Mason Greenwood, Marseille Footballer | Read the thread rules in the OP before posting

This is getting hilarious now, you didn't refer to a few, you referred to people and then included me in it (still no idea why). So no need to get defenseive. It's fine, we don't agree on things. Just call people out specifically and don't generalise.

Yes, the people who claimed to want to follow his career and analyze his performances. That's a very small subset of people, this isn't difficult.

It's not difficult to grasp at all, this is a unique case in point. Firstly we were aware of that dynamic with the likelihood being positive posts only, (yet the argument given at the time was that it wasn't and would be a thread to discuss all aspects of performance) and we didn't want a thread that only focused on the positives of a quite awful individual.

No idea why that is so difficult to grasp for some

Secondly, the idea that poor performances of highly lauded players don't get discussed is utter nonsense. Suddenly football fans only focus on the positives!?!

I think you are talking about opinions from last season and there was plenty of discussion of good and bad performances - things have changed a lot now that he's been sold, interest is inevitably more superficial as he is now an explayer.

Last season I had an interest in how he was performing and would look out for Getafe results and performance reports as he was still officially a United player. I know several were even watching Getafe matches which I found a bit weird but it was happening.

This season I seriously doubt many (if any) are taking that much interest in specific Marseille matches (I'm certainly not) so it's only going to be when he does something noteworthy that we even hear about it from newspapers, social media etc.

For me now, the interest is mostly just about the sell on clause plus I tend to keep half an eye out for all exAcademy players to see how they are getting on.

Going around in circles here. Player plays good, interest in player. Player plays average, no real interest in player Player plays really bad, interest in player. That's how these player threads work mate.
His manager commented on his poor form in the press.

I think you are talking about opinions from last season and there was plenty of discussion of good and bad performances - things have changed a lot now that he's been sold, interest is inevitably more superficial as he is now an explayer.

Last season I had an interest in how he was performing and would look out for Getafe results and performance reports as he was still officially a United player. I know several were even watching Getafe matches which I found a bit weird but it was happening.

This season I seriously doubt many (if any) are taking that much interest in specific Marseille matches (I'm certainly not) so it's only going to be when he does something noteworthy that we even hear about it from newspapers, social media etc.

For me now, the interest is mostly just about the sell on clause plus I tend to keep half an eye out for all exAcademy players to see how they are getting on.

I wasn't aware the incessant debate and heartfelt positions taken were time sensitive.

Edit - and as I said above the newspapers did comment on his poor form. It was ignored on here.

Secondly, the idea that poor performances of highly lauded players don't get discussed is utter nonsense. Suddenly football fans only focus on the positives!?!

Exhibit A: The Haaland thread, that gets bumped virtually every time he doesn't score.

Unfortunately for everyone, Greenwood enjoys a similar level of scrutiny on a Utd forum, for obvious reasons that exceed what he has accomplished on the pitch.

My entire point initially is that even if you came in here to do either, it just devolves into others coming in saying "who cares he's a woman beating cnut" and it all becomes utter pointless. Better to just do away with all of it.
Never pointless to point out that domestic abusers are domestic abusers.

Just the one goat and they call him ...

Looks like he's responded to the comments with his recent performance. Will be interesting to see if he can keep it up.
Personally, I couldn't give a toss. When I read De Zerbi's comments about his poor form I was just reminded of all the bad faith bullshit I argued against on here, knowing it wouldn't be acknowledged.

I wasn't aware the incessant debate and heartfelt positions taken were time sensitive.

Edit - and as I said above the newspapers did comment on his poor form. It was ignored on here.

Any link to those comments? I haven't seen them

Last season there was plenty of discussion about good and bad performances because he was still a United player with a chance of coming back to the club. A few United news websites would post performance reports after every Getafe game - no one is doing that now that he's an explayer.

Likewise this is a different thread in a different forum, only normal that the level of interest is different - as a player he's now in the same category as Elanga, Fernandes etc so I'd expect a similar level of interest in actual performances.

Last season there was plenty of discussion about good and bad performances because he was still a United player with a chance of coming back to the club. A few United news websites would post performance reports after every Getafe game - no one is doing that now that he's an explayer.

Likewise this is a different thread in a different forum, only normal that the level of interest is different - as a player he's now in the same category as Elanga, Fernandes etc so I'd expect a similar level of interest in actual performances.

Really ? Astounding. As far as I recall you were ever present in all stages of the discussion until you were thread banned for bad faith posting. So no surprise it continues.

The squirming, moving of goalposts and mental gymnastics is telling. I'm approaching being embarrassed on behalf of some of you.

Edit - sorry I thought you meant the comments on here. I don't expect everyone to have seen De Zerbi's comments but I did so I can't imagine I was alone. I only posted it in reply to the idea that only newsworthy dips in form would be discussed. They weren't, as was always expected and the reason we didn't want a 'performance' only thread for a domestic abuser.

De Zerbi supposedly said Greenwood (among other players) was "not in shape".

This has been reported all over the place, but exactly what it means is a different matter.

