Mason Greenwood, Marseille Footballer | Read the thread rules in the OP before posting

I just don't understand what it proves. Sure, it shows that people are more likely to stand by their friends when they do something utterly shitty, but it doesn't make them (or their friends' actions) right. It's such a weird thing to point out imo.
It's just the same people we already know trying to downplay it all and doing the same old saying something whilst trying hard not to say it routine.

Nothing new will be added in here. He's gone, as he always was going to be, time for people to accept that and move on.

It's just the same people we already know trying to downplay it all and doing the same old saying something whilst trying hard not to say it routine.

Nothing new will be added in here. He's gone, as he always was going to be, time for people to accept that and move on.
Agreed. Sooner he fades from the collective consciousness the better

Last edited:
I think the point he is making is that he is popular with players who failed here and so extrapolating from that if you like Mason you too will fail and be a lifelong loser.
In that case I actually think we're in agreement!

I’m glad this deal went through, I thought that it may fall through after the Marseille mayor came out and said he was dead against it.

Am I being greedy for thinking he should have fetched a higher price for us? We still acted with decency and paid his full salary. Yet we were only able to sell him at that meager price.

Yes. I’m bitter.

I’m just glad he’s gone and that he’s someone else’s problem now. Good riddance and hopefully we don’t see him back in the Premier League again.

Am I being greedy for thinking he should have fetched a higher price for us? We still acted with decency and paid his full salary. Yet we were only able to sell him at that meager price.

Yes. I’m bitter.
I’m obsessed with United. I moved home to be closer to the club. But some things are more important. There’s nothing to be bitter about, mate. There will be other players.

Yes. I’m bitter.
It’s a good fee. You can’t get 40/50m for such damaged goods. Yes he was an incredible talent but he’s now best known for being an incredible wanker.

De Zerbi quitting Brighton to go and manage Marseille is strange, but think he will be a good manager to help develop Greenwood.

Yes. I’m bitter.
The worse part is that if he decides to run down his contract, we get nothing. Its unlikely considering his potential but it happened with Zaha when he ran his contract down (though that was more Crystal Palace's fault for being greedy).

I hope that 50% really kicks in otherwise Marseille got him for peanuts.

Yes. I’m bitter.

We should just be happy that this shitty saga is over. That we got any kind of a fee and a potential upside down the line is just a bonus.

Yes. I’m bitter.

It’s a good price in the circumstances (particularly with the sell-on clause), considering no one in the premier league would touch him. Possibly we might have got more by sending him on loan for another year, if he did even better than at Getafe, but better to bring this saga to a conclusion.

Yes. I’m bitter.

Marseille definitely got a bargain, but on one perspective they only bought 50% of him

I'd said previously that I'd hope to get around £50-60m for him - hopefully he does well at Marseille, gets a bigger move and the sell on clause can get us that or more

Sell on clauses always seem to complicate any future transfer though

Marseille definitely got a bargain, but on one perspective they only bought 50% of him

I'd said previously that I'd hope to get around £50-60m for him - hopefully he does well at Marseille, gets a bigger move and the sell on clause can get us that or more

Sell on clauses always seem to complicate any future transfer though

I don't think it will be much of an issue for OM once one of the bigger teams approach them with a lot of money in a couple of years - possibly PSG or a Saudi side.

Harsh on what is clearly one of Mason Greenwood's PR team creating numerous accounts here to spam praise on a weekend.

:lol: fair. As if running PR for greenwood wasn't tough enough already, without Pickle85 off the caf getting on their back!

I don't think it will be much of an issue for OM once one of the bigger teams approach them with a lot of money in a couple of years - possibly PSG or a Saudi side.

Let's hope he excels in Marseille and gets another big move so we can cash in

He settled pretty quickly at Getafe but will be more spotlight for him and the family at a bigger team in France - they didn't qualify for European competition though

Poor marseille fans. If I was one this would be my season ruined before it started. Hope he fails miserably.

