Mason Mount England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Which would beg the question of what the heck ETH and the club were thinking when they made him the major target of a transfer window. There isn't an obvious place for him to excel when our best performing player over multiple seasons occupies the same positions he would likely do best in. He was never an upgrade either.

On the wings would be pretty crap I reckon, I don't see any threat from him there.
I think it's pretty clear what ETH wanted to achieve with Mount, Bruno and Casemiro (Mainoo?). It's just a shame he came up with this ridiculous idea in the first place. I've argued many times last season, it's not like we don't have a plan, it's just bloody ineffective regardless of Mount/McTominay/whoever playing the "second #10" role.

No way we rely a 18 year old young star week in week out
Well I thought so as well, but the reality was different. We did rely on 18yo in midfield, and on another 19yo on the wings as well. So much for "youth development", you just make them play game in game out and hope they can cope somehow.

Also, Bruno needs to take rest
Maybe yes, maybe not, but ETH never subs him anyway, at most he's shifted out wide, so again, this was all a stupid idea.

He did play yesterday, right? Not a single comment on his performance?
Was starting to look lively as half time approached but obviously the whole team was subbed so he didn't get to build on that.

Thanks. So he played well. Guess that explains the lack of comments.
I wouldn't say that, he livened up at the end of the half but only a few decent passes in the last 7-8 minutes. No one played well apart from Vitek.

To be fair there have been surprisingly few new comments in the player performance forum.

I've just watched the 1st half and Mount's was one of the brighter players in an insipid first half. Started alongside Casemiro and played 2-3 nice through balls. Showed good work-rate and was willing to get stuck in, but otherwise didn't see much of the ball as it felt like Rosenborg penned him in during our build-up, and we didn't have anyone who could control the game in midfield. 6.5/10.

To be fair there have been surprisingly few new comments in the player performance forum.

I've just watched the 1st half and Mount's was one of the brighter players in an insipid first half. Started alongside Casemiro and played 2-3 nice through balls. Showed good work-rate and was willing to get stuck in, but otherwise didn't see much of the ball as it felt like Rosenborg penned him in during our build-up, and we didn't have anyone who could control the game in midfield. 6.5/10.

Cool, thanks. Sounds as though Casemiro seems to be more of a hindrance than a help in midfield.

This is effectively his first season as far as judging him is concerned. His success seems be hugely tied to whether EtH is willing to be less stubborn in his midfield set up and not making Bruno undroppable.

Even then I don't think it's that simple as if we play with wingbacks that invert and support the midfield it's not as much of an issue but if he wants the full backs to overlap and the wingers to invert then the central midfielders need to think defense first.

Toward the end of last season we seemed to favour a 4222 formation with Bruno as one of the furthest forward

Back 4 with 3 lines of 2:

Amrabat/ Casemiro -- Mainoo/ Mount
Amad/ Antony -- Rashford/ Garnacho
Bruno/ Mctominay -- Hojlund/ Zirkzee

Even then I don't think it's that simple as if we play with wingbacks that invert and support the midfield it's not as much of an issue but if he wants the full backs to overlap and the wingers to invert then the central midfielders need to think defense first.

Toward the end of last season we seemed to favour a 4222 formation with Bruno as one of the furthest forward

Back 4 with 3 lines of 2:

Amrabat/ Casemiro -- Mainoo/ Mount
Amad/ Antony -- Rashford/ Garnacho
Bruno/ Mctominay -- Hojlund/ Zirkzee
That looked to be more an emergency formation to force the team to be compact in the middle to deal with City's possession. Still, in the formation you're suggesting I don't think Rashford or Garnacho can handle that second line in midfield, you're better off with Bruno or Mount there, or even both together. I don't think Mount would be useful deep in that set up and McT should really not be a first or second option in any position. We'll see how he does it but you would hope he becomes more sensible in how he uses Bruno, especially if we get in new midfielders.

That looked to be more an emergency formation to force the team to be compact in the middle to deal with City's possession. Still, in the formation you're suggesting I don't think Rashford or Garnacho can handle that second line in midfield, you're better off with Bruno or Mount there, or even both together. I don't think Mount would be useful deep in that set up and McT should really not be a first or second option in any position. We'll see how he does it but you would hope he becomes more sensible in how he uses Bruno, especially if we get in new midfielders.

Don't disagree regarding the personnel but I would be sad to think that we abandon something that was used in emergency or not, it worked.

Is there a future for him as a LW? If Rashford continues his form from last season then that position will be up for grabs and Mount played there several times for Tuchel iirc.

Genuinely thought that was just his position tbh.
Same

I struggle to see the Mount signing working, but I don't think the club is helping using him in a midfield 2. Much better in the final third. Won the CL with Chelsea as a LW too didn't he?

