Mason Greenwood, Marseille Footballer | Read the thread rules in the OP before posting

Nobody discussed his performances when he didn't score or assist for 4 games though.
This is a nothing comment which just keeps getting repeated over and over. I mean do people have to justify commenting on when he scores / assists because they might not have posted he didn’t assist or score in a previous game ?? It’s “nauseating”
No former player get bumped in a thread for not assisting or scoring in 4 games. I don’t know why certain posters on here feel like an update when he doesn’t score.
But feel free to post if he doesn’t score on here on a regular basis .

I don't think it's strange at all to expect some performance discussion after all the moaning by users wanting performance discussion.

Also, he is not just "another random player in another league", and I think you know it. He is a player who's had several threads on here adding up to hundreds of pages and tens of thousands of posts quite recently, but whose performances where he didn't score or assist for several weeks got hardly any posts.

Because, as I explained before, hardly anyone is going to be watching full 90's of Marseille. Especially when a hated ex-player is playing well so far for them, because you can't even hate watch in that if that's your thing. So unless he does something noteworthy, good or bad, you won't see much posted about his play in this thread.

There's hardly going to be some in depth analysis of his progressive carries and 7.2 rating on a random Sunday Ligue 1 match if he didn't score/assist/have a stinker.

This is a nothing comment which just keeps getting repeated over and over. I mean do people have to justify commenting on when he scores / assists because they might not have posted he didn’t assist or score in a previous game ?? It’s “nauseating”
No former player get bumped in a thread for not assisting or scoring in 4 games. I don’t know why certain posters on here feel like an update when he doesn’t score.
But if people are so interested in discussing performances, then you'd expect them to discuss performances, good and bad.

Because, as I explained before, hardly anyone is going to be watching full 90's of Marseille. Especially when a hated ex-player is playing well so far for them, because you can't even hate watch in that if that's your thing. So unless he does something noteworthy, good or bad, you won't see much posted about his play in this thread.

There's hardly going to be some in depth analysis of his progressive carries and 7.2 rating on a random Sunday Ligue 1 match if he didn't score/assist/have a stinker.
It’s almost like people just want to celebrate his goals, rather than actually critique his performances.

It’s almost like people just want to celebrate his goals, rather than actually critique his performances.
My entire point initially is that even if you came in here to do either, it just devolves into others coming in saying "who cares he's a woman beating cnut" and it all becomes utter pointless. Better to just do away with all of it.

I've been watching his performances closely and have come to the conclusion that he is a massive dickhead.

But if people are so interested in discussing performances, then you'd expect them to discuss performances, good and bad.
Yes totally agree as I said to the reply he’s free to post if he doesn’t score , it just isn’t as newsworthy as scoring

I've watched him with the focus of a hawk by the way. I am more qualified to discern the xDickheadability (xD) than nearly everyone else signed up on this forum. He has an xD of 0.99. He's got elite xD traits.

Nobody discussed his performances when he didn't score or assist for 4 games though.

One poster went to a Marseille match in early October and bumped the thread to say he played poorly. Strangely enough none of the lads who are clamouring to discuss his performances any time he scores a goal seemed to have anything to say.

Yes totally agree as I said to the reply he’s free to post if he doesn’t score , it just isn’t as newsworthy as scoring
Agreed but I suppose the question is why the folks who profess to be really interested in how he's doing don't also post when he doesn't score. It's almost like they just want to cheer his good performances and ignore the mediocre/poor.

Agreed but I suppose the question is why the folks who profess to be really interested in how he's doing don't also post when he doesn't score. It's almost like they just want to cheer his good performances and ignore the mediocre/poor.

You are confused why a thread is only bumped when an attacker who is having a good season scores goals? There are very few threads that follow non-united players that are updated religiously every single game. This being updated if he scores or if he was to go on a run of poor performances is no different to the majority of non-united threads. I suspect you know that though.

