Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have nothing off of which to base it except intuition. They’re seeing 3 straight draws in Europa and us languishing in the bottom half of the table. The reports of sounding out other managers have been picking up pace this week. Just seems to me things are reaching critical mass.
I don’t agree but fair enough

flick doesn’t come in and make us brilliant again at any point during the last 2.5 years. there’s been a load of shite in the team. man for man, we’re nowhere near this barcelona side. the real black mark against ten hag is that he’s spent a shit load, we’ve jettisoned pretty much everyone he’s asked us to, yet we’re still shit.

The expectation wouldn't be to make us brilliant though.

Barcelona are obviously a much bigger club than us - their ceiling is much higher than we can ever dream to achieve, but with our resources you'd hope that a manager could make us into a top 4 team relatively easily and then also keep us there. Emery did it with Villa with a worse starting point and less resources.

flick doesn’t come in and make us brilliant again at any point during the last 2.5 years. there’s been a load of shite in the team. man for man, we’re nowhere near this barcelona side. the real black mark against ten hag is that he’s spent a shit load, we’ve jettisoned pretty much everyone he’s asked us to, yet we’re still shit.
Correct.

Imagine how much better Villa and Newcastle would be had they been given the same money to spend.

Emery had to sell Douglas Luiz to help fund the likes of Onana and Maatsen.

Newcastle barely spent anything this summer. If anything, they had to weaken their squad by selling Elliot Anderson and Minteh. Osula was their only major outfield signing.

With the exception of selling McTominay, ten Hag has been allowed to keep his squad together each year while adding hundreds of million worth of signings to it each summer.

So is swearing banned then? I thought the f and c word were automatically altered.
I don't mind saying dont just call someone a c**t but let's not sterilise the forum too much.
It's not, but discussions the last few weeks have become increasingly aggressive in terms of their wording towards Ten Hag and United's management. It has a polluting effect on the forum and probably contributes towards more harshness towards each other as well. Surely it isn't so hard to express your disappointment or disagreement or disgust or whatever without using words like 'cnut' and its many equivalents.

Do any other clubs have these weird fans that make so many excuses for their manager for performances on the pitch for stuff happening off it?

We'd find it hilarious if it was one of our rivals (well former rivals before Ten Hag dragged us to mid table) and they were blaming a change in CEO etc.
The people defending him are rival fans, I am 100% sure of it.

So can we never hear it's a process again. Can we never hear it's a 3-year plan again? Can we never hear it's a rebuild that takes years, again.
Flick came in, and in 3 months has done what Hag can't do in 3 years and 600m spent.
All we need is good manager to make our team world class again now, not in 5 years . Enough of this United way crap.
Sack ETH asap
It’s pretty much never a long process when you hire a genuinely good manager. Maybe one transition year in which he adapts to the league / squad, but with our resources this is the maximum it will take to get us close to the top.

Our man is over the moon because he managed to get 2 points away to Porto and Fernebahce.
Liverpool got 6 points away to Leipzig and Milan.
That's how much of loser he is.
Gone 1 year without a win in Europe.

But hey, at least we held the mighty Porto and Mourinho’s Fenerbahce to a draw!

Am I missing the joke somewhere? I don't think I've ever read a serious rimpost.

I mean look at their entire spine today... Fermin Lopez, mark casado, pau cubarsi, Inigo Martinez, and 36 year old Lewandowski up top. That team out there on paper is nowhere close to what Real Madrid put out, but he has them playing in a way that just works for them so any of their players can slot in and it's fine.

I mean look at their entire spine today... Fermin Lopez, mark casado, pau cubarsi, Inigo Martinez, and 36 year old Lewandowski up top. That team out there on paper is nowhere close to what Real Madrid put out, but he has them playing in a way that just works for them so any of their players can slot in and it's fine.
Yeah last season the perception of this Barca team was that they are their worst team in a long time and it will take them years to catch up on Real if anything.

Am I missing the joke somewhere? I don't think I've ever read a serious rimpost.
I've seen quite a lot. The worse we've become, the more common they've been!

There's also been quite a lot in regards to England, but those posts probably pass over those who aren't following the national team.

Yeah, right.. Give Hag that Barcelona squad and see how shit they become. Imagine giving Hag a €-19m summer transfer budget, because that's how much Flick got.

