Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Geez are we calling Fellaini a great signing and Moyes a good enough manager for us now? I mean I get that ETH is kicking us while we're down but let's not kid ourselves and make Moyes into some kind of unsung hero who had his time cut short here.

He was rubbish and should never have been considered let alone given the job. Wasn't he also responsible for dismantling the entire backroom staff that had supported SAF during the latter stages of his reign? Based on that I think he definitely DID cause damage
Not at all - Moyes should never have been appointed and he was out of his depth. Fellaini was also not United standard, albeit he wouldn’t make my top 10 of worse United signings since 2013 (since 2008 maybe). However, I wouldn’t read too much into the backroom staff - basically everyone in that era (including David Gill for that matter) was made to look good by being associated with a once in a lifetime genius. Simply put, Moyes is a better manager than our current Frank de Boer level joker.

Not at all - Moyes should never have been appointed and he was out of his depth. Fellaini was also not United standard, albeit he wouldn’t make my top 10 of worse United signings since 2013 (since 2008 maybe). However, I wouldn’t read too much into the backroom staff - basically everyone in that era (including David Gill for that matter) was made to look good by being associated with a once in a lifetime genius. Simply put, Moyes is a better manager than our current Frank de Boer level joker.

Who would make your top 10 worst United signings since 2013? Fellaini is an easy call for me, the signing who set in motion a decade of mediocrity.

Looks like he's starting his injuries excuses again, as if no other club has them, what a massive clown.

Not entirely sure if these rumours are true. But the main concern here (if true) would be the contrast in the playing styles of these managers. I would have assumed that INEOS have a playing style and specific profile for a manager they want. Look at Liverpool and their transition from Klopp to Slot. Barcelona always pick a certain attacking style. Surely INEOS would want to build on top of what was already built.

What are Ineos waiting for?

I'm beginning to think Berrada and Ashworth are actually oil state saboteurs. If its not that the ineos are absolutely diabolical and haven't got a fecking clue what they're doing. There's no other explanation.

INEOS have shown already that the have either the same level of standards as the Glaziers or the same football knowledge otherwise they would have sacked ETH last season. INEOS was supposed to be the clean slate that would kick start the rebuild, instead it's just carried on from where we were.

They need to show some spine and sack him ASAP.
They've been worse because we all know Woodward would've sacked him last year. He sure as hell wouldn't have started a new season with him.

This continues to be the stupidest thing ever.

At this point it has to be a financial decision more than a footballing one, the manager is washed.
But it can't possibly be that because we're losing more money every day he's here.

His comments about injuries and ignoring Spurs game :lol: it's what you'd imagine manager would be saying when he's still in the job despite deserving the sack for some time. His team has been mostly terrible for over a year now and in the end he'll get great compensation fee after the sack. So he can't lose basically, staying as manager or getting sacked mean he's in a win-win situation.

If club replaced ten Hag with someone else back in June it would've probably been best for club's and his reputation. No doubt he'll get another job but was in stronger position back then.

Geniunely can't stand him anymore. I feel all our previous post Ferguson managers become more and more deluded as they get closer to the sack but Ten Hag utter refusal to take accountability is infuriating.

Here we go again..

And apparently we shouldn't count the Spurs game :lol:

Fecking hell almighty. I think he's pissed or something. " Because in the last few months with players back we've shown how good we can be"? Yes ethl we've been fecking shite.
And that spurs quote, fecking hell!
How can they keep letting him say this Bs?

Seriously? Because of boring football?
Because in truth, only under Lvg we had clear style of play. Also him as a person and his press conf were good to watch.

Well, just my opinion. I liked the guy very much.

I liked him too but his football was absolute dogshit, the highlight of most matches was a shot on goal. Not as bad as Ten Hag's because at least as you say there was some sort of plan. But both of them have made me hate watching football.

