Mason Mount England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
50m on a player in the last year of his contract, that we didn't need, that is absolutely nothing special, and is constantly injured.

He is without a doubt up there as one of the worst transfers we've ever made.
Don't forget £250k per week and we had to give him the number 7 shirt to convince this guy to join. Just who, how and why?

Don't forget £250k per week and we had to give him the number 7 shirt to convince this guy to join. Just who, how and why?

I'm amazed anyone doesn't think he's one of our worst ever signings!

He's an attacking midfielder who's been here for over a year and has scored 1 goal. And yes his defenders might argue well he's been injured a lot but that's just another reason why he's been such a disaster. His fitness record is appalling.

50m on a player in the last year of his contract, that we didn't need, that is absolutely nothing special, and is constantly injured.

Certainly not the worst player but the context behind the transfer makes it very high up on the list. It didn't make sense at the time and it doesn't make sense now. Long term, he may prove to be a good signing (I'm not convinced) but it wouldn't be by design.

Certainly not the worst player but the context behind the transfer makes it very high up on the list. It didn't make sense at the time and it doesn't make sense now. Long term, he may prove to be a good signing (I'm not convinced) but it wouldn't be by design.

Aye well said.

I don't rate Mount at all to be honest but obviously just in terms of talent he's not the worst ever signing. But it's when you add the context to his signing that he moves right up the list of the worst transfers.

Came on, gets booked within a few minutes for a needless tackle. Sort a thing you could explain away for a youth debutant or a youngster in general, not someone with 300 games behind him in senior football.

One of the most pointless signings we have made.

Antony cost €90m, had done absolutely nothing of value to show he was worth that, and has been completely useless. Take into consideration that he is an attacker as well, and it is a shocking transfer.

We didn't need Mount, he isn't special but he is - or was - a 7/10 in most aspects of the game. He was Chelsea's best player in the CL and got them through against Porto in the QF by scoring, scoring against Real Madrid in the SF and a beautiful assist against City in the final. You don't do that and are a "nothing player". He wasn't constantly injured at Chelsea, either.
I'm amazed anyone doesn't think he's one of our worst ever signings!

He's an attacking midfielder who's been here for over a year and has scored 1 goal. And yes his defenders might argue well he's been injured a lot but that's just another reason why he's been such a disaster. His fitness record is appalling.
Ah, another poster unable to contextualise. You are saying that as if he played all season, when in reality, he played 516 minutes which is less than 6 games. Still not good enough, I agree, but it is so stupid to say "one goal in a year".

Everything we’re seeing now is what I said in last years player performance thread before he’d even kicked a ball for us, and got absolutely hammered for my viewpoint. ‘’Two time Chelsea POTY!” “Assisted a champions league winning goal!”

Recency is a real thing in football, and he was cack for 18 months prior to joining us. Dele Alli was twice premier league young POTY. Look at him now.

Mount is still shite and a nothing player. £60m for this?

Cue: “give him a chance! He will come good!”

Everything we’re seeing now is what I said in last years player performance thread before he’d even kicked a ball for us, and got absolutely hammered for my viewpoint. ‘’Two time Chelsea POTY!” “Assisted a champions league winning goal!” He has been cack for 18 months prior to joining us. Recency is a real thing in football. Dele Alli was twice premier league young poty. Look at him nHe was shite then, and I still stand by my view now. He’s still shite and a nothing player. £60m for this?
Your post history shows you've been posting the same post for over a year now :lol:You're so desperate for wanting to be right on the internet it is actually funny. "Look what I said in the last years performance thread before he kicked a ball. What I - me specifically - said. I was right and I'm going to remind you after every game for three years ahead or until everyone agrees".

It's okay, not everyone will agree with you. There is a player in there, but you have to admit he has been extremely unlucky all things considered, regardless of how much you despise him.

Even when he was in good form for Chelsea, he still was a eyebrow raising sort of signing. He's an off the ball no.10 who wants to move about in little pockets and does his best work without the ball.

He's a valuable tool to have in a squad (when he's actually fully fit), but I don't really think he's one you spend big for, give star player level wages, and the no.7 shirt to.

Couple of big ifs here: 1. If he can come back to full fitness for a prolonged period of time; 2. Get a run in the team without the inclusion of Bruno Fernandes, and 3. Play under a manager who'll get the best out of his skillset -- maybe then we'll see some value for our money. Until then...

Your post history shows you've been posting the same post for over a year now :lol:You're so desperate for wanting to be right on the internet it is actually funny. "Look what I said in the last years performance thread before he kicked a ball. What I - me specifically - said. I was right and I'm going to remind you after every game for three years ahead or until everyone agrees".

