Mason Mount England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Hope he is back for next game. We need him back for the pressing higher up the pitch.
except by trying to shoehorn him in it complete negates our overall shape. Bruno and him cant really coexist without sacrificing a CF, which we are nowhere near able to do with consistent success. The only way the mount signing made sense was if we had planned to play him deeper, not this far forward.

Should be ready when the Europa League starts. I hope he gets rotated with Bruno when he's back. None of that false 9 nonsense.

In all honesty where the hell does this guy get game time for us. If you looked at the side from last night, where would he have actually played?

It has to be the most ill thought out transfers of all time, we literally paid 50 million + for a player we 100% didn't require.

In all honesty where the hell does this guy get game time for us. If you looked at the side from last night, where would he have actually played?

It has to be the most ill thought out transfers of all time, we literally paid 50 million + for a player we 100% didn't require.

Instead of Eriksen or last seasons McT. As rotation with Bruno or as a different option off the wings. He actually gives us loads of tactical flexibility. He’s a model pro and won’t complain about being on the bench for a few games and he’s one of the hardest working players in the squad. He’ll start adding goals and assists if he can stay fit and If he can’t actually stay fit it’s all pointless then anyway

He could be a bench option to bring energy into our game but he honestly needs to side much more.

Would have been a poor transfer even on a free with those wages.

This myth about goals and assists needs to stop, he barely produced anything even in pre-season.

He'd have played instead of Eriksen, who despite the kneejerk support on here is simply past it.

Would have been a poor transfer even on a free with those wages.

This myth about goals and assists needs to stop, he barely produced anything even in pre-season.

The myth that goals and assists are the be all and end all needs to stop as well.

No regular football from early 2023. My expectations are where the titanic is.

'Don't get injured' is the new benchmark. It's over.

The myth that goals and assists are the be all and end all needs to stop as well.
It isn't, but it becomes very difficult to be an effective attacking midfielder without goal and assists. You'd need to be truly special and add a lot to the team play, which Mount doesn't really.

Should be ready when the Europa League starts. I hope he gets rotated with Bruno when he's back. None of that false 9 nonsense.

That's good news. He offers us a solid alternative option that'll be handy to have available.

I do agree with the general issue of where exactly you fit him into the 'best XI' line up, and the fact that the only really place is as a hard working #10 - which makes us a more solid defensive unit, but a less dangerous one from an attacking point of view.

However there's tough games where that's handy - when we go with a more defensive midfield and Bruno maybe false nine or out wide. And also some easier home games where we can maybe get away with Mount deeper beside Ugarte.

But as a general rule, I think he's more in the 'good squad player, provides useful cover and occasions when tactically he'll be handy' category. Similar to how someone like McTominay (in a different way) would have been had he stayed.

That's good news. He offers us a solid alternative option that'll be handy to have available.

I do agree with the general issue of where exactly you fit him into the 'best XI' line up, and the fact that the only really place is as a hard working #10 - which makes us a more solid defensive unit, but a less dangerous one from an attacking point of view.

However there's tough games where that's handy - when we go with a more defensive midfield and Bruno maybe false nine or out wide. And also some easier home games where we can maybe get away with Mount deeper beside Ugarte.

But as a general rule, I think he's more in the 'good squad player, provides useful cover and occasions when tactically he'll be handy' category. Similar to how someone like McTominay (in a different way) would have been had he stayed.
We need to stop the Bruno F9/wing narrative like that’s a good tactic. Please.

We need to stop the Bruno F9/wing narrative like that’s a good tactic. Please.
I didn't say it's a good tactic at all. Just one we might still use given the same manager has already used it before. And I only said in tough games when we go with defensive set ups and yet Bruno needs to be fitted into the team somewhere.

Personally, in those situations, I'd leave him out the starting line up if we're going with a more defensive #10 (Mount in this scenario). But that's unlikely to happen.

Himself and Hojlund pictured in training today . More squad options can only be a good thing until the injuries start again

I didn't say it's a good tactic at all. Just one we might still use given the same manager has already used it before. And I only said in tough games when we go with defensive set ups and yet Bruno needs to be fitted into the team somewhere.

Personally, in those situations, I'd leave him out the starting line up if we're going with a more defensive #10 (Mount in this scenario). But that's unlikely to happen.
Okay fair enough. And yeah I agree.