You are confused why a thread is only bumped when an attacker who is having a good season scores goals? There are very few threads that follow non-united players that are updated religiously every single game. This being updated if he scores or if he was to go on a run of poor performances is no different to the majority of non-united threads. I suspect you know that though.
I find it bizarre that many posters seem more interested in following Greenwood than, say, Elanga, when they’ve heard a recording of him attempting to rape someone. Especially when Elanga plays in a league they actually follow. Why do you think that is?

He's no ordinary former player though, we have posted about him tens of thousands of times in the past couple of years, a level of attention no other former player has had in a very long time, except Ronaldo. Also, no other player has dozens of users moaning about not being allowed to freely discuss his performances to then just not discuss his performances.

I won't post when he doesn't play well because I don't give a feck about him as a footballer, but I will when "discussing his performances" becomes what we all know it truly was all along: celebrating his goals, gushing over his talent, implicitly or explicitly lamenting he's not playing for United and shrugging off what he very likely did to his partner. What can I say, I'm woke like that.

I find it bizarre that many posters seem more interested in following Greenwood than, say, Elanga, when they’ve heard a recording of him attempting to rape someone. Especially when Elanga plays in a league they actually follow. Why do you think that is?

When Elanga first moved to Forest and put in good performances and a couple goals his thread was more active, since then he hasn't done much and therefore its not active with the odd bump when does score. Greenwood is scoring/assisting more, is a higher rated player and its his first season at Marseille so his thread is more active. Again, I don't think I really need to spell this out for you. Good player puts in good performances gets talked about, unless good player is completely stinking out the place it won't get talked about, as goes the majority of non-united player threads.

But we're not talking 'every single game'. We are talking literally no update until he does something his bizarre fans seem worthy of fawning over, at which point they gush here.

As for the thread being bumped if he went on a run of poor performances...no chance. The 'we heart Ma$e' fanclub would stay as far away from the thread as possible until he once again did something they deemed worthy of their adoration again. And the folks that can't stand him, don't follow him and have zero interest in his career, so they wouldn't be bumping it either.

If you can't see how this thread is different to other ex united player performance threads then you're either deluded or disingenuous.

Elanga hasn’t done a whole lot lately lazy comparison and justifies my point . Compare him to Welbeck who’s thread is constantly been bumped as he’s having a great season.

But we're not talking 'every single game'. We are talking literally no update until he does something

You are describing the majority of non-united player threads here mate. Talented player scores/assist, talented player has transfer rumour, talented player has a run of games where he isn't living up to the hype. The basics of a non-united player thread. Greenwood is having a very good season in France so its more active, Elanga's was active when he had his good start at forest, now isn't active because he isn't doing much. As another poster highlighted Wellbeck is having a good season, so his thread is more active. If Greenwood was struggling in France, no goals and on the bench that would likely be talked about. Again, you are complaining that posters are using this thread for exactly what its designed to be used for and in a way that is very similar to other non-united player threads.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I read that a couple times over because I'm really not sure if that's proper terminology or not
It's actually a term and I used it correctly. Its probably just not as commonly used these days
But he hasn't really shown that has he? Perhaps he will, but a purple patch in France does not mean that he can play in Europe's top sides.
He was also among the best players in La Liga while on loan at Getafe and was nominated for inclusion in the La Liga team of the season. This was after missing football for 18 months. He still has the same talent and footballing potential most of the fanbase couldn't stop talking about before he fecked it all up.
Your love for a domestic abuser is very weird.

We have quite a few club legends and others who fit this description, but they seemingly only have/had 'personal demons' to the many who continue to sing their praises. Greenwood doesn't deserve adulation, just making a point about the nuances that come with how certain players are viewed after committing the unthinkable

It's actually a term and I used it correctly. Its probably just not as commonly used these days

He was also among the best players in La Liga while on loan at Getafe and was nominated for inclusion in the La Liga team of the season. This was after missing football for 18 months. He still has the same talent and footballing potential most of the fanbase couldn't stop talking about before he fecked it all up.

