Mason Mount England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Another player we didn’t need and wasted money on. If things dont change fast, we would be offering him around like we are doing for Sancho

Any chance you missed the last two games? Surely not just down to him, but we played mostly well as long as he was on the pitch. And reverted back to last seasons United when he left.
"Played well as long as he was on the pitch"

First game: 0-0 in his minutes
Second game: 0-1 in his minutes

The narratives are hilarious :lol:

I think he’ll be dumped next summer along with the likes of Casemiro and Antony. By getting rid of Sancho how they did it’s a clear sign Ineos want to clear up the mess of their predecessors asap, and even opposition fans know dropping 55m on Mount was a huge mistake given the holes in the team and the PSR situation.

Any chance you missed the last two games? Surely not just down to him, but we played mostly well as long as he was on the pitch. And reverted back to last seasons United when he left.

Overrated performances on both occasions by this forum. He doesn't do anything outside of pressing, and the press will always drop off later in the game as players get tired. Complete non-entity in possession. One time the game was won after he was gone, the next one went to shit after Fernandes was off for McTominay for some inexplicable reason. Basically, it's another one of those whose contributions can't be described without saying they work hard and some nonsense like "initiating the press", as if it's some great skill inherent to them personally. "Keeping width" was Antony's, and United also "looked better" with him on the pitch. Antony isn't even coming on as a sub anymore. Mount is offering absolutely nothing that someone like Fred already didn't, although he was at least fit and scored occasionally, and Fred was regularly getting shit on for that.

Could he be more useful under a better manager and in a different role? Possibly. But that's not what's happening right now, and even then I'd rather have someone else, because he isn't a player that stands out with any particular skill, or even a Steady Eddy type, because you actually have to be fit for that.

At this point you're just wumming and it's tedious.

Do you seriously not understand that a footballer can play a good game and the result disappointing? Like @TrivelaDeBruno already pointed out; are you new to football? :lol:

Amad goal had nothing to do with Mount or anyone else in midfield. It was a pass from our right back. Are you trying to suggest that Mount would somehow block the pass from Mazraoui to Amad?

You do know we wound up losing the game, right? With him not on the pitch.

At some point, you'll learn that results not necessarily have to align with performances. And I am not going to defend the player, I am not stating that our good performance was down to him. But given what we've seen, it is just illogical to assume that we would play better now that he is gone.
Overrated performances on both occasions by this forum.
From the team or the player? I see your point, not celebrating him but there is no point (to me at least) to deny us playing pretty well during the first halves of those games. Don't know what happend in 2nd halves because those weren't good but Mount could be a factor in it as he left the field (against Fulham we started to become dull when he was still on the pitch though). So just to be sure, I was talking about overall performances, not Mount specifically (even though he obviously contributed to it).
He doesn't do anything outside of pressing, and the press will always drop off later in the game as players get tired. Complete non-entity in possession.
Yeah, a bit like last season. He is there, he is busy but he doesn't stand out.
One time the game was won after he was gone, the next one went to shit after Fernandes was off for McTominay for some inexplicable reason.
Went to shit earlier. Subbing Bruno sealed the deal but we didn't play well in the 2nd half at all. Was last seasons United edition.
Basically, it's another one of those whose contributions can't be described without saying they work hard and some nonsense like "initiating the press", as if it's some great skill inherent to them personally. "Keeping width" was Antony's, and United also "looked better" with him on the pitch. Antony isn't even coming on as a sub anymore. Mount is offering absolutely nothing that someone like Fred already didn't, although he was at least fit and scored occasionally, and Fred was regularly getting shit on for that.
Think that is harsh given that he did do more at Chelsea in certain conditions but for the time here, it is difficult to disagree.
Could he be more useful under a better manager and in a different role? Possibly. But that's not what's happening right now, and even then I'd rather have someone else, because he isn't a player that stands out with any particular skill, or even a Steady Eddy type, because you actually have to be fit for that.
I didn't really understand the transfer as well but he is here now and I don't see us selling him too soon. Might as well trying to find a way to get something out of him. And if that pressing thing is something ETH wants as primary way to defending, he could have some use.

Would have really liked to see him start today, as he’s the only player we have that can match Liverpools energy.

Massively missed in a team that is trying to high press, regardless of what you think about his quality on the ball.

Mount was decent at the press for 2 games...but then his body broke down which is not a good sign.

Also not playing a CF and have 2 high pressing midfielders might help fix the problems in the middle of the pitch, but it negatively affects creativity higher up the pitch.

It creates as many problems as it solves.

