Mason Mount England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
If ten Hag plays Mount and Bruno together, then I'd like to see Bruno as the 8 and Mount as the 10. Said it last season and still believe it would make for a better balance.

I am still optimistic about MM, I rate him (although I believe signing him was a mistake because of the profile of the player and our needs at a time - pretty sure our manager would've disagreed with me on this).
Same. I don't think the profile was a huge mistake either. Two #10s in the middle being supported by an inverted fullback and a DM was the prevailing tactical meta. Mount would work in the left half space and Bruno in the right.

We didn't really get a chance to try it with a full first XI and get into a groove. First Hojlund wasn't available then mids and defenders started falling like flies. Ten Hag has random mood swings and changes his mind about when to have Dalot invert and when he leaves Casemiro isolated with 4 opposition players around him.

It seems we changed our ideas this season with links to guys like Fofana, Rabiot and Rios. Players with good engine and ball carrying but also more #8s than #10s. So unless we don't sign a CM at all, Mount basically becomes a backup to Bruno.

The mistake was the huge overpay for him and the large contract we handed out. We should've got him for half the price.

The question with him for me is whether he can play well if his game time is patchy. Because he's likely to get plenty of it but in fits and starts and across a few different positions, as back-up to a few different 'first choice' players. If he needs to play himself into form every time he comes in, he'll never hit top form at all. If he can hit the ground running each time, he'll be grand and might get the opportunity to play himself into more of a starting role.

The question with him for me is whether he can play well if his game time is patchy. Because he's likely to get plenty of it but in fits and starts and across a few different positions, as back-up to a few different 'first choice' players. If he needs to play himself into form every time he comes in, he'll never hit top form at all. If he can hit the ground running each time, he'll be grand and might get the opportunity to play himself into more of a starting role.
Yeah I wonder if he'll be seen as a utility player filling in whenever or if he'll be seen straight up as a rotation option to Mainoo.

I predict the latter. I also predict atleast one Mainoo vs Mount thread over the course of the season

You're probably right. You'd imagine our first choice midfield will be New CM, Mainoo and Bruno, meaning Mount won't really get an opportunity to have a run of games.

Personally, I would like to see more of Mount, Mainoo and Bruno. We saw glimpses of it during last year's pre season tour, and although a small sample, it looked good. Had a blend of everything. One could argue that it's not defensive enough, but we'd have the option to tighten games up, if needed.

Yeah I wonder if he'll be seen as a utility player filling in whenever or if he'll be seen straight up as a rotation option to Mainoo.

I predict the latter. I also predict atleast one Mainoo vs Mount thread over the course of the season

Mainoo and Bruno.

Sort of insane we spent 50 million+ on him on his last year of the contract, only for him to be considered as a utility or rotation option. He needs to be a key first team player or he’s essentially going to land up as another signing that’s failed to prove their value.

Almost like this CL-winning, technically accomplished, athletic 25 year old footballer will be useful.

Sharp, on the ball, wanting to make stuff happen. Arsenal continually fouling to stop him. First half MotM. Loved it.

I think he will be a fan favorite this year. Certainly will be one of mine.

Really just needs to avoid injuries. The "nothing player" posts from last season will be looking pretty silly if he manages to do that.

He had a very good game and he's had a good pre season. Strong asset in the team if he can stay fit.

He does look sharp, you hope with more games and minutes he will grow into the team.

Stay fit please!

He is a 10. So no surprises he looks good when he plays there. That should be the only position in which he plays. Either him or Bruno.

Plays well in his preferred #10 position, not surprised.

When Bruno is back, he will be pushed to a CM role, and that's where the real test will be. Because his competition for the CM role will be Mainoo.

He is a 10. So no surprises he looks good when he plays there. That should be the only position in which he plays. Either him or Bruno.
Unfortunately its a no contest. But hopefully we can spell Bruno a bit more often.

