Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Bit of a Caf meme this - feels like a massive nothing statement (to me).

We have a huge fan base, with thousands of different view points on any given matter. In what way is that fan base a lost cause?

What is it that the majority are supposed to be doing that people think they’re not? Interested in the views of those who think this to be a thing

I guess when they refer to ''the fans'' they're usually talking about those who attend Old Trafford regularly, otherwise as you say it's impossible to judge. If we're to go by social media alone ''the fans'' definitely aren't happy with the club/manager in any shape or form currently. The only thing the fans inside Old Trafford can do is either stop attending games, or let their voices be heard during the game via chants and banners.

We have a huge fan base, with thousands of different view points on any given matter. In what way is that fan base a lost cause?
In the way that the match-going fans don't leverage their influence when things go awry. There always is positive feedback at the end of matches, no issue how terrible the performance was that just disgraced Old Trafford.
What is it that the majority are supposed to be doing that people think they’re not?
When there is nothing to be happy about, voice your discontent and motivate the board to act. In general, give honest feedback to the team on and off the pitch.

I don't mean "don't support them during the match", absolutely do that every time because it's your club and you want it to succeed, but responsible fans make clear what standards they have and what level of performance they expect - and if what they see matches that. This (almost) never seems to happen at Old Trafford, and I (and others) believe that this is part of the reason why it looks as if being 14th is absolutely acceptable for the fans and no reason to change the direction of the club.

See lex's post above. I hope to god it's sarcasm for their sake. Bringing Arteta and Fergie up again :nervous:

To be clear I don't agree with any of the rationales on offer for keeping ETH. He's had more than enough time to Make United Great Again and we're arguably actually worse now we were during the last days of Ole. But these are good faith rationales, however unconvincing they are.

The only serious question is who should replace ETH. But we are appear to be confronted with us is the dilemma over who, given the dire condition of the club, would want the job?

Apart from his tactics, which clearly don't work, the guy has no eye for a talent.
Which is why the “leave him coach and let the recruitment team worry about players” argument makes no sense to me.

Having no eye for talent whatsoever isn’t a problem that just goes away when he’s no longer responsible for bringing in the players. He’s still the one that has to judge player ability and pick a team every week out of the 25 or so players at his disposal.

How can people on one hand acknowledge he’s not a good judge of player, and then allow that same poor judgement to select a team week in, week out?

He’s a diabolical manager, and INEOS aren’t far behind for allowing this shitshow to continue.

If we keep ETH then the only wins I can see us getting from our next 7 is Leicester at home in the League Cup (probably on pens) and a scrappy 1-0 against PAOK at home in the Europa.
I think we will win both of them plus at least one of Leicester and Brentford, if not both. This should be enough to give him some breathing room.

Motivation - no. Communication - no. Scouting players and assessing talent - no. In game management - no. Tactical set up - no. Coaching - no.

Eroding expectations, conning ultra-naive fans and getting rewarded for failure - world class

Yeah hopefully we get one of Brailsford and Ashworths mates instead. Southgate or Potter, take your pick.

Or we could just hire a good manager who plays attacking football. E.g not Tuchel

Not confident of any, but I will go with 2 - We should be beating Leicester both times.

In Europe we can't expect anything under EtH, we'll be lucky to get 2 draws there.

I reckon the league game will be a proper relegation scrap. We prob wont win a PL game until the Leicester one which would mean we would be dragged down battling relegation.

So the Leicester game is a must win if we want to survive.

This is what Ten Hag has done, we are battling relegation teams now... sighh

I reckon the league game will be a proper relegation scrap. We prob wont win a PL game until the Leicester one which would mean we would be dragged down battling relegation.

Only in your fantasies though

This is a bit hysterical. I get the mood on here, but the idea we’re in risk of going down is just nonsense.

Calm down mate

I think we will win both of them plus at least one of Leicester and Brentford, if not both. This should be enough to give him some breathing room.

We probably wont beat Brentford as they are much better than us and the League game against Leicester will likely be a boring affair and end 0-0

This is a bit hysterical. I get the mood on here, but the idea we’re in risk of going down is just nonsense.

Calm down mate

Okay.. maybe not to survive.. for Ten Hag to survive. We have seen over the past 2 seasons Brentford at home is no easy fixture.. neither is West Ham away. We lost to them last season and we have 3 PL games before Leicester. There is a big possibility we win 0/3, Brentford, West Ham, Chelsea.

If Palace, Leicester, Ipswich win any of the 2 games they have, baring in mind some play each other, come the Leicester game we will be in and around relegation zone.

Not saying we will go down but we will be fighting 12-17th in the table.

