Mason Mount England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
I guess the real question is if a midfield 3 of <DM>, Mount and Bruno would actually work. This was the reason why we signed the guy in the first place.
This was THE question last season before Mainoo happened. This season it's irrelevant because there's no chance we're going to play this trio.

This was THE question last season before Mainoo happened. This season it's irrelevant because there's no chance we're going to play this trio.

I assume we will have to at some point when we rest Mainoo or he gets injured. We played Bruno, Eriksen, Mount and maybe McT in that role and for various reasons none of those are ideal.

No rumors so far about us chasing another #8 (other than Neves I guess but that's a pipe dream)

I don't think he's a bad player by any means but his injury record is extremely worrying. If he doesn't kick on this year we should sell.

He missed 4.75 games on average per season at Chelsea. I don't see his injury record as bad, let alone extremely worrying.

I assume we will have to at some point when we rest Mainoo or he gets injured. We played Bruno, Eriksen, Mount and maybe McT in that role and for various reasons none of those are ideal.

No rumors so far about us chasing another #8 (other than Neves I guess but that's a pipe dream)
Ah yes, that's true of course but it's "beggars can't be choosers" kind of scenario - at the moment we have a total of 0 functional midfield setups, so I just hope we have 1 at the start of the season.
Other than bringing in a DM who could work with Casemiro and maybe, maybe Mount if we do an Eriksen on him, I have no idea how to fix it in short term.
This club is amazing at creating more troubles in midfield every feckin year.

Expecting big things from him this season. I won’t hold my breath though.

Think he will come good this season(fingers crossed)

Then again I said that and argued last season that Sancho would be better too :smirk:

Give him a chance. He was unavailable, not shite.
Exactly. Hopefully he had the summer to get over his injuries and get a full pre season under his belt. On form, he definitely has a viral role to play next season.

Good player, as evidenced by averaging double digit goals over a three year period at Chelsea. Just needs to stay fit.

You’re mistaken. At the time of signing Mount, ETH already knew how good Mainoo was and he was counting on him for the upcoming season.

As a footballer?
The only situation where he is a regular starter next season is if Bruno is injured or sold and we don't replace him. Otherwise Mount is just a rotation option. He's a good player but he's simply not going to get the minutes he needs to be unleashed, or to find form in the first place.

Mount doesn't even need to do anything other than STAY FIT to improve on last season.

The bar couldn't be lower! so no excuses really. Also like Berrada said (although I doubt they would ever implement it) 2 seasons to prove yourself so the first was a right off.

Could see him in the hipster inverting rightback role

The only situation where he is a regular starter next season is if Bruno is injured or sold and we don't replace him. Otherwise Mount is just a rotation option. He's a good player but he's simply not going to get the minutes he needs to be unleashed, or to find form in the first place.
Mount can play on both wings as he has done so previously for Chelsea and England.

He was not even a rotation option last season! Too injured for that, I want to see him fit and available, whether he starts or is benched is up to his performances and EtH selections

Would love to see him put a bit of a marker down in preseason. He's going to get minutes in consecutive games, so a chance to show what he can offer the team. If fit, a player of his calibre should be pushing Bruno, Mainoo and our wide forwards for a spot in the team. Could be like a new signing

Would love to see him put a bit of a marker down in preseason. He's going to get minutes in consecutive games, so a chance to show what he can offer the team. If fit, a player of his calibre should be pushing Bruno, Mainoo and our wide forwards for a spot in the team. Could be like a new signing

the manager won’t see another season if none of his previous buys doesn’t have a stand out I think. Doubt we’ll let the manager buy another right winger when he’s spent so much there already for example. And rightly so.

The standard in the PL is City, who last season had all of KDB, Foden, Silva, Doku, Grealish, Alvarez, Kovacic and Nunes rotating through their attack/midfield across different competitions.

In that context I'm not sure it makes sense to strictly think of the team in terms of "first choice" and "rotation options". Because the odds are total minutes between some players in both categories will be pretty comparable.

Especially given The Athletic reported that Jason Wilcox pointed to the high number of minutes young players like Garnacho & Mainoo were playing as a problem in his conversations with ETH. If the expectation is that we rely on those players less, that means more minutes for other players.

If Mount stays fit then over the course of the season he will get a lot of minutes, likely in more than one position. And, given the type of player he is, it would hardly be surprising to see him crowbarred into the team in some big games either where the emphasis is on pressing, work-rate and tactical discipline. At which point the argument that he isn't notionally in our first eleven isn't particularly relevant. The better measure is total minutes across the season.

You’re mistaken. At the time of signing Mount, ETH already knew how good Mainoo was and he was counting on him for the upcoming season.
I'm mistaken in what exactly? Do you think ETH has a midfield of Mainoo, Mount and Bruno in mind? And do you think it's a good idea?

I'm mistaken in what exactly? Do you think ETH has a midfield of Mainoo, Mount and Bruno in mind? And do you think it's a good idea?

You said that Bruno and Mount ahead of the DM was the case before Mainoo happened...but ETH was already very well aware that Mainoo is ready to start for us when he signed Mount.