He'll probably get shoehorned out wide every now and then

Yeah exactly this. Why we needed a player for 60M whose best role is to play in Bruno's position, when Bruno plays 90% of the matches, is beyond me, but I'm gonna keep an open mind for another season, see what Ten Hag is cooking.

He's a good player but I can't help but feel the money spent on him should have been utilized on a player who would nail down a starting place.
I'm generally not sure what ETH just like Ole wants from his midfield.

He does look sharp, you hope with more games and minutes he will grow into the team.

Stay fit please!

Yea, he’s looked one of our sharpest players so far this preseason. Several players with something to prove on show, but with him and Amad you can actually see it consistently. And Collyer.

He's a good player but I can't help but feel the money spent on him should have been utilized on a player who would nail down a starting place.

"Nail down a starting place"

You cannot think like this anymore. No set in stone strongest 11. You need a squad where there are multiple quality options for each position, with each of them offering something different.

We need a good squad. How many of City's or Arsenal's signings in the last few seasons were brought in to have a nailed-on place in the XI? Just take a loot at those two teams' squad depth and how they have multiple different solutions for each position, depending mostly on the opposition they're facing.

Mount offers tactical flexibility, a real option off the bench to make an impact if he doesn't start, and can play on either wing, #10, and maybe a bit deeper at CM as well. If he stays fit, he will almost certainly play at least 3000 minutes next season, so 33 matches worth of minutes. That would be a great amount of play time, after basically missing a whole season because of injuries. Also, we don't really have a similar player to him in the squad. So that alone will get him a lot of play time and bring a lot of value to the squad.

I'm assuming it's a strength in depth type of thing and the thought that he can occupy multiple positions.

But like you say when you have holes in your starting 11 it made little to no sense. I like Mount but he's never starting over Bruno.

Very good game again. if he can keep up his fitness he'll be a very good sqaud player to have, like a better version of Lingard. I don't think he'll threaten for a starting spot but will be very useful in a long season.

I'm assuming it's a strength in depth type of thing and the thought that he can occupy multiple positions.

But like you say when you have holes in your starting 11 it made little to no sense. I like Mount but he's never starting over Bruno.

It was a market opportunity for a player that the club and manager both clearly rate highly.

"Nail down a starting place"

You cannot think like this anymore. No set in stone strongest 11. You need a squad where there are multiple quality options for each position, with each of them offering something different.

We need a good squad. How many of City's or Arsenal's signings in the last few seasons were brought in to have a nailed-on place in the XI? Just take a loot at those two teams' squad depth and how they have multiple different solutions for each position, depending mostly on the opposition they're facing.

Mount offers tactical flexibility, a real option off the bench to make an impact if he doesn't start, and can play on either wing, #10, and maybe a bit deeper at CM as well. If he stays fit, he will almost certainly play at least 3000 minutes next season, so 33 matches worth of minutes. That would be a great amount of play time, after basically missing a whole season because of injuries. Also, we don't really have a similar player to him in the squad. So that alone will get him a lot of play time and bring a lot of value to the squad.
Except Ten Hag is the sort of manager to have a very obvious first 11. Plus spending big on him means not spending the money on a position where the first 11 player isn't so good.

It was a market opportunity for a player that the club and manager both clearly rate highly.
A market opportunity for a player in the last year of his contract, totally agree.

Paying £55-60m wasn't capitalising on market opportunity. I think the money could've been used more wisely but I do like Mount, just not sure how we utilise him with Bruno rarely missing games.

Think we might see Bruno on the right and then Bruno, Mount and Rashford behind Hojlund in a few games.

I'd like to see him get a chance in the team and I think that's the only way he's getting it.

Very good game again. if he can keep up his fitness he'll be a very good sqaud player to have, like a better version of Lingard. I don't think he'll threaten for a starting spot but will be very useful in a long season.

I only saw the extended highlights, but he did look sharp and seems to have played well overall.

He looked very sharp last night and was our best player by quite some distance.
Regarding his playing time I don't see any problems as long as he can stay fit. He will rotate with both Bruno and Mainoo and if we have some injury problem out wide, he's more then good enough to act as an emergency backup there too.

