Mason Greenwood, Marseille Footballer | Read the thread rules in the OP before posting

Came here to say this. Ligue 1 just got a new subscriber for next season.

Best of luck Mason. Learn from your mistake, be a better person and reclaim your career
Mrs Williams: Think someone’s hacked into our joint account again. We’re spending 12.99 a month for something called Ligue Un.

Mr Williams: No no, we’re keeping that!

Mrs Williams: is this your football ag…

Mr Williams: Look it’s just really important I support this player,

Mrs Williams: Why him?

Mr Williams; Well his girlfriend posted pictures of him beating her up, accused him of raping her and he was forced to leave United.

Mrs Williams: ….

Mr Williams: And don’t cancel Prison TV either, Adam Johnson is on later!

I hope he can be a positive presence for his family moving forward. For the sake of his child and partner, hopefully he can establish himself in Marseille.

Mrs Williams: Think someone’s hacked into our joint account again. We’re spending 12.99 a month for something called Ligue Un.

Mr Williams; Well his girlfriend posted pictures of him beating her up, accused him of raping her and he was forced to leave United.

Silly Mrs Williams forgets we get that 12.99 rebated as a yearly statement credit from Amex.

Remember that Real Madrid fan who was on here harping on about how no one was gonna pay anything for him?
He was a well informed chap.
That's me. Genuinely amazed by this. INEOS guys are Good with a capital G. Good for you

Still baffled by what OM are doing(not just this, their whole operation over the past couple years makes zero sense to me. Isn't their current boss an ex United guy?)

I had my reservations about his attitude anyway. The other business was ridiculous but if you believe what you heard he didn't exactly come across the most professional.

Let's see if he proves me wrong. United will benefit if he does.

Considering what transfers generally go for outside of England and all the baggage he comes with I would say that’s a good deal for us

Wish the family the best of luck and hope everything works out for them.

Transfer fees are not just paid for the ability and potential. It's also about how marketable the player is, the situation with his contract and how much their club wants to keep or sell. Considering that, it's a very good deal.

Happy he's finally gone. Wish the girl and the child all the best.

I stopped wondering about Greenwood as a Utd players years ago at this point, quite staggering so many were still daydreaming about "how things might have been". Glad we got some money for him and it's over.

Its pretty amazing you have managed to wangle out such a good financial package for him but I suppose also shows how morally bereft the footballing world is.

Remember that Real Madrid fan who was on here harping on about how no one was gonna pay anything for him?
He was a well informed chap.

Me? My assessment was largely correct:

Iker Quesadillas said:
People are throwing around numbers like they're meaningless, but they aren't. 100m transfers are rare. Very few clubs can afford them; only six PL transfers have ever been over 100m.
Iker Quesadillas said:
Very few clubs outside of England can afford a 70m transfer.
Iker Quesadillas said:
People really overestimate how much non-PL clubs pay on transfer fees.
Iker Quesadillas said:
Getafe's record transfer cost 12 million euros. It is very unlikely that they offered 40 million pounds for Mason Greenwood.

Greenwood has sold for 31.6m which is higher than what I had assumed (20-25m max), but much closer to reality than the >50m fees that I was pushing back against in the thread. Nobody offered 70m or 50m, Getafe did not offer 40m, etc. As I said then and repeat now, the vast majority of clubs simply cannot afford these fees. It could be a cut-rate deal for Messi and they still wouldn't be able to afford it.

Last edited:
Its pretty amazing you have managed to wangle out such a good financial package for him but I suppose also shows how morally bereft the footballing world is.
Absolutely. It will never change though.

Even now he's been booted clearly showing Ineos have found reason to get rid, despite some desperate attempts to claim why old Jim would bring him back, people are still downplaying his little snafu.

All things considered it's a good deal and we move on.

If he plays well and gets a big move, we will benefit from it. If he flops then who cares.

Also clean break for him and club.

Even if his reputation was in the dumpster he still costs that much.
Football bloody hell.

Had such high hopes for this player. Was quickly becoming one of my favourites and loved his RvP-esque composure in front of goal. Thought he’d be key for years to come.

What a way to screw it all up. Good riddance.

4cbpcs.png

I stopped wondering about Greenwood as a Utd players years ago at this point, quite staggering so many were still daydreaming about "how things might have been". Glad we got some money for him and it's over.

You'd think that.

Guaranteed you will have people suggesting he should have been kept or Utd should buy him back if he does well.

Personally, I think this is the best for all involved, Utd move him on for a decent fee and he can go to a league nobody really gives a toss about. Hopefully he's grown and learned from this mess and he can now try to rebuild his career can and do the best he can for his family.

I have a serious problem with people wishing him "good luck" and talking about the "mistake" he made.
Probably best, if I don't visit this thread.

Think rather than a sell on it should have been amounts per so many goals he scores for them as like others have said I don't see him coming back to the P&L and nobody else really spends big money on players..

This has to be one of the most bizarre cult followings I’ve ever come across. His indiscretions seem to have endeared him to some.

All the best to you and your family. I hope lessons have been learnt and you have changed for the better.

The people wishing a woman beating sexual abuser well on a forum as if he reads it are the weirdest breed.

Quality control
Good luck Mason.

We all make mistakes but hopefully he grows up from this to turn from a boy to a 'Gentle Man' at the age of 20-22.

Hopefully he doesn't make the same mistakes again & grows up for the better.

I'd have like to see him return, not because of my view on domestic violence or raping one's partner - but more so about I'm more forgiving of a person if a mistake was more of a spot on a t shirt that can be removed after a wash - rather than a permanent marker that can't ever be replaced. Hopefully it was just a dark spot on his t shirt and not a permanent marker.

Take care & good luck fulfilling your footballing potential!

This post

The people wishing a woman beating sexual abuser well on a forum as if he reads it are the weirdest breed.

so quickly followed up by this......disaster

Good luck Mason.

We all make mistakes but hopefully he grows up from this to turn from a boy to a 'Gentle Man' at the age of 20-22.

I'd have like to see him return, not because of my view on domestic violence or raping one's partner - but more so about I'm more forgiving of a person if a mistake was more of a spot on a t shirt that can be removed after a wash - rather than a permanent marker that can't ever be replaced. Hopefully it was just a dark spot on his t shirt and not a permanent marker.

unfortunately is so RedCafe.

Good luck Mason.

I don’t know about you but I’ve never made that kind of “mistake” and I never will.
Going through life without being a total piece of shit isn’t very difficult.

feck him.

It is pretty impressive the deal we got - both the fee and the sell-on percentage.

Assuming it was known across football that we basically absolutely had to get rid of him. We had no leverage.

I get the impression that we were able to effectively play a few clubs off each other in order to get the best fee possible.

Much like a lot of what we're doing at the moment - its impressive.