Mason Greenwood, Marseille Footballer | Read the thread rules in the OP before posting

Its pretty amazing you have managed to wangle out such a good financial package for him but I suppose also shows how morally bereft the footballing world is.
You’ve got players going for £20 million who’ve barely played any senior football. It’s not much of a stretch that Greenwood is worth £26 million.

As an owner, you either accept him or you don’t. You’re not going to think ‘I’d take an alleged rapist at £15 million but not at £26 million’. If Marseille made peace with having them in the squad, his footballing abilities are easily worth what they paid.

They also know the club will get more eyes on it now, at a time when French football is struggling.

If in a real-life conversation the topic of domestic abuse and rape came up, I think someone who replied "we all make mistakes" would typically be viewed as deeply, deeply suspect.

It's amazing to me how willing some people are to portray themselves in such a negative light online.

You’ve got players going for £20 million who’ve barely played any senior football. It’s not much of a stretch that Greenwood is worth £26 million.

As an owner, you either accept him or you don’t. You’re not going to think ‘I’d take an alleged rapist at £15 million but not at £26 million’. If Marseille made peace with having them in the squad, his footballing abilities are easily worth what they paid.

They also know the club will get more eyes on it now, at a time when French football is struggling.

It is considering what you've said. He's a scumbag and you wanted to get rid but still managed to get a good fee and sell on package.

Good riddance. Took way, way too long for United to finally part ways with him.

I'm surprised OM even paid that much for him, given that there's also a big sell-on clause. I am especially surprised that they pushed through on the deal after the mayor and fans heavily spoke out against signing him on.

Glad this is finally over. Wasn't expecting to get such a decent fee, the possibility of extra from a sell-on in the future is a bonus.

What could’ve been. But he put himself in his situation and I’m delighted another club has taken the burden.

I’ve heard he could play in a friendly in his hometown in August. I wonder if his club will be wise and leave him in France?

That's me. Genuinely amazed by this. INEOS guys are Good with a capital G. Good for you

Still baffled by what OM are doing(not just this, their whole operation over the past couple years makes zero sense to me. Isn't their current boss an ex United guy?)

Longoria is big on gambles but I think it yielded decent results individually for forwards. Sanchez and Aubameyang both did perform way better than you'd think recently.

What could’ve been. But he put himself in his situation and I’m delighted another club has taken the burden.

I’ve heard he could play in a friendly in his hometown in August. I wonder if his club will be wise and leave him in France?

His hometown is Bradford I think

The friendly is against Sunderland - be interesting to see the reception on what will be a pretty low key friendly

I'm surprised OM even paid that much for him, given that there's also a big sell-on clause. I am especially surprised that they pushed through on the deal after the mayor and fans heavily spoke out against signing him on.
:lol: Ah yes what a shame the sale wasn’t fast enough for you.

:lol: Ah yes what a shame the sale wasn’t fast enough for you.
What's your point? I do think it reflected badly on United that they haven't gotten rid of him way sooner, and clearly intended to bring him back in the last summer window, only backing off from that idea late. What do you deem so funny about that?

It is pretty impressive the deal we got - both the fee and the sell-on percentage.

Assuming it was known across football that we basically absolutely had to get rid of him. We had no leverage.

I get the impression that we were able to effectively play a few clubs off each other in order to get the best fee possible.

Much like a lot of what we're doing at the moment - its impressive.
Obviously

Ultras must be on board otherwise this whole thing is some kind of thrill seeking adventure for everyone involved. As a reminder, Marcelino quit that club after 3 games last season because the Ultras made it clear his short term prospects did not look healthy...

Best result for the club in a bad situation. Player had no place wearing the shirt again. Talent isn't everything.

It's still obviously very much discounted in relation to ability. The fact Marseille would accept and United would push for a 50% clause says that.

What's your point? I do think it reflected badly on United that they haven't gotten rid of him way sooner, and clearly intended to bring him back in the last summer window, only backing off from that idea late. What do you deem so funny about that?
My point is that we didn’t need to get rid of him “sooner” to appease people like you. I mean, how do you know we received concrete interest in him before this? At the end of the day he didn’t play again for Unitef and we’ve loaned and then sold him.

Deal where all three parties, Player, Club and Fans are satisfied (mostly).