Except Ten Hag is the sort of manager to have a very obvious first 11. Plus spending big on him means not spending the money on a position where the first 11 player isn't so good.

He hasn't really had a squad where he had multiple trustworthy alternatives for one position. I'm not sure which position he should've regularly rotated?

A market opportunity for a player in the last year of his contract, totally agree.

Paying £55-60m wasn't capitalising on market opportunity. I think the money could've been used more wisely but I do like Mount, just not sure how we utilise him with Bruno rarely missing games.

Maybe it could've been used more wisely, but like I said, he's clearly a highly rated player within the club, and other clubs too, as Arsenal and Liverpool were both interested in Mount.

£55m isn't that much these days, and no one knew whether Mount would join United on a free in 2024, or that he would even be available again.

This is what I meant by market opportunity. An opportunity to buy a highly rated player now, because it's unclear if the opportunity will still be there in the future.

He hasn't really had a squad where he had multiple trustworthy alternatives for one position. I'm not sure which position he should've regularly rotated?

Maybe it could've been used more wisely, but like I said, he's clearly a highly rated player within the club, and other clubs too, as Arsenal and Liverpool were both interested in Mount.

£55m isn't that much these days, and no one knew whether Mount would join United on a free in 2024, or that he would even be available again.

This is what I meant by market opportunity. An opportunity to buy a highly rated player now, because it's unclear if the opportunity will still be there in the future.
Mount best role is Bruno's. It's like Klopp making a big buy at right wing, they don't do that because Salah.
People just look at City as if what they do is the norm, it's not most teams have those guys who play so long as they are fit even City do, and Bruno is always fit. Mount is not so good in any other role in my opinion to warrant him being a priority buy last summer.

I only saw the extended highlights, but he did look sharp and seems to have played well overall.

Yeah, he is a good player when fit and confident I think. Was he worth his transfer fee probably not, however I think we definitely have need for a player like him in our squad providing he can stay fit. For example I think he is a muchhhh better option coming on than a Mctominay or Hannibal.

What is this claim based on? We don't play 2 CMs.

Based on how we setup last season, and even the first preseason game which we lost 1-0.

It was something like :

---Casemiro--Mount
----------Bruno

With Mount pushing up when we didnt have the ball to press as a 4-1-4-1. On the ball it was closer to 4-2-3-1. Hence he was a CM, playing the #8 role, which was given to Mainoo by the end of the season.

Still think he can be very good in the position EtH actually wanted him for. Think he lack x-factor as an attacker or ten (compared to someone like Bruno or KdB), but has a skillset really suitable for the role we used Mainoo or McTominay last year.

(Whether you want that role in your team is another discussion.)

Based on how we setup last season, and even the first preseason game which we lost 1-0.

It was something like :

---Casemiro--Mount
----------Bruno

With Mount pushing up when we didnt have the ball to press as a 4-1-4-1. On the ball it was closer to 4-2-3-1. Hence he was a CM, playing the #8 role, which was given to Mainoo by the end of the season.
I've seen 95% of our games and unless I've been really unlucky, this isn't how we played at all. If anything, Bruno was the one dropping deeper and he was still more of a number ten.

I've seen Fred / Eriksen paired with a Casemiro in midfield two, and this is nothing like how Mount, or McTominay, played last season.

Glad he had a good game!
Still puzzled why we bought him when his best position is covered 99% of the time.by a better player...

Mount is not a primary creator type like Bruno or KDB, he's a secondary creator with excellent work rate, footballing IQ and technical skills, he would have played the role Mainoo/Mctominay played played last season, and played it better. Mainoo was fast tracked because of Mount's injuries. People bemoaning the fact that we played £55m for him forget that Arsenal and Liverpool desperately chased him too but he chose us.
They then pivoted to Havertz and Szoboslai respectively. Hopefully he stays injuries free and proves his worth this season.