Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
afNhfzS_d.webp
A Liverpool fans opinion on Ten Hag… we are a joke club for keeping him this long.
fecking hell. I hate how much joy we provide for opposition fans.

I would love to see what a decent new manager can get out of this squad.

Ten Hag has me convinced that we haven't got the players to score anything like enough goals, the midfield is not mobile or creative enough, the defense is just ok, and Bruno is regressing at an alarming rate.

Not sure what a new manager would get from these players tbh, because it's very hard to gauge what alot of them are capable of anymore.

I would love to see what a decent new manager can get out of this squad.

Ten Hag has me convinced that we haven't got the players to score anything like enough goals, the midfield is not mobile or creative enough, the defense is just ok, and Bruno is regressing at an alarming rate.

Not sure what a new manager would get from these players tbh, because it's very hard to gauge what alot of them are capable of anymore.

I think just getting the ball and team up the pitch more and quicker would make a massive difference. Basic stuff.

We're such a weird team. We massively overplay at the back with very slow, regressive passing, then all of a sudden, hoof, it goes long.

ETH Just isn't interested in anything happening around the halfway line. Just very strange.

You’ve made some posts with oddly realistic sentences last couple of days, but thinking we’ve got 2-3 years of Ten Hag is just bollocks, that even you doing your glass half empty gimmick can’t actually believe.
Yeah everyone thought I was insane last season when I was saying he’s going to get this season. Let’s see. I would love to be wrong.

You’ve made some posts with oddly realistic sentences last couple of days, but thinking we’ve got 2-3 years of Ten Hag is just bollocks, that even you doing your glass half empty gimmick can’t actually believe.
He went full wum. Never go full wum.

Considering we’ve won more trophies than every PL opposition bar city since Hag has taken over I think we have the last laugh.
We’ve already been over this. Those trophies mean nothing. Ole was a better manager with his zero trophies.

Considering we’ve won more trophies than every PL opposition bar city since Hag has taken over I think we have the last laugh.
Oh yeah it's hysterical... those trophies don't count for shit if we can't progress in the correct way after winning them.

He's a dead man walking for a while. Club is keeping him to transition for a year and cutting ties. You can't really have a manager with 1 year left in the contract, he won't be focused on his job and look elsewhere. I'd have argued he doesn't even care with this "lifeline" extension they gave him. Both sides know it's a temporary thing.

They've hedged their bets on his performance by hiring 2 over qualified assistants to replace him mid season of he performs catastrophically.

afNhfzS_d.webp
A Liverpool fans opinion on Ten Hag… we are a joke club for keeping him this long.

We are a joke to them just like they used to be a joke to us for...how many years?

Cycles...

(Well, it's not actually the same thing - because when we laughed at them we were the best team in England, whereas they laugh at us from a slightly less superior height...but it's basically the same thing.)

Oh yeah it's hysterical... those trophies don't count for shit if we can't progress in the correct way after winning them.
That's why some keep thinking they have a potential SAF on our hands. Big Ron got sacked even though he won a couple of F.A.Cup because we didn't progress from that either in the league or Europe. SAF did, he built on that first trophy win. We are winning cups but going backwards instead of forwards in the league and Europe. What is the point of Europe if you are rubbish when you get there.

That's why some keep thinking they have a potential SAF on our hands. Big Ron got sacked even though he won a couple of F.A.Cup because we didn't progress from that either in the league or Europe. SAF did, he built on that first trophy win. We are winning cups but going backwards instead of forwards in the league and Europe. What is the point of Europe if you are rubbish when you get there.
Not that I am comparing the two but since you brought SAF up, he didn't build linearly. I think he did well initially and then did quite badly two or three seasons in, before then winning an FA cup to save his skin and springboard from there.

People can talk about systems, tactics and selections but for me the most basic failing is one of motivation.

We all saw how the team played when they were riled up by what they felt was injustice in the second half against Brentford. The manager should be able to motivate the players to play with that intensity every week and he's just not able to do that for whatever reason.

The manager should be able to motivate the players to play with that intensity every week and he's just not able to do that for whatever reason.

Yeah, this (among dozens of other things).

I think the question here and now is this:

What has he done (from a fan perspective) to make anyone think he should be kept on at this point?

And if you will, you can add this:

What has he possibly done (behind the scenes, things we don't know about as fans) to make anyone think the same?

