Marcus Rashford England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Rashford has twice the numbers of Martinelli this calenar year. He has more goal contributions this season than Gordon.

No way you would blame one of these for "not preventing two crosses" after they scored and assisted.
Very odd spin of number to benefit Rashford. They pretty much ended up on the same for the season and Arsenal were a better team with Martinelli than we were. Not in the league he doesn't?

Well it's about their impact on the team. This wouldn't be a problem if he was like Salah in terms of output, but he's more like those I've mentioned - without the workrate.

Replace Dalot with Shaw and this tracking back issue goes away... Nobody was crying about it a couple seasons ago and nothings changed except the output and the partnership

That's not how modern football works, unless of course you want your team to be a midtable mediocrity. Then it's fine.

So you think his defensive contributions are now more important than the attacking ones? Weird... Goodbye

G+A in 45 min, gets substituted for that at the interval without injury. That’s travesty at ETH behalf.

Replace Dalot with Shaw and this tracking back issue goes away... Nobody was crying about it a couple seasons ago and nothings changed except the output and the partnership

That is part of it, but all attackers need to know what they need to do to help a team function.

When you are ceding territory it's absolutely vital that you get support into your midfield and defense. Blocking crosses is a basic.

Sir Alex would have killed Rashford tonight after those two goals. He fecking seethed when his wide players didn't block crosses

I wish I could've just rate his attacking contribution tonight and nothing else.
He was still probably our best outfield player though... but that defending :(

This surely has to be a blatant lie from Ten Hag. Subbing for rotation at half time in a game that's 2-2?

My guess is there was a bust up at half time, Ten Hag has had a go at his defensive play and Rashford has had a go back at him.
This probably is exactly what happened. No doubting that Rashford is a liability defensively, half arsed token gesture defending.

A lot has changed. Rashford has changed. He was a fairly hard-working player for the first half of his career — nothing ground-breaking, but... then Ole decided to build the team around his runs (and Bruno's through-balls) and after a while Rashford stopped defending altogether, regardless of the tactical set up or his role in it.

So you think his defensive contributions are now more important than the attacking ones? Weird... Goodbye
I know, 10 players working as a defensive unit. Ridiculous. Rashford blocking those two crosses - pointless!

Goodbye.

Rightly hooked at half time.

Porto had all the time in the world to pick crosses for the first two goals.

de Ligt’s instinctive reaction as they go in is telling.

What I don't get is that Rashford has stunk the joint out for almost 18 months solid, and his defensive work has always been shit, and Ten Hag has hardly ever taken him off.

Yet in this game, that he desperately needs to avoid defeat to save his job and keep United in the competition, he chooses to take Rashford off after producing probably his best 45 minutes of attacking football in that 18 months!

Yes, his defending was poor but no poorer than it usually is, so why was tonight different?

I'm not saying it was right or wrong to take him off, I'm just questioning the consistency of the manager. I don't get it.

Our only attacker who looks dangerous, scored and created another, came off at half time and with it our entire threat.

Redcafe response: doesn’t defend well enough.
What is wrong with that? He is getting Bruno level of defence now here

If you dont track back and your FB is tucking in to provide midfield support, you are exposed everytime opposition attacks from left side. Martinez was getting dragged to left side throughout the first half. First two goal came from unchallenged cross from left side.

Harsh truth is, his offensive productivity is not good enough to justify his next to no defensive work rate. And along with Bruno, makes us a very bad defensive unit. Both tactics ( Dalot positioning) and Rashford poor workrate was responsible for first 2 goals.

If we have to hide his work rate deficiency then we have to resort back to more defensive 3 in midfield and play Dalot as normal FB. Currently its a suicidal move to have him not track back.

If you dont track back and your FB is tucking in to provide midfield support, you are exposed everytime opposition attacks from left side. Martinez was getting dragged to left side throughout the first half. First two goal came from unchallenged cross from left side.