We have quite a few club legends and others who fit this description, but they seemingly only have/had 'personal demons' to the many who continue to sing their praises. Greenwood doesn't deserve adulation, just making a point about the nuances that come with how certain players are viewed after committing the unthinkable
Just give up mate. I mean, be serious, there are people on this board who made it their mission to remind everybody who will post in here about what kind of person the player is for them (obviously I don't judge, everybody may do what he/she likes to do). They aren't receiving your messages, aren't willing to, they are just there for sending theirs. If you don't want your intentions being asked for after every post, just save yourself the effort. This isn't the place for it, the people in charge don't want it and will enforce it, which is their good right of course.

Ryan Giggs is a massive cnut too.

Why are you trying to write things off as "personal demons?"

Just give up mate. I mean, be serious, there are people on this board who made it their mission to remind everybody who will post in here about what kind of person the player is for them (obviously I don't judge, everybody may do what he/she likes to do). They aren't receiving your messages, aren't willing to, they are just there for sending theirs. If you don't want your intentions being asked for after every post, just save yourself the effort. This isn't the place for it, the people in charge don't want it and will enforce it, which is their good right of course.
I hear you. I pretty much got the message directly from a moderator in this thread. I was going to make that my final post
Ryan Giggs is a massive cnut too.

Why are you trying to write things off as "personal demons?"
Im not writing anything off, quite literally the opposite. Many others have and that was what I as alluding to. Giggs's image hardly took a dent though. Ferguson was a strong character witness in court and the reports of his actions were met with more overall lingering banter than drawn out serious discussion and anger.

Better to just do away with all of it.
If you haven't understood the why we haven't then just ignore the thread.

People want to celebrate his goals, even though they would describe this as a desire to discuss his performances. So if we take away the thread for people to celebrate his goals and ignore his dips in form they will be unhappy.

A thread which is just basically praise for a person who many see as a vile domestic abuser would also upset a lot of people.

So we have this compromise where everyone is a loser.

If we all stop posting it will fade away.

I understand why. The more something is okay to talk about, the more people start accepting its idea.

Take Islamophobia: it's on the rise across Europe more generally, but you can see particular jumps when Islamophobic parties make significant progress in elections. The Netherlands is a prime example of that. I happen to have read an article about it today, and it reminded me how certain sentiments can thrive when they can be freely discussed without judgement, and don't have the same adherence (also not secretly) if the sentiment is rejected at every turn. It's a kind of Overton window for public opinion.

And that rejection is what's happening here: at every turn, the idea is criticized that you can treat like any other footballer (with the respect, fame, adulation) someone who did what Greenwood did and doesn't express any kind of remorse or offer any explanation, and can continue his career. For this to be effective, the criticism has to be constant: if you stop ('we've said it enough now'), you allow the window to widen.

Obviously, different places will have different perspectives on these things. But as you say, admin on the Caf thinks similarly to the criticism. And so that's what we'll continue to see.

If you haven't understood the why we haven't then just ignore the thread.

People want to celebrate his goals, even though they would describe this as a desire to discuss his performances. So if we take away the thread for people to celebrate his goals and ignore his dips in form they will be unhappy.

A thread which is just basically praise for a person who many see as a vile domestic abuser would also upset a lot of people.

So we have this compromise where everyone is a loser.

If we all stop posting it will fade away.
Think you’re vastly overestimating the amount of people that will be unhappy if you take away the thread. And I generally don’t really come in here except occasionally to see what people are saying about how he’s playing, which is where my observation today came from.

But whatever. Not a big deal either way

He lowered his potential because of his horrendous actions, so no, i do not think he has the same ceiling as he did before.

As for the last paragraph, what is the point that are you trying to make? What nuance ought we to apply after seeing someone abuse their partner and take no accountability?

