Mason Greenwood, Marseille Footballer | Read the thread rules in the OP before posting

This is such a condescending view.

They are football fans, they support their team supporting someone who was accused of a crime 2 years back and not found guilty anywhere doesnt mean they are dickheads.

This is whats wrong in moral policing and social media age. U want a person to not be able to earn his livelihood based on a accusation from someone who herself took that back apparently and is still maybe happily living with him.
It is not moral policing to object to a woman beater and alleged rapist from representing your club.

And yes. Anyone supporting such a man is absolutely a dickhead.

But ironically the biggest loser of this saga ended up being United.

Greenwood will rehabilitate and rightly so. Marseille will gain, getafe gained.
Depends on how you view loss and gain. I think we’ve had a tremendous gain in terms of reinforcing our values and principles by moving him on, despite his obvious footballing quality. It’s not a tangible, quantifiable benefit, but qualitatively the upside is huge. At least for this fan.

I’ll never look at him and think, “what if…..” we made a different decision, or he didn’t do what he did. The fact is, he did, and we put the victim, the vulnerable people in our organisation, all victims of domestic and sexual violence, and our organisational values first. It’s something I am tremendously proud of, and you should be too. It makes us stronger, not weaker.

We have an entire women’s team and fanbase that would’ve been disenfranchised by any decision to keep him; and that’s not to mention all the decent, morally upstanding men and women that are part of our club, fan base and associated partners. Unfortunately there are always a vocal minority that are happy to push such heinous actions under the carpet if it means having a player that’s highly talented; and indeed for any short term gain. It’s one of the uglier sides of human nature. It’s how so many abusers were able to go unpunished, for so long, in areas like the entertainment industry. And for the record, when I say “unfortunately”, I mean sadly and disgustingly.

Last edited:
This is such a condescending view.

They are football fans, they support their team supporting someone who was accused of a crime 2 years back and not found guilty anywhere doesnt mean they are dickheads.

This is whats wrong in moral policing and social media age. U want a person to not be able to earn his livelihood based on a accusation from someone who herself took that back apparently and is still maybe happily living with him.

No. You’ve got that wrong. Nothing to do with an accusation. My opinion is based on the audio I heard. I cannot tolerate the scumbag who said those things playing for my club. And yes, anyone who cares more about how good he is at kicking a football than that audio is a dickhead. I stand by that.

If United had their way they would have brought Greenwood back.

Richard Arnold isn’t Manchester United, stop talking absolute dramatic bullshit.
It wouldn’t have mattered what Grafton wrote, it couldn’t have remained any secret and the second it was announced the backlash from the fans and other critics would have been even louder, scuppering it from ever happening.

You should probably flip it around if you feel so strongly and say the backlash from supporters forcing such an incredible talent out of the club despite that, is testament to the club and it’s values.

Richard Arnold isn’t Manchester United, stop talking absolute dramatic bullshit.
It wouldn’t have mattered what Grafton wrote, it couldn’t have remained any secret and the second it was announced the backlash from the fans and other critics would have been even louder, scuppering it from ever happening.
Richard Arnold was the Chief Executive Officer of Manchester United. Of course he represents the club and what they're doing. He wasn't going on a solo run on this.

It absolutely is a huge stain on the legacy of the club that they tried to bring Mason Greenwood back.

You should probably flip it around if you feel so strongly and say the backlash from supporters forcing such an incredible talent out of the club despite that, is testament to the club and it’s values.

Don’t forget it was Ten Hag as well. There’s no way Arnold would’ve attempted to bring him back against the explicit wishes of the manager.

Richard Arnold was the Chief Executive Officer of Manchester United. Of course he represents the club and what they're doing. He wasn't going on a solo run on this.

It absolutely is a huge stain on the legacy of the club that they tried to bring Mason Greenwood back.

Or be dramatic as feck if you prefer.

U are a court of law?

So according to you everyone accused of any crime now should be held guilty by lynch mob and neved ever earn livelihood. Good to know should tell all countries parliament.
There is audio and visual evidence of Mason Greenwood's conduct. There is no lynch mob. Every right minded person knows exactly what he is.

Or be dramatic as feck if you prefer.
Absolutely not. The club, in trying to rehabilitate a man such a Mason Greenwood, showed that it has no values.