Ultras must be on board otherwise this whole thing is some kind of thrill seeking adventure for everyone involved. As a reminder, Marcelino quit that club after 3 games last season because the Ultras made it clear his short term prospects did not look healthy...
It will certainly be interesting how the fans will react. At Getafe he seemed to mostly have it easy in that regard, at least as far as I noticed there was rather little in terms of condemnation from the stands.
My point is that we didn’t need to get rid of him “sooner” to appease people like you. I mean, how do you know we received concrete interest in him before this? At the end of the day he didn’t play again for Unitef and we’ve loaned and then sold him.
Ah yes, and who are "people like me"? Kindly elaborate.
For the record, I'd have sold him for a sandwich. Some people just need to get gone if one has any moral standards, no matter the financial aspects.

If in a real-life conversation the topic of domestic abuse and rape came up, I think someone who replied "we all make mistakes" would typically be viewed as deeply, deeply suspect.

It's amazing to me how willing some people are to portray themselves in such a negative light online.
The sad fact, is there are way more people who don't give two fecks about others than we want to believe.

What do you mean "people like you". Like what, exactly?

It will certainly be interesting how the fans will react. At Getafe he seemed to mostly have it easy in that regard, at least as far as I noticed there was rather little in terms of condemnation from the stands.

Ah yes, and who are "people like me"? Kindly elaborate.
For the record, I'd have sold him for a sandwich. Some people just need to get gone if one has any moral standards, no matter the financial aspects.
Spoken like a man who isn’t responsible for anything. You can run a business and do a right thing, it seems, based on the outcome of the clubs actions. What would selling him sooner and for nothing have achieved exactly that this outcome hasn’t? The moral standards aren’t changing. He’s still admonished and sold as he deserved to be.

The sad fact, is there are way more people who don't give two fecks about others than we want to believe.

What do you mean "people like you". Like what, exactly?
People who wanted him sold sooner and for a free apparently.

Read the OP before posting New
Reminder - Please read the thread guidelines in the OP before posting.

Realistically about as good a deal as we could get from selling him, the 50% sell on clause doing a lot of heavy lifting if he develops to anywhere near his talent ceiling.

Spoken like a man who isn’t responsible for anything. You can run a business and do a right thing, it seems, based on the outcome of the clubs actions. What would selling him sooner and for nothing have achieved exactly that this outcome hasn’t? The moral standards aren’t changing. He’s still admonished and sold as he deserved to be.
More like spoken like a person who puts their morals over their bank balance. In today's business world you might well be right that those aren't the people in the highest positions anymore in many businesses, but if you think that's a gotcha...

The outcome - he hasn't played for United again and was sold - might be the right one, but it was obvious to everyone that this wasn't what United actually wanted to do. That would have been that everyone forgets about the whole thing and they can continue to have him play for the team. The only reason that failed was continued pressure, both from outside and inside the club, and the media attention to amplify that pressure enough to matter. And that's what I have and will continue to criticise.

It is considering what you've said. He's a scumbag and you wanted to get rid but still managed to get a good fee and sell on package.
Because there was a market for him and he’s a good young player, my whole point is that once those clubs had made it clear that they had looked past his personal issues and wanted him to join their club, they couldn’t turn around and say ‘oh we will only pay £10 million’ because several other clubs had done the same thing.

Either way, it’s nowhere near the most overpriced/surpising transfer of the season. And I’m delighted he’s gone I’ll add.

The club have handled a bad situation pretty well all things considered. It hasn’t been perfect, the rumours about him being reintegrated for example, but overall they have done what they had to and moved him on without creating any further legal issues. Once the charges were dropped the club were probably on very dodgy ground when it comes to sacking/termination and they have managed to ship him out without anything further biting them on the backside.

His position here was untenable and I’m glad it’s done. Good luck to him and hopefully we use the money wisely, if it wasn’t for Zirkzee, to buy someone who is good for the club.

it is good to see an end to this whole sorry saga and INEOS managed it well in the end. Hopefully the lad can catch himself on and turn his life and career around.

Because there was a market for him and he’s a good young player, my whole point is that once those clubs had made it clear that they had looked past his personal issues and wanted him to join their club, they couldn’t turn around and say ‘oh we will only pay £10 million’ because several other clubs had done the same thing.

