Mason Mount England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
In fairness, Chelsea fans were pretty open about this and everyone said we were disloyal, “your own club legend wants to leave”, etc.

Until the transfer ban he was generally just a guy out on loan. He’s not a “bad” player, but he isn’t worth a contract bigger than the one we gave Reece pre injuries, and he certainly wasn’t worth putting up with calls from Declan and his people saying we would be “out of the running” if we didn’t treat Mason better with our offers.

It was a whole bag of red flags dumped on the floor at the same time. I distinctly remember saying “watch , he will probably come in and demand the 7 jersey and then throw everyone off talking about himself in the third person”.

I’d be curious if he ever did the second part.

Right now though, he is probably telling everyone who’ll listen that he can be just as effective as Foden, Palmer, Odegaard, etc… United just isnt embracing him correctly.

Masons view of himself is completely unanchored to reality. If he saw himself as a 120k/wk guy that could cover in a lot of spots, and could come on to press when needed… he’d be fine. He’d probably still be at Chelsea.

Honestly it was so annoying having the Chelsea fans on here having a go at all of us that didn't want him, talking about how good he was when many of us noted that he basically offered nothing for what we needed especially as a true midfielder.

Nope. You were making a point about Chelsea playing better football than us under Maresca and I replied by saying that this was more down to good management than better players.

I'd take a few of Chelsea's players, yeah. I still think they've spent poorly over the last 2 years though.

Chelsea do have a good squad of players and they also have some stinkers in their bloated mess so you're not entirely wrong. Look at their current prefered starting 11 though. All of those players could suit up and easily start for united in my opinion. Mount wouldn't thrive there and selling him to us was no masterstroke, it was a no brainer

Spending poorly doesn't necessarily mean you bought trash players. Without a clear vision for how they wanted to play and without carefully considering which manager would suit that style best, their transfer policy has been nothing short of messy under Boehly

They spent poorly because they swiftly and blindly assembled a huge squad mixed with talented and/or promising players who are either misfits together, needed more time together to gel or needed a manager and a system that gets them to perform better than the sum of their parts . This is time Boehly was not willing to give Potter and Pochettino, again two managers who see the game differently.

A good number of their recent signings were indeed just not good enough at this level, like Mudryk who could be on his way out, Koulibaly who they sold after a season, Saul who was past his best already when they signed him at 26, Lukaku, Sterling, Kepa and Aubameyang who was a mistake waiting to happen and Joao Felix who is still struggling to prove his early career hype was merited. Nkunku is good but injury prone, and Lavia also had longterm injury issues since joining as a highly regarded prospect

After culling and sidelining the unwanted misfits and high profile flops they still have more than enough good players to build a really strong squad without further additions.
Cucurella for instance has struggled since his move to Chelsea but he showed at the Euros that he's still a top talent, further illustrating the problems Chelsea have faced with getting a tune out of their players in the midst of the transfer madness and revolving door of managers. Cucurella is now settling in well under Maresca. Some of these other players, maybe even the ones you consider trash, will find their feet at other clubs.

Last edited:
He’ll be a massive upgrade if he’s fit
Based on what?

Mount has done nothing to suggest he’d be an upgrade on Bruno. In fact, nothing is the operative word there. Mount has done nothing. At all.

I like Mount. He’s the current squads’ equivalent of Park for me, or has the potential to be anyway. But like so many posters have said, he’s yet to prove anything for us. Next few games are pivotal if he’s selected in Bruno’s role.

We definitely overpaid though!

Based on what?

Mount has done nothing to suggest he’d be an upgrade on Bruno. In fact, nothing is the operative word there. Mount has done nothing. At all.
Just by not giving the ball away that’s a basic upgrade to start with, If Bruno not getting assists and goals what does he offer the team, certainly not leadership!

It was absolute insanity bearing in mind how disastrous the DVB signing was, to then make an even more expensive identical mistake with Mount.
Has to be in the top 5 maddest things this club has done in the last decade and that says something.

It seemed to have been based on Ten Hag thinking we could copy City and have 1 defensive guy and 2 attacking mids.
The tactic lasted about 3 games last season, looked woeful, then Mount was out for about 5 or 6 different reasons and I'd be surprised if he's actually lasted a full 90min appearance more than once.

Agreed, I just don’t see how we thought it was going to work, even now if everyone is fit, he’s not getting into the team and he clearly needs a run of games which he is never going to get.

The only positive is we can probably move him on if we cover some of his wages.

Based on what?

The fact that he keeps it simple and doesn't go for the Hollywood-ball when there's an easier, more obvious option on offer.

Obviously there's no guarantee, but given Bruno's current form, I hope Mount can offer some semblance of consistency and give the ball away a lot less.

Very mid player atm. Different setup he would be useful if there's two playmakers and him as the high energy pressing monster within.

Why did Ten Hag bring Mount in when Bruno was red carded? Seems like Casemiro would've made a lot more sense. Better passer, better offensive threat, better goal scoring threat, and better defensively, especially with Ugarte still in back of him. Mount a better presser, but what the fook when you're a man down. Or at least leave Mainoo on.

