Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Do they sack him if he loses to Brentford?

Probably not, it would make them look even stupider, and "it wouldn't be fair, they have all been away on international duty" "he hasn't had a chance to coach them", ignoring that the team generally gets shitter the longer he has with them, but if he does the fury of the fans will be something to behold.

Will probably win though.

What on earth?

If we lose the next 3 PL games, or fail to win any, we will be dragged down into the relegation fight. I dont understand what is surprising?

We have scored 5 goals in 6 games and on a -3 goal difference, averaging 1.14 points per game in the first 20% of the games.

Looking at Ten Hags record generally, we dont do well away from home, considering we have played home games V Spurs and Liverpool, we have to go away. So Newcastle, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, City we still need to go to and the max we can achieve based on Ten Hags previous is 3 points.

Then we also struggle against teams in the top 8, so home and away, so that is 40% of the PL we struggle to get a draw let alone win.

Now, add to that we struggle away generally, Palace, Brentford, Fulham, West Ham, Wolves are all difficult games.

If Ten Hag is manager, I cannot see us getting more than 45 points this season, considering 40 points is what 10 points off relegation zone in the last couple seasons.

Add to that we barely score more than 1 goal in the PL, so we are banking on a good defensive record? Oh wait... we are probably the easiest team in Europe to play against for the last 18 months.

There is no "sudden click". It's a process. It's naive to think it's as simple as flipping a switch.

More importantly ETH said "trust the process" not "trust the click". That alone is all I need to know that it's gradual.
I understand you. I think what we hope for is for the process to click eventually. But yeah, it's not going to magically happen in one game it'll be over time. (If it works)

No most probably wont get relegated but we will be battling it based on our form. 6 games, played promoted teams, teams in relegation, mid table, top of the league, top 6 teams this season. So we have played a wide range of teams and the best we looked was 45 minutes against Palace who sit in the relegation zone, a game which we didn't win and played for the draw.

Now we look at underlying stats, we have the worst goal scoring team, 5 goals in 6 games, conceded plenty and could have lost 6-0 to both Spurs and liverpool and no one would have said we didn't deserve it.

We average just above a point a game which takes us to 44 points this season.

Some people will say sample size.. well we are also in the Europa league which is a 5-7th in the league competition and we are struggling in that competition too, it seems too good for us.

There are no excuses... we have had a fit squad barring LB, so I dont see why people think we are too good to go be in a relegation scrap? Our form, our tactics, our performances all point towards that direction.

We shit ourselves playing anyone in the top half of the table.. went to AV away and played not to lose.. guess which teams do that? Relegation standard.
There is absolutely zero threat of relegation. Ten Hag will steer us to 12th at very least and is probably capable of getting us into the top half.

I’m willing to bet that we finish at least 10 points above relegation with ten Hag in charge come May.

There is absolutely zero threat of relegation. Ten Hag will steer us to 12th at very least and is probably capable of getting us into the top half.

I’m willing to bet that we finish at least 10 points above relegation with ten Hag in charge come May.

I have never said we are in risk of relegation, 10 points of relegation means you are in a relegation scrap.

If at the end of the season we finished 10 points of the title, you would say at some point in the season we would have been in a title race ?

I think we will finish bottom half but the next few weeks will be tough if we do not win our games. When you are looking at how far you are off relegation as a Manutd manager... you should be sacked on the spot.

We keep lowering standards, I accept being realistic but finishing anywhere below 4th should be instant sack considering he finished 8th last season.

Played 7 games, 4 of them have been against Liverpool, Spurs, Villa and Brighton Away. The other 3 were against Southampton, Fulham and Palace.

It was probably expected that we lost to Liverpool and Brighton Away, Spurs battering us at home was not as expected.

We beat Southampton and Fulham as expected, we were expected to beat Palace and drew, expected to lose to Villa who are in good form and we drew.

3 losses against teams most were expecting to beat us anyway. 1 draw we were expected to lose. 1 draw we were expected to win. 2 wins we were expected to win.

Yes this is Manchester United and we should be expected to beat everyone, but realistically the team have got the points that they should have, which is tragic but that is where the team is currently at.

If the team continues with what is expected, then we win against Brentford at home, Leicester at home, Ipswich away, Everton at home, Forest at home.

Whilst losing against Chelsea and Arsenal.

