Mason Mount England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Casemiro has made 48 league starts until now and I’d be pretty surprised if Mount can match that number before he’s inevitably sold as soon as the first decent bid arrives.
24 in first season. Did he have single good performance in second season? Let's assume he had 24 good games for United overall. Mount can easily match that over two seasons, don't you think? I would not expect him to be sold this or next summer, judging how patient Ineos is with ETH Mount will also get some time to bed in surely.

Casemiro has been better for us so far because he had an outstanding first season but is done now, while Mount played like 5 minutes for us so far. And he wasn't that bad despite what people say on here.

I am still optimistic about MM, I rate him (although I believe signing him was a mistake because of the profile of the player and our needs at a time - pretty sure our manager would've disagreed with me on this).

24 in first season. Did he have single good performance in second season? Let's assume he had 24 good games for United overall. Mount can easily match that over two seasons, don't you think? I would not expect him to be sold this or next summer, judging how patient Ineos is with ETH Mount will also get some time to bed in surely.

Casemiro has been better for us so far because he had an outstanding first season but is done now, while Mount played like 5 minutes for us so far. And he wasn't that bad despite what people say on here.

I am still optimistic about MM, I rate him (although I believe signing him was a mistake because of the profile of the player and our needs at a time - pretty sure our manager would've disagreed with me on this).
Unless Bruno’s form falls off a cliff or he gets injured, I cannot see a scenario where Mount starts 24 premier league games in the next two seasons. Even in a case without Bruno, I think Sancho, Zirkzee or even Amad have far more trickery and creativity in central areas to start over Mount.

He’s not particularly a bad player but in a league where even teams of west hams caliber have players like Kudus in creative areas, I don’t see what his role could be if he cannot play deeper in midfield as an 8. Maybe he reinvents himself as he’s young enough to do it but on present evidence, we’ll be taking a significant loss to sell him to a team further down the league ladder.

Unless Bruno’s form falls off a cliff or he gets injured, I cannot see a scenario where Mount starts 24 premier league games in the next two seasons. Even in a case without Bruno, I think Sancho, Zirkzee or even Amad have far more trickery and creativity in central areas to start over Mount.

He’s not particularly a bad player but in a league where even teams of west hams caliber have players like Kudus in creative areas, I don’t see what his role could be if he cannot play deeper in midfield as an 8. Maybe he reinvents himself as he’s young enough to do it but on present evidence, we’ll be taking a significant loss to sell him to a team further down the league ladder.
I’d like to see a world where we actually rotate players and use the whole squad. Playing Bruno 90 minutes 3 times a week isn’t sustainable and doesn’t get the best out of him. We can’t afford to keep over playing people and playing them out of form. Zirkzee can also play on the wings…

My gut feeling is he'll be used more as a #8 than creative player, in which case he should easily get 24 starts in 2 seasons. What's his competition? Eriksen and Amrabat?

We don't necessarily need more "creative" players, we need a system in which we have an idea how to move the ball to create chances.

I am not worried about MM at all at the moment, I think he will be quite alright under whoever comes after ETH.

There’s a solid player in Mount, and I hope he can stay fit this season to show it. Think he can contribute across the entire three behind the striker, and there should be more than enough games for him to prove his mettle this season. If he can just stay fit.

Just a very big misunderstanding and another terrible decision by the old board. I like him but we just don't have a position for him, at least to become a starter. Let alone his bad luck with injuries last season. Paying that much for a player type we didn't need and who only had one year left. We could have signed him for free this summer if we really wanted him...If he can have a solid season aa a backup, maybe a team like Crystal Palace or West Ham will take him in a year. Let's hope.

If he can have a solid season aa a backup, maybe a team like Crystal Palace or West Ham will take him in a year. Let's hope.

I just don’t see that there’s any prospect of that. He’s on a slightly higher salary than Bruno, until 2028! No way he’s getting that at Palace or West Ham.

The reality is that, if he’s a squad player, he’s likely to just enjoy playing for United and take that wage to be back up. The only way he might choose to leave is if he’s getting virtually no game-time and, even then, I suspect it would end up being the loan/subsidised wages route.

To justify the £115m outlay (fee plus wages) on him, we really need him to be a regular starter, probably displacing Bruno, driving us towards major trophies. Fingers crossed that he can start to deliver in 24/25.

I just don’t see that there’s any prospect of that. He’s on a slightly higher salary than Bruno, until 2028! No way he’s getting that at Palace or West Ham.

The reality is that, if he’s a squad player, he’s likely to just enjoy playing for United and take that wage to be back up. The only way he might choose to leave is if he’s getting virtually no game-time and, even then, I suspect it would end up being the loan/subsidised wages route.