I'll quote myself for the 3rd time about this fraud of a player: "He is shite, and we are shite to buy him for 60 mil. in his last year of contract. And Kane was 100 mil."

I'll quote myself for the 3rd time about this fraud of a player: "He is shite, and we are shite to buy him for 60 mil. in his last year of contract. And Kane was 100 mil."
If you think Kane would be a difference maker in this team under ten Hag, then you should think again. Anyway, Levy would not sell Kane to another team in PL that directly strengthens them for £100m. Kane also demanded around £500k a week. That would be ridiculous for a 30 year old who signed a 4 year contract.

If you think Kane would be a difference maker in this team under ten Hag, then you should think again. Anyway, Levy would not sell Kane to another team in PL that directly strengthens them for £100m. Kane also demanded around £500k a week. That would be ridiculous for a 30 year old who signed a 4 year contract.
Ok, I know that Kane was not a realistic option, but it's about the price we splashed on Mount. We gave Sancho for 25 mil. (God bless, I would give him for free almost), and Chelsea plunged us this fraud for 60... That's saying alot about EtH too.
P.S. if Bayern is believing in Kane despite his years, why wouldn't we?

Just heard the chant Chelsea fans made up for him. About him not winning trophies anymore. He literally won the FA cup last season. More than what they’ve done recently.

Hope he is back for the next game. His pressing is important to the team. Much better than Zirkzee

Hope he is back for the next game. His pressing is important to the team. Much better than Zirkzee

Yes I agree. Obviously this place has gone crazy since the Pool game and no reasonable arguments can be made anymore but if you break down our pressing situations against Poopl, three big flaws I noticed were:

1. Bruno is too jumpy. Every time the CB takes a second on the ball to bait the press he charges forward without any care for what the rest of the situation is.
2. Zirkzee is too slow to react when #1 happens - Mount used to do intelligent things to cover when Bruno went forward.
3. Casemiro is just dogshit and the amount of times MacAllister got the ball in between the two pressing lines, turned with no pressure at all and played it forward is insane.

#3 will be fixed by Ugarte for me. #1 and #2 can be mitigated by Mount but obviously what you gain in the press will be lost when there's no striker in the side. The normal way to do this is to get Bruno to be more much more disciplined about when he jumps forward and continue to play an actual striker because seriously what the feck are we doing with a Bruno - Mount front two? But playing Mount is like playing Fred right now - quick bandaid to cover up tactical problems.

I thought Zirkzee was supposed to be excellent at pressing according to his stats in Italy? Maybe I've got the wrong

At any rate, I agree the press wasn't nearly as effective against Liverpool and we do miss Mount for that reason. As others have said though, he's barely contributed any goals or assists in his time here so it's not solving that problem.

I'd be really tempted to shift Bruno to left wing in a Tadic role, and let Mount play as the #10.

Garnacho--Mount----Bruno
-----------------Hojlund

I thought Zirkzee was supposed to be excellent at pressing according to his stats in Italy? Maybe I've got the wrong

At any rate, I agree the press wasn't nearly as effective against Liverpool and we do miss Mount for that reason. As others have said though, he's barely contributed any goals or assists in his time here so it's not solving that problem.
Apparently they were and I'm sure he could be useful in the press for us, he's not been with the team long still so I wouldn't judge him yet.

The problem is our pressing structure still looks broken. It shouldn't be dependent on one particular player being available before the effectiveness of it drops off so sharply. Mount's main benefit to the team shouldn't be his ability to press either. He had a decent G/A output at Chelsea, and would offer that here if we actually built up and attacked properly.

I'd be really tempted to shift Bruno to left wing in a Tadic role, and let Mount play as the #10.

Garnacho--Mount----Bruno
-----------------Hojlund
No put Mount on the wing if you want to do that. Bruno should be given as much freedom as possible, it's when he's at his best. Having a midfield that can actually sweep up behind him properly has always been the problem.

No put Mount on the wing if you want to do that. Bruno should be given as much freedom as possible, it's when he's at his best. Having a midfield that can actually sweep up behind him properly has always been the problem.
Our whole play depends on pressing from the front, and Mount is the best at leading that in our whole team. Bruno can be creative from wide as well. Anyway having Bruno in a midfield 3 if you want to have any sort of control is a problem.

How bad are we that we need this nothing player back to have a more organised press? I would prefer goals and assists rather than winning the pressing thanks.

How bad are we that we need this nothing player back to have a more organised press? I would prefer goals and assists rather than winning the pressing thanks.
You do realise its our failed press that often leaves the huge gaps in our midfield?

