Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
For me, it always comes down to the same thing, that the team hasn't progressed.
No matter all the points I go over in my head, I always come back to this point. I still don't have any idea what style of football ETH wants, United haven't gone anywhere.

It's like when you build with Lego, you put a few pieces together, then decide you want a long bit, search through the bucket, find it, push it in and then realise its not the right bit. You then try several other bits before you realise your original build is shit because you didn't really have a clue to begin with.

Just when I think ETH has found a starting 11, he changes it for the next game, for no fekin reason whatsoever. Players on a roll, building up confidence are then dropped for the next match and you're just left scratching your head.

This has been going on for 3 years now. Its got to the point where if I miss a game I'm not that fussed anymore because I've invested far too much precious time in the past and I'm not prepared to do it on this guy anymore.

Erik ten Hag says he totally ignores the 3-0 defeat to Tottenham because of the Bruno Fernandes red card and fact it was overturned. "I deny and ignore that Spurs game because the red card was overturned.”

Kids, this is how you treat your job like playing a video game. When things don't go your way, just rage quit and pretend it never happened
I think I actually hate him. Try that telling that to anyone who paid to watch the game you mug.

Last edited:
We are a joke to them just like they used to be a joke to us for...how many years?

Cycles...

(Well, it's not actually the same thing - because when we laughed at them we were the best team in England, whereas they laugh at us from a slightly less superior height...but it's basically the same thing.)
We never managed to score 7 goals against them in one game though unfortunately.

Those comments about the Tottenham game
Come on Erik, have some dignity!
During that game I pointed out he was lucky with the red card because we were easily second best before and would have gone on to lose anyway but now he and his fans will be able to blame it on Bruno/referee.

To their credit, instead of doing that his few remaining fans just went into hiding after that game and made little to no excuses. He didn’t comment immediately but he brought it up eventually, in a manner that was probably more embarrassing that anything he had said up until now. The man is a walking excuse. Never his fault. Difference is last season fans were largely buying it, this year not so much (though one of my mates had recently been rambling how we once again we are going through historical injury crisis).

Is this really a sustainable way of running an institution? Especially so when the mission statement is/was to return us to the top of the game?

Just "a wish and a prayer" our way through the season(s)? Is this the INEOS plan?

What the feck
Funny thing is he might actually be able to do that. EL is quite poorly stacked this year so he could easily get to QF or farther, likewise League Cup where with a good draw we could go through the next two rounds and be playing semifinals in January. There’s zero chance they are sacking him at the end of season if he gets us far in either competition, or dare I say into final/win it.

Funny thing is he might actually be able to do that. EL is quite poorly stacked this year so he could easily get to QF or farther, likewise League Cup where with a good draw we could go through the next two rounds and be playing semifinals in January. There’s zero chance they are sacking him at the end of season if he gets us far in either competition, or dare I say into final/win it.
He got a bit of luck today with Villa and Brighton dropping points.

But if he doesn't beat West Ham, he's in trouble. He'd be 13th/14th after 9 games with a negative GD.

Only Palace and Southampton have scored less goals than United this season.

I'm over this whole ten Hag thing now. I'm content with most people accepting that he should have been sacked at least twice by now in 2024. The days when people bent over backwards to defend him were nauseating. Imagine defending a human being with the morals of ten Hag. Not only is the football shit, he's a shitty person. Most people have woken up. Even on Reddit.

Don't managers have some sort of system around them to help prepare them for journalists?
I am starting to get Stockholm Syndrome. From sympathy to loathe into pity. I think that his grasp of the language makes him very quotable these days, and that he probably did not mean to phrase things like he does.
Denying the Tottenham game? (Probably means he wants to/tries to forget it and wants the players to do the same).
Saying that "we won" the previous seasons? Just lacked one word "we won something".

Don't managers have some sort of system around them to help prepare them for journalists?
I am starting to get Stockholm Syndrome. From sympathy to loathe into pity. I think that his grasp of the language makes him very quotable these days, and that he probably did not mean to phrase things like he does.
Denying the Tottenham game? (Probably means he wants to/tries to forget it and wants the players to do the same).
Saying that "we won" the previous seasons? Just lacked one word "we won something".
He was hired as United manager in April 2022. That's more than enough time to work on his English.

He genuinely perceived last season as success. So did the club. We have to learn to live it as fans.

I mean it's kinda obvious neither him nor the club viewed last season as a disaster. Doesn't make it a success, but point somewhat stands
He did say 'success' though and that's clearly not true. I mean, the club sought to replace Ten Hag.