Just read a clickbait about Inzaghi apparently lined up and signed, promised unlimited budget, Milan accusing him of betrayal....even though click bait I was getting excited.... Then read however it will only be in the summer ETH in place until.... Heck even click bait leaving me flaccid

I liked him too but his football was absolute dogshit, the highlight of most matches was a shot on goal. Not as bad as Ten Hag's because at least as you say there was some sort of plan. But both of them have made me hate watching football.
The football was terrible, but we were an incredibly well coached side under LVG. I’d say that ETH is comfortably the worst manager we’ve had post Fergie.

We can’t defend. We can’t control the midfield and we can’t attack under this fraud. We do absolutely nothing well at all.

Speaking of Arteta, look at how he struggled initially at Arsenal and how good he has turned out to be. Maybe the correct idea is to persist with a struggling coach.
Lance Stroll ain't winning the F1 Drivers championship, Italy ain't winning the rugby world cup, the Islanders ain't winning the Stanley Cup etc...

But the all stand more chance of becoming elite than ETH does, the guy is asswater as manager

this is now considered an uptick in form:

51d0230e20b7ab089af8a4219cde63f3d990b5ee.jpg
Sailing through October unbeaten

The football was terrible, but we were an incredibly well coached side under LVG. I’d say that ETH is comfortably the worst manager we’ve had post Fergie.

We can’t defend. We can’t control the midfield and we can’t attack under this fraud. We do absolutely nothing well at all.

No, to be fair we're actually good at er, um.... :confused:

Who would make your top 10 worst United signings since 2013? Fellaini is an easy call for me, the signing who set in motion a decade of mediocrity.
Factoring in performances/fee/impact on club:

1. Antony - duh
2. Sanchez - stupid, pointless, Mourinho's biggest mistake. Also fecked over Martial who was saving Mourinho's bacon that first half of the year.
3. Sancho - Made sense on the surface, but my god what a disappointment.

... monumental gap

4. Maguire - Has had some good spells here so some might think it's harsh, but I have him ranked this highly because of the fee and then investment into "finding the right partner" for a limited CB that should never have been playing at a club of our caliber. It fecked a lot of tactical choices and transfer decisions in the years beyond for an ultimately flawed player which hurts.
5. Mount- Terrible decision at the time that has gone even worse than I expected.
6. Schneiderlin- shockingly bad
7. DvB- Why?
8. Depay- Classic dutch league flop. Pretty impressive that he's managed the career he has after how poor it looked early on here.
9. Lindelof- Underratedly bad. He's skated criticism for years but has hardly ever been anything more than a 6/10 player that epitomizes all that's gone wrong at the club year over year. Weak, afraid of contract, and happy to just skate by hoping people don't notice him while collecting huge wages at a big time club. Could have been replaced with someone better 5 years ago.
10. Mkhi- Great Europa campaign but ultimately never good enough for the PL I think.

Think many will say Pogba but I've always been of the opinion that he was fecked over in many of the midfields he had to play in, and was far better than people remember especially earlier in his time with us. Ultimately disappointing of course, but not as bad for reasons as some above. I'm fine if others want to put him in though.

Yeah we could actually swamp teams that decided to come at us under LVG. But teams realized that if they just sat a bit deeper we were hilariously inept at actually creating any sort of danger against them. He never figured out how to adapt to that as a manager.

I am wondering how did this guy manage to get us to 3rd place in the first season and made us look good in defense.
I know Rashford was in terrific form but still it was a small miracle considering what we play now.
Maybe memories are short, and maybe mine is failing me, but we were shit in that season as well after the Carabao (and whilst we were better beforehand we were anything but comfortable). Fortunately for us other teams were also shit. I'm sure there was a point in those last couple of months where 5th place was as much a possibility as 3rd or 4th.