You do realise its our failed press that often leaves the huge gaps in our midfield?
The issue is, there are dozens of teams better than us at football currently, and they all somehow managed to achieve that without Mason Mount pressing for them. I'm not sure why Manchester United are some special case where we can't function as a team without a player who does nothing on the ball but presses well off it.

I mean we should all realize that the manager should realize that that style does not work and we stop playing it especially if it relies on an injured prone player who is far from being a Messi or a Ronaldo. And even with him in the team, the team still goes nowhere.

Maybe the time of a single presser has gone, but Mount does seem like he could atleast be our Park Ji Sung.

However, the number 7 shirt needs to come off him & the rest of the squad having numbers suiting their style again - like Onana not wearing a number 1 shirt makes me angry for some reason.

The issue is, there are dozens of teams better than us at football currently, and they all somehow managed to achieve that without Mason Mount pressing for them. I'm not sure why Manchester United are some special case where we can't function as a team without a player who does nothing on the ball but presses well off it.
There are also teams without Martinez/Shaw capability on the ball, and yet that was the excuse used last season that we can't play from the back without them. Now, we can't press without Mount. What is true, but indicates the real problem with United. If your tactic depend on one player, then it's a shit tactic. People are starting to see it now. I'm pretty sure Ineos saw this a while ago as well.

There are dozens of teams better than United that somehow managed to achieve that without Bruno Fernandes creating chances for them.
Plenty of teams were also better than Tottenham without Kane scoring for them. You could apply this to a bunch of players, but it is still strange logic. We have to use the players at disposal, and Mount plays for us. Obviously we should play the players that make us play better football.

The issue is, there are dozens of teams better than us at football currently, and they all somehow managed to achieve that without Mason Mount pressing for them
This is dumb. Not every team is trying to play the way we are, Liverpool are for example, and they have Szoboszlai, who is excellent at pressing from the front.

I mean we should all realize that the manager should realize that that style does not work and we stop playing it especially if it relies on an injured prone player who is far from being a Messi or a Ronaldo.
We all want the manager to change, but as long as we are playing this style, to downplay the importance of having players good at pressing in a transition based team is stupid. I dont disagree that Mount should do better on the ball, but the bar is not Messi/Ronaldo.

This is dumb. Not every team is trying to play the way we are, Liverpool are for example, and they have Szoboszlai, who is excellent at pressing from the front.
Well, maybe we shouldn't be playing the way we are? If the only way we can ever function as a team is if Mason Mount is running around, either the rest of the players are awful, the coaching is terrible, or our whole approach to the game is wrong. Whichever it is it's concerning.

Liverpool's most successful period came before Szoboszlai even joined the club. And I would expect they would find a way not to be completely useless if Szoboszlai wasn't playing.

There are dozens of teams better than United that somehow managed to achieve that without Bruno Fernandes creating chances for them.
Plenty of teams were also better than Tottenham without Kane scoring for them. You could apply this to a bunch of players, but it is still strange logic. We have to use the players at disposal, and Mount plays for us. Obviously we should play the players that make us play better football.
I think the point is, a decent manager may be able to get us looking like a competent football team when Mason Mount isn't on the pitch.

Well, maybe we shouldn't be playing the way we are? If the only way we can ever function as a team is if Mason Mount is running around, either the rest of the players are awful, the coaching is terrible, or our whole approach to the game is wrong. Whichever it is it's concerning.

Liverpool's most successful period came before Szoboszlai even joined the club. And I would expect they would find a way not to be completely useless if Szoboszlai wasn't playing.
Do we need to replace ETH and are his tactics problematic? Sure.

But my point was more aimed at a poster who was downplaying off the ball attributes like pressing, which are very important for a team who has decided to play a high press.

He's basically a Park Ji Sung type, maybe a bit better on the ball, but at 55M and having #7 jersey, the expectation are obviously higher.

Any news on the injury front?

Not a good sign that the club has not released any pictures of him back in training like they have with Rasmus etc , might not be as minor as he suggested.

If Eth's new pressing system was heavily reliant on Mount staying fit and becoming the key man, then it's just another stain on Eth. Very short sighted of him.

Do we need to replace ETH and are his tactics problematic? Sure.

But my point was more aimed at a poster who was downplaying off the ball attributes like pressing, which are very important for a team who has decided to play a high press.

He's basically a Park Ji Sung type, maybe a bit better on the ball, but at 55M and having #7 jersey, the expectation are obviously higher.
I sort of remember him on Chelsea 2019 thru 2022 being the greatest thing ever. Did he just get overused? Anyway, not Park like.