(I wouldn't jump to the conclusion he's not training well/has been unprofessional/anything like that. It could simply mean that he's not performed as well as one could hope for lately - the comment was supposedly made after a dry spell.)

It's odd you haven't seen this, though - like I said, it's been reported all over.

I mean "odd" in the sense that you seem to be following the player's career (for some reason).

Last edited:
De Zerbi supposedly said Greenwood (among other players) was "not in shape".

This has been reported all over the place, but exactly what it means is a different matter.

(I wouldn't jump to the conclusion he's not training well/has been unprofessional/anything like that. It could simply mean that he's not performed as well as one could hope for lately - the comment was supposedly made after a dry spell.)

It's odd you haven't seen this, though - like I said, it's been reported all over.

I mean "odd" in the sense that you seem to be following the player's career (for some reason).
Thanks for that, not sure why Moses couldn't have just posted the same - but I actually did a search and can't find any proper reference to the source of these comments apart from a vague mention here:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mason-greenwood-de-zerbi-marseille-33936116

You say it's been reported all over - where exactly ?

And I just explained above why my interest in Greenwood is completely different now than last season - I can only speak for myself but I'd assume it's similar for many

Quality control
Shit thread.

At this point, it’s basically just a load of unstable virtue signalling people, who can’t just discuss his performances, and revert to the domestic abuse allegations. Anyone with even an iota of maturity would have left this building a long time ago. But no. Let’s keep this train rolling. . .

Discuss his performances, or shut the feck up.

Shit thread.

At this point, it’s basically just a load of unstable virtue signalling people, who can’t just discuss his performances, and revert to the domestic abuse allegations. Anyone with even an iota of maturity would have left this building a long time ago. But no. Let’s keep this train rolling. . .

Glad we got rid of him.

You say it's been reported all over - where exactly ?

Well, I could post ten links to the same statement being reported - but it seems a bit pointless.

Google it - you'll get plenty of results.

As far as I can tell, the actual comment was made in a presser or a post-match interview.

ETA The "story" after the 5-0 game seems to be mainly that Greenwood responded well to DZ's comments (by scoring and possibly assisting, not sure). But he did "respond" to an actual comment made by his coach - that is the "story".

Shit thread.

The domestic abuse allegations are inseparable from who he is as a person. Also, using the term “virtue signalling”? Yikes.

The domestic abuse allegations are inseparable from who he is as a person. Also, using the term “virtue signalling”? Yikes.
Exactly what it is. It’s repeated ad nasuem for what I can only suspect is point scoring on the internet; else you could easily refrain from posting your thoughts on Mason as a person.

For the record, I also think he’s a scumbag, but I don’t run to the thread of a player that no longer players for us (which might I add the request has been made to NOT post about his abuse allegations, continuously) to let the world know about it. That ship has sailed a long time ago.

Sounds like a you problem buddy. If you don't give a toss about his performances you are free to not message me asking what I think of his manager's comments (which speaking of good/bad faith, was clearly in bad faith as you had no real intention of discussing it. Ironic eh).
Firstly we have slightly different roles here buddy.

And it's not ironic, I have made it clear I don't want to discuss him at all. So again, consistent since day one. I'm a tedious fecker in that regard.

I was pointing out the stupidity/hypocrisy of those who claimed a performance only thread wouldn't become a eulogy to an abuser. Which I stated from the off would be a bad look for the caf.

Exactly what it is. It’s repeated ad nasuem for what I can only suspect is point scoring on the internet; else you could easily refrain from posting your thoughts on Mason as a person.

For the record, I also think he’s a scumbag, but I don’t run to the thread of a player that no longer players for us (which might I add the request has been made to NOT post about his abuse allegations, continuously) to let the world know about it. That ship has sailed a long time ago.
The idea that voicing dislike for abusers and tolerance for abuse would be point scoring reveals a lot about you.

For others it's just providing necessary context to the fawning.

It's also been repeated ad nauseam that this isn't a performance thread, but here we are.

It’s quite revealing that you seem to think people only voice their moral objections to score points with others.

Shit thread.

You don't make the rules here. You don't like a thread, stay out of it. It's simple.

Read the opening post.

Shit thread.

This is very unhinged behaviour.

Well, I could post ten links to the same statement being reported - but it seems a bit pointless.

Google it - you'll get plenty of results.

As far as I can tell, the actual comment was made in a presser or a post-match interview.

ETA The "story" after the 5-0 game seems to be mainly that Greenwood responded well to DZ's comments (by scoring and possibly assisting, not sure). But he did "respond" to an actual comment made by his coach - that is the "story".

I did a quick search and came up with nothing more than one vague sentence - is this all there is?

"Some of our decisive players are not in shape, like Mason Greenwood," De Zerbi said.

I assumed there would be a longer quote from presser with more detail seeing as people were going on about it

Shit thread.

Imagine being this tilted over Mason fecking Greenwood. Talk about having your priorities straight.

I assumed there would be a longer quote from presser with more detail seeing as people were going on about it
People weren't. I mentioned it.

Only because I had read it in the sports news, and then in here we were told nothing negative was being discussed because it wasn't in the news.

A brief search shows it on multiple sports news sites and tweets.