Agree. Would hate it if my club had the likes of Greenwood or Partey on their books.
I'm pretty much open to the possibility partey did something really bad and I would prefer if arsenal sold him. But every time someone tries to be clever with this comparison, I always ask for the audio and pictures of what partey did so I can be 100% convinced. So far no one has provided this info. Maybe it will be you...

I'm pretty much open to the possibility partey did something really bad and I would prefer if arsenal sold him. But every time someone tries to be clever with this comparison, I always ask for the audio and pictures of what partey did so I can be 100% convinced. So far no one has provided this info. Maybe it will be you...

Like I said, I wouldn't want Greenwood anywhere near my club. Same with Partey.

Wasn't there some rumours that Partey won't travel to Spain and when Arsenal had away game in Spain, he was "injured".

Just like how clubs where Ronaldo plays suddenly stops going to USA for preseason tour.

Wasn't there some rumours that Partey won't travel to Spain and when Arsenal had away game in Spain, he was "injured".

Just like how clubs where Ronaldo plays suddenly stops going to USA for preseason tour.
Maybe, I don't follow that closely and I'm certainly not hesitant about anything because he plays for arsenal. I just find it funny when people try to have a dig at arsenal fans when the situations are really different.

Yes. I’m bitter.

I think we got a good price considering everything. Outside of the big clubs no one can pay 50m or more for these positions and those clubs were closed for him. With the baggage he brings, a 50% sell on clause is perfect.

Assuming he plays brilliantly and earns a move upwards, then it will be a 45-50 m sale of which we will get another 22-25m. That would be the best outcome.

Sad how the youth process at United failed to identify this issue and solve it earlier - but no point blaming them either.

I think we got a good price considering everything. Outside of the big clubs no one can pay 50m or more for these positions and those clubs were closed for him. With the baggage he brings, a 50% sell on clause is perfect.

Assuming he plays brilliantly and earns a move upwards, then it will be a 45-50 m sale of which we will get another 22-25m. That would be the best outcome.

Sad how the youth process at United failed to identify this issue and solve it earlier - but no point blaming them either.

How on Earth could they solve this issue? Greenwood would have been told what’s right and wrong thousands of times. You can’t teach that out of someone necessarily

How on Earth could they solve this issue? Greenwood would have been told what’s right and wrong thousands of times. You can’t teach that out of someone necessarily

I guess with young boys like him, it is stamped out at an early age when they show signs of being arrogant. There were enough signs even before he broke through into the first team that there are probably issues. Solving it could mean selling him early, or delaying his entry into the first team till his overall head gets into a better shape.

If anything, after the incident, he seems to have toned down and focussed on building a career for himself.

I guess with young boys like him, it is stamped out at an early age when they show signs of being arrogant. There were enough signs even before he broke through into the first team that there are probably issues. Solving it could mean selling him early, or delaying his entry into the first team till his overall head gets into a better shape.

If anything, after the incident, he seems to have toned down and focussed on building a career for himself.

"The incident"? It's this kind of downplaying, and the reactions of many in this and especially the other thread show why it's never going to be as easy as you seem to think to weed out this kind of behaviour. Since the dawn of man we've been trying to figure out our own brains, personalities and traits and are arguably not really much closer.

Education and being raised right certainly go a long way, but there's simply no sure fire way to know who will and won't be a violent thug, a rapist, a killer...etc. This isn't a Tom Cruise film.

Also, you don't know what he has and hasn't done since it came out, any more than you knew this was going on before.

"The incident"? It's this kind of downplaying, and the reactions of many in this and especially the other thread show why it's never going to be as easy as you seem to think to weed out this kind of behaviour. Since the dawn of man we've been trying to figure out our own brains, personalities and traits and are arguably not really much closer.

Education and being raised right certainly go a long way, but there's simply no sure fire way to know who will and won't be a violent thug, a rapist, a killer...etc. This isn't a Tom Cruise film.