It's okay, not everyone will agree with you. There is a player in there, but you have to admit he has been extremely unlucky all things considered, regardless of how much you despise him.
“So desperate to wanting to be right”. I do take pleasure in the fact that I was so heavily criticised from all angles, only to be proven right. You’re spot on in that regard. Why wouldn’t I? I received dogs abuse. But let me be clear. I support Manchester United. I actually wanted to be wrong. Fact is, in hindsight, I’m not. Mount has just been….. unlucky? There’s a player in there! It’s just been…. Hiding for the past 30 months.

Pretty sure he'd been out injured for some of that 18 months as well.
Transfer hasn't worked out so far, but I'm not really sure how anyone in here is making judgements on how he's been as a player for us when he's been unavailable for the majority of the time.

Worth noting that from an obviously very small sample size we did actually look better with him at the start of the season, and completely lost our shape as soon as he went off in games.

Antony cost €90m, had done absolutely nothing of value to show he was worth that, and has been completely useless. Take into consideration that he is an attacker as well, and it is a shocking transfer.

We didn't need Mount, he isn't special but he is - or was - a 7/10 in most aspects of the game. He was Chelsea's best player in the CL and got them through against Porto in the QF by scoring, scoring against Real Madrid in the SF and a beautiful assist against City in the final. You don't do that and are a "nothing player". He wasn't constantly injured at Chelsea, either.

Ah, another poster unable to contextualise. You are saying that as if he played all season, when in reality, he played 516 minutes which is less than 6 games. Still not good enough, I agree, but it is so stupid to say "one goal in a year".

Antony is another rival for the worst ever signing yes, he's shite and I'm not arguing against that. He's contributed more to Utd than Mount has though.

I don't give a shit what Mount did for Chelsea, we're talking about what he's done here, which is feck all. Oh and the last year at Chelsea he was constantly injured, yet another reason it was stupid to waste 50m on him.

If your big defence for Mount is oh well he was good for Chelsea and he's always injured since he's been here you will admit it's not going very well for him

Came on, gets booked within a few minutes for a needless tackle.
This had me furious. We needed to calm things down and he comes in like a freight train. We were only 1-0 down at the time with a full second half to go.

Well, we get to see whether a team with MM at the 8 position is a better one than with Bruno there. MM has a chance to prove all the many doubters wrong now. If he doesn't take it............

He might become for you what Sterling became for us. Someone who is on such a huge salary and has so many years left on his contract that he’ll be super difficult to move, even if plenty of other clubs would fancy him. You’ll probably have to partially pay his salary for some other club to take him on loan.

In fairness, Chelsea fans were pretty open about this and everyone said we were disloyal, “your own club legend wants to leave”, etc.

Until the transfer ban he was generally just a guy out on loan. He’s not a “bad” player, but he isn’t worth a contract bigger than the one we gave Reece pre injuries, and he certainly wasn’t worth putting up with calls from Declan and his people saying we would be “out of the running” if we didn’t treat Mason better with our offers.

It was a whole bag of red flags dumped on the floor at the same time. I distinctly remember saying “watch , he will probably come in and demand the 7 jersey and then throw everyone off talking about himself in the third person”.

I’d be curious if he ever did the second part.

Right now though, he is probably telling everyone who’ll listen that he can be just as effective as Foden, Palmer, Odegaard, etc… United just isnt embracing him correctly.

Masons view of himself is completely unanchored to reality. If he saw himself as a 120k/wk guy that could cover in a lot of spots, and could come on to press when needed… he’d be fine. He’d probably still be at Chelsea.

He might become for you what Sterling became for us. Someone who is on such a huge salary and has so many years left on his contract that he’ll be super difficult to move, even if plenty of other clubs would fancy him. You’ll probably have to partially pay his salary for some other club to take him on loan.
But he was your player of the year twice, and assisted a goal in the champions league final. Surely his stock is still high 4 years later?

I doubt it.

He’s a good player being judged too soon. Wages aren’t in the region of Sterling either and he’s a better age profile.

He has a lot of qualities most of our other players are missing but he does not deliver. It is strange how determined EtH was to get him in. What the hell was the idea?

But he was your player of the year twice, and assisted a goal in the champions league final. Surely his stock is still high 4 years later?
As I said there will be plenty of “smaller” English teams that would absolutely love to have Mase. Just like Sterling. But those clubs can’t afford 250 or 300k per week or even half that.

But come to think of it, for the same reasons Simeone REALLY fancied Connor Gallagher, he’d probably take Mount in a heartbeat as well. Though, Mount is probably on double what CG is earning so salary may again be an issue.

I remember around Euro 2020 (2021) I said he'd be a West Ham player within 5/6 years.

As we're now pretty much a West Ham level team, I'm taking this as a huge win.

“So desperate to wanting to be right”. I do take pleasure in the fact that I was so heavily criticised from all angles, only to be proven right. You’re spot on in that regard. Why wouldn’t I? I received dogs abuse. But let me be clear. I support Manchester United. I actually wanted to be wrong. Fact is, in hindsight, I’m not. Mount has just been….. unlucky? There’s a player in there! It’s just been…. Hiding for the past 30 months.
You probably received dog's abuse because you were rabidly posting how shit he was before kicking the ball for us? There are plenty of players that have played poorly for their clubs, only to improve in their next. Havertz, for one, improved massively going from Chelsea to Arsenal.