To justify the £115m outlay (fee plus wages) on him, we really need him to be a regular starter, probably displacing Bruno, driving us towards major trophies. Fingers crossed that he can start to deliver in 24/25.
Well yeah... major flop unless he begins to deliver this season

Still hasn't found his role in the team, but another 45 mins fitness.

Just stay fit Mason!

Quite tidy on the ball. A good decoy run for Amad's goal. Decent really, nothing more.
Thart run for the goal was very good. Dragged the defender out of his way to allow Amad to get his shot off. He started the attack as well.

He still play like an expensive james milner. Cover ground, Neat and tidy.

Honestly he feels a pretty natural replacement for Mainoo and the role he's playing in the team. Which means a lot of starts and a lot of substitute appearances for him just because of Mainoo's age.
In an ideal world i'd bring in Joao Neves as a more defensive alternative to bruno and stick bruno in the front 3 or just rest him occasionally. His record for starts is outrageous but time comes for everyone and there'll be a day where his minutes need to be managed.
They dont all fit together neatly but its about options. You really want 15 or so players getting on the pitch most matches, the ideal first 11 is less relevant. Personally i'd want 2 of them 4 extra's to be midfielders of some kind most matches. Just to bring fresh legs on.
Bruno, Mainoo, Casemiro / Ugarte start against most teams but you swap it up at 60 mins with good quality. You keep Mainoo or Ugarte heads straight because you can replace them when they're not perfect, theres consequences without shooting yourself in the foot too much.
If Mount can stay fit he'll be fine.

Anything on his performance today from people who watched the game?

Havent seen the first half yet, about to watch it on the repeat. But he's the one who gave the ball to Amad and made a run beyond him in the move that Amad used to score his goal. So at the very least credit to him for helping make that space

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1925771/man-utd-Mason-Mount-transfer-news
Manchester United are reportedly prepared to sell Mason Mount this summer just a year after signing him for a £60million fee. The former Chelsea man was hailed as a major addition when he arrived at Old Trafford last summer, but his debut season with the club proved an underwhelming one.
Amid two separate injury lay-offs, Mount featured in just 20 club games in all competitions, scoring once.

Wouldn't mind if he does leave but it wont happen

Huge asset considering how shite most of our team is on the ball. Good play for the goal. Looks fit

Huge asset considering how shite most of our team is on the ball. Good play for the goal. Looks fit
Which position do you expect Mount to play in? Quality or not, who is he ahead of, in the starting 11?

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1925771/man-utd-Mason-Mount-transfer-news
Manchester United are reportedly prepared to sell Mason Mount this summer just a year after signing him for a £60million fee. The former Chelsea man was hailed as a major addition when he arrived at Old Trafford last summer, but his debut season with the club proved an underwhelming one.
Amid two separate injury lay-offs, Mount featured in just 20 club games in all competitions, scoring once.

Wouldn't mind if he does leave but it wont happen
Don't think anyone would come in for a big fee. Didn't like his signing but I've been very pleased with his attitude and performances in preseason so far. He's a good squad player who can challenge for the 10 role and maybe the advanced 8 role. Definitely has his uses as an impact sub too.

Sancho will be lucky to get 24 mins never mind 24 starts

Which position do you expect Mount to play in? Quality or not, who is he ahead of, in the starting 11?

He probably isn't in most people's notional first choice eleven.

But because of his versatility and the way football works (i.e. notional first choice elevens often don't actually play together that much across a season) he will still likely end up playing a lot.

For example, last season McTominay (who was also in very few people's idea of our best choice eleven) ended up with the 7th most minutes for us in all competitions. Ditto Trossard at Arsenal, who ended up in their top 10 for minutes without being in their theoretical starting eleven. And you'd struggle to actually pick City's first choice team given the way their minutes were split.

But because of his versatility and the way football works (i.e. a notional first choice eleven often don't actually play together that much across a season) he will still likely end up playing a lot.

For example, last season McTominay (who was also in very few people's idea of our best choice eleven) ended up with the 7th most minutes for us in all competitions. Ditto Trossard at Arsenal, who ended up in their top 10 for minutes without being in their theoretical starting eleven. And you's struggle to actually pick City's first choice team given the way their minutes were split.

Far better and more considered answer than I could be bothered to give to what I read as a silly question.

Having very good football players in your squad is a good thing.

He won't be in the starting 11. Our best player plays the same position.
Sounds like we agree on that :) And that best player also plays every single game, never rested, never injured... So that's the problem with Mount, isn't it? When and where is he getting minutes?

Looks fit, sharp and pretty decent with his all around play.

Good set piece delivery, some good touches in tight spaces and generally quite involved I think.

Would like to him play in the 10 ahead of Bruno for some games with the proper first 11.

But because of his versatility and the way football works (i.e. notional first choice elevens often don't actually play together that much across a season) he will still likely end up playing a lot.