Okay.. maybe not to survive.. for Ten Hag to survive. We have seen over the past 2 seasons Brentford at home is no easy fixture.. neither is West Ham away. We lost to them last season and we have 3 PL games before Leicester. There is a big possibility we win 0/3, Brentford, West Ham, Chelsea.

If Palace, Leicester, Ipswich win any of the 2 games they have, baring in mind some play each other, come the Leicester game we will be in and around relegation zone.

Not saying we will go down but we will be fighting 12-17th in the table.

While the game against Leicester wont really be a battle for survival if we continue to get points and goals at our current rate for the rest of the season we finish with only 44 points and only 28 or 29 goals which would highly likely see us very close to relegation if not relegated.

While the game against Leicester wont really be a battle for survival if we continue to get points and goals at our current rate for the rest of the season we finish with only 44 points and only 28 or 29 goals which would highly likely see us very close to relegation if not relegated.
exactly my point.. people talking about calming down, being hysterical but if they objectively look at our form the 2nd half of last season to the first 6 games, this seasons form is not an anomaly, or a blip that we will recover. We finished last season with - goal difference and started this with -3. We have scored 5 goals which is on par with the worst teams in the PL that get relegated.

The points average tell you where we will be and that is very close to the relegation zone.

Brentford at better than us at the moment, if you look at the league they are 2 points above us and have scored almost 3x the amount of goals that we have scored plus they actually managed to beat Palace which is something we failed to do.
It's been 7 games. They finished 16th last season, United finished 8th. They clearly aren't better.

Brentford at better than us at the moment, if you look at the league they are 2 points above us and have scored almost 3x the amount of goals that we have scored plus they actually managed to beat Palace which is something we failed to do.
How did they get on last season? I'm just interested in using a sample size that is actually befitting of the claim that they are "much better" than us. I dare say that they haven't even been "much" better than us this season and we have been very underwhelming.

It's been 7 games. They finished 16th last season, United finished 8th. They clearly aren't better.

Im talking about at this moment in ti.e not last season but anyway last season they were arguably the better team in both games against us with us needing 2 late stoppage time goals from McTominay to beat them at home and a late stoppage time goal from Mount to snatch a draw at their place.

Without a doubt the most backed manager we've had post-Fergie

He seemingly dictates the standards to the club, not the other way

Ten Hag isn't surviving. I'm completely disappointed and baffled why he's being allowed to slowly drag out his death here. It benefits no one. We waste more time, and he only hurts his reputation further. It's a total lose lose situation.

Surely he must actually be quite charismatic or convincing

The worst part of all this is we know for a fact he's neither. He's not even likeable. If he was at any other big-ish club in the world he'd have been unceremoniously turfed out 9 months+ ago

None and that is me being optimistic, if it was possible to be worse I would vote for that

- Needs a minimum 7 points from 12 in the league, including a respectable showing against Chelsea.
- Needs at least 4 points in the Europa to keep us even slightly competitive in the league table.
- Needs to beat Leicester, no excuses.

I think the next battering will be his end. Wouldn’t be surprised if Brentford score at least 3 at the weekend. This logic is dumb but it seems to be how we’re operating? Who knows, I’m totally lost at this point, I can’t make sense of the decisions.

No way they expected it to get this bad, but what if they already had someone lined up "just in case" since summer?

Maybe they have actually now decided to replace EtH, but "their man" isn't available yet.

They obviously have to get the next one right, and they have had the excuse until now of the new football structure needing time to bed in and assess.

(definitely not wishful thinking on my part :lol:)

Maybe they have actually now decided to replace EtH, but "their man" isn't available yet.
That would mean that they actively decided to waste a season on a manager who they know they don't want to have in the long term. That would only make sense if his successor would play a somewhat similar style to EtH so that there wouldn't be a need to change too much then and that EtH actually builds towards it.

Or in other words, your scenario would mean that the current approach to football actually is the "INEOS game model".
(definitely not wishful thinking on my part :lol:)
Which is why I don't see your line of thinking, it's more like a nightmare.

We are not getting relegated.

That would mean that they actively decided to waste a season on a manager who they know they don't want to have in the long term. That would only make sense if his successor would play a somewhat similar style to EtH so that there wouldn't be a need to change too much then and that EtH actually builds towards it.

Or in other words, your scenario would mean that the current approach to football actually is the "INEOS game model".

Which is why I don't see your line of thinking, it's more like a nightmare.
I'd like to think they were planning ahead but the longer this goes on, I feel like they probably were just crossing their fingers and hoping for the best in the summer.

Maybe something changed since then.

Of course, it could also be that they were planning for it but that they have terrible decision making too.

We are not getting relegated.

No most probably wont get relegated but we will be battling it based on our form. 6 games, played promoted teams, teams in relegation, mid table, top of the league, top 6 teams this season. So we have played a wide range of teams and the best we looked was 45 minutes against Palace who sit in the relegation zone, a game which we didn't win and played for the draw.

