Mason Mount England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Reminds me of Cleverley when he was here. Can have a few moments of nice play but at the end of the day you really question whether that suffices for what we need from a midfielder.

Don’t see where he fits into the team without us dropping a better player in that position, squad player at best unless he somehow becomes Iniesta overnight.

It’s not just that he obviously wasn’t worth the fee and could’ve been signed on a free one year later, it’s the fact we just went and boosted Chelsea with nothing but pure profit for FFP/PSR purposes.

The Glazer regime without David Gill really was that bad.

He was a nothing player at Chelsea. Could not believe that we brought him in for that fee on those wages. Could not believe even more that we have people on here pretending that he was some kind of great player at Chelsea.

He was a nothing player at Chelsea. Could not believe that we brought him in for that fee on those wages. Could not believe even more that we have people on here pretending that he was some kind of great player at Chelsea.
I used to hate seeing him start game after game for England. A nothing player. I cannot believe we signed him for so much money with 12 bloody months left on his contract.

Could swear he was definitely more than decent at Chelsea. Bet he could be here if we trying and work it out. Was injured most of last season.

What happened to Wee Jimmy anyway? Feel like he completely disappeared from football after Moyes got the sack.

Busy with his allotment probably, from wiki:

With the dismissal of David Moyes as Manchester United manager on 22 April 2014, Lumsden also parted company with the club along with assistant manager, Steve Round.

Lumsden was briefly linked with the vacant Southampton job in 2014 but insisted he was too busy with his allotment. He also spent time on the dole after being let go by United.

I didn't watch the game but damn was he that bad?
He was alright, but you'd expect more from a 10. I think there's some frustration on here that he finally got a run out in his favoured position and didn't have much of an impact on our attacking play, whereas Amad and Bruno shone.

A much more expansive Lingard.

I would love to see him turn it around and have a decent career here, but I just don't see it when Bruno is playing virtually every week at his best position.

The intention last season was to play one DM with two attacking midfielders. Mount was obviously bought to play that second attacking role next to Bruno, so in theory his signing made sense.

Now, the fact that the entire system was utterly insane and obviously was never going to work is the bigger issue.

Case just doesn't have the legs to cover the gaping hole in midfield especially when our forwards can't keep the ball and tend to lose it needlessly. It's chaos incarnated.

The intention last season was to play one DM with two attacking midfielders. Mount was obviously bought to play that second attacking role next to Bruno, so in theory his signing made sense.
How would this be possible when you have so many wingers?

Could swear he was definitely more than decent at Chelsea. Bet he could be here if we trying and work it out. Was injured most of last season.
Tuchel got the best out of him on the right just behind the striker. When we signed him i thought he'd take Antony's spot.

He’s less of a false 9 & more of a false footballer. The Lingard comparisons are pretty appt unfortunately.

Incredible really just now this transfer is turning out exactly how the majority called it would.

He’s injured most of last season.

It’s still a bit early to judge how well he’ll be. He show glimpses of good CM, but he just need to get involved more. I don’t know how or why, but he’s actually hardworking player with acceptable skill set. On paper, he should have more passes and more involvement.

While we do have a vaccum in the middle of the pitch that makes any sort of cohesions
difficult, quality players tend to force a certain amount of influence on football matches. Mount doesn’t seem to like taking responsibility. He appears satisfied to be on the fringes waiting for the game to come to him so he can have a quick exchange of passes. At as club like United it’s not enough to be the wall others bounce passes off of, you need to offer something as an individual too.

He wasn’t bad yesterday - when he got it he tended to do well. But as he gets more game time I hope he shows more.

How would this be possible when you have so many wingers?
We still played two wingers.

We effectively played 4141 last season, with two wingers and two attacking midfielders pushing up the field leaving only one actual central midfielder to do...well, a midfielders job. Combine that with our defence sitting quite deep, and it's why we were so ridiculously open and easy to cut through all season until the final four games when ETH finally changed things. Dalot inverted into the midfield at times to help out a bit, but it was nowhere near enough.