Also, where did I say that the midfield trio you mentioned is what ETH had in mind? Not sure I'm following you there. Do you think Mainoo is a DM or something?

Or are you just thinking about it in terms of a set in stone strongest XI instead of having good squad depth and several options? Because that's where the fault in your logic lies then. Having Mainoo as a certain type of #8 who is starter quality doesn't rule out signing another player for that position.

I would sell him. He is not a bench player, his confidence is low, so not sure he will be any good. Plus injuries.

Bizarre signing with Bruno already here.

I'm not even sure that Rodri could cover for those 2 in a midfield 3.

The standard in the PL is City, who last season had all of KDB, Foden, Silva, Doku, Grealish, Alvarez, Kovacic and Nunes rotating through their attack/midfield across different competitions.

In that context I'm not sure it makes sense to strictly think of the team in terms of "first choice" and "rotation options". Because the odds are total minutes between some players in both categories will be pretty comparable.

Especially given The Athletic reported that Jason Wilcox pointed to the high number of minutes young players like Garnacho & Mainoo were playing as a problem in his conversations with ETH. If the expectation is that we rely on those players less, that means more minutes for other players.

If Mount stays fit then over the course of the season he will get a lot of minutes, likely in more than one position. And, given the type of player he is, it would hardly be surprising to see him crowbarred into the team in some big games either where the emphasis is on pressing, work-rate and tactical discipline. At which point the argument that he isn't notionally in our first eleven isn't particularly relevant. The better measure is total minutes across the season.
We need competition for places. Bruno playing every week, knowing he won't he dropped was a major issue last season.

You said that Bruno and Mount ahead of the DM was the case before Mainoo happened...but ETH was already very well aware that Mainoo is ready to start for us when he signed Mount.

Also, where did I say that the midfield trio you mentioned is what ETH had in mind? Not sure I'm following you there. Do you think Mainoo is a DM or something?

Or are you just thinking about it in terms of a set in stone strongest XI instead of having good squad depth and several options? Because that's where the fault in your logic lies then. Having Mainoo as a certain type of #8 who is starter quality doesn't rule out signing another player for that position.
I think you got a bit confused now, or maybe I am not being clear. The point is "whether DM + Bruno & Mount will ever work?" was THE question last season as this was supposed to be the default setup (+ Mainoo as you mentioned). But this coming season it's going to be DM + Mainoo + Bruno, and whether this is going to work will be THE (number one) question. I am pretty sure this is going to be the default setup, it's easy to predict with our midfield being such a mess yet again.

I asked you a question what do you think will be the setup for this season just to get clarity on what you're suggesting because I'm also confused now. I agree about the last part obviously.

Mount has ability, we just didn't get to see it because of injuries, if he stays fit, he'll be a big plus for us this year.

Still don't know where he plays. A question that was evident when he signed and absolutely nothing has changed.

Still don't know where he plays. A question that was evident when he signed and absolutely nothing has changed.
His "profile" probably fits in with Mainoo and another DM in midfield 3, but he will most likely end up being a rotation option for Mainoo, Bruno and wingers as long as ETH is here.

I think you got a bit confused now, or maybe I am not being clear. The point is "whether DM + Bruno & Mount will ever work?" was THE question last season as this was supposed to be the default setup (+ Mainoo as you mentioned). But this coming season it's going to be DM + Mainoo + Bruno, and whether this is going to work will be THE (number one) question. I am pretty sure this is going to be the default setup, it's easy to predict with our midfield being such a mess yet again.

I asked you a question what do you think will be the setup for this season just to get clarity on what you're suggesting because I'm also confused now. I agree about the last part obviously.

Oh, it definitely will be Mainoo at #8, Bruno a bit more advanced, and a DM behind them, if we play a 4-3-3.

Where I can see him its some crazy 352 formation.
WB Mount Bruno Mainoo WB
But I wouldn't sacrifice Mainoo in that stupid formation, we need to nurture him, he is mint.
So Mount will be rotating player.

His "profile" probably fits in with Mainoo and another DM in midfield 3, but he will most likely end up being a rotation option for Mainoo, Bruno and wingers as long as ETH is here.
Which would beg the question of what the heck ETH and the club were thinking when they made him the major target of a transfer window. There isn't an obvious place for him to excel when our best performing player over multiple seasons occupies the same positions he would likely do best in. He was never an upgrade either.

On the wings would be pretty crap I reckon, I don't see any threat from him there.

I still think he could be the future with Mainoo and a good CDM behind.
While I like Bruno and will always root for him I think he reached his ceiling with the way he plays and I wouldn’t build the team around him. Also giving Bruno a new fat contract which runs into his mid 30s doesn’t seem a good idea so he might leave next summer in case this won’t happen.

No way we rely a 18 year old young star week in week out
Also, Bruno needs to take rest
I do think the idea is to play this 3 into 2 positions, and add a DM behind them..
Maybe ETH think Case can play one more season but his leg is gone that fast..