Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've never disliked a United manager like him before. I actually kinda hate him.

I'm starting to feel the same and it really is strange because he's such a mediocre personality I didn't think it could happen.

Moyes, I missed Fergie and he's a bit uninspiring and said a couple of stupid things but it was only a few months and I do think he hugely respected the club.

Van Gaal I thought was a really strange man but he was definitely amusing and you had to respect his history.

Jose you also had to respect the past accomplishments and he is very charming and charismatic. Even at the worst of times interesting.

Ole won us the Champions League and is a very affable character.

All of them I thought it had become clear they were not the right coach, they all did things wrong that annoyed me too. But this charmless excuse merchant is something entirely different.
I like Ten Hag, he's just not able to execute. That's all it really comes down to. Our players get stage fright and previously good players look bang average as soon as they put on the United shirt. I don't know if it's Ten Hag not getting his ideas across clearly, reluctance to follow instructions, mental frailty, or what, but our team isn't very good and we spent a fortune.

The step up for Ten Hag as well as some of our signings appears to be too great to reach. The signs were definitely there when we had Wout Weghorst. Likable fella, tried his best, but Ten Hag was completely unable to make WW look anything at all like a real striker. There has been a recurring argument since Fergie that great players can mask the shortcomings of a mediocre manager, and vice-versa, but outside of Yoro we haven't bought a best-in-class player since... Rooney? I don't know. Point is, we don't have world class players to cover for Ten Hag, and Ten Hag isn't astute enough to get a tune out of this ragtag band of misfits.

I am adamant they have told him to dial things back a bit to get some points on the board, but that outside of a run of straight wins and champagne football, he is gone in this next break. I have read things about the run of games after the last international games over Christmas through to February is the best environment to gain new manager bounce if you can build momentum.

At this stage the sample size is big enough to make conclusions. He's not as good as the Dutch league made him look. He can't control games or possession, he can't organise a productive attack and he's replaced highly rated players who couldn't perform for him with his former players who also by and large couldn't perform for him.

I like Ten Hag, he's just not able to execute. That's all it really comes down to. Our players get stage fright and previously good players look bang average as soon as they put on the United shirt. I don't know if it's Ten Hag not getting his ideas across clearly, reluctance to follow instructions, mental frailty, or what, but our team isn't very good and we spent a fortune.

The step up for Ten Hag as well as some of our signings appears to be too great to reach. The signs were definitely there when we had Wout Weghorst. Likable fella, tried his best, but Ten Hag was completely unable to make WW look anything at all like a real striker. There has been a recurring argument since Fergie that great players can mask the shortcomings of a mediocre manager, and vice-versa, but outside of Yoro we haven't bought a best-in-class player since... Rooney? I don't know. Point is, we don't have world class players to cover for Ten Hag, and Ten Hag isn't astute enough to get a tune out of this ragtag band of misfits.
If we let Ragnick just do his plan and cleared out then, I wonder how far we woulda sank, but I think we woulda been fine.

Issue was glazers woulda still made the transfers so who knows?
I'm beginning to suspect Ten Hag actually hates Manchester United and enjoys watching us fail.

This guy does not give a single feck when we drop points.
He’s just over whelmed man. He does care, you can tell he hates how he’s doing. He’s a completely different person then when he came in.
I've never disliked a United manager like him before. I actually kinda hate him.
For me it’s the blatant insecurity and self defense that you always see on a manager who knows he is gonna be sacked eventually

A very good list, but I would swap out Maguire for Fellaini, who was nothing more than a fouling machine. But in his defense he had the greatest chest control of any footballer I’ve ever seen.
Ángel Di María, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Matteo Darmian should be on this list

Erik ten Hag says he totally ignores the 3-0 defeat to Tottenham because of the Bruno Fernandes red card and fact it was overturned. "I deny and ignore that Spurs game because the red card was overturned.”

Kids, this is how you treat your job like playing a video game. When things don't go your way, just rage quit and pretend it never happened

I can’t stand him anymore. Every word that comes out of his mouth is just completely delusional. He’s overstayed his welcome and I still can’t believe that INEOS are not taking action. My only hope is that they’re planning to sack him as soon as they find their ideal successor.

Factoring in performances/fee/impact on club:

1. Antony - duh
2. Sanchez - stupid, pointless, Mourinho's biggest mistake. Also fecked over Martial who was saving Mourinho's bacon that first half of the year.
3. Sancho - Made sense on the surface, but my god what a disappointment.