He is a woman beaten and an alleged rapist. It is not in any way dramatic to have severe reservations about Manchester United as an organization after what they tried to do.

If he continues to bang them in, i could see a PL club going for him and him also playing for England. PSG, Barca and Real (maybe even Bayern) could be in for him, that is why i dont think the PL is as hot as it would be otherwise. He has no reason to return, as top clubs will line up for him (unless super home sick and needs England). For the NT, obviously would need a couple of years to settle down, but i woudlnt be so sure that he wont get called up at some point, especially once Harry is done and England need some goals.
The abuse he would get in England would be horrific. Thats why I don’t think he’ll be back here.

But collectively, it was Arnold and ETH who were the two central figures affecting transfers at United. The Glazers were still busy trying to figure out if Sheikh Jassim was an AI masquerading for the state of Qatar.

Then it’s a stain on the former executives and the exact opposite for the fans, who ARE the club, without them there is no club, whereas Arnold and ETH (who in fairness was likely just trusting the findings of his bosses/Arnold’s internal investigation) are just pawns that have been or will be replaced.

The call it the greatest stain on the club legacy when the clubs fans are probably the main reason he never got to kick a ball for us again is dramatic bullshit.

No, the former executives tried to.

The fans, who ARE the fecking club rallied against it.
Sorry, but that's pure rubbish. The fans don't select the side, control the finances, pay staff, hire groundsmen, employ security. What you're doing is trying to absolve the 'Club' of any wrong doing. It simply doesn't work that way.

The Glazer's and their man, Richard Arnold, controlled the club and made the decisions that shaped the entire organisation. They wanted Greenwood back and made efforts to do that. It's a stain on the image of United.

SOrry that I'm not as smart as you.
I mean I wouldn’t call anyone here stupid but yeah, there’s no equivalence between cheating and domestic violence. Then again who the feck knows what else was happening in 00s, 90s and before, I prefer not to think about it

The abuse he would get in England would be horrific. Thats why I don’t think he’ll be back here.
Yeah I think he and his partners experience in Spain has had a huge impact on where he wants to go in his career. I think they've just made a collective decision not to come back to the UK even if it was with another club.

They've had a taste of the european/mediterrean life and probably want it to stay that way.

Sorry, but that's pure rubbish. The fans don't select the side, control the finances, pay staff, hire groundsmen, employ security. What you're doing is trying to absolve the 'Club' of any wrong doing. It simply doesn't work that way.

The Glazer's and their man, Richard Arnold, controlled the club and made the decisions that shaped the entire organisation. They wanted Greenwood back and made efforts to do that. It's a stain on the image of United.

You’re talking out of your bum mate, the former, now replaced CEO wanted him back after his own internal investigation.
The club has existed for 146 years, Arnold worked as CEO for a mere 2 years. He isn’t the club.

Just as the fans helped prevent Murdoch taking over with BSkyB and had huge backlash over Arnautović, United fans, who are the absolute essence of any club (just ask MK dons where their FA Cup title is), stuck to their principles over their desperation for success.

If you think Arnold is more “the club” than it’s fans, more fool you. He was a shite CEO who had the job for 2 years.

It’s due to those fans that Greenwood never kicked a ball for United again, because had United fans backed Arnold and Greenwood, make no mistake, he’d be playing for us now.

cheating for a decade with your brother's wife is a less version of domestic violence. One case is the spur of moment madness, the other is repeated dickhead acts that last for a decade. Saying there's no equivalence at all is weird.
Yeah I don’t think what Greenwood did was “the spur of moment madness” and I believe she wouldn’t record him if it was an one-off situation, but I really don’t want to debate this or go any further on the topic

You’re talking out of your bum mate, the former, now replaced CEO wanted him back after his own internal investigation.
The club has existed for 146 years, Arnold worked as CEO for a mere 2 years. He isn’t the club.

Just as the fans helped prevent Murdoch taking over with BSkyB and had huge backlash over Arnautović, United fans, who are the absolute essence of any club (just ask MK dons where their FA Cup title is), stuck to their principles over their desperation for success.

If you think Arnold is more “the club” than it’s fans, more fool you. He was a shite CEO who had the job for 2 years.
Richard Arnold and his colleagues drove what the club does. They are the representatives of Manchester United Football Club.

