Mason Greenwood, Marseille Footballer | Read the thread rules in the OP before posting

He was great in his first season. Then he was okay but a real hinderance attacking down the right because he's average as an actual winger taking players on and finding passes. Still scored some goals but half as good as when he first came into the team and every shot he was taking looked like it was going in. And while he scored goals he didnt make any for others.
He had an okayish 2nd season, which is bound to happen as he was 18-19 at that time. During his third season, he was definitely showing signs of significant improvement as a winger/forward when the incident almost derailed his career. His personal issues aside, you cannot simply compare his talents with that of Garnacho, who, though a good talent on his own accord, is yet to show the level that Greenwood did show at the same age.

All other considerations aside, this is absolutely correct. Based on pure talent, and early application of that talent (before he got derailed) Greenwood is the best talent to come out of our academy since CO92. He has absolutely everything to be a world class player, not least his extreme two footedness. You hear of players being two footed but Greenwood is as good on either foot as he is on the other. That’s an absurdly rare talent and makes him almost unplayable when in top form.

If he had continued trajectory, without throwing it all away, I have no doubt he’d be being talked about as the best player in the premier league by now. He was on the cusp of becoming that good First touch, dribbling, game intelligence, shooting off both feet, pace and acceleration, all top class. And he’s one of the best natural finishers I’ve ever seen at his age. He’s also excellent from dead ball situations.

I think losing two years to doing nothing is highly detrimental to his development, so he’s nowhere near where he should be, but it still wouldn’t surprise me to see him be one of the top five forwards in Europe by the time he is 25. That’s if he has a straightforward career progression from here.

Garnacho is a great talent but in terms of weapons and natural ability, he isn’t even close to Greenwood.

My brother is a Liverpool fan (different Dads), and a former professional player in the PL (although given the state of former player punditry on tv maybe this doesn’t mean much - although he has a PhD), and you would have to pull his fingernails to get him to say anything good about United (he has a huge admiration for SAF and has read all his autobiographies and lectures on leadership) - and he couldn’t contain his excitement for Greenwood ever since he broke through. Saying he was the one player he would take from United and he had the potential to be one of the best players in the world. Garnacho is great, but Mason was/is just different fecking gravy.
I feel you. It's simply difficult to fathom how a guy who was on the course of becoming a world class player could do something so horrible to jeopardize everything he had built up till now.

Hope he tears up the league and gets a €60M+ move to a big club. We have a 50% sell-on fee yes? Win-win for all parties at the end of the day.

There's no way we're seeing much of that tbh. They'll work a swap deal into it

He had an okayish 2nd season, which is bound to happen as he was 18-19 at that time. During his third season, he was definitely showing signs of significant improvement as a winger/forward when the incident almost derailed his career. His personal issues aside, you cannot simply compare his talents with that of Garnacho, who, though a good talent on his own accord, is yet to show the level that Greenwood did show at the same age.

He showed it in his first season and was then half the player after that. He was a better forward at 19-20 than Garnacho was but he's a worse forward than Garnacho is now. And just like Sancho, Greenwood may never get back to the same form he showed as a youngster.

He showed it in his first season and was then half the player after that. He was a better forward at 19-20 than Garnacho was but he's a worse forward than Garnacho is now. And just like Sancho, Greenwood may never get back to the same form he showed as a youngster.

That's just simply not true.

Seriously ? Are you suggesting De Zerbi wouldn't jump at the chance to manage Man United ?
I'm saying we had that chance this summer when he was free and missed it. He's just singed for another club now. We would have to pay a lot of money to get him and he also might not want to leave a club he has just signed with.

I'm saying we had that chance this summer when he was free and missed it. He's just singed for another club now. We would have to pay a lot of money to get him and he also might not want to leave a club he has just signed with.
He won well today but to say he's on fire is a bit of a stretch.

Garnacho is great, fantastic work ethic but in terms of talent it's not even close I'm afraid. MG is a generational talent, AG doesn't have the same ceiling.
How do people manage to assess this? I'm genuinely interested how anyone could say with such certainty that Greenwood has a higher ceiling. And I mean in the real world, not the world of Football Manager stats where potential can be given a star rating.

I'll do my best not to reference you know what but, personally, I think the potential of a hard working, skillful kid is much greater than someone who might - in future - get into trouble for another you know what incident and has shown his type of character already.

So much revisionism regarding Martial and Greenwood in a typical Redcafe fashion. I mean, there are now people claiming Garnacho to be a superior talent than Mason, and some others reducing Martial to a one season wonder.
Mason has been the best talent coming out of our Academy in a long, long time. In terms of talent and application, he is at least at par with the best ever talents from English Football in the last 10 years or so. And, he will definitely show it in Marseille.
Let’s not get carried away. Hes now going to have to prove himself all over again after missing 2 years of his development. He may never play international football again or possibly not play for a big team again due to his reputation

How do people manage to assess this? I'm genuinely interested how anyone could say with such certainty that Greenwood has a higher ceiling. And I mean in the real world, not the world of Football Manager stats where potential can be given a star rating.