Yeah last season the perception of this Barca team was that they are their worst team in a long time and it will take them years to catch up on Real if anything.
Precisely. One really good coach and now that same spine is a part of the current best in form team in the world. That’s all it takes.

I've seen it suggested a few times elsewhere now and I think I agree...we've never really recovered from that 7-0 against Liverpool.

Yeah we had some league consistency until then, well after recovering from those early defeats to Brighton and Brentford leading to Casemiro SOS.

Barca have a better footballing structure than us. Flick isn’t going to perform miracles here either unless INEOS show they can actually add value in running a football club.

Maybe we just aren’t that good any more?
Not good enough to dominate the majority of games against bottom-half teams? Possible.

I mean, there is also this theory that the manager is truly amazing, but his instructions are too complicated for our simpleton players to understand.

Gone 1 year without a win in Europe.

But hey, at least we held the mighty Porto and Mourinho’s Fenerbahce to a draw!

What do you expect him to achieve with the likes of Antony, Malacia, Martinez, 2 Bayern rejects....anyway the squad he made us pay hundreds of millions for?

Do any other clubs have these weird fans that make so many excuses for their manager for performances on the pitch for stuff happening off it?

We'd find it hilarious if it was one of our rivals (well former rivals before Ten Hag dragged us to mid table) and they were blaming a change in CEO etc.
It's like swapping shirts at half time because the players can't see each other on the pitch........................Oh wait a minute we did that as well didn't we?

I don't follow the German press, why would I, I'm in England.
I can only go by what was reported by several sources in the UK press and on Sky.
Whichever way you look at it, and depending on the stance you take, it is true that he was offered the job and turned down the terms offered by United.

Personally I have it on good authroity that two others were tentatively approached about the postion should it become vacant, both refused to even disuss it with the club.
It is also true that Tuchel was very interested in our job and we didn't want to move things around to accommodate his needs.

It is also true that not every manager we spoke to turned us down.

You are painting a completely false narrative that we couldn't pick up a coach in the summer because no one was interested or that it wasnt possible to pick a top one up.

Truth is we took a look and decided to go with what we have. If we really wanted Tuchel, we'd have given in to his demands and got him in. We chose not to and we've decided to give ten hag a go. But that doesn't mean we have infinite patience - our hunting in the summer suggests quite the opposite.

I read this somewhere and it's so accurate, but also so fecking sad.

ETHs plan A failed, as in the way he actually wanted us to play, so now he has to resort to plan B or even plan C at times, just to keep his job! It's not even about progression, it's about survival. And INEOS and everyone in charge are seemingly accepting this!? Why? How? It's maddening and so plain to see for everyone. That's one of the biggest reasons why I (and probably so many others) want him gone already.

Not good enough to dominate the majority of games against bottom-half teams? Possible.

I mean, there is also this theory that the manager is truly amazing, but his instructions are too complicated for our simpleton players to understand.
I’ve heard this, and I don’t get it. If there is any truth to it, it is a real indictment of our players. I have a hard time believing it, but there again McCarthy said Erik is tactically excellent, and other have said the same so there is a disconnect somewhere. Such a weird situation.

Nothing to do with substandard, inexperienced, past it or just plain lazy players. Yes mate, it’s the fans.

I love a good old moan about players myself. While I do have issues with some of them :cough: shaw :cough: I struggle to justify this mess on players

A- ETH changed most of the squad. We might as well start talking dutch at this point

B- we spent 70m on hojlund, 40m on zirkzee, 70m on Antony and yet ...we still rely on Rashy for goals. We brought ajax defence yet our best CB is an ancient Jonny evans. Tyrion Martinez can beat an aerial duel even if his life depended on it. These modern pressing players with the his exciting dutch maestro can't score or create

I read this somewhere and it's so accurate, but also so fecking sad.

ETHs plan A failed, as in the way he actually wanted us to play, so now he has to resort to plan B or even plan C at times, just to keep his job! It's not even about progression, it's about survival. And INEOS and everyone in charge are seemingly accepting this!? Why? How? It's maddening and so plain to see for everyone. That's one of the biggest reasons why I (and probably so many others) want him gone already.
I mentioned in the game thread that we are playing to save his job each game. There's no progression just EtH's survival on a game by game basis. It's a sham.