Now we look at underlying stats, we have the worst goal scoring team, 5 goals in 6 games, conceded plenty and could have lost 6-0 to both Spurs and liverpool and no one would have said we didn't deserve it.

We average just above a point a game which takes us to 44 points this season.

Some people will say sample size.. well we are also in the Europa league which is a 5-7th in the league competition and we are struggling in that competition too, it seems too good for us.

There are no excuses... we have had a fit squad barring LB, so I dont see why people think we are too good to go be in a relegation scrap? Our form, our tactics, our performances all point towards that direction.

We shit ourselves playing anyone in the top half of the table.. went to AV away and played not to lose.. guess which teams do that? Relegation standard.

No most probably wont get relegated but we will be battling it based on our form. 6 games, played promoted teams, teams in relegation, mid table, top of the league, top 6 teams this season. So we have played a wide range of teams and the best we looked was 45 minutes against Palace who sit in the relegation zone, a game which we didn't win and played for the draw.

Now we look at underlying stats, we have the worst goal scoring team, 5 goals in 6 games, conceded plenty and could have lost 6-0 to both Spurs and liverpool and no one would have said we didn't deserve it.

We average just above a point a game which takes us to 44 points this season.

Some people will say sample size.. well we are also in the Europa league which is a 5-7th in the league competition and we are struggling in that competition too, it seems too good for us.

There are no excuses... we have had a fit squad barring LB, so I dont see why people think we are too good to go be in a relegation scrap? Our form, our tactics, our performances all point towards that direction.

We shit ourselves playing anyone in the top half of the table.. went to AV away and played not to lose.. guess which teams do that? Relegation standard.

Played 7 games, 4 of them have been against Liverpool, Spurs, Villa and Brighton Away. The other 3 were against Southampton, Fulham and Palace.

It was probably expected that we lost to Liverpool and Brighton Away, Spurs battering us at home was not as expected.

We beat Southampton and Fulham as expected, we were expected to beat Palace and drew, expected to lose to Villa who are in good form and we drew.

3 losses against teams most were expecting to beat us anyway. 1 draw we were expected to lose. 1 draw we were expected to win. 2 wins we were expected to win.

Yes this is Manchester United and we should be expected to beat everyone, but realistically the team have got the points that they should have, which is tragic but that is where the team is currently at.

If the team continues with what is expected, then we win against Brentford at home, Leicester at home, Ipswich away, Everton at home, Forest at home.

Whilst losing against Chelsea and Arsenal.

That is an expected 12 points from 18. My predictions are; Brentford DRAW, Leicester WIN, Ipswich WIN, Everton WIN, Forest WIN, Chelsea LOSS, Arsenal LOSS.

13 points from 7 games is much better than 8 points from 7 games.

Played 7 games, 4 of them have been against Liverpool, Spurs, Villa and Brighton Away. The other 3 were against Southampton, Fulham and Palace.

It was probably expected that we lost to Liverpool and Brighton Away, Spurs battering us at home was not as expected.

We beat Southampton and Fulham as expected, we were expected to beat Palace and drew, expected to lose to Villa who are in good form and we drew.

3 losses against teams most were expecting to beat us anyway. 1 draw we were expected to lose. 1 draw we were expected to win. 2 wins we were expected to win.

Yes this is Manchester United and we should be expected to beat everyone, but realistically the team have got the points that they should have, which is tragic but that is where the team is currently at.

If the team continues with what is expected, then we win against Brentford at home, Leicester at home, Ipswich away, Everton at home, Forest at home.

Whilst losing against Chelsea and Arsenal.

That is an expected 12 points from 18. My predictions are; Brentford DRAW, Leicester WIN, Ipswich WIN, Everton WIN, Forest WIN, Chelsea LOSS, Arsenal LOSS.

13 points from 7 games is much better than 8 points from 7 games.

I mean you have said exactly what I did, we cannot beat anyone in the top half and we should expect to draw against them as the best possible scenario. We beat Fulham and Southampton but it wasn't a easy win like you make it sound.

The bolded comment is actually a joke... are you saying after spending 600m, we should be satisfied going to Brighton to get beat? Go to Palace and Villa and play for the draw? Get 0 out of Spurs and be embarrassed ? The team is good enough to at least compete with any team in the PL, the issue is the coach.

Would you have said FC Twente was a expected home win? But we didn't get it, so there is proof that this team cannot do what is expected, so we could lose the next 3. There is no evidence this season that this team can beat any team above us in the league.

How can you be satisfied with not competing with any of the top 7 teams?

I'm confident we can avoid relegation but if our current form persists for another month or two it's hard to see how we break into the 10 top by season's end.

Settle down now.

What on earth?