable to be moved into the middle

Struggled a little in the 1st half as Barnsley were targeting him. Good learning experience for him. Doubt he’ll be used there again once Shaw and Malacia return.

Good experience for the young lad in a position he was unfamiliar with but I think he adapted well. Steeped into central midfield when needed and kept the play ticking over. Got caught a couple times but also covered well.

Playing players in different positions has been widely mentioned by coaches and players as developing their games and perspective on the game. Multiple teams do this at youth level and there’s various articles out there including a recent one in the athletic on Gomes.

Also as much as I would have liked to see Amass and Wheatley get game time, there was enough rotation and I can see the value to get other first teamers involved, ie Bruno’s role in the Eriksen goals and minutes for Toby. Plus the main reason both are so close to the first team we’re/are injuries which hopefully are receding.

I only saw bits and pieces of pre-season and then the Liverpool match and last night, but if I'm being honest I don't see it with him.

Even in pre-season I didn't really understand where the praise was coming from, granted I didn't see much of those matches. He struggled when he came on against Liverpool and he struggled last night, particularly in the first half. He didn't look able for it.

I can't help but wonder if the posts on here just reflect him being in that honeymoon period where we just try and find the positives. Or maybe I just need to see more of him.

I did see clips of him in a recent U23 game I think it was, and he looked like a man playing against boys in the bits I saw of that, so who knows.

Really cannot wait to see Mainoo slotting in at LB for the rest of the season! Get Gore in at RB too, maybe even Fletcher in at centre half :drool:

I agree about Collyer, but I also like that after a shaky start he put himself together and that itself is a big value out of this game. A full back however he is not, and if we played him against Liverpool surely we could've played him in midfield yesterday as well alongside one of Casemiro/Ugarte? Even if he was to get 45 minutes in CM I think that would be better than sticking him at LB. But it's not a big deal, I expect this to be one off.