For example, last season McTominay (who was also in very few people's idea of our best choice eleven) ended up with the 7th most minutes for us in all competitions. Ditto Trossard at Arsenal, who ended up in their top 10 for minutes without being in their theoretical starting eleven. And you'd struggle to actually pick City's first choice team given the way their minutes were split.
This is a succinct and well defined way to articulate a drum I have been beating for some time. That football, with the 60-70 games per season, is a squad game. Having lots of good player in your squad is a good thing, and the idea of a first xi is almost antiquated to the point of irrelevance. Fergie famously went through entire seasons without picking the same xi in back to back games. It’s just necessary to rotate to avoid injury and fatigue. It’s also necessary to pose different tactical questions and provide diverse solutions according to your opponent. Putting the same xi out, week on week, just leads to exhaustion and predictability.

As you eruditely pointed out, a versatile squad player who can play several positions at a high level, is invaluable and will accumulate a lot of minutes across the season. People say Mount was a waste of money when we already have Bruno, but that’s such a simplistic and error strewn analysis devoid of practical context. Realistically, to challenge, you need close to two good players in every position and you need 15-16 players, at a minimum, who are genuine starting xi quality. Players who don’t feel or perform like an understudy when called upon. That was something we did well for a number of years, and something city now have in spades. It’s a place we have to get back to, and in that regard Mount fits the prototype perfectly. It’s also something we have potentially created with the signing of Zirkzee. Genuine competition for places, similar levels of quality meaning no drop off when one plays over another, and diverse skill sets so the game can be approached in different ways, according to the situation.

One will always have a preferred XI on paper when everyone is fit, but the reality is that when a deeper tactical analysis of the opposition is done, and real world variables are brought into play, such as fatigue, form, confidence, fitness, team cohesion, key attributes etc, the best XI for any given occasion will differ almost week to week.

It reminds me of lavishly talented United teams of years gone by, where a fabulous flair player was left on the bench in favour of a player like Ji-Sung Park, who went out with specific tactical instructions suited to his skill set, and proved to be pivotal to our victory. The number he did on Pirlo stands out, as does his role in the CL semi final defeat of Arsenal.

Last edited:
Sounds like we agree on that :) And that best player also plays every single game, never rested, never injured... So that's the problem with Mount, isn't it? When and where is he getting minutes?

Mount can play wide right, wide left, cover for Bruno who doesn't need to be ran into the dirt. Ten Hag also believes he can be a number 8, I think he has the attributes but we will see.

Having good players in your squad is a good thing.

Comfortable at receiving the ball under pressure so defenders shouldn't be afraid to pass to him. He tries to turn if he cans, likes one touch football. Football IQ is good. His best quality is utilizing his football IQ when pressing. He often reads what the player receiving the ball is going to do so if we get close with our team pressing he's likely to win the ball or force dispossession.

Looks like a great Klopp player. Pep would also like him for squad rotation options as he likes to have different kind of attacking players who are able to follow instructions and have a good press. Can see why EtH would want him based on how EtH wants to play. I wonder if his thought last season was to start Casemiro-Bruno-Rashford and have Mount be able to interchange between Mainoo and Garnacho/Antony. We know Mainoo was supposed to have a role last season although maybe not as big so Casemiro-Mount-Bruno might have been the plan in midfield.

On paper the squad is looking like it's shaping up to be pretty good when fit in most positions. First players off the bench are similar quality as starters for the most part but the overall quality is still less than some other teams, albeit promising. Mount is like the blank piece in Scrabble or whatever similar analogy you want to use. He can fill many roles which is a valuable asset.

I don’t want to shit on Mount and he’s already proven he’s a very good player, but what a fecking clueless transfer it was (though not as bad as Casemiro) when you compare it to how we spend money now. Over 60m for a guy that even if fit doesn’t really make our starting XI at this point, no one has an idea where he would fit in our tactics, and probably our best bet is that he will be a decent cover and rotation option for Bruno and on the left wing. Hope he proves me wrong and explodes but we really should’ve spent that money better.
Last season ETH was playing with one deeper midfielder and two attacking ones, so Mount was signed to be the 2nd attacking midfielder. It was a stupid formation from ETH (IMO at least), but based on that plan then Mount's signing did make sense. It's just that he struggled to get going at the start of the season and lost his spot to McTominay, then got injured for most of the season.

Where he fits now that it looks like we may be moving back to having two deeper midfielders is a completely different question of course.

Played well , efficient with the ball. If he stays fit he should be the kind of player who improves squad depth. Raises the floor not tne ceiling

Yup. He's a good player, but fitness is his issue. He'll play plenty of minutes across different positions if he stays fit, but a player like him is only a valuable squad player if he actually stays fit so he can be moved around.

Realistically he has not shown anything in a United shirt to deserve a place in the starting 11 but I like players who are good on the ball and try to keep the game flowing and moving. Maybe he is not good enough but he is like a symbol for the way I would like to see us play.