My entire point initially is that even if you came in here to do either, it just devolves into others coming in saying "who cares he's a woman beating cnut" and it all becomes utter pointless. Better to just do away with all of it.
It might be pointless for you. But perhaps not for others.

Think you’re vastly overestimating the amount of people that will be unhappy if you take away the thread. And I generally don’t really come in here except occasionally to see what people are saying about how he’s playing, which is where my observation today came from.

But whatever. Not a big deal either way
I'm not estimating at all. There was a tedious long debate.

I understand why. The more something is okay to talk about, the more people start accepting its idea.

Take Islamophobia: it's on the rise across Europe more generally, but you can see particular jumps when Islamophobic parties make significant progress in elections. The Netherlands is a prime example of that. I happen to have read an article about it today, and it reminded me how certain sentiments can thrive when they can be freely discussed without judgement, and don't have the same adherence (also not secretly) if the sentiment is rejected at every turn. It's a kind of Overton window for public opinion.

And that rejection is what's happening here: at every turn, the idea is criticized that you can treat like any other footballer (with the respect, fame, adulation) someone who did what Greenwood did and doesn't express any kind of remorse or offer any explanation, and can continue his career. For this to be effective, the criticism has to be constant: if you stop ('we've said it enough now'), you allow the window to widen.

Obviously, different places will have different perspectives on these things. But as you say, admin on the Caf thinks similarly to the criticism. And so that's what we'll continue to see.
I hear you. And I think it is plausible but a) I think it is a slippery slope because pushing something into the shadows is not really getting rid of it (historic parallel might be prohibition), it just creates a potential that is then "used" or "catered for" by shady figures. And b) while I certainly agree with your observation, I am not too sure, whether we (as we as humans at this point in time) have already really understood how those mechanisms really function. You might be right, maybe speaking about things lowers some barriers that should not be low or lowered, but maybe the mechanism is a little more refined like that. Historic parallel that jump into my head here is sexual morals in the western world (don't know whether it was/is the same in other parts of the world), something that has been kept in the shadows and had some sort of taboo, which led to issues with suppression.

But all that is stuff for a different thread.

I hear you. And I think it is plausible but a) I think it is a slippery slope because pushing something into the shadows is not really getting rid of it (historic parallel might be prohibition), it just creates a potential that is then "used" or "catered for" by shady figures. And b) while I certainly agree with your observation, I am not too sure, whether we (as we as humans at this point in time) have already really understood how those mechanisms really function. You might be right, maybe speaking about things lowers some barriers that should not be low or lowered, but maybe the mechanism is a little more refined like that. Historic parallel that jump into my head here is sexual morals in the western world (don't know whether it was/is the same in other parts of the world), something that has been kept in the shadows and had some sort of taboo, which led to issues with suppression.

But all that is stuff for a different thread.

I don't think anybody will be suppressed by not being able to talk about Greenwood on a football forum of a club he doesn't play for. There's plenty of other cesspits where you can knock one out over him knocking a couple past Gauthier Larsonneur if you're desperate to. No reason to spam this forum with "look at this goal, deserves a second chance, such a poor misunderstood boy" followed by "he's a wife beating rapist, feck this shit" x 10,000 forever. Nobody is changing their minds about him now, closing the thread would be a kindness to all concerned.

Prohibition "worked" in the sense of substantially lowering alcohol consumption. It failed in completely stamping it out, because drinking was and is an important part of American culture and people's lives. Restricting supply made it a more valuable commodity, and therefore an obvious target for organized crime, with the resulting increase in violence and political corruption combined with a lack of oversight.

Some of these factors might not apply to the craving some people have for praising Mason Greenwood on an internet forum without others pointing out what we all heard on the recording.

I’m just remembering those people who said to “bring him back” and that all of Old Trafford would forget about it when he scored a few.

What’s funniest about this thread is that the Greenwood apologists seem to think it’s a binary point of principle. I detest the bloke and have a pitiful view of anyone that’s complaining they can’t celebrate his football exploits without his off the field actions being pointed out.