Going full counter side with Ugarte/Casemiro/Mount and a floating front 3 staying high would be interesting for games. You’d assume it would be a pain to play against b

Instead of Eriksen or last seasons McT. As rotation with Bruno or as a different option off the wings. He actually gives us loads of tactical flexibility. He’s a model pro and won’t complain about being on the bench for a few games and he’s one of the hardest working players in the squad. He’ll start adding goals and assists if he can stay fit and If he can’t actually stay fit it’s all pointless then anyway
So he is a rotation player with a no7 shirt and 200k p/w contract. Yeah that makes sense

The team has kinda moved past the 4-2-2-2 setup they started the season with.

With Mount’s inclusion mostly due to him being fit for the start of the season, while the others were behind due to international duty.

So no rush Mount…you are behind Mainoo and Eriksen now.

So he is a rotation player with a no7 shirt and 200k p/w contract. Yeah that makes sense
The question was where would he get game time. This is the answer. A tactically flexible pressing machine, filling in for multiple positions. It has no meaning whether he wears the 7, it's just superstition and nostalgia.
He's overpaid for the role he'd play even when could stay fit. But I can definitely see him being a good player to have, if he'd somehow get past his injuries.

With Mount’s inclusion mostly due to him being fit for the start of the season, while the others were behind due to international duty.

It's not a downside beeing able to alter the set-up a bit.

I've never viewed Mount as anything more than a squad man, either Bruno's backup or a tactical adjustment to enhance our pressing. Quite a shame, as he did have something about him a few seasons ago, but not any longer.

The question was where would he get game time. This is the answer. A tactically flexible pressing machine, filling in for multiple positions. It has no meaning whether he wears the 7, it's just superstition and nostalgia.
He's overpaid for the role he'd play even when could stay fit. But I can definitely see him being a good player to have, if he'd somehow get past his injuries.
A Park Ji Sung perhaps

I don’t think it has?
We are still pressing with a front 2.

Yes, but it’s more of a CF and a MF now rather than 2 MF doing the task.

Zirkzee has taken his place and doing well, with also Eriksen showing his worth with Hojlund also close to returning.

Which basically pushes Mount down the pecking order.

Having players like Mount and Antony on the bench raises the base quality of the squad. They are expensive players but both are not just pointless filler players, they are talented and hard working enough to force their way into the team as starters and even become important players if the circumstances were right or when certain players got injured or whatever.

Mount can’t catch a break with his fitness but he would clearly be an important player for us by now if he’d been fit.

Antony lost confidence last season after a promising enough first season. This is probably his last season here and we will try and make a few quid back on him while we can if he doesn’t improve. It’s a win win for us now that we have competent people upstairs who will cut players again. He either steps up or gets moved on and someone else gets a chance. The emergence of Amad and being behind him now is hopefully going to shake him up and we get some kind of reaction

We won’t always get it right in the market but thankfully the new setup seems a lot more pragmatic and focused

Last edited:
"Who will Mount possibly play instead of?" say United fans, in a week where a past-it Eriksen played in back to back games and past-it DM Casemiro was our option to play alongside another very defensive DM against League One opposition.

Himself and Hojlund pictured in training today . More squad options can only be a good thing until the injuries start again

Yeah would be nice if they had outside chance of making the bench against Palace

We haven't. It's still our defensive shape and it works well with tweaks based on the opposition.

This is the 1st time I can recall United using a hipster tactical setup before it became vogue. I believe it's one of the things our hipster fans wanted from ETH when he joined.

It's fascinating and somewhat entertaining to watch especially when there's nothing much happening on the ball.

I don't get this thing where because we beat a league 1 side and the worst team in the division, that we suddenly have some kind of shape or pattern and must be wary of disrupting such as successful formula.

It will be great when he is fit and raring to go.....will be like a new signing!

I don't get this thing where because we beat a league 1 side and the worst team in the division, that we suddenly have some kind of shape or pattern and must be wary of disrupting such as successful formula.
1. I can see how the tactical aspect of football isn't of interest to some United fans even when it's right in their faces.
2. I haven't seen a single fan on here comment that we shouldn't disrupt anything because of the results. Is this a strawman argument? In fact there have been many fans who still think that we're playing a 4-2-3-1 (when we don't even use that shape in any phase of defence or attack).

But back to Mount. I see him as a versatile squad player like Park was for us. He can fill in for the front 6 positions. I've made peace with the financial disaster-class during the Woodward/Murtough era. Helps that they're no longer with us.

With Bruno out, it would have been an ideal time for him to try to get a run in the side and see what he can do in place of Bruno

With Bruno out, it would have been an ideal time for him to try to get a run in the side and see what he can do in place of Bruno
I was barely playing attention by the end.

Is he actually injured, I thought he was subbed because of the blood on his head?