Either way, it’s nowhere near the most overpriced/surpising transfer of the season. And I’m delighted he’s gone I’ll add.
The point is that any club with an actual interest could have waited the end of the market and got him for free. That United were able to successfully bait a club into paying a fee at all, and a big one at that, is nothing short of a masterpiece in terms of sales

The point is that any club with an actual interest could have waited the end of the market and got him for free. That United were able to successfully bait a club into paying a fee at all, and a big one at that, is nothing short of a masterpiece in terms of sales

I think he had a contract with Utd until 2025 with option of another year. The club already did the 'bad optics' thing by not selling him immediately/terminating his contract two years ago so I don't think they would have let him go for free this summer just because he's returned to the club. If there were no suitable clubs offering 'good' fees, the club probably would have just given him another 12 month loan, which I sure a Getafe or someone else would have taken with no issue.

That said, it's still a pretty decent bit of sales for the amount with the sell on clause. If RDZ gets Marseille playing like his initial period with Brighton, then Greenwood could have the kind of platform to perform to potentially generate another big transfer sale in the future.

His real value in terms of the quality he has is triple the actual fee paid given what we paid for Højlund and relative talent levels. The discount achieved is because he is a despicable human being and an idiot meanwhile there are multiple clubs out there that are willing to look past that including at least a couple in Italy.

That said given the context of what he did this is a remarkably good deal for the club given that it could have been a complete write-off.

I think he had a contract with Utd until 2025 with option of another year. The club already did the 'bad optics' thing by not selling him immediately/terminating his contract two years ago so I don't think they would have let him go for free this summer just because he's returned to the club. If there were no suitable clubs offering 'good' fees, the club probably would have just given him another 12 month loan, which I sure a Getafe or someone else would have taken with no issue.

Loan with 1 year left or terminating his contract are essentially the same thing, given he was an academy graduate(so no ammortization). Point is there was no actual need to pay anything in terms of fees if they could wait another month. They evidently thought they couldn't, which means United's negotiators were able to swindle them into thinking so
That said, it's still a pretty decent bit of sales for the amount with the sell on clause. If RDZ gets Marseille playing like his initial period with Brighton, then Greenwood could have the kind of platform to perform to potentially generate another big transfer sale in the future.
In Europe, I doubt it. Saudi though...

The club have handled a bad situation pretty well all things considered. It hasn’t been perfect, the rumours about him being reintegrated
Whilst it's a great outcome they've now achieved, let's not get it twisted. The club WERE trying to bring him back, and they got busted by The Athletic and the people spoke up.

But fair fecks to Ineos and Jim, it's done now. Apart form the odd few weirdos who will always pipe up the moment he has a good game and United struggle, he should largely be forgotten about on here now.

Loan with 1 year left or terminating his contract are essentially the same thing, given he was an academy graduate(so no ammortization). Point is there was no actual need to pay anything in terms of fees if they could wait another month. They evidently thought they couldn't, which means United's negotiators were able to swindle them into thinking so

In Europe, I doubt it. Saudi though...

Greenwood had a contract with Utd that would have ended next year in 2025 but could have been extended to 2026. How would waiting one month in 2024 August mean a free transfer for another club?

If he scores 30 goals for the next two seasons, you don't think an Italian club (Juve?), a Spanish club (Atletico?) or the like wouldn't be interested for £50m+? I genuinely don't know the answer but I wouldn't be surprised.

The 50% sell on clause creates a pretty weird situation. Its one thing in the case of a player like Calafiori, who was only bought for 4m euro anyway so Bologna is going to make a decent profit on a 50m euro sale to Arsenal (or if another club comes in) no matter what.. But in this case Marseille would need to sell him for like 80m euro to make even a tiny profit on the deal.

Unless there's an explicit or implicit agreement where they have to accept bids above a certain level, it creates a pretty strong disincentive to sell the player.

Greenwood had a contract with Utd that would have ended next year in 2025 but could have been extended to 2026. How would waiting one month in 2024 August mean a free transfer for another club?
Why would the club extend his contract? They needed rid of him. Wait the end of the window and it was let him go for free or pay him for another year. And they weren't going to go with B
If he scores 30 goals for the next two seasons, you don't think an Italian club (Juve?), a Spanish club (Atletico?) or the like would be interested for £50m+? I genuinely don't know the answer but I wouldn't be surprised.
If he plays like a ballon d'or contender then yeah, I can see Atletico, Juventus or Napoli possibly going for that. Big IF. Also let's see how this year in France at a big club goes in terms of fan reaction....