Harsh truth is, his offensive productivity is not good enough to justify his next to no defensive work rate. And along with Bruno, makes us a very bad defensive unit. Both tactics ( Dalot positioning) and Rashford poor workrate was responsible for first 2 goals.

If we have to hide his work rate deficiency then we have to resort back to more defensive 3 in midfield and play Dalot as normal FB. Currently its a suicidal move to have him not track back.

We played tonnes of games without him last season and looked just as wide open down there, just as we did the second half today, explain that ?

When our defenders do some defending I’ll worry about our forwards doing it.

But the blame for that lies with the manager.

Rashford's defensive limitations isn't something which has only just come about. Dalot is tucking into midfield is by instruction, we know Rashford isn't going to provide the necessary cover required to allow this to work.

We played tonnes of games without him last season and looked just as wide open down there, just as we did the second half today, explain that ?
Yeah but his work rate is worse than our next best option on left wing.

Never said its his fault only. But he isnt blameless as you claimed in your post. He was rightly hooked at half time

What I don't get is that Rashford has stunk the joint out for almost 18 months solid, and his defensive work has always been shit, and Ten Hag has hardly ever taken him off.

Yet in this game, that he desperately needs to avoid defeat to save his job and keep United in the competition, he chooses to take Rashford off after producing probably his best 45 minutes of attacking football in that 18 months!

Yes, his defending was poor but no poorer than it usually is, so why was tonight different?

I'm not saying it was right or wrong to take him off, I'm just questioning the consistency of the manager. I don't get it.
Totally agree with this. Absolutely bizarre

Having one without the other simply isn't good enough.

I don't think any other clubs talk about wingers tracking back as much as we do.
I wouldn't mind but we don't even play traditional wingers where the expectation would be that they track back.

We play a front three and our wide men are wide forwards rather than wingers.

But the blame for that lies with the manager.

Rashford's defensive limitations isn't something which has only just come about. Dalot is tucking into midfield is by instruction, we know Rashford isn't going to provide the necessary cover required to allow this to work.
Yes and thats why either the suicidal tactics need to change or personnel. Taking Rashford off was correct decision.

ETH has to get the best out of best players. And the current tactics do not help any of his wide players.

G+A in 45 min, gets substituted for that at the interval without injury. That’s travesty at ETH behalf.
Mind boggling, and actually confirms what I was thinking, that most of ten Hags subs are about ticking predetermined boxes. Whatever is happening on the pitch is irrelevant.

He does realise that he allowed Rashford to barely defend for a year and a half?

Also Garnacho is barely any improvement and we conceded the 3rd goal and another chance from that very same wing.

One of his better performances in a while attacking wise - weird substitute

Yes he is a liability defensively or pressing etc but he is an attacker and why he gets paid big bucks for goals and assists. You want him running forwards not back.

He has no heart for tracking back and hasn’t really ever, neither did players like Ronaldo Nani berba cantona etc but we played players who would do their running for them.

I do believe thou tonight the sub is nothing to do with resting I believe he was called out for not tracking or working back has argued back and got hooked.

I also believe the weird substituting of the centre backs is a way for eth to cover the lie and say was resting them too.

If ETH is covering up a fall out then fair played to him and about time because too many fall outs lately have been made public and shouldn’t be.

One of his better performances in a while attacking wise - weird substitute

Yes he is a liability defensively or pressing etc but he is an attacker and why he gets paid big bucks for goals and assists. You want him running forwards not back.

He has no heart for tracking back and hasn’t really ever, neither did players like Ronaldo Nani berba cantona etc but we played players who would do their running for them.

I do believe thou tonight the sub is nothing to do with resting I believe he was called out for not tracking or working back has argued back and got hooked.

I also believe the weird substituting of the centre backs is a way for eth to cover the lie and say was resting them too.

If ETH is covering up a fall out then fair played to him and about time because too many fall outs lately have been made public and shouldn’t be.