Why did Ten Hag bring Mount in when Bruno was red carded? Seems like Casemiro would've made a lot more sense. Better passer, better offensive threat, better goal scoring threat, and better defensively, especially with Ugarte still in back of him. Mount a better presser, but what the fook when you're a man down. Or at least leave Mainoo on.
Mainoo was injured and Casemiro came on minutes later at HT

A joke signing. Are we at least money laundering or something through all these wasted years of terrible transfers?

He's been a worse signing than Antony, so far anyway.

Yes, Antony was massively overpriced and is just generally not very good, but at least he contributed in his first year. Even last year he scored against Liverpool in the quarter final. There's a good chance if he doesn't score in that game we get knocked out.

The only contribution I can remember from Mount is that goal against Brentford last year and ultimately it meant nothing. He was also in the last year of his contract and we didn't need him! £55m that could have gone towards an actual midfielder or striker and we pissed it away.

Last edited:
He'd already in the list of likely departures for me to be honest. That's how bad this transfer was.

Mount was named Chelsea's player of the season for consecutive seasons then his form dipped under Potter and his injury run started and then then awful run club that is Man United thought it was wise to sign. What we have got is such underwhelming player that has been more times injured than fit.

I remember everyone being vastly against this signing especially with the price tag.

He's been a worse signing that Antony, so far anyway.

Yes, Antony was massively overpriced and is just generally not very good, but at least he contributed in his first year.
Even last year he scored against Liverpool in the quarter final. There's a good chance if he doesn't score in that game we get knocked out.

The only contribution I can remember from Mount is that goal against Brentford last year and ultimately it meant nothing. He was also in the last year of his contract and we didn't need him! £55m that could have gone towards an actual midfielder or striker and we pissed it away.
That might actually be true with the explanation you gave in second paragraph. Honestly I have no recollection of Mount in United shirt, he's been non existent so far due to injuries. You need to admit he's been ultra unlucky with those as well.

The thing is, with Antony there's no hope. With Mount, there is a lot of hope he'll come good. "So far anyway" is the key here.

Is Mount injured or is he just not travelling?
He picked up a knock on the head at the week-end and he has been left out as a precaution, even though there wasn't any reported concussion.

Let's face it, he needs to be wrapped in cotton wool.

That might actually be true with the explanation you gave in second paragraph. Honestly I have no recollection of Mount in United shirt, he's been non existent so far due to injuries. You need to admit he's been ultra unlucky with those as well.

The thing is, with Antony there's no hope. With Mount, there is a lot of hope he'll come good. "So far anyway" is the key here.
That's fair and I agree that his ceiling his higher than Antony's, but I'm doubting he'll ever come good. Just seems like a permanent crock now. Hasn't played consistently since the the first half of the 22/23 season and you'd have to go back to 21/22 to find the last time he played consistently well.

Not to kick the guy while he is down, but I do wonder how many shots he has taken in a United shirt. Both on and off target? I say 'shots' because I have no memory of him ever scoring in a United shirt?

A bit of digging...in the league last season he scored 1 goal plus 0 assists and had 0.4 shots per game and 0.07 shots on target per game! wtf

Just hang up your boots!

Last edited:
He is on 250k pw contract till 2028. He is not going anywhere.
Who would entertain buying him at that salary? The only way he leaves is if he rips up his contract. I enjoyed Mase at Chelsea, both on and off the pitch. It is a shame he burnt bridges.

I can’t think of a worse transfer by a big club.
Mason Mount transfer reminded of the van de Beek transfer. They are similar in the sense that we spent a lot of money on a player we didn't need when we had other glaring holes in the team. It is difficult to figure out which is worse. Mount is probably a better player than van de Beek but we also gave over 50 million to our domestic rivals for him and helped them with their FFP problems for a player they were on track to lose for free in 12 months.

Mason Mount transfer reminded of the van de Beek transfer. They are similar in the sense that we spent a lot of money on a player we didn't need when we had other glaring holes in the team. It is difficult to figure out which is worse. Mount is probably a better player than van de Beek but we also gave over 50 million to our domestic rivals for him and helped them with their FFP problems for a player they were on track to lose for free in 12 months.
Good comparison. Not sure why I never thought of it actually, probably because van de Beek simply disappears from my memory until I see the name getting mentioned, he was that forgettable. It really felt that he wasn't there for the most part of his career here, sadly, it looks like Mount is going his way (but with a much bigger salary and a bigger transfer fee going to the domestic rival as you've said). I mean, the last news are borderline grotesque at this point.

He's been a complete and utter disaster signing in every possible way and it's perhaps the stupidest transfer we've ever made.

We spent between 50m and 60m on a bang average player in the last year of his contract, that we didn't need, and that is unable to play more than 2 games in a row without breaking down injured. We also helped out a rival with their financial issues and the money they pocketed from selling a complete dud in Mount they probably went and used to sign Palmer who is superior in every possible way.

It legit might be the worst decision ETH has made here and that is saying something.

Horrific signing who has contributed nothing while helping Chelsea sign Cole Palmer. There isn't a positive spin you can put on it. He'll be sold for peanuts by the next manager probably.

Horrific signing who has contributed nothing while helping Chelsea sign Cole Palmer. There isn't a positive spin you can put on it. He'll be sold for peanuts by the next manager probably.

I think he'll be loaned to like West Ham or Fulham at some point, and then end up leaving on a free whenever his contract is up.