Mason Mount England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Mount was a disaster of a signing, no proper due diligence done. Paid at least 30m too much and never the player we needed. He's going to be another continuously injured player that will be a noose around our neck. We couldn't give him away if we tried. Big wages, never needed and not the right fit for the club, seems familiar retric at United.

This transfer actually ranks worse than both Sancho and Antony for me personally. Antony at least brings a balance to the side and was needed and Sancho played a fair bit during his first season.

Mount is never fit and was never actually needed as we had Bruno already playing every minute in the position he plays. I think we had the crazy idea he could play as a holding midfielder but that lasted a whole two games. We also paid about 30 million pounds over what I believe is his true market value.

This transfer actually ranks worse than both Sancho and Antony for me personally. Antony at least brings a balance to the side and was needed and Sancho played a fair bit during his first season.

Mount is never fit and was never actually needed as we had Bruno already playing every minute in the position he plays. I think we had the crazy idea he could play as a holding midfielder but that lasted a whole two games. We also paid about 30 million pounds over what I believe is his true market value.
Antony brings balance

The amount of times I have heard that shite on here but yes Mount was a terrible signing

Antony brings balance

The amount of times I have heard that shite on here but yes Mount was a terrible signing

I never said I rated him as a player, he's awful but I'm trying to find something in each player and I think Antony has done just about enough on that right to justify my reason for saying he's the worst signing.

With Mount though, everyone KNEW he was a walking sicknote at Chelsea. Everyone KNEW he only had one year left on his contract and would be free in a year. Everyone KNEW there was no obvious role for him with Bruno in the team.
Only one of those three points are really true though.

With the first, I'd hardly call a player that was almost ever-present for four seasons but then had one bad injury in the final three months a walking sicknote. While he wasn't quite Bruno-level in terms of never missing a game, I'm fairly confident that there's no other player in our squad who had proven so resilient. Unless something came up in the medical or there's well known complications with the pelvic injury that he had, there was really no reason to think he wouldn't go on to be one of our fittest players.

With your third point while that probably should have been true, ETH quite clearly played a system last season where we used two attacking midfielders so Mount's signing made sense based on that. Of course, the system that ETH was playing was idiotic and should never have been the plan, but blame the manager for that.

Technically yes, but that does make it sound like it's been going on longer than it has. It's been about 18 months in total, with it all starting in March 2023.

Im counting the last few months at Chelsea, if i remember right he had surgery? And of course his spell here has been disastrous. Most of all im frustrated as i actually rate him and think if he was fit and firing we'd have a really useful player

Im counting the last few months at Chelsea, if i remember right he had surgery? And of course his spell here has been disastrous. Most of all im frustrated as i actually rate him and think if he was fit and firing we'd have a really useful player
Yes, but those few months at Chelsea started March 2023. So it's 'only' been a touch over 18 months, which doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as three consecutive seasons. Still bad of course and it's not looking promising for the future, but there's still some small hope he can turn it around.

I still cant get my head around why they paid so much for a guy - 1. whos contract was nearly up, 2. was known to be injury prone, 3. played in a position that wasnt priority at the time for us, and 4. playing in the same position as Bruno, who NEVER gets injured and will always be first choice. And to top it all off, gave him the no7. :wenger:

I actually like Mount, I think he's a great player (when fit). Its just a baffling signing. he doesnt fit into the team at all

His commitment/desire has to be questioned he’s either not fit or looks half assed

Complete waste of money

Don't forget on his final year of contract....
£60 million in his final year means the club likely valued him as an over £100 million player if he had multiple years left on his contract. It’s utterly bonkers!!

Some of his strong sides* are similar to Van de Beek and we failed to use him too.. We keep trying to peg square pieces in round holes in terms of the midfielders we buy.

Donnie VB deserves to enter the conversation. He made Mount look like he's contributed plenty.

I'm pretty sure Van de Beek currently has more goals and more assists for the club than Mount. Obviously played a lot more, though.

His commitment/desire has to be questioned he’s either not fit or looks half assed

Complete waste of money
Honestly no it doesn’t? It’s this sort of weird feeling that was put towards Phil Jones and it was in pretty bad taste. Mount won’t want to be injured all the time.

Always felt very little for him as a footballer, and it’s crazy that he’s been here for what nearly a year and a half, and I’ve literally not seen enough of him to even think of changing my feeling.

Every time he comes back from injury it's like a new signing! We've discovered an infinite new signing glitch

Was he a crock at Chelsea? I thought he used to play most weeks there from memory. He’s barely had a kick here in 18 months. Staggering really when you think about it.

Was he a crock at Chelsea? I thought he used to play most weeks there from memory. He’s barely had a kick here in 18 months. Staggering really when you think about it.
These are games missed through injury according to transfermarkt. He'd had three years barely missing games before his final one with Chelsea where he missed 13. We assumed that was an anomaly...

24/25 - 3
23/24 - 27
22/23 - 13
21/22 - 4
20/21 - 1
19/20 - 1
18/19 - 22

55m on this guy, 80m on Antony, 60m on Casemiro, 72m on Hjolund, and the list goes on. The wastage at this club is staggering, especially for a player in the last year of his contract. Real have spent less than us since Fergies retirement but have a world class team.

55m on this guy, 80m on Antony, 60m on Casemiro, 72m on Hjolund, and the list goes on. The wastage at this club is staggering, especially for a player in the last year of his contract. Real have spent less than us since Fergies retirement but have a world class team.
Over €180m on Hazard and Jovic though. They made a few costly errors before getting their recruitment right.

97zkrf.jpg

Think it’s pretty harsh to bundle Hojlund in with the others. He hasn’t exactly looked a world beater but young strikers are expensive and he has shown glimpses he can be a good one for us in time. We clearly overpaid but that doesn’t mean he won’t still be a good Utd player.

A lot of posts in a performance thread for a player that doesn't play.
It is so unbelievably tiresome :lol:

The longer he is out injured, the more posts this thread gets. Exact same posts over and over.

:lol: I think I expected Donny to at least be good for us. I expected nothing from Mount.
Strange, given that one was a PL proven player and the other was a player for Ajax playing a particular type of football where every single player looks decent and the likes of Tadic looking world class.

Complete waste of money
When does he “look half assed”? In interviews? He runs more than any other player in the rare moments when he actually gets on the pitch. Not that that’s enough but it’s such an odd thing to criticize him for.

It is so unbelievably tiresome :lol:

The longer he is out injured, the more posts this thread gets. Exact same posts over and over.
I think it’s not unreasonable to criticize our manager and hierarchy for a transfer of an injury prone player that’s not fitting our tactics. But I understand that as long as he’s injured - indefinitely - we can’t assess if it was a good transfer or not