Toby Collyer England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
I thought he was OK in pre-season, then we were afforded time and space. He said it himself in the summer, his in possession game is where he needs to improve the most. And he made quite a few Fellaini-esque moves against Liverpool where he just ran the ball out of play, though unlike Fellaini, he was actually hounded by a couple of Liverpool players.

It seems quite obvious that it is too early for him. I mentioned Gore in the Casemiro thread, but was told he was shite on loan last season. Anyhow, when I saw Gore playing for us in that pre-season last year he looked good, and quite aggressive. And he wasn't scared on the ball like Collyer.

The fact of the matter is we fecked up by not recruiting two midfielders, but I still think Gore could be an option here, certainly from memory I'd take him over Collyer (whom I like, but I think he needs to really improve his game, he's got the physique, energy and aggression).
Dunno who told you that, Gore played literally one game then got injured. Agree on Gore, I've been a vocal supporter of his for a while, think he's a great talent.

I like Toby think there’s a decent player in there but Zidane Iqbal looked literally like Zinedine Zidane in ETH’s first pre season, where he’s at now?

These players can only be judged by how they perform in competitive matches.
I agree with you, he was never an exceptional player for the youth teams, same as Collyer. Despite what some seem to think it's exceedingly rare for an average youth player to make it at United. McTominay's the only recent one I can think of.

I’m not surprised. It’s what he values in players, especially in midfield it seems — the ability on the ball to control possession is second nature. Off the ball work is most important.

I’m not surprised. It’s what he values in players, especially in midfield it seems — the ability on the ball to control possession is second nature. Off the ball work is most important.

If that were true he'd have actually given Hannibal Mejbri a proper chance and not fecked around with his development like he did.

If that were true he'd have actually given Hannibal Mejbri a proper chance and not fecked around with his development like he did.
Hannibal has no discipline to his game. Even ten Hag’s midfield requires a little bit of that.

Hannibal has no discipline to his game. Even ten Hag’s midfield requires a little bit of that.

I don't think that's true, but I disagree with your original statement anyway, there are clearly other important things required than an engine. Otherwise Fred would not have been sold (which definitely appears, in hindsight, to be a major mistake given how Erik seems to want to play).

Anyone know how much youth international football he has played, or where I can find that out? I have seen differing results from different sources I could find, none of which went in to any detail. I am particularly curious as to whether he has played under 18 or older age groups and if not why he never made that step up.

He looked good against Pool. He has a fair bit of composure to his game, I will not be surprised if he makes it here.

Personally I don't see it with him, though I think he'd have a decent career in the PL for a lower half team.

Toby Collyer was picked up from Brighton a little more than two years ago. He was, at the time, obviously highly rated at both Man Utd and Brighton. He was also highly rated by people at the FA.

Since then he has not stood out much. But there can be several reason for that at the age he is. But he has obviously impressed the coaches at Carrington. People who are more competent and watch him more than the sofa experts in Red Cafe. While most players who turn out to be great are very highly rated at a young age the talent trajectory are highly individual. Most great young talents dont become great players. And some not so highly rated teenagers become great players (players like Busquets, Kante, van Dijk og Drogba).

But hindsight is a beautiful thing. If Collyer turns out to be good, in a few years people will remind us that Man Utd picked him up from Brighton at 18 for a reason. That he after just a year started training with the senior team and quickly caught the attention ten Hag.

Toby Collyer was picked up from Brighton a little more than two years ago. He was, at the time, obviously highly rated at both Man Utd and Brighton. He was also highly rated by people at the FA.

Since then he has not stood out much. But there can be several reason for that at the age he is. But he has obviously impressed the coaches at Carrington. People who are more competent and watch him more than the sofa experts in Red Cafe. While most players who turn out to be great are very highly rated at a young age the talent trajectory are highly individual. Most great young talents dont become great players. And some not so highly rated teenagers become great players (players like Busquets, Kante, van Dijk og Drogba).

But hindsight is a beautiful thing. If Collyer turns out to be good, in a few years people will remind us that Man Utd picked him up from Brighton at 18 for a reason. That he after just a year started training with the senior team and quickly caught the attention ten Hag.

Well, he got injured and missed a year so that's a reason, but yes he wasn't dominant when he returned so interesting to see him being promoted

Full article of the above

If there's one thing I definitely will give Ten Hag credit for its that he does seem to like to bring 1 youth player through each season. This season it seems to be Collyer who is within touching distance, be interesting if that carries on with Ugarte now part of the squad. Hopefully he can develop into a first team ready midfielder this season.