Mason Greenwood, Marseille Footballer | Read the thread rules in the OP before posting

I wouldn't waste your time as that one, like all the others being disingenuous, won't last long.
The only positive thing about this thread is it weeds out people who shouldn't be on here.

It's just the fact that some of these sympathisers genuinely believe they have the right to a safe space to discuss the merits of this guy makes my blood boil.

The only positive thing about this thread is it weeds out people who shouldn't be on here.

It's just the fact that some of these sympathisers genuinely believe they have the right to a safe space to discuss the merits of this guy makes my blood boil.
Luckily, there's a lot of genuinely good people running this place.

It's one of those rare occasions where them being all old farts with a bit of life experience actually works in their favour!

We have one such winger-cum-Attacking midfielder in Garnacho, no? He appears to have license to shoot on sight and seldom links up well with Hojlund or whoever is at CF. Greenwood was similar for us but a much more accomplished finisher and dribbler. He was a more natural finisher than Rashford
We are never gonna find out so why waste energy on it?

We have one such winger-cum-Attacking midfielder in Garnacho, no? He appears to have license to shoot on sight and seldom links up well with Hojlund or whoever is at CF. Greenwood was similar for us but a much more accomplished finisher and dribbler. He was a more natural finisher than Rashford
Greenwood was not a better dribbler than Garnacho.

Also, as @golden_blunder says the standard of the leagues aren't even remotely comparable. Also I said no major, top team would be in for him at the moment and you replied to say he's shown better than our other forwards have. Ignoring everything else, do you think we are a top team at the moment?

Luckily, there's a lot of genuinely good people running this place.

It's one of those rare occasions where them being all old farts with a bit of life experience actually works in their favour!
Amen to that. Maybe this means I'm slowly becoming an old fart myself. That is sobering!

We are never gonna find out so why waste energy on it?

You mentioned Greenwood being the type of player to not follow instructions, then mentioned Solskjaer's approach as being 'shoot first' and 'enjoy your football and have fun'. Wouldn't you say then that Greenwood followed instructions considering his game while at united? Is Garnacho not a similar player under Ten Hag?

Greenwood was not a better dribbler than Garnacho.

Also, as @golden_blunder says the standard of the leagues aren't even remotely comparable. Also I said no major, top team would be in for him at the moment and you replied to say he's shown better than our other forwards have. Ignoring everything else, do you think we are a top team at the moment?

Greenwood has more successful Old Trafford and overall career dribbles per 90 than Garnacho. Niether are great dribblers but they're more than good enough. It's an area Greenwood has even improved on since coming back.

The standards of the leagues are not comparable but Greenwood already showed prowess in the PL under Solskjaer. Garnacho is yet to match Greenwoods contributions at united

Greenwood is among only four players to score 20 premier league goals in their teens. Rooney, Fowler and Owen are the other three. He also matched the club record set by George Best, Rooney and Brian Kidd for most goals in a single season aged 18.

Greenwood is among only four players to score 20 premier league goals in their teens. Rooney, Fowler and Owen are the other three. He also matched the club record set by George Best, Rooney and Brian Kidd for most goals in a single season aged 18.
What point are you trying to make here?

What point are you trying to make here?

I'm expressing my opinion that he's shown he still has the ability and talent to play for one of Europe's top sides, despite the contrary view expressed in one of the posts I was responding to.

I also fairly compared him to Garnacho, a player with similar traits. The other post I responded to suggested that Greenwood might struggle under Ten Hag because he 'doesn't follow instructions', to which I brought up Garnacho's role under Ten Hag.

I don’t care about Greenwood, but we need him to perform greatly to get that sell-on clause money.

We need to deal with FFP. We had to sell McTominay, an academy product last summer exactly because of FFP. What if it’s Kobbie Mainoo next who we may have to sell to balance the book?

We need every penny we can get. And that includes the Greenwood money.

I don’t care about Greenwood, but we need him to perform greatly to get that sell-on clause money.

We need to deal with FFP. We had to sell McTominay, an academy product last summer exactly because of FFP. What if it’s Kobbie Mainoo next who we may have to sell to balance the book?

We need every penny we can get. And that includes the Greenwood money.

I'd imagine the next major academy graduate will be Garnacho. If he gets any better, at his age, the likes of Real Madrid will be swooping in with a mammoth bid. Not unfair to think it will be about 100'million if he gets really good.

Rashford to psg is another one. It was touted over the summer, as it has been before.

Both, unless I'm mistaken in the case of the former, are psrffpwhatever-laden treats and we'll have to have to if our form dips anymore.