Big season for him, if he has another injury hit average season I can see the club attempting to cut their losses next summer.

He was such a poorly thought out signing given he wasn't actually needed.

He did play yesterday, right? Not a single comment on his performance?

I thought he was alright. Some things came off and looked sharp and others it looked like he wasn't fully match fit but the idea was right. I think his versatility will be useful (can cover LW, #10, RW and #8) and will get decent amounts of game time but I do think his primary position will be #8 in the Mainoo role. Let's see if round two will make that work.

Same

I struggle to see the Mount signing working, but I don't think the club is helping using him in a midfield 2. Much better in the final third. Won the CL with Chelsea as a LW too didn't he?

Yes, but he moved centrally most of the time, and would therefore occupy the space Bruno does. Not sure ETH wants that, he bought him for the 8 role, which is just dumb.

Fraud of a player.

Fraud of a player.
Where does this come from? You're just on the forum, see his name and boil with anger and decide to come in and post stupid shit when he hasn't even played? And if you're referring to the Rosenborg game (which would be strange given the timing of your post), he was the only in the first 45 that looked fit and ready to play.

Crucial in the CL quarters, semi final and the final itself, but yeah, what a fraud.

Where does this come from? You're just on the forum, see his name and boil with anger and decide to come in and post stupid shit when he hasn't even played? And if you're referring to the Rosenborg game (which would be strange given the timing of your post), he was the only in the first 45 that looked fit and ready to play.

Crucial in the CL quarters, semi final and the final itself, but yeah, what a fraud.
He''s a Madrid fan, leave him be.

Hope he does well this season after a nightmare start. Have to be honest and say i keep forgetting he plays for us and when I do remember, I really have no idea how he fits into the team unless Bruno leaves? His best position always seemed an advanced 8/10- good at pressing, linking things up, gets a decent amount of goals/assists.

Well we lost 1-0 to a no mark Norwegian team so I'm guessing it wasn't exactly a Zidane 98 level performance.

Would we even be able to sell him this summer? I think we're stuck with him.

Well we lost 1-0 to a no mark Norwegian team so I'm guessing it wasn't exactly a Zidane 98 level performance.

I doubt we could and definitely don't think we would.

Not sure why you think I would assume it was a “Zidane 98 level performance” but ok. I was really only interested in whether he played well, individually, or not. The result tells me all I need to know about the team performance.

Not sure why you think I would assume it was a “Zidane 98 level performance” but ok. I was really only interested in whether he played well, individually, or not. The result tells me all I need to know about the team performance.

As a central midfielder the team performance and individual performance kind of go hand in hand.

As a central midfielder the team performance and individual performance kind of go hand in hand.
You can have a good performance even if the rest of the team play shit. He made two key passes, had 95% pass completion, two interceptions and two tackles in 45 minutes. Plenty of energy and seemed fit too. Of course it wasn't a Zidane performance, that's just silly. But he was fine and one of our better players.

I don’t want to shit on Mount and he’s already proven he’s a very good player, but what a fecking clueless transfer it was (though not as bad as Casemiro) when you compare it to how we spend money now. Over 60m for a guy that even if fit doesn’t really make our starting XI at this point, no one has an idea where he would fit in our tactics, and probably our best bet is that he will be a decent cover and rotation option for Bruno and on the left wing. Hope he proves me wrong and explodes but we really should’ve spent that money better.

Same

Is the club using him in midfield two though? Last season whenever he played he was as high as Bruno, if not even higher up the pitch. Maybe yesterday he played deeper but I doubt this is what the manager wants.

I don’t want to shit on Mount and he’s already proven he’s a very good player, but what a fecking clueless transfer it was (though not as bad as Casemiro) when you compare it to how we spend money now. Over 60m for a guy that even if fit doesn’t really make our starting XI at this point, no one has an idea where he would fit in our tactics, and probably our best bet is that he will be a decent cover and rotation option for Bruno and on the left wing. Hope he proves me wrong and explodes but we really should’ve spent that money better.
Casemiro had a legit case to be our player of the season in his first year. I don’t see how his signing is anywhere near as bad as Mount, who was a luxury player even when he was good.

Casemiro had a legit case to be our player of the season in his first year. I don’t see how his signing is anywhere near as bad as Mount, who was a luxury player even when he was good.
He was excellent, yes, but for one season only and we won the Papa Johns cup only, so it was not worth it at all. If we recuperate some money and manage to sell him to Saudi it's looking better, but overall I think most of us agree that buying this profile of players - where you expect them to make immediate impact and you know they're only good for a year or two - is not what we should be doing.

(after one season)

Mount is still likely to have more good seasons with United than Casemiro.
Casemiro has made 48 league starts until now and I’d be pretty surprised if Mount can match that number before he’s inevitably sold as soon as the first decent bid arrives.