But that’s not a product of us here. It’s a product of Greenwoods actions. Not the disgusting abuse. But his actions after that point. The whitewashing of history because of a proposal or a baby. Those things should be possible in a functioning society, but he has to make a path, then walk it. He’s said nothing about it, won’t acknowledge it. Hoping it just goes away.

But sport is awash with this kind of thing. Take Mike Tyson. The fella went to prison for rape. He’s also spoken at length over a world of discomfort from his past. Crimes, bad behaviour, how nasty and broken he was.

Now I’m not saying that Tyson has done a step for step redemptive journey that meets my specific needs. That’s not how society works. But there’s at least an evidence base of contrition and accountability.

Obviously he’s massively helped by the passage of time. He’s somehow been rehabilitated into a psychonaught grandad over 30 years.

But that’s allowed the sporting community to discuss his sporting exploits without forever delving into his depravity at every turn. It still feels awkward and wrong. But less so.

It’s the absence of accountability that will see this thread a horror show forever. I’m not going to suggest how he could handle it. I honestly don’t care. But for a not comparable but adjacent situation, take a look at Delle Alli. He was a waste of a career, lazy, petulant, and a whole host of things. One sit down with Gary Neville and he suddenly had the football world volte face on their opinion of him.

Greenwood has teams of advisers and agents that could have (and indeed may) give him a path that sees him apologise for his actions. To show contrition, acknowledge that no man should ever speak to or treat a woman in that way. To show some growth so he can move on with life.

In absence of that, right headed people have zero options. He did a violent thing and is still reaping the rewards for how well he kicks a football. Without knowing that he himself hates the person that did it, how on earth can anyone want to see anything about him?

6 goals and 2 assists in 8 games in the French league. Will be interesting to see if he can keep up that ratio throughout the season.

What’s funniest about this thread is that the Greenwood apologists seem to think it’s a binary point of principle. I detest the bloke and have a pitiful view of anyone that’s complaining they can’t celebrate his football exploits without his off the field actions being pointed out.

But that’s not a product of us here. It’s a product of Greenwoods actions. Not the disgusting abuse. But his actions after that point. The whitewashing of history because of a proposal or a baby. Those things should be possible in a functioning society, but he has to make a path, then walk it. He’s said nothing about it, won’t acknowledge it. Hoping it just goes away.

But sport is awash with this kind of thing. Take Mike Tyson. The fella went to prison for rape. He’s also spoken at length over a world of discomfort from his past. Crimes, bad behaviour, how nasty and broken he was.

Now I’m not saying that Tyson has done a step for step redemptive journey that meets my specific needs. That’s not how society works. But there’s at least an evidence base of contrition and accountability.

Obviously he’s massively helped by the passage of time. He’s somehow been rehabilitated into a psychonaught grandad over 30 years.

But that’s allowed the sporting community to discuss his sporting exploits without forever delving into his depravity at every turn. It still feels awkward and wrong. But less so.

It’s the absence of accountability that will see this thread a horror show forever. I’m not going to suggest how he could handle it. I honestly don’t care. But for a not comparable but adjacent situation, take a look at Delle Alli. He was a waste of a career, lazy, petulant, and a whole host of things. One sit down with Gary Neville and he suddenly had the football world volte face on their opinion of him.

Greenwood has teams of advisers and agents that could have (and indeed may) give him a path that sees him apologise for his actions. To show contrition, acknowledge that no man should ever speak to or treat a woman in that way. To show some growth so he can move on with life.

In absence of that, right headed people have zero options. He did a violent thing and is still reaping the rewards for how well he kicks a football. Without knowing that he himself hates the person that did it, how on earth can anyone want to see anything about him?
Helps Tyson that he is one of the greatest and most famous boxers of all time and let's face it the world was very different 30 years ago

Much easier to discard Greenwood to the trash heap