Also, you don't know what he has and hasn't done since it came out, any more than you knew this was going on before.
To contextualise my post, all I’m saying is that given how the overall situation has played out it’s great that he has gone, and the price we got was very good given the circumstances.

I agree with the personality assessment issues but as a club, the powers that be should look into this and see what they can do to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

When players are showing signs of not having the right attitude (regardless of actual degree) we should be proactively working towards either offloading them or delaying them. The failure here IMO was the early promotion of Greenwood into the first team despite not having a clean personality record (solely based on his ability).

These kind of things may never be a 100% solved, but overall we have done well this summer in offloading him with a reasonable financial outcome.

To contextualise my post, all I’m saying is that given how the overall situation has played out it’s great that he has gone, and the price we got was very good given the circumstances.

I agree with the personality assessment issues but as a club, the powers that be should look into this and see what they can do to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

When players are showing signs of not having the right attitude (regardless of actual degree) we should be proactively working towards either offloading them or delaying them. The failure here IMO was the early promotion of Greenwood into the first team despite not having a clean personality record based on his ability.

These kind of things may never be a 100% solved, but overall we have done well this summer in offloading him with a reasonable financial outcome.
He had behavioural issues for sure, very public ones too.

But that's a huge leap you are making from disobeying team orders on international duty and going on to being a violent attempted rapist. If you hold every young person back from progressing in life because they acted up every now and then, the world would quickly become a much more backwards place. Unless you are suggesting it was/could be known before hand what Greenwood would end up doing.

What you are talking about is a pure pipe dream. I don't necessarily disagree with the view as a whole, in a perfect world it would be nice for that to work, but this isn't a perfect world and what you are suggesting is completely infeasible.

He had behavioural issues for sure, very public ones too.

Yeah, he did. Iceland, partying during Covid, etc.

And there were certain other things before that too - but he was hardly the only academy player who may have acted like an entitled little shit at times.

Point being, it would probably be a stretch to claim that United should have seen obvious red flags there - as in: they should've seen he was a PR disaster waiting to happen.

But - what happened after the charges were dropped: that's where United absolutely deserve criticism for how they handled it. Because at that point he was a PR disaster waiting to happen - and United actually wanted him back in the first team: that was their plan A. It was only because someone (with half a brain - I'd like to know who that was) at the last minute managed to convince them this was a very stupid idea that Arnold composed his ridiculous letter - and Greenwood was sent out on loan.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/56...le-divided-mason-greenwood-manchester-united/

Wow, things in Marseille are rather interesting.

Benoit Payan, the mayor of Marseille, said he wanted to block the transfer and that it would cover the city in “shame”.

To them, it seems at odds with the decision from club president Pablo Longoria to open their training ground to female domestic abuse victims during the Covid-19 pandemic.

“The president spoke about morality after stadium violence, he’s spoken out against illegally streaming football — but there’s no morality for a footballer, just because he’s good. It’s embarrassing and, as a fan, you can’t do anything,” Aryles, of Marseille multimedia outlet Massilia Zone, said.

A day earlier, Greenwood told the French newspaper La Provence: “I am aware of all this, of course, (the mayor’s comments) but I do not want to enter into any controversy, I already expressed my feelings last year (in a press release from August 2023). Today, all of this is now behind us.”

Seems like the manager, De Zerbi, is the biggest reason he went there.

Getafe owed 20% of the fee?
Arnold and Murtough really were stupid if it’s true.

Getafe owed 20% of the fee?
Arnold and Murtough really were stupid if it’s true.

If it's useful, there's a bit of discussion already on this topic earlier in this thread and the original (now locked) MG thread. You can look up posts relating to it in the search function. There's some speculation as to whether the 20% to Getafe is still applicable. However, it was used as an incentive for Getafe to take MG on loan when so many other clubs wouldn't touch him with a bargepole. Getafe did us a favour by taking him on, and that 20% is/was a potential reward.