This is all very sad. ETH is losing his dignity and a lot of standing in the football world because of this prolonging of his execution. He's clearly never faced anything like this in his career and has no idea how to handle it and is now scrambling and clawing for anything, anything at all, he believes he can use to paint himself in a positive light. He's embarrassing himself and becoming a meme before our eyes. This has gone on for far too long and seems to be our version of keeping a hostage alive like a performing monkey, knowing full well the bullet for them is already primed and the shallow grave prepared.

I said earlier in this thread that anger will breed contempt and we're deep in the throes of that now, with every desperate attempt ETH makes to save face leading to torrents of vitriol from a fanbase who have had enough of watching this man's football as well as listening to his frankly awful excuses and reasoning.

INEOS I'm now wondering whether they're keeping him to lower the price of stocks by tanking us to make the hoovering considerably cheaper for Brexit JIm - the picture may be bigger than the pitch or even this season. Tanking us and then trying to capitalise upon that is starting to feel like something that is feasible because which group of "experts" who are "best in class" allow this to happen wilfully? It's not only morale slumping; there's degrees of disgust to what they are permitting to happen, and both can and will grow more toxic the longer they preside over our downfall.

I can't stand Jose; I pitied Ole; I thought LVG would have eventually turned things around, but his tenure was not a good fit here; Moyes looked like a rabbit in the headlights, but this is the first time I've felt apathy and almost checked out of caring whether we win or lose given it counts for nothing when you know the manager is not up to snuff and the path we're on is a roundabout - the only sure thing I've felt for the last two seasons is nothing can be built with this man, but seeing how standards are being lowered, I never envisaged things getting this bad. I have lost track of the independent count on the amount of times he should have been sacked, clocking out at 6.

There comes a point where you don't need to just worry about the season you're in but in projection to the damage being done to the club as a whole and 'how many years X or Y is setting us back' we're soon to enter that territory. The man has the potential to be our Souness if we're not careful. By contrast, for as bad as Moyes was, he was not given an excessive amount of time to let rot set in.

Maybe memories are short, and maybe mine is failing me, but we were shit in that season as well after the Carabao (and whilst we were better beforehand we were anything but comfortable). Fortunately for us other teams were also shit. I'm sure there was a point in those last couple of months where 5th place was as much a possibility as 3rd or 4th.
We also played quite badly in a lot of games even before the Carabao cup win. Rashford being in the form of his life covered up a lot of the cracks. I think the underlying stats had us in 6th overall. I didn't really mind back then because it was his first season and all.

Where he lost me is after around 10 games or so of the second season where it was clear we were actually going backwards instead of making any kind of progress as a team. It hasn't changed since then.

Yeah Rashford was unbelievable between the WC and the Carabao Cup final.

The funny thing was, I've never seen a season celebrated so much for winning the Carabao Cup and finishing top 4 - a season in which we conceded 6 and 7 goals against our biggest rivals.

Remember how we weren't meant to care about getting 7-0 at Anfield, as long as we finished ahead of them? Now who gives 2 shits about that top 4 finish (we humiliated ourselves in the group stages of the CL anyways) and that result is a permanent stain on the clubs history.
It was his first season. Some of us were hopeful/naive. Things looked on the up and we somehow didn't progress. If anything we've gotten worse.

Like @golden_blunder mentioned, we're at the "lower expectations" phase. We're Manchester United ffs, not some two bit team that should be happy for a top half finish. I might only get to OT a couple of times a season but, fecking hell, it's not the fortress it once was. I'm actually worried whenever we come across a half decent side now.

United don't have a God given right to win but with our resources we should, at the very least, be rimming the arse off Top 4 like it's made out of honeycomb every season.

We also played quite badly in a lot of games even before the Carabao cup win. Rashford being in the form of his life covered up a lot of the cracks. I think the underlying stats had us in 6th overall
Yeah, you're absolutely right. I was going to mention Rashford so I'm glad you said it. I don't want to say "Moments FC", but we were proper Moments FC in that first season - arguably moreso than we were under Ole on average.

