Mason Greenwood, Marseille Footballer | Read the thread rules in the OP before posting

On the clause, Critchley is explicit in saying it's a straight 50% on what Marseille get, not on the profits.

People are also talking about “future sales” too which is a misunderstanding.
If we sold Greenwood outright with no sell on clause for 25m, Getafe would rightfully be due 5m and the case/transfer/clause would be done with.
We didn’t though, and Getafe are rightfully due 20% of Manchester United’s sale of Mason Greenwood; which is 5m ish now, and whatever that 50% clause amounts to.

I’d imagine that’s how these things always work, else what’s to stop Marseille selling him for 20m with an 80% sell on clause next Summer to feck United over.
Very good point.

None of it is confirmed. Not the fee or any of the clauses.

Ye you always have to take these reported details with a pinch of salt - it's highly unlikely any journos have actually seen the contract clauses and will just be going off 'sources'

But things like buy back clauses are pretty standard in young player transfers nowadays - doesn't necessarily mean the clubs are planning to bring them back but keeps all options open

people talking about the 20% clause but why do we have a buyback clause is a bigger mystery.

Even though the buyback isn't really confirmed, but let's assume it is. If Greenwood were to become a 100 million player in the future, we would get a 50% figure from profit which is about 35 million from the 70 million profit. But if we have a buy back at 50 million, we can ourselves buy him for 50 and then sell him for 100 and get a 50 million profit. Believe Madrid have done it a few times. All figures are based on the speculative numbers in the media.

I think we all just need to be happy that he's gone and let him be another clubs problem now.

The fee doesn't really matter, even if Getafe took 20% of the fee from Marseille the rest of still pure profit in the books. This sale basically let us sign Yoro without needing another outgoing in defence.

Execs doing extremely complicated deals poorly in your largely uniformed view:

“Kick them out!!!”

Player in extreme likelihood threatening rape, physically and verbally abusing their partner and breaching bail:

“Forgiveness is key, just a mistake, would keep”

“Kick them out!!!”

Player in extreme likelihood threatening rape, physically and verbally abusing their partner and breaching bail:

And then if he stays and plays shite it will be "why didn't we get rid?"

“Kick them out!!!”

When you put it like that, it really does sound absurd, doesn’t it?

Even though the buyback isn't really confirmed, but let's assume it is. If Greenwood were to become a 100 million player in the future, we would get a 50% figure from profit which is about 35 million from the 70 million profit. But if we have a buy back at 50 million, we can ourselves buy him for 50 and then sell him for 100 and get a 50 million profit. Believe Madrid have done it a few times. All figures are based on the speculative numbers in the media.
Oh snap!

“Kick them out!!!”

surprised to not see "Lot of holier than thou comments here. Have you never made a mistake at work?"

“Kick them out!!!”

surprised to not see "Lot of holier than thou comments here. Have you never made a mistake at work?"

Time to move on lads - that's last season's discussion.

Making up things that no one said to create arguments is not good for your mental health.

Let’s stop arguing about this now. The decision is made and the club move on. By all means talk about his performances but let’s stop with the “we should have kept him”

Making up things that no one said to create arguments is not good for your mental health.
Nothing has been made up and barely even embellished - quotes can very easily be provided.

How you phrase things re execs or other players vs MG is totally relevant to pause and consider/highlight.

If you don’t like how it sounds then that just requires some self reflection, rather than accusing others of making things up.

Nothing has been made up and barely even embellished - quotes can very easily be provided.

How you phrase things re execs or other players vs MG is totally relevant to pause and consider/highlight.

If you don’t like how it sounds then that just requires some self reflection, rather than accusing others of making things up.

Go ahead, provide the quotes

But Greenwood has moved on and I suggest you do too

In this thread I've commented only on the Marseille/Getafe deals and details coming out about sell on clauses etc

Certain posters seem to only pipe up with the ‘move on’ comments when it’s a disparaging remark about Greenwood and his fans. Strange.

For those who wanted to bring him back, there's an article from The Athletic today which suggests he didn't want to return anyway.

It's not last season's discussion when people try and pretend it was a normal loan to Getafe. There's quite obvious context why the deal was made the way it was and even why he was at Getafe of all places, in the first place.

I liked those two comments from @Duafc and @Lash but I've been worrying a little that this thread may start going like the other one, and your point here is why I'll be unwatching this thread from now.

Cheers all.

People are also talking about “future sales” too which is a misunderstanding.
If we sold Greenwood outright with no sell on clause for 25m, Getafe would rightfully be due 5m and the case/transfer/clause would be done with.
We didn’t though, and Getafe are rightfully due 20% of Manchester United’s sale of Mason Greenwood; which is 5m ish now, and whatever that 50% clause amounts to.

I’d imagine that’s how these things always work, else what’s to stop Marseille selling him for 20m with an 80% sell on clause next Summer to feck United over.
Yep. We’ve essentially “only” sold 50% of MG at this point, of which Getafe received their cut (20%). So in the event the sell on clause kicks in and we essentially “sell” the other portion of his 50%, they would be due their bit as well.

Yep. We’ve essentially “only” sold 50% of MG at this point, of which Getafe received their cut (20%). So in the event the sell on clause kicks in and we essentially “sell” the other portion of his 50%, they would be due their bit as well.

While I initially thought Getafe were now out of the picture, there is some logic to this unfortunately

I guess we just accept that we now own 40% rather than 50% of any future transfer - could still be a significant amount if he does well

At least he's no longer on the wage bill

While I initially thought Getafe were now out of the picture, there is some logic to this unfortunately

I guess we just accept that we now own 40% rather than 50% of any future transfer - could still be a significant amount if he does well

At least he's no longer on the wage bill
Yeah, all round complicated thing to have dealt with, which is now dealt with. I think the previous execs made it much more complicated by trying to re-integrate him - only to get that huge fan/media/staff pushback, meaning they scrambled at the last minute to find suitors - something Getafe took advantage of (kudos to them, cnuts).

Anyhow, hoping he fulfills his potential as a footballer, but more importantly, he is a decent person first and foremost.

Periodic Reminder New
Please keep this thread on topic

- No discussion of the player returning to United
- If there's a question on a mod decision, PM a mod

Like said he will easily score at least 20 goals for Marseille.

He has played for Getafe in the wrong position in most matches.

Going to be a tough thread to follow this season, many goals incoming in that De Zerbi side.