That is an expected 12 points from 18. My predictions are; Brentford DRAW, Leicester WIN, Ipswich WIN, Everton WIN, Forest WIN, Chelsea LOSS, Arsenal LOSS.

13 points from 7 games is much better than 8 points from 7 games.
So at the beginning of the season we were expected to lose already against Villa, Spurs and Pool at home ?
If that’s the expectation, ETH is doing great and we will do no better then 10th.
What’s the expectation at Pool away ? 6 or 7 goal for them ?
You are expecting us to finish no higher then 10. The manager messed with your head if that you think that’s where we are. We are better then that.

I’m really scratching my head over this one.

Genuinely, can someone capable of making sensible points - not NLunited - explain to me a reason they may have kept him?

Genuinely, can someone capable of making sensible points - not NLunited - explain to me a reason they may have kept him?

Because, irrespective of ownership, Utd have consistently shown that when failing managers would have been shown the door at most other top clubs, they get an additional 6-12 months to 'turn it around' at Utd. So ETH is in that period. History tells us, they don't, and he won't!

Maybe lowering the expectations so much that the new guy, who I think Ineos are confident in getting, has less pressure next season.

I really have no idea though.

I can't quite believe this charlatan has managed to stay.
Even putting my personal feelings aside, it makes such little sense

Sacking him is expensive but CL football is very achievable if we get our act together now. With him, it’s simply not happening.

Come on now. We're not going to get relegated or even be in a relegation battle. Why does this line of thinking come up every time we have a shit start to a season?

I have never said we are in risk of relegation, 10 points of relegation means you are in a relegation scrap.

If at the end of the season we finished 10 points of the title, you would say at some point in the season we would have been in a title race ?

I think we will finish bottom half but the next few weeks will be tough if we do not win our games. When you are looking at how far you are off relegation as a Manutd manager... you should be sacked on the spot.

We keep lowering standards, I accept being realistic but finishing anywhere below 4th should be instant sack considering he finished 8th last season.
Why are you tripling down on this relegation guff? Just log off and take a break.

Sacking him is expensive but CL football is very achievable if we get our act together now. With him, it’s simply not happening.

INEOS have made a complete arse of this. The next set of fixtures would’ve been perfect for a new manager to come in and hit the ground running. Instead they’re happy to let ETH flush more points down the drain and make it even more difficult for his eventual replacement to salvage anything from the season.

I mean you have said exactly what I did, we cannot beat anyone in the top half and we should expect to draw against them as the best possible scenario. We beat Fulham and Southampton but it wasn't a easy win like you make it sound.

The bolded comment is actually a joke... are you saying after spending 600m, we should be satisfied going to Brighton to get beat? Go to Palace and Villa and play for the draw? Get 0 out of Spurs and be embarrassed ? The team is good enough to at least compete with any team in the PL, the issue is the coach.

Would you have said FC Twente was a expected home win? But we didn't get it, so there is proof that this team cannot do what is expected, so we could lose the next 3. There is no evidence this season that this team can beat any team above us in the league.

How can you be satisfied with not competing with any of the top 7 teams?

Actually I didn't say what you said. Not many teams have had to Liverpool, Brighton, Spurs and Villa in their first 7 games, that is a very tough list of fixtures for any team. In fact the next 7 game are quite a bit easier, so it would suggest that the team will pick up more points as they are playing lower level teams.

Of course I am not happy and want the manager gone as it is unacceptable, I am just pointing out that them games the result could have gone either way and is not a surprise that we lost, based on the current level of the team (which is obviously unacceptable).

Also writing that I am satisfied is you just making things up. Not once did my post say anything about being fine with it.

INEOS have made a complete arse of this. The next set of fixtures would’ve been perfect for a new manager to come in and hit the ground running. Instead they’re happy to let ETH flush more points down the drain and make it even more difficult for his eventual replacement to salvage anything from the season.

Maybe they are giving him the benefit of the doubt as the first 7 games had some tough fixtures and they are waiting to see if he can turn it around. I don't agree with it btw, but maybe that is their reasoning?

We don't create lots of chances, we don't make high XG. We were 11th for XG last season and we are 11th for XG so far this season.

So ETH's high risk philosophy gives us mid table creation stats and the risk gives us mid table XGA stats aswell.

Compared to the previous 3 seasons our XG has been getting progressively worse as has our XGA.

ETH has spent 600 million to make us a considerably worse side. The squad and manager combination is the worst by someway in the post SAF era.