Discussions in this thread would be a lot more sane with less exaggeration and sarcasm.

I mean it's kinda obvious neither him nor the club viewed last season as a disaster. Doesn't make it a success, but point somewhat stands
His point was it was viewed as a success. That doesn't stand. Last season was not acceptable but they are willing to give the manager more time.

Hes constantly painted a different narrative claiming that Ten Hag has the whole season irrespective of form and that the club viewed last season as a success. It's just not true and he knows it. I don't know why he keeps making things up, it's tiresome.

His point was it was viewed as a success. That doesn't stand. Last season was not acceptable but they are willing to give the manager more time.

Hes constantly painted a different narrative claiming that Ten Hag has the whole season irrespective of form and that the club viewed last season as a success. It's just not true and he knows it. I don't know why he keeps making things up, it's tiresome.
If the club did not view last season as broadly acceptable but with some need to improve, why is Ten Hag still here? He is not some proven top level winner who has mysteriously failed to excel so far at United. His pre-United record is irrelevant as he’s essentially been promoted from go karting to Formula 1. Maybe a cup win, top 8 finish and competing until the last game in a group of death including Copenhagen and Galatasaray is the new par. Apologies for the bitter cynicism but I really do not understand what is going on in the minds of United’s decision makers at the moment.

If the club did not view last season as broadly acceptable but with some need to improve, why is Ten Hag still here? He is not some proven top level winner who has mysteriously failed to excel so far at United. His pre-United record is irrelevant as he’s essentially been promoted from go karting to Formula 1. Maybe a cup win, top 8 finish and competing until the last game in a group of death including Copenhagen and Galatasaray is the new par. Apologies for the bitter cynicism but I really do not understand what is going on in the minds of United’s decision makers at the moment.
You are not alone.

It's been briefed many times to the likes of Athletic or Melissa Reddy. They felt that every manager of pedigree struggled and the club was run really badly. They wanted to give the current coach a fair crack under their structure.

It's been briefed many times to the likes of Athletic or Melissa Reddy. They felt that every manager of pedigree struggled and the club was run really badly. They wanted to give the current coach a fair crack under their structure.
I know that but it is not a satisfactory explanation. If a manager (in his 50s), with no prior track record at top level European football, looks hopelessly out of his depth, why give him the benefit of the doubt by blaming the “structure” instead of arriving at the more logical (and now indisputably correct) conclusion that he is just not good enough at this level?

The ire and frustration are completely understandable, but forgetting where you are is not on. We’re receiving complaints towards the language and I get it. You don’t want youngsters etc. absorbing that kind of toxicity.

I think there’s quite a difference between ETH is a *** to flagrantly using expletives or expletive laden posts.

To be fair, these are extremely trying times and it’s not like the FF is overflowing with this stuff, but ETH himself has a very toxic reserve as he is seen as the epicentre of our troubles, but it can’t be that way on a public forum open to all ages.
So is swearing banned then? I thought the f and c word were automatically altered.
I don't mind saying dont just call someone a c**t but let's not sterilise the forum too much.

3k votes out of a fanbase of potential billions, it’s damning locally but on a grand scale it’s miniscule.
As far as sample sizes go, I think it's a good directional view. Maybe if you did a million and the percent goes to 70, it's still obvious what needs to happen. My point is, with a greater sample and a lower percentage, the out crowd is unlikely to fall below 70%.

It's funny because the previous structure picked him. So if the previous structure are responsible for all of the bad decisions at the club then...

I know, Captain Hindsight and all that. But we're all staring at the same reality, we know it's bad, and yet the new guys are looking at this like the dog in a burning kitchen meme.

They spent about 2 months looking into replacing him which shows they clearly didn’t view it as a success and they can’t have been particularly impressed with ETH and his plans going forward. The fact they spent so long implies that there is a good chance there were one or two candidates they pursued with some intent which again underlines that point.

Why do you make things up?
Did I? These are literally his words which I am only relaying here:

“Sometimes it goes up, sometimes it goes down but I'm sure we will make it a success as we did the last two seasons.”

He definitely perceived last season as success then. As for the club, well I don’t think we would trigger his extension a year early if we weren’t happy with that. There was literally zero reason to trigger than extension, none whatsoever.

Last edited:

I do indeed think ten Hag is not going to be fired this season regardless of results, that’s true. I would love to be wrong because I genuinely hate the idea of going through another full season with him but everything I have seen so far, and what he has been extremely confident about too, is that he has their full support.