At a time when most good teams are trying to overload the midfield and control as much of the ball as much as possible, we basically did the exact opposite then wondered why even Championship level teams were able to rip us apart.

It's so annoying that we signed this guy, that money could've sorted us a top CM / CDM, instead we've got a player who probably contributes less than McT.

He just doesn't have the instinct the play the role he did. We could have had 2 goals if we had even a mediocre striker in his place. Don't know if we even have a clear idea of how to use him.

Expected a better performance from him, looked sharp in pre-season. Lets see how he does against Fulham.

Good player, decent performance yesterday, stronger pre season than most. Over exaggerating posts here.

As I said before. He is ETHs wet dream. Why do you think he was his number 1 signing and why give him the number 7 shirt? He hasn't quite recovered his attacking sharpness since his injury but you can see what ETH sees in him. He is a pressing machine and it's not just work rate. It's intelligence in his movement. He is a main reason why we look more controlled in midfield, less space, and conceeding less shots. He also had some nice link ups with Rashford and Amad. Amad especially. I think people will be suprised at how much he plays this season.

We still played two wingers.

We effectively played 4141 last season, with two wingers and two attacking midfielders pushing up the field leaving only one actual central midfielder to do...well, a midfielders job. Combine that with our defence sitting quite deep, and it's why we were so ridiculously open and easy to cut through all season until the final four games when ETH finally changed things. Dalot inverted into the midfield at times to help out a bit, but it was nowhere near enough.

At a time when most good teams are trying to overload the midfield and control as much of the ball as much as possible, we basically did the exact opposite then wondered why even Championship level teams were able to rip us apart.
This. It's just a wrong idea in the first place. And we did that 95% of last season.

Mount is poor man's Scott McTominay in this false 9 role currently. I rate him as a player, but I have no idea how to use him. Certainly not this way that we're doing currently.

I actually thought Mount was okay yesterday but as is nearly always the case with him, it was more about his work rate and what he was doing off the ball than what he was doing on it.

The question remains the same as it did a year ago - how do you fit him and Bruno Fernandes into the same side? The only way I see it is if Mount starts playing wide as he sometimes did for Chelsea, but you already have Amad, Garnacho and possibly Rashford (if he gets it together) who are better there.

I wouldn't have minded him if he was coming on a free this summer but it's still absolutely batshit we spent £60m on him as the marquee midfield signing last summer when there are huge holes elsewhere in the midfield.

We effectively played 4141 last season, with two wingers and two attacking midfielders pushing up the field leaving only one actual central midfielder to do...well, a midfielders job
Which games?

he was about as much use as @wr8_utd’s foreskin.

He had a decent game but it looks like the agenda has been set for him already. Give the guy a chance!

What did he do that was good? I honestly don’t remember him touching the ball. Any highlights to look at particularly?

Which games?
Pretty much every game until the last few weeks of the season.

Watch our Wolves game, the very first game of last season. Liverpool 4-3, Bournemouth at home. These are spread out across the season and it's the same tactic biting us in the arse

Which games?
Basically every game. I think there may have been a couple of games against City, Liverpool and Arsenal where we didn't, but otherwise we played that way in every match up until the last four games of the season.

We had five players pushing right up high, four defenders (often less if one or both of the fullbacks had also pushed up) sitting deep, with one midfielder in the middle trying to cover literally half the pitch completely by himself. When we had possession it hurt our build-up, but more importantly out of possession the instant the opposition got past our first press they had a virtually free run straight through the middle of the field to our goal. Hence why we were conceding record amounts of shots on our goal and also why we conceded such a high amount of goals from cutbacks as there was just so much open space in those areas.

Last edited:
He’s less of a false 9 & more of a false footballer. The Lingard comparisons are pretty appt unfortunately.

Incredible really just now this transfer is turning out exactly how the majority called it would.
He's a very good footballer. Lingard comparisons are just lazy in my opinion.