Mainoo is the right side of 25 and is local. Can see us keeping a more precious and jealous grip on him, but is isn't impossible he will be clipped, too.

You mentioned Greenwood being the type of player to not follow instructions, then mentioned Solskjaer's approach as being 'shoot first' and 'enjoy your football and have fun'. Wouldn't you say then that Greenwood followed instructions considering his game while at united? Is Garnacho not a similar player under Ten Hag?

Greenwood has more successful Old Trafford and overall career dribbles per 90 than Garnacho. Niether are great dribblers but they're more than good enough. It's an area Greenwood has even improved on since coming back.

The standards of the leagues are not comparable but Greenwood already showed prowess in the PL under Solskjaer. Garnacho is yet to match Greenwoods contributions at united

Greenwood flew out of the traps at Old Trafford and then, if anything, plateaued a little when defenders started figuring him out.

Re dribbling, I think time will tell - you say he's gotten better since playing again. I've not watched him so have no opinion but, again, don't you think the comparative quality of the leagues may play a role in this?

You never answered the question do you think we're a top team? As if you don't then the point imo stands, as he's still not shown anything to make people think he should be starting for a top team now.

Garnacho works hard up and down. Yes last season he was greedy and shot a lot to hojlunds detriment. This season he’s been learning when to give the ball more.
I never found greenwood to be a player that was prepared to dig in, he was somewhat lazy in doing the dirty work

Anyway again what’s the point in these long discussion? I think he’s a scumbag as does a lot of the forum so what’s your point here?

Greenwood flew out of the traps at Old Trafford and then, if anything, plateaued a little when defenders started figuring him out.

Re dribbling, I think time will tell - you say he's gotten better since playing again. I've not watched him so have no opinion but, again, don't you think the comparative quality of the leagues may play a role in this?

You never answered the question do you think we're a top team? As if you don't then the point imo stands, as he's still not shown anything to make people think he should be starting for a top team now.

His dribbling stats actually hit a career peak while on loan in La Liga with a struggling Getafe. He had the fourth highest dribble completion percentage in the league behind Bellingham, Isco and Cancelo. He beat out the likes of Yamal, Niko Williams, Savio, Rodrygo and Vinicious jnr

He's the current second top scorer in Ligue 1, by just one goal. Marseille are challenging PSG. It may be less competitive than the PL, but Ligue 1 produces and exports more talent than any other top league in Europe. If anything top performers in ligue 1 often move to England and seldom disappoint therefore we shouldn't really be looking down on ligue 1. Yoro is likely going to walk into our starting 11 in no time after his recovery for instance.

Greenwood's return season on loan with Getafe was successful. He was named their player of the season and was nominated for the La Liga team of the season despite Getafes struggles.

I could see him starting or featuring prominently for clubs like City (Halland is their only CF), Arsenal (he's a better all round player than Havertz and he can do anything that a stand in like Trossard does) or Liverpool (He's a better finisher and is more explosive than Gakpo, Nunez and Jota). He'd easily start for this rejuvenated Chelsea team. He's a better finisher than Jackson and pretty much all their forwards perhaps bar Palmer. Nkunku is always injured
Garnacho works hard up and down. Yes last season he was greedy and shot a lot to hojlunds detriment. This season he’s been learning when to give the ball more.
I never found greenwood to be a player that was prepared to dig in, he was somewhat lazy in doing the dirty work

Anyway again what’s the point in these long discussion? I think he’s a scumbag as does a lot of the forum so what’s your point here?

Yes he's a scumbag who rightly will never play for this club again. However I thought this thread is about football.

Garnacho is still greedy and still often makes the wrong decisions in the final third. Just look at the thread marks in a few of his current season performance thread. If he didn't score against Brentford for instance he'd have recieved some overall negative ratings because he spurned a few chances due to his greed and shoot first approach especially in the first half.

Last edited:

Amen to that. This thread is "great" to update the ignore list.

I'd imagine the next major academy graduate will be Garnacho. If he gets any better, at his age, the likes of Real Madrid will be swooping in with a mammoth bid. Not unfair to think it will be about 100'million if he gets really good.

Rashford to psg is another one. It was touted over the summer, as it has been before.

Both, unless I'm mistaken in the case of the former, are psrffpwhatever-laden treats and we'll have to have to if our form dips anymore.

Mainoo is the right side of 25 and is local. Can see us keeping a more precious and jealous grip on him, but is isn't impossible he will be clipped, too.
I've had to read this a couple of times and even then I'm still not sure what the hell your trying to say in a couple of these paragraphs.