You don't find it a bit curious how almost every player under Ten Hag is poor? Or how we have no game plan whatsoever, and that may have a huge impact on the players? Or is everything both the players and the manager's fault simultaneously?

And the fact that you openly admit to taking pleasure in being right on a forum because some strangers disagreed with you tells me everything I need to know. You'd be upset if Mount scored a hattrick, and come up with a "but..". In fact, based on what you just said, I genuinely think you find pleasure in him doing not so well, and that is just sad.

You probably received dog's abuse because you were rabidly posting how shit he was before kicking the ball for us? There are plenty of players that have played poorly for their clubs, only to improve in their next. Havertz, for one, improved massively going from Chelsea to Arsenal.

You don't find it a bit curious how almost every player under Ten Hag is poor? Or how we have no game plan whatsoever, and that may have a huge impact on the players? Or is everything both the players and the manager's fault simultaneously?

And the fact that you openly admit to taking pleasure in being right on a forum because some strangers disagreed with you tells me everything I need to know. You'd be upset if Mount scored a hattrick, and come up with a "but..". In fact, based on what you just said, I genuinely think you find pleasure in him doing not so well, and that is just sad.
Pretty sure I stated I hoped to be wrong, as I support Manchester United…..

I could just see this a mile away, as I’ve never rated him, and the fact we spunked £60m on him as our priority transfer, when we had so many other issues, highlights it all the worse.

Hes a bit shite if we are being honest. The one thing about him that people seem to think is good is his pressing, which should never be the main thing you sign a midfielder for.

He is not a goal scorer, he does not really get assists outside of set pieces, he isn’t great at carrying the ball, he isn’t a metronmic passer or tempo controller. His passing range is limited.

What exactly is he? What attributes does he bring to a midfield that you can build a solid midfield around? I just don’t really see it with him.

Last edited:
This 'trash' team has played better football under Pochettino, the man most united fans opposed as a potential new manager over ETH, and under Maresca who was a championship manager last season
Ipswich play better football than us. That doesn't mean that any of their players would get near United's 11.

Last edited:
Are you honestly comparing Chelsea's squad to Ipswich's for quality?
Nope. You were making a point about Chelsea playing better football than us under Maresca and I replied by saying that this was more down to good management than better players.

You wouldn't take any of Chelsea's players at united?
I'd take a few of Chelsea's players, yeah. I still think they've spent poorly over the last 2 years though.

Maybe not a good signing overall, But we have to accept the fact that he hasn't played much to see how good he can be or show shit he can be, I would accept if the club says he is not needed because he too injured which is a valid assessment, him being shit isn't valid because he didn't play enough games for us to say he is shit.

As I said at the time, a more expensive DVB, also when he’s not injured Bruno is never rested or dropped so he can’t string a run of games together anyway.

Most of the time he’s entering the game in a poor situation, as was the case yesterday.

Will be never given a proper chance in his favored position because “My Bruno shall always play”. Why do managers sign players when they have no idea how to use them?

i keep waiting on whatever it was that the club saw to show itself on the field. Just didnt understand it either at the time and was hoping i was wrong. For all the people who constantly whine when we act like sometimes we can see things as well, and are told "well obviously these are experts and know more than us", this is exhibit A on something we all saw as being stupid and turning out so.

Nope. You were making a point about Chelsea playing better football than us under Maresca and I replied by saying that this was more down to good management than better players.

I'd take a few of Chelsea's players, yeah. I still think they've spent poorly over the last 2 years though.
The reality is that a sizeable of the signings are still very much in the development stage or injuries have hindered their development . In the first year of BlueCos tenure they bought players that were expected to perform from dates one such as Kouilably and Sterling both bombed
In terms of spending poorly a lot of clubs can be accused of that including Utd.

As I said at the time, a more expensive DVB, also when he’s not injured Bruno is never rested or dropped so he can’t string a run of games together anyway.

Most of the time he’s entering the game in a poor situation, as was the case yesterday.
It was absolute insanity bearing in mind how disastrous the DVB signing was, to then make an even more expensive identical mistake with Mount.
Has to be in the top 5 maddest things this club has done in the last decade and that says something.

It seemed to have been based on Ten Hag thinking we could copy City and have 1 defensive guy and 2 attacking mids.
The tactic lasted about 3 games last season, looked woeful, then Mount was out for about 5 or 6 different reasons and I'd be surprised if he's actually lasted a full 90min appearance more than once.

I’m at the point of giving all the players a free run of been shite under ETH. He’s turned every player to a shadow of their former self. They aren’t all this bad and most of them will find their way under new management.

That said, he does look like another glorious waste of money.