... monumental gap

4. Maguire - Has had some good spells here so some might think it's harsh, but I have him ranked this highly because of the fee and then investment into "finding the right partner" for a limited CB that should never have been playing at a club of our caliber. It fecked a lot of tactical choices and transfer decisions in the years beyond for an ultimately flawed player which hurts.
5. Mount- Terrible decision at the time that has gone even worse than I expected.
6. Schneiderlin- shockingly bad
7. DvB- Why?
8. Depay- Classic dutch league flop. Pretty impressive that he's managed the career he has after how poor it looked early on here.
9. Lindelof- Underratedly bad. He's skated criticism for years but has hardly ever been anything more than a 6/10 player that epitomizes all that's gone wrong at the club year over year. Weak, afraid of contract, and happy to just skate by hoping people don't notice him while collecting huge wages at a big time club. Could have been replaced with someone better 5 years ago.
10. Mkhi- Great Europa campaign but ultimately never good enough for the PL I think.

A very good list, but I would swap out Maguire for Fellaini, who was nothing more than a fouling machine. But in his defense he had the greatest chest control of any footballer I’ve ever seen.

Ángel Di María, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Matteo Darmian should be on this list
It's easier to make a list of the players we bought since Fergie who were NOT a waste of money:

1. Bruno

We either buy average players, good players on their last legs, or take risky fliers on untested players. The days of buying best-in-class are long since gone. If it weren't for our academy players coming through, we'd be well and truly fecked.

This is all very sad. ETH is losing his dignity and a lot of standing in the football world because of this prolonging of his execution. He's clearly never faced anything like this in his career and has no idea how to handle it and is now scrambling and clawing for anything, anything at all, he believes he can use to paint himself in a positive light. He's embarrassing himself and becoming a meme before our eyes. This has gone on for far too long and seems to be our version of keeping a hostage alive like a performing monkey, knowing full well the bullet for them is already primed and the shallow grave prepared.

I said earlier in this thread that anger will breed contempt and we're deep in the throes of that now, with every desperate attempt ETH makes to save face leading to torrents of vitriol from a fanbase who have had enough of watching this man's football as well as listening to his frankly awful excuses and reasoning.

INEOS I'm now wondering whether they're keeping him to lower the price of stocks by tanking us to make the hoovering considerably cheaper for Brexit JIm - the picture may be bigger than the pitch or even this season. Tanking us and then trying to capitalise upon that is starting to feel like something that is feasible because which group of "experts" who are "best in class" allow this to happen wilfully? It's not only morale slumping; there's degrees of disgust to what they are permitting to happen, and both can and will grow more toxic the longer they preside over our downfall.

I can't stand Jose; I pitied Ole; I thought LVG would have eventually turned things around, but his tenure was not a good fit here; Moyes looked like a rabbit in the headlights, but this is the first time I've felt apathy and almost checked out of caring whether we win or lose given it counts for nothing when you know the manager is not up to snuff and the path we're on is a roundabout - the only sure thing I've felt for the last two seasons is nothing can be built with this man, but seeing how standards are being lowered, I never envisaged things getting this bad. I have lost track of the independent count on the amount of times he should have been sacked, clocking out at 6.

There comes a point where you don't need to just worry about the season you're in but in projection to the damage being done to the club as a whole and 'how many years X or Y is setting us back' we're soon to enter that territory. The man has the potential to be our Souness if we're not careful. By contrast, for as bad as Moyes was, he was not given an excessive amount of time to let rot set in.

He should have walked in the summer, I mean the club were interviewing replacements openly. And I think he's eventually realized he isn't turning this around and he's out of his depth.

Erik ten Hag says he totally ignores the 3-0 defeat to Tottenham because of the Bruno Fernandes red card and fact it was overturned. "I deny and ignore that Spurs game because the red card was overturned.”

Kids, this is how you treat your job like playing a video game. When things don't go your way, just rage quit and pretend it never happened
Wow that’s a great way of looking at your work and responsibilities. Just ignore when something goes wrong. Can he be more delusional?

And we were already really shit before the red card:

Looks like he's starting his injuries excuses again, as if no other club has them, what a massive clown.

Yes. And the red card against Tottenham. Zero self respect the guy. Embarrassing clown with zero pride. Never disliked a manager more than him. Even Moyes was more honest about his work here.

Is there anyone who still supports him?
Most definitely. There are a few who’re desperate die-hard fans of him, and continue to back him even if it meant bad results for us, because they couldn’t ever be wrong. You’ll see them crawling out again after a win or two.

Ignoring the Tottenham game because of Fernandes's red card, as if they weren't completely shitting on United for the 43 minutes before that. :lol:

He has clearly lost his mind.