His dribbling stats actually hit a career peak while on loan in La Liga with a struggling Getafe. He had the fourth highest dribble completion percentage in the league behind Bellingham, Isco and Cancelo. He beat out the likes of Yamal, Niko Williams, Savio, Rodrygo and Vinicious jnr

He's the current second top scorer in Ligue 1, by just one goal. Marseille are challenging PSG. It may be less competitive than the PL, but Ligue 1 produces and exports more talent than any other top league in Europe. If anything top performers in ligue 1 often move to England and seldom disappoint therefore we shouldn't really be looking down on ligue 1. Yoro is likely going to walk into our starting 11 in no time after his recovery for instance.

Greenwood's return season on loan with Getafe was successful. He was named their player of the season and was nominated for the La Liga team of the season despite Getafes struggles.

I could see him starting or featuring prominently for clubs like City (Halland is their only CF), Arsenal (he's a better all round player than Havertz and he can do anything that a stand in like Trossard does) or Liverpool (He's a better finisher and is more explosive than Gakpo, Nunez and Jota). He'd easily start for this rejuvenated Chelsea team. He's a better finisher than Jackson and pretty much all their forwards perhaps bar Palmer. Nkunku is always injured

Yes he's a scumbag who rightly will never play for this club again. However I thought this thread is about football.

Garnacho is still greedy and still often makes the wrong decisions in the final third. Just look at the thread marks in a few of his current season performance thread. If he didn't score against Brentford for instance he'd have recieved some overall negative ratings because he spurned a few chances due to his greed and shoot first approach especially in the first half.
It’s not just about football so be aware that if you continue waxing lyrically about the scumbag, that your posts will draw others and it won’t be to say pleasantries

People keep going on about how we missed out on him. Isnt it the other way around? I imagine his net worth would have been doubled or tripled if he still plays for United. Not like he will win trophies there anyway.

People keep going on about how we missed out on him. Isnt it the other way around? I imagine his net worth would have been doubled or tripled if he still plays for United. Not like he will win trophies there anyway.

Both really. He's clearly a great talent and we are worse off for getting rid (regardless of the fact it was the right thing to do). To compound things the Antony signing imo was made to fill the gap left by him.

You rate him far higher than I do. I certainly don't think he's a better player than Havertz (and definitely not for that arsenal side) and also think Jackson starts ahead of him for Chelsea.

Your 'I thought this thread is about football' doesn't wash though. See the first post in the thread. This thread isn't just about football and when people come on swooning over his ability they'll always be reminded about what he's done.

It isn't. You should have done your research.

I'm expressing my opinion that he's shown he still has the ability and talent to play for one of Europe's top sides, despite the contrary view expressed in one of the posts I was responding to
But he hasn't really shown that has he? Perhaps he will, but a purple patch in France does not mean that he can play in Europe's top sides.

He’s not going to be good enough to replace Vicnicius. Higher chance Madrid gets him on a free when his contract ends rather than us getting 100m for him.

I love Garnacho but Greenwood was better.

He would of ended up one of the best players in the world if he'd had his head screwed on.

Might as well just ban discussions on him at this point altogether. If you discuss his performances, any response gets hammered by a million "he's a scumbag" posts (as if this hasn't been discussed for thousands of pages/comments on the Cafe for years now).

Nobody discussed his performances when he didn't score or assist for 4 games though.

Nobody discussed his performances when he didn't score or assist for 4 games though.
Because he plays for Marseille, no one is really going to be watching every 90 on a United forum. Most of the time he’ll be discussed when he does something noteworthy, good or bad, like any other random player in another league.

Expecting different is strange, or you’re just complaining for the sake of it.

Might as well just ban discussions on him at this point altogether. If you discuss his performances, any response gets hammered by a million "he's a scumbag" posts (as if this hasn't been discussed for thousands of pages/comments on the Cafe for years now).
Not sure what you're hoping for here? Do you actually want discussion of him banned or is saying that just a sulky way of smuggling in your objections to people continuing to note what a scumbag he is?

Because he plays for Marseille, no one is really going to be watching every 90 on a United forum. Most of the time he’ll be discussed when he does something noteworthy, good or bad, like any other random player in another league.

I think, that is the national anthem of the thread isn't it.

I don't think it's strange at all to expect some performance discussion after all the moaning by users wanting performance discussion.

Also, he is not just "another random player in another league", and I think you know it. He is a player who's had several threads on here adding up to hundreds of pages and tens of thousands of posts quite recently, but whose performances where he didn't score or assist for several weeks got hardly any posts.