At this point, regardless of the source quality, I'd believe it if an exposé came out that revealed Ten Hag to be a witch who fed the players muscle tightening poison, thus causing our continuous injury crises as a way to put the blame on anything other than himself.

This is all very sad. ETH is losing his dignity and a lot of standing in the football world because of this prolonging of his execution. He's clearly never faced anything like this in his career and has no idea how to handle it and is now scrambling and clawing for anything, anything at all, he believes he can use to paint himself in a positive light. He's embarrassing himself and becoming a meme before our eyes. This has gone on for far too long and seems to be our version of keeping a hostage alive like a performing monkey, knowing full well the bullet for them is already primed and the shallow grave prepared.

I said earlier in this thread that anger will breed contempt and we're deep in the throes of that now, with every desperate attempt ETH makes to save face leading to torrents of vitriol from a fanbase who have had enough of watching this man's football as well as listening to his frankly awful excuses and reasoning.

This is all true but he wouldnt be tanking his dignity if he had a bit of humility in there to begin with. The problem with his interviews and the way he fights with pundits and journos, compared to previous managers, is he gives the impression he believes all the bullshit he's peddling.

When Jose was sacked he'd wanted out from the start of the season. Ole accepted after the Liverpool 5-0 that he deserved to be canned. But Ten Hag has come through so many moments when he should have been sacked, and would have been anywhere else, that his ego is growing even while he delivers steaming piles of footballing shit.

Doesn't help he was an unlikeable charisma vacuum to begin with. But because of the way he's carried on the past 6 months, I will enjoy following the downfall of his career after he leave us.

Factoring in performances/fee/impact on club:

1. Antony - duh
2. Sanchez - stupid, pointless, Mourinho's biggest mistake. Also fecked over Martial who was saving Mourinho's bacon that first half of the year.
3. Sancho - Made sense on the surface, but my god what a disappointment.

... monumental gap

4. Maguire - Has had some good spells here so some might think it's harsh, but I have him ranked this highly because of the fee and then investment into "finding the right partner" for a limited CB that should never have been playing at a club of our caliber. It fecked a lot of tactical choices and transfer decisions in the years beyond for an ultimately flawed player which hurts.
5. Mount- Terrible decision at the time that has gone even worse than I expected.
6. Schneiderlin- shockingly bad
7. DvB- Why?
8. Depay- Classic dutch league flop. Pretty impressive that he's managed the career he has after how poor it looked early on here.
9. Lindelof- Underratedly bad. He's skated criticism for years but has hardly ever been anything more than a 6/10 player that epitomizes all that's gone wrong at the club year over year. Weak, afraid of contract, and happy to just skate by hoping people don't notice him while collecting huge wages at a big time club. Could have been replaced with someone better 5 years ago.
10. Mkhi- Great Europa campaign but ultimately never good enough for the PL I think.

Think many will say Pogba but I've always been of the opinion that he was fecked over in many of the midfields he had to play in, and was far better than people remember especially earlier in his time with us. Ultimately disappointing of course, but not as bad for reasons as some above. I'm fine if others want to put him in though.
A very good list, but I would swap out Maguire for Fellaini, who was nothing more than a fouling machine. But in his defense he had the greatest chest control of any footballer I’ve ever seen.

I've never disliked a United manager like him before. I actually kinda hate him.

I'm starting to feel the same and it really is strange because he's such a mediocre personality I didn't think it could happen.

Moyes, I missed Fergie and he's a bit uninspiring and said a couple of stupid things but it was only a few months and I do think he hugely respected the club.

Van Gaal I thought was a really strange man but he was definitely amusing and you had to respect his history.

Jose you also had to respect the past accomplishments and he is very charming and charismatic. Even at the worst of times interesting.

Ole won us the Champions League and is a very affable character.

All of them I thought it had become clear they were not the right coach, they all did things wrong that annoyed me too. But this charmless excuse merchant is something entirely different.