Wow that’s a great way of looking at your work and responsibilities. Just ignore when something goes wrong. Can he be more delusional?

And we were already really shit before the red card:

Perhaps he already had a plan that he was about to relay to his team at half time which would have led to a much better second half performance and a win. Remember he’s a genius tactician and a serial winner that can’t lose.

Perhaps he already had a plan that he was about to relay to his team at half time which would have led to a much better second half performance and a win. Remember he’s a genius tactician and a serial winner that can’t lose.
He was just about to move Mazraoui into the 10 position. Tottenham wouldn't have known what hit them had it not been for that sending off.

afNhfzS_d.webp
A Liverpool fans opinion on Ten Hag… we are a joke club for keeping him this long.

INEOS must have an incoming manager in mind and are just buying time until he becomes available. I refuse to believe they are invested in ETH’s “process”. And ETH knows it too and is just playing the game to secure his pay out.

afNhfzS_d.webp
A Liverpool fans opinion on Ten Hag… we are a joke club for keeping him this long.

It was even worse when Solskjaer was at the helm and was still delivering top-four finishes. Rival fans, unobstructed by the sentimentality of our fanbase, could see that we were heading straight toward a dead-end street, and they were begging for us to offer him a lifetime contract. At least now, there are just a handful of awkward voices. In those days, reading the Caf felt like watching the Twilight Zone.

This is all very sad. ETH is losing his dignity and a lot of standing in the football world because of this prolonging of his execution. He's clearly never faced anything like this in his career and has no idea how to handle it and is now scrambling and clawing for anything, anything at all, he believes he can use to paint himself in a positive light. He's embarrassing himself and becoming a meme before our eyes. This has gone on for far too long and seems to be our version of keeping a hostage alive like a performing monkey, knowing full well the bullet for them is already primed and the shallow grave prepared.

I said earlier in this thread that anger will breed contempt and we're deep in the throes of that now, with every desperate attempt ETH makes to save face leading to torrents of vitriol from a fanbase who have had enough of watching this man's football as well as listening to his frankly awful excuses and reasoning.

INEOS I'm now wondering whether they're keeping him to lower the price of stocks by tanking us to make the hoovering considerably cheaper for Brexit JIm - the picture may be bigger than the pitch or even this season. Tanking us and then trying to capitalise upon that is starting to feel like something that is feasible because which group of "experts" who are "best in class" allow this to happen wilfully? It's not only morale slumping; there's degrees of disgust to what they are permitting to happen, and both can and will grow more toxic the longer they preside over our downfall.

I can't stand Jose; I pitied Ole; I thought LVG would have eventually turned things around, but his tenure was not a good fit here; Moyes looked like a rabbit in the headlights, but this is the first time I've felt apathy and almost checked out of caring whether we win or lose given it counts for nothing when you know the manager is not up to snuff and the path we're on is a roundabout - the only sure thing I've felt for the last two seasons is nothing can be built with this man, but seeing how standards are being lowered, I never envisaged things getting this bad. I have lost track of the independent count on the amount of times he should have been sacked, clocking out at 6.

There comes a point where you don't need to just worry about the season you're in but in projection to the damage being done to the club as a whole and 'how many years X or Y is setting us back' we're soon to enter that territory. The man has the potential to be our Souness if we're not careful. By contrast, for as bad as Moyes was, he was not given an excessive amount of time to let rot set in.

The door is right there for him if he wants to resign because he feels like he's losing his dignity and standing. I have no sympathy for him at all and this is the furthest thing from sad. No one has his family hostage and are forcing him to continue managing United.

I'm hoping there's something brewing with Inzaghi. But it'd still make this season much more enjoyable if we just let Ruud step in. We're not going to do anything of note, and if it's between him or ETH for the season then it's an easy decision.

In all likelihood though, none of the above is happening or even being considered. Ineos have probably told ETH to play more defensively to get the media off his back and stop the rot, and that they'll splash loads of money on him in the next two windows to bring his vision to life.

I'm hoping there's something brewing with Inzaghi. But it'd still make this season much more enjoyable if we just let Ruud step in. We're not going to do anything of note, and if it's between him or ETH for the season then it's an easy decision.

In all likelihood though, none of the above is happening or even being considered. Ineos have probably told ETH to play more defensively to get the media off his back and stop the rot, and that they'll splash loads of money on him in the next two windows to bring his vision to life.
Problem is if Ruud takes over interim and gets a couple of good results, the board will reward him with a 6 year deal and then never be able to afford to pay him off. Rinse, repeat.