Mason Greenwood, Marseille Footballer | Read the thread rules in the OP before posting

5-1 Marseille. De Zerbi has them off to a flying start. Suspect he'll be on the shortlist if ETH doesn't work out.

The goal was well taken. The keeper wrongly guessed near post, Greenwood went wide. Most keepers would've struggled to stop that shot. Second, I don't buy the needless harping on the Garnacho comparison. I think some are simply engaging in sour grapes by shopping for flimsy excuses as to why Greenwood wouldn't have been a good football fit at United, when its obvious the club got rid of him for other reasons.

I agree with the last part. He'd have been a good attacker to have in the squad if he didnt do what he did.

The goalkeeper dived out of the way. Got his body shape completely wrong. He didnt need to gamble on anything it wasnt a penalty. He just needed to be able to adjust and react if the shot went near post. This is basic goalkeeping and he failed it. The shot was powerful and true but a goalkeeper in the right position has a great chance of saving it

5-1 Marseille. De Zerbi has them off to a flying start. Suspect he'll be on the shortlist if ETH doesn't work out.
Well he was already on the shortlist.

United went as far as discussing prospective salary with De Zerbi and Tuchel earlier this summer, so I would guess they'd be close to top of the shortlist if a change is made in the next 12 months.

Last edited:
So much revisionism regarding Martial and Greenwood in a typical Redcafe fashion. I mean, there are now people claiming Garnacho to be a superior talent than Mason, and some others reducing Martial to a one season wonder.
Mason has been the best talent coming out of our Academy in a long, long time. In terms of talent and application, he is at least at par with the best ever talents from English Football in the last 10 years or so. And, he will definitely show it in Marseille.

United went as far as discussing prospective salary with De Zerbi and Tuchel earlier this summer, so I would guess they'd be close to top of the shortlist if a change in made in the next 12 months.

I don't think Tuchel would be given that United met with him, after which both sides decided to not proceed. I suspect it may have been a control issue where Tuchel wanted more comprehensive control over transfers, and the new SJR - DOF flavor of United were obviously not going prepared to do that.

Will be intersting to see if he will be in any England squad in the future.
This isn't me condoning it in any way, the opposite actually, but if he ends up being world class, gets a transfer to a big club, he absolutely will be back in the England set-up in the next few years.

He's not better than mainoo even, though.

Always incredible hard to compare midfield talents to attacking talents - I’m just of the belief that Greenwood had the highest ceiling from any Carrington graduate in decades.

Not that it matters though, since the issue with him was not about talent.

As previously said, it is what is - just gotta take the licks despite it being somewhat annoying.

This isn't me condoning it in any way, the opposite actually, but if he ends up being world class, gets a transfer to a big club, he absolutely will be back in the England set-up in the next few years.

And rightfully so if that happens.

Nothing new. We knew he was a fantastic player and will only get better. Marseille will be a stepping stone.

It is frustrating that Getafe and Marseille will profit handsomely from all this while United get a tiny return on someone who will be a world class player
He was worth nothing before the move to Getafe, anything is better than nothing and the more he performs for Maseille, the better our return will be and we're not lumbered with being associated with a person like that. It's a win-win.

I shouldn't be surprised at the amount of posters in here who are clearly brushing what he did under the carpet, but here we are.

So much revisionism regarding Martial and Greenwood in a typical Redcafe fashion. I mean, there are now people claiming Garnacho to be a superior talent than Mason, and some others reducing Martial to a one season wonder.
Mason has been the best talent coming out of our Academy in a long, long time. In terms of talent and application, he is at least at par with the best ever talents from English Football in the last 10 years or so. And, he will definitely show it in Marseille.
Application? The guy is a grade A plant pot! In no way is he any better than Saka, Bellingham, Foden or TAA - talented players who DID have the application to make the most of their talent.

Also, Martial was pretty bloody terrible. I'd say that 'one season wonder' is putting it generously.