A very good list, but I would swap out Maguire for Fellaini, who was nothing more than a fouling machine. But in his defense he had the greatest chest control of any footballer I’ve ever seen.
He scored enough crucial goals that it made it tough for me. Stupid purchase but sadly was pretty useful in a niche role here. But certainly can be put on the list.

Not that I am comparing the two but since you brought SAF up, he didn't build linearly. I think he did well initially and then did quite badly two or three seasons in, before then winning an FA cup to save his skin and springboard from there.
Eerie similarities to ten Hag, only Erik was able to produce FA Cup earlier into his career. It saved his job and what happens now we’ve seen before with Fergie.

I think we're all very excited to see how Ten Hag will get us purring next season when we have another couple of ex-Eredivise signings and Luke Shaw and Mount are fully fit.

He's a dead man walking for a while. Club is keeping him to transition for a year and cutting ties. You can't really have a manager with 1 year left in the contract, he won't be focused on his job and look elsewhere. I'd have argued he doesn't even care with this "lifeline" extension they gave him. Both sides know it's a temporary thing.

They've hedged their bets on his performance by hiring 2 over qualified assistants to replace him mid season of he performs catastrophically.

Just another way of saying they're flushing another season down the toilet, because they were incompetent and clueless. Even if they do replace him mid season it'll likely be far too late to save our season.

He should have walked in the summer, I mean the club were interviewing replacements openly. And I think he's eventually realized he isn't turning this around and he's out of his depth.
He must realize the impossibility of his position; no-one can be that deluded. I wonder if he feels he boxed himself in a corner with his rhetoric and now has no choice but to continue.

Like, he wasn't so defensive until some time in the second half of last season, when he suddenly started pushing back against all the narratives around him and the club, even a little aggressively. I wonder if he realized he was about to get sacked and wanted to preserve his standing for a possible next job. Or maybe management told him to stop being a walkover.

Either way, he's continued that stance consistently since then - and so I wonder if he feels like he can't back down now and has to keep pretending that always only outside factors are to blame for the poor performances.

Of course, he could also just be that stupid and truly believe what he's saying. But I think few people really are and so I think there's something else behind his stance.

Last edited:
Do you have some examples for quite often?

Zidane, Keegan, Dalglish, Klopp, Guardiola, Conte, Bielsa, Van Gaal and Zola off the top of my head I'm sure there was a thread on here listing loads of managers who've resigned.

This is reaching a tipping point where his reputation is being damaged on a global scale; the rumoured £10m-£17m pay off may well be his cover for not getting another gig of any standing again. There’s no chance in hell he walks away from that.

Not now no, but he could have walked away in the summer after winning a Cup and blaming the league finish on injuries and probably got another decent job somewhere right away.

He must realize the impossibility of his position; no-one can be that deluded. I wonder if he feels he boxed himself in a corner with his rhetoric and now has no choice but to continue.

Like, he wasn't so defensive until some time in the second half of last season, when he suddenly started pushing back against all the narratives around him and the club, even a little aggressively. I wonder if he realized he was about to get sacked and wanted to preserve his standing for a possible next job. Or maybe management told him to stop being a walkover.

Either way, he's continued that stance consistently since then - and so I wonder if he feels like he can't back down now and has to keep pretending always only outside factors are too blame for the poor performances.

Of course, he could also just be that stupid and truly believe what he's saying. But I think few people really are and so I think there's something else behind his stance.

Possible, he's never struck me as being stupid so he's either deluded or more likely trying to protect his reputation. Some people will say managers have to act that way and never admit their mistakes or accept responsibility. Personally though I've always considered it a weakness when someone can't hold their hands up and admit they've messed up, at least a bit.

Even sack the manager debates are boring as feck under him. When it was obvious Ole and Jose needed to go, the in vs out debate were still pretty entertaining.

With ETH we’ve reached a stage of apathy, the fans are just completely jaded by his presence in the dugout. Watching us with him still in charge becomes more and more difficult every week.

I stopped watching his press conferences or any media duties of his a year ago, I don’t know how some of you still do it.

People can talk about systems, tactics and selections but for me the most basic failing is one of motivation.

We all saw how the team played when they were riled up by what they felt was injustice in the second half against Brentford. The manager should be able to motivate the players to play with that intensity every week and he's just not able to do that for whatever reason.

Absolutely true

Seems to be what Benny Whatsisface was saying

And Bruno needs to be barking orders too

Just another way of saying they're flushing another season down the toilet, because they were incompetent and clueless. Even if they do replace him mid season it'll likely be far too late to save our season.
Infuriating how non-chalant the club is about writing off entire seasons