I'll do my best not to reference you know what but, personally, I think the potential of a hard working, skillful kid is much greater than someone who might - in future - get into trouble for another you know what incident and has shown his type of character already.
Just looking at the fundamentals to their game gives you the answer straight away. Greenwood’s general footballing IQ and intelligence is a level above. Apart from being selfish in front of goal at times, his general play and build up is superior. Garnacho often runs into a blind alley or has a poor first touch or some useless dribble that conceded posession. You hardly get that with greenwood. This can be improved with hard work and experience over time like you alluded to though, to close the gap.

However, beyond that Greenwood has a much better & crisper first touch, more refined & superior dribbling technique, far far better shooting ability and technique once again. Everything he does with the ball is/was just better than Garnacho is currently capable of and it’s seemingly pretty effortless to him.

What’s with the Romano hate for literally posting a quote? It’s not like he ended it with ‘it’s a damn shame he’s been exiled if you ask me’

Just looking at the fundamentals to their game gives you the answer straight away. Greenwood’s general footballing IQ and intelligence is a level above. Apart from being selfish in front of goal at times, his general play and build up is superior. Garnacho often runs into a blind alley or has a poor first touch or some useless dribble that conceded posession. You hardly get that with greenwood. This can be improved with hard work and experience over time like you alluded to though, to close the gap.

However, beyond that Greenwood has a much better & crisper first touch, more refined & superior dribbling technique, far far better shooting ability and technique once again. Everything he does with the ball is/was just better than Garnacho is currently capable of and it’s seemingly pretty effortless to him.
Agree with all that, he's a phenomenal player and the way he strikes a ball in particular is exceptional. He'll score a hat-full in France, he's a level above despite missing 2 years of football, Mbappe scored 27 in 29 last season and i can see Greenwood surpassing that.

Mason was (is?) absolutely among the best young English forwards.

Fletcher was played on the wings because there's less pressure than CM. Besides not having a good RW at the time, I suspect that was part of the reason Mason was played there.

He’s a heck of a footballer and I predict he’ll score 25+ league goals this season in France. And there’ll always be a “what could have been” mind set for me as he was/is a generational talent. But he badly let himself down and a global entity like United rightly couldn’t be associated with it. I’ll watch on from afar with interest how he gets on.

Over-rated. Pops up every now and then with a good finish but doesn’t score enough nor does he offer much else in the way of assists or work rate. Think he would’ve been another Rashford for us if he wasn’t a Cnut, talented at times but not consistent.

He’s a heck of a footballer and I predict he’ll score 25+ league goals this season in France. And there’ll always be a “what could have been” mind set for me as he was/is a generational talent. But he badly let himself down and a global entity like United rightly couldn’t be associated with it. I’ll watch on from afar with interest how he gets on.

25+ in L1 would be crazy good. Excluding Mbappé only Ben Yedder (once) Cavani (x2) and Lacazette (x3) did hit 25 or more in the last 9 seasons.
Not saying he can't do it but maybe more 15G+10A ?

What’s with the Romano hate for literally posting a quote? It’s not like he ended it with ‘it’s a damn shame he’s been exiled if you ask me’

Objective or any sensibe comment is generally not acceptable, must be on either side of the extreme to be allowed, like politics.

Over-rated. Pops up every now and then with a good finish but doesn’t score enough nor does he offer much else in the way of assists or work rate. Think he would’ve been another Rashford for us if he wasn’t a Cnut, talented at times but not consistent.
I’d gladly take Greenwood and would take a half decent performance of his ability than look at Rashford for another season.

25+ in L1 would be crazy good. Excluding Mbappé only Ben Yedder (once) Cavani (x2) and Lacazette (x3) did hit 25 or more in the last 9 seasons.
Not saying he can't do it but maybe more 15G+10A ?
If he gets his head down and just plays football, he’s in their class. Big numbers I know but it wouldn’t shock me.
By the way, have a look at Rashford at 27. It’s a short career!

Because De Zerbi should be managing Utd apparently and he can do no wrong. The love in with him is almost as bad as Poch and now one is then managing a shit team in a farmers league and the other is manager of fecking ‘Merica

Quality control
Hmm, this doesn't get to become a eulogy to the talents of a rapist without the odd reminder of what he is. He's not some sacred cow, not to me anyway. You have made your feelings clear too, so we won't agree.

But really the longer this exchange goes on between us about his character being up for mentioning suits me.
So a player performance thread is now a “eulogy” . I suggest join another forum where you can discuss non footballing matters . Plenty of them around I’m sure.

Hope he kicks on big time so that he gets a big big money move to a big club.

That way we can make money with the sell on clause we inserted.

Why the feck have we still got a thread on this horrible cnut?

Generational talent?

Do you even know what that terms means?

I heard that Greenwood can drink water from the Seine without puking. What's up with that?