Let’s wait and see if he starts Sunday shall we before we start making up stories in our heads? If he starts left and Garnacho right, I assume we can agree that Erik’s (bizarre) explanation is accurate?

Mind boggling, and actually confirms what I was thinking, that most of ten Hags subs are about ticking predetermined boxes. Whatever is happening on the pitch is irrelevant.

Playing devil’s advocate, we have 8 Europa matches and a lot of them look very straightforward (although I’m sure we will make hard work of them). We should go through easily enough regardless of the result today. Conversely, Sunday is absolutely massive - Ten Hag must know he’s probably gone if he loses that one and any hope of top 4 would start to look completely forlorn. I can see why he’d regard that as a lot more important.

Let’s wait and see if he starts Sunday shall we before we start making up stories in our heads? If he starts left and Garnacho right, I assume we can agree that Erik’s (bizarre) explanation is accurate?
You are 100%

Hopefully last thing we need is more dressing room shite

Playing devil’s advocate, we have 8 Europa matches and a lot of them look very straightforward (although I’m sure we will make hard work of them). We should go through easily enough regardless of the result today. Conversely, Sunday is absolutely massive - Ten Hag must know he’s probably gone if he loses that one and any hope of top 4 would start to look completely forlorn. I can see why he’d regard that as a lot more important.
Ok, but I suppose the rub is that Rashford has been shite for 18 months (happened to have a decent half today), so wrapping him in cotton wool for a crucial game makes about as much sense as packing a chocolate tea pot for a trek across the Sahara.

I don't think any other clubs talk about wingers tracking back as much as we do.
Here's Henry talking to Saka at the 1:12 mark about him and the other Arsenal attackers tracking back the other day after they beat PSG:

Players far more superior to Rashford on the ball are putting in a lot more effort off of it as well. It's only natural for us fans to question why this is the case.

My thoughts exactly - I’ve been dying for ETH to grow a set and hold Rashford accountable, but why pick tonight, when at least Rashford was looking dangerous on the offensive side of things?

Was good today but the manager was too concerned about ‘rotation’. Yet a certain player plays every minute

Was good today but the manager was too concerned about ‘rotation’. Yet a certain player plays every minute
He was not very good in attack and was pathetic defensively, so "was good" is very generous. He was better than the rest of the squad's horrible performance, mostly because Porto's goalkeeper decided to gift us two goals which Rashford participated in. If their goalkeeper was half-decent, we would have been thrashed from the beginning and Rashford would still be one of the bad players, just like he's been all along

He was not very good in attack and was pathetic defensively, so "was good" is very generous. He was better than the rest of the squad's horrible performance, mostly because Porto's goalkeeper decided to gift us two goals which Rashford participated in. If their goalkeeper was half-decent, we would have been thrashed from the beginning and Rashford would still be one of the bad players, just like he's been all along
He definitely was very good in attack today. He fecking scored, assisted and had several other good plays where we looked dangerous or created chances.

Honestly, the critisim here after this game is just not correct. Yes, he did not block these two crosses, we all now defensive parts of the game are a weakness of his, but we still have defenders who could do their Job and defend these situations. Nobody would mention them now.

He even was fairly hardworking yesterday througtough the first half. So let's hope he can keep this form and momentum up for the Villa away trip.

No one does.

I want Rashford sold and all that but his substitution last night was another one of these weird *********** moments Ten Hag delivers on a regular basis. It was not beneficial to us, it made us worse.

Last edited:
Seems to have a good understanding with Hojlund. And for whatever reason refuses to track back.

We should try him in a 4-4-2 diamond with him and Hojlund up top.

Would make us more solid in the middle while wouldn't expose our flanks as much.

Have Ugarte sit at the base of the pivot.

Have Casemiro, Mainoo or Mount as the 2 number 8s.

And have Eriksen, Zirkzee or Bruno as the No.10.

Would be interesting to see what a formation of this caliber would be able to do.