I did think the same last season though and also hoped I would be wrong but I wasn’t. I think his best skill is being able to manage our board in a very clever way, and that they totally buy into his long term talk. I really hope I am wrong.

Based on what we have seen so far this season we are not really going to have a significantly better year this time so we will see at the end of year how acceptable it is.

Last edited:
I've always suppported the manager as long as possible, really until the inevitable, we haven't reached that point yet, but I already want him gone.
I'm tired of his bluffing, his process and him saying "the process is working" when all around him can see it's not, two wins and two draws in the league out of six games is not improvement, it's worse than last season, we can all see that.
We are only still in Europe because of the change in format.
He sold a left-back, refused to use an emergency loan left-back and let him go, even though the other two left-backs have been injured for most of the season. So, what does he do next? He sells a right-back, moves their Player of the Season right-back to left-back, signs a new right-back, and then plays that new right-back in the No. 10 role.

I'm done with him, thanks to him I no longer look forward to games any games, I dont find the team a pleasure watch, I don;t see a team capable of winning, instead I see a tam that struggles to bea teams we should be coasting past, and some of the worst is yet to come, we still have to face City, Arsenal and Chelsea, you can only look at those games and think that is nine points lost.

My loyalty is with the club, and the team, but my loyalty to him and the faith I had for him to lead us back to winning ways has gone, even if by some miracle he won the league this year, my faith in him as coach would not be restored.

They spent about 2 months looking into replacing him which shows they clearly didn’t view it as a success and they can’t have been particularly impressed with ETH and his plans going forward. The fact they spent so long implies that there is a good chance there were one or two candidates they pursued with some intent which again underlines that point.
True but they didn't replace him which means they didn't see any value in the market suitable for their structure beyond what they have.

Did I? These are literally his words which I am only relaying here:

“Sometimes it goes up, sometimes it goes down but I'm sure we will make it a success as we did the last two seasons.”

He definitely perceived last season as success then. As for the club, well I don’t think we would trigger his extension a year early if we weren’t happy with that. There was literally zero reason to trigger than extension, none whatsoever.
And you threw the club into that too. I'd also not take managers press conferences at face value. He isn't happy with finishing 8th, that's obvious.

I do indeed think ten Hag is not going to be fired this season regardless of results, that’s true. I would love to be wrong because I genuinely hate the idea of going through another full season with him but everything I have seen so far, and what he has been extremely confident about too, is that he has their full support.

I did think the same last season though and also hoped I would be wrong but I wasn’t. I think his best skill is being able to manage our board in a very clever way, and that they totally buy into his long term talk. I really hope I am wrong.
You may think that, but you can't claim that the club viewed the last season as a success. That's quite untrue.

True but they didn't replace him which means they didn't see any value in the market suitable for their structure beyond what they have.

And you threw the club into that too. I'd also not take managers press conferences at face value. He isn't happy with finishing 8th, that's obvious.

You may think that, but you can't claim that the club viewed the last season as a success. That's quite untrue.
Let’s agree to disagree. In my view if they were not happy with last season and still triggered an extension that’s costing us £10m, that’s a bit stupid.

Let’s agree to disagree. In my view if they were not happy with last season and still triggered an extension that’s costing us £10m, that’s a bit stupid.
You can say it's stupid, but their view was to give him a go. That doesn't mean they thought he was a success last season. The fact that they actively looked for a replacement is proof of this

You can say it's stupid, but their view was to give him a go. That doesn't mean they thought he was a success last season. The fact that they actively looked for a replacement is proof of this
I think being new owners they wanted to see what is out there but ultimately they found him better than anyone else.

It's funny because the previous structure picked him. So if the previous structure are responsible for all of the bad decisions at the club then...

I know, Captain Hindsight and all that. But we're all staring at the same reality, we know it's bad, and yet the new guys are looking at this like the dog in a burning kitchen meme.
Ten Hag was almost unanimously seen as hot property at the time. It may well be that they thought it was one of the few things the previous regime did right. But who knows. All we know for sure is they've punted on him into this year but he doesn't have unlimited patience.

I think being new owners they wanted to see what is out there but ultimately they found him better than anyone else.
Right but they have no reason to do that, unless they doubted him in the first place?

They had to "give him a go" because all their prospects turned the job down, what was once the most wanted job in world football has been turned into a joked because of a series of poor decisons by the previous structure, namely the Glazers, and relying on Ferguson to name "the chosen one" and him picking a coach firmly entrenched in the seventies as far as coaching goes.