It is one of the great failings of United as an institution that they ever got as far as they did in trying to bring Greenwood back. It's a credit to fans that they've hit back on unpopular decisions. But that doesn't wash away the action then club took to get there. We tried bringing Greenwood back. That's enough to damage United's image as a club.

cheating for a decade with your brother's wife is a less version of domestic violence. One case is the spur of moment madness, the other is repeated dickhead acts that last for a decade. Saying there's no equivalence at all is weird.
What are you on about? There's quite literally no equivalence between having an affair with your brother's wife and (allegedly) attempting to rape and actually beat your girlfriend.

Giggs is a gigantic shit for all sorts of reasons, btw (including his own potential violence towards a partner) but to say that having an affair is in any way comparable with attempting to rape and actually being violent to a partner is nuts.

Completely disagree with this take. It is well and fair to criticize the people involved in attempting to get him back. However, to say that they are the club is equivalent to saying Boris Johnson and his cabinet are England.

How do you think the hundreds of employees at Manchester United who where were opposed to it feel about being lumped in with the ones who wanted to rehabilitate him?

Richard Arnold and his colleagues drove what the club does. They are the representatives of Manchester United Football Club.

It is one of the great failings of United as an institution that they ever got as far as they did in trying to bring Greenwood back. It's a credit to fans that they've hit back on unpopular decisions. But that doesn't wash away the action then club took to get there. We tried bringing Greenwood back. That's enough to damage United's image as a club.

We didn’t try anything.

A CEO appointed by owners that our fans have rallied against for 2 decades did, then he quickly backtracked after massive fan anger.
So rather than the likes of Chelsea with Alonso, our club stuck to it’s principles despite the feelings of a shit CEO.

I reiterate, it’s testament to the entire club that he never kicked a ball for us after the incident, and damning on Arnold’s leadership that he failed in his attempt to go against those wishes/feelings. But even there, the leadership quickly did respond those fans wishes when made evidently clear.

Completely disagree with this take. It is well and fair to criticize the people involved in attempting to get him back. However, to say that they are the club is equivalent to saying Boris Johnson and his cabinet are England.

How do you think the hundreds of employees at Manchester United who where were opposed to it feel about being lumped in with the ones who wanted to rehabilitate him?
It's a credit to the rank and file employees of the club that they did object to Greenwoods return. But they aren't the one who set out the plan. That was the executive committee who, whether you like it or not, are the guiding force of Manchester United.

The Johnson analogy doesn't work as there are too many differences between a football and a democracy. But in basic terms the Tories actually were England for more than a decade.

We didn’t try anything.

A CEO appointed by owners that our fans have rallied against for 2 decades did, then he quickly backtracked after massive fan anger.
So rather than the likes of Chelsea with Alonso, our club stuck to it’s principles despite the feelings of a shit CEO.

I reiterate, it’s testament to the entire club that he never kicked a ball for us after the incident, and damning on Arnold’s leadership that he failed in his attempt to go against those wishes/feelings. But even there, the leadership quickly did respond those fans wishes when made evidently clear.
And that's still utterly irrelevant to the decision, that was made by those who are the gatekeepers of the club, to bring Mason Greenwood back.

You might not like that the Glazer's or Richard Arnold or whoever represents us. But that do or did. They tried making it happen and they disgraced the club. You might not agree, but every time I see Greenwood mentioned I remember that we tried to rehabilitate an animal that beat his girlfriend and allegedly raped her. And that makes me feel ashamed of my club.

And that's still utterly irrelevant to the decision, that was made by those who are the gatekeepers of the club, to bring Mason Greenwood back.

You might not like that the Glazer's or Richard Arnold or whoever represents us. But that do or did. They tried making it happen and they disgraced the club. You might not agree, but every time I see Greenwood mentioned I remember that we tried to rehabilitate an animal that beat his girlfriend and allegedly raped her. And that makes me feel ashamed of my club.

Well remember instead that the fans (without whom there is no club), did you proud and stood up to make their club do the right thing. There’s nothing whatsoever to be ashamed about there, just pride.
Then instead remember that the Glazers are shite, hated and the fans have been trying since even before the takeover to feck them off.

It’s absolutely absurd to me you’d be anything other than proud to be a United fan after how the fan reaction prevented a generational talent from ever kicking a ball for us again.