He was great in his first season. Then he was okay but a real hinderance attacking down the right because he's average as an actual winger taking players on and finding passes. Still scored some goals but half as good as when he first came into the team and every shot he was taking looked like it was going in. And while he scored goals he didnt make any for others.

Awful shame that he's such a scrote.

All other considerations aside, this is absolutely correct. Based on pure talent, and early application of that talent (before he got derailed) Greenwood is the best talent to come out of our academy since CO92. He has absolutely everything to be a world class player, not least his extreme two footedness. You hear of players being two footed but Greenwood is as good on either foot as he is on the other. That’s an absurdly rare talent and makes him almost unplayable when in top form.

If he had continued trajectory, without throwing it all away, I have no doubt he’d be being talked about as the best player in the premier league by now. He was on the cusp of becoming that good First touch, dribbling, game intelligence, shooting off both feet, pace and acceleration, all top class. And he’s one of the best natural finishers I’ve ever seen at his age. He’s also excellent from dead ball situations.

I think losing two years to doing nothing is highly detrimental to his development, so he’s nowhere near where he should be, but it still wouldn’t surprise me to see him be one of the top five forwards in Europe by the time he is 25. That’s if he has a straightforward career progression from here.

Garnacho is a great talent but in terms of weapons and natural ability, he isn’t even close to Greenwood.

My brother is a Liverpool fan (different Dads), and a former professional player in the PL (although given the state of former player punditry on tv maybe this doesn’t mean much - although he has a PhD), and you would have to pull his fingernails to get him to say anything good about United (he has a huge admiration for SAF and has read all his autobiographies and lectures on leadership) - and he couldn’t contain his excitement for Greenwood ever since he broke through. Saying he was the one player he would take from United and he had the potential to be one of the best players in the world. Garnacho is great, but Mason was/is just different fecking gravy.

Reality

ee4b744a3498357506b0e8ecf367802e.png

Will score goals because he'll get himself into goalscoring positions and will shoot. Everything else needs work for a wide player

Topic is his performances with Marseille. Nothing else

Hmm, this doesn't get to become a eulogy to the talents of a rapist without the odd reminder of what he is. He's not some sacred cow, not to me anyway. You have made your feelings clear too, so we won't agree.

But really the longer this exchange goes on between us about his character being up for mentioning suits me.

Hmm, this doesn't get to become a eulogy to the talents of a rapist without the odd reminder of what he is. He's not some sacred cow, not to me anyway. You have made your feelings clear too, so we won't agree.

But really the longer this exchange goes on between us about his character being up for mentioning suits me.
Maybe you should leave this thread off so instead of derailing it

No that wouldn't make sense as he'd effectively be worth half as much as what Marseille paid on their books.
Doesn’t matter if it makes sense. It was widely reported by all reliable sources as 50% sell on and even spoken of as we still own 50% of his rights. They paid 26M Euro which is pretty low for a player that by the tone of this thread is the second coming of Messi crossed with Jesus fecking Christ himself. The low price was facilitated by the sell on fee.

Doesn’t matter if it makes sense. It was widely reported by all reliable sources as 50% sell on and even spoken of as we still own 50% of his rights. They paid 26M Euro which is pretty low for a player that by the tone of this thread is the second coming of Messi crossed with Jesus fecking Christ himself. The low price was facilitated by the sell on fee.
Ducker in the Telegraph said 50% of profit. The rest are wrong.

Application? The guy is a grade A plant pot! In no way is he any better than Saka, Bellingham, Foden or TAA - talented players who DID have the application to make the most of their talent.

Also, Martial was pretty bloody terrible. I'd say that 'one season wonder' is putting it generously.
Let us talk once the guy has had some seasons with Di Zerbi under his belt.

Let us talk once the guy has had some seasons with Di Zerbi under his belt.
Fair point, I just don't see how he can be rated so highly until he gets at least a good couple of seasons behind him. The potential is there.

Hope he tears up the league and gets a €60M+ move to a big club. We have a 50% sell-on fee yes? Win-win for all parties at the end of the day.