We are currently on high numbers in term of creating big chances but also very bad in converting our big chances.

Although, we had high xG before the spurs game (See below image). Our xG now has dropped significantly and is currently mid table due to we have average and inexperienced attackers who tend to make poor decision making on the final third such as trying to shoot in difficult angle rather than pass/cross.

If we take into consideration that we creating high number of big chances, missing lot of our big chances, and has low xG due to our attackers tend to make poor decision making, it means our attackers level are in mid table level. Playing high risk of conceding goals to create lot of big chances with mid table level attackers.

IMG-4010.jpg

IMG-4011.jpg

IMG-4012.jpg

10 points above is not relegation scrap, it’s staying up comfortably. I actually feel safe about ten Hag steering us even higher.

I think keeping him now we have accepted the goal for this season is much, much lower than top 4. It would be silly to expect him to deliver that.

It’s insane really. Punting on yet another season costing us even more money just for the simple fact of making a point to “give him time” even though i don’t want our management just giving every fecking manager “time” for the sake of it.

Come on now. We're not going to get relegated or even be in a relegation battle. Why does this line of thinking come up every time we have a shit start to a season?
If the recruitment stays this bad and things continue this way, I wouldn’t be surprised if United are relegated in the next 5 years. Mid table teams are overtaking us and people need to wake up to the reality

Maybe they are giving him the benefit of the doubt as the first 7 games had some tough fixtures and they are waiting to see if he can turn it around. I don't agree with it btw, but maybe that is their reasoning?
We haven’t had tough fixtures. When the games lost was released everyone was in agreement that our first 10 games looked very favorable and could position us well for the rest of year. It’s only now that it became clear it won’t happen that people have somehow changed that narrative.

If the recruitment stays this bad and things continue this way, I wouldn’t be surprised if United are relegated in the next 5 years. Mid table teams are overtaking us and people need to wake up to the reality
Wouldn’t be surprised? It would be a huge surprise. One of the biggest in world football :lol:

I strongly believe that if things stays the same we will only be a perennial Europa League team, I don't see relegation because Ten Hag had to work hard to make the team perform this bad, he is bound to stumble on a few wins and whoever eventually replaces him will probably at least do slightly better in the league.

This is silly. Ten Hag’s goal this season will be a comfortable mid table finish but there’s no way we aren’t asking him to get us back into top 8 next year. Relegation is out of question.

I strongly believe that if things stays the same we will only be a perennial Europa League team, I don't see relegation because Ten Hag had to work hard to make the team perform this bad, he is bound to stumble on a few wins and whoever eventually replaces him will probably at least do slightly better in the league.
I don’t think we are making EL this year but he will steer us back there or Conference League within the following two seasons.

I'd be very surprised (although lower midtable is a very real possibility), but regardless, I'm talking about this season

This is silly. Ten Hag’s goal this season will be a comfortable mid table finish but there’s no way we aren’t asking him to get us back into top 8 next year. Relegation is out of question.
FFS goal mid-table, last season goal would have been top 4, I know you are on a WUM but FFS if mid-table was true it would be atrocious considering the value of the squad and the investment

Man United’s institution primary role is to support the manager at all costs. We have seen thousands of posts how we wouldn’t like to be like Real Madrid, sacking managers every couple of years.

Keeping the same manager regardless of performances must be our top priority. Playing 1 or 2 academy players is a distant second. Playing decent football is as best a very distant third but completely optional and not even something we should care about. Winning important trophies is something we have willingly given up.

Wouldn’t be surprised? It would be a huge surprise. One of the biggest in world football :lol:
If they keep signing players who aren’t good enough over a sustained period, any club is going to be towards relegation

Over 11 years we barely have a single standout “successful” signing. If that continues for years more, why are we immune?

A lot of match going fans do like him too

Not for any rational reason.

If ETH had gone to Spurs back when they interviewed him, no one on this forum, nor in OT, would be calling him "likeable". Other than for the misery he'd have wrought upon Spurs.

FFS goal mid-table, last season goal would have been top 4, I know you are on a WUM but FFS if mid-table was true it would be atrocious considering the value of the squad and the investment
We are mid table now and have been a mid table team under him for 18 months. We are either happy with that temporarily and buy into his long term plan, or simply delusional in believing he is capable of doing more currently. We are not getting more out of this season under him.