Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Im unsure what you are debating here.
I am only saying we have categorically not had a 'decent' run of fixtures.

Have we had a tricky run of fixtures? Yes. Should we have gathered more points in spite of that? Yes.

My view is there's around 4 more points we should really have picked up especially with how the games went.

What is your point?

It's fascinating seeing you indirectly defend Ten Hag at every turn. A few weeks ago you were claiming it's too early to make judgements. Since then I've read you claim we've had tricky fixtures, unlucky not to get more points, and defend our tactics.

If you weren't pretending otherwise it would seem like you fully back the manager you just don't want to say it.

I think they are tricky ties irrespective. I think a Liverpool fan would take a look at them 3 and think, okay that's a trickier set.

Funnily enough I spoke to a Liverpool fan at work today and they said Arsenal Brighton Villa in their next few games are very difficult.

I bet they told you you're spot on about Ten Hag too and how we need to keep him no matter what :lol:

I’m wondering if Ineos have a manager ready to start next season. Who is in his last season at his current club. That’s the only reason I can think of, why TH hasn’t had the boot. This could be down to not having the funds to pay the other club for their manager now, maybe.

He's seemingly under no pressure, and gives his interviews telling everyone he's under no pressure. The whole footballing world thought he'd get sacked but, yet again, his confidence is not misplaced. Why? Only he and Ineos knows why, and he's looking like a man under no pressure at all with the way he's talking. The rest of what I've said is true too, a number of signings still have his fingerprints all over them, more Dutch coaches have been brought in etc. I don't know what was written into his contract that gave him this sort of power to begin with, but he's still under the same contract.
Dude, he'll be sacked within 3 games if they are all defeats. Chill out.

There is another decently rated manager on the bench right next to him if there is no perfect permanent replacement at the time. The notion that Ineos will just sit and watch their investment (and reputation) just slide down the shitter for an entire season is for the birds.

Dude, he'll be sacked within 3 games if they are all defeats. Chill out.

There is another decently rated manager on the bench right next to him if there is no perfect permanent replacement at the time. The notion that Ineos will just sit and watch their investment (and reputation) just slide down the shitter for an entire season is for the birds.

First off, there's absolutely no evidence that what you are saying is true. Quite the opposite.

Secondly, why 3 defeats? Is that how low the bar is now? What if we played absolutely terrible but robbed 3 points in each game, is that good enough? Even though it will be obvious we're on a downward trend. I don't believe he's in the hot water you and others are making out. Just listen to him, he knows he's Teflon for whatever reason.

so what happens if he beats Brentford? He stays
What happens if he draws or loses in unlucky circumstances?
Then they'll say he might get sacked after the next game, and so on. In reality they don't have a clue.

I'm pretty sure he's going nowhere though. They don't want to spend the money.

I’m wondering if Ineos have a manager ready to start next season. Who is in his last season at his current club. That’s the only reason I can think of, why TH hasn’t had the boot. This could be down to not having the funds to pay the other club for their manager now, maybe.
I think it's much more likely that after failing to get one of their main targets in the summer they decided to double down on Ten Hag and don't want to be seen as stupid for doing so by reacting to a small number of games. I don't think there's some grand plan that we are yet to see come to fruition.

If results don't improve shortly then the league season basically becomes about potentially scrapping for Europa League and the best case scenario then is having Van Nistelrooy as an interim which isn't a huge upgrade anyway. So although I would have sacked Ten Hag in the summer and don't think he's going to turn things around I do understand why they're stuck on what to do and have decided to do nothing for now.

This relegation conversation is nonsense.

But I wonder do people actually know what the phrase "beyond the realms of possibility" means. :confused:

It's fascinating seeing you indirectly defend Ten Hag at every turn. A few weeks ago you were claiming it's too early to make judgements. Since then I've read you claim we've had tricky fixtures, unlucky not to get more points, and defend our tactics.

If you weren't pretending otherwise it would seem like you fully back the manager you just don't want to say it.

He's an obvious troll at this stage. It was the same all of last season

October: "I'll give him till Christmas before I judge"

December: "Too many injuries to judge"

March: "Might as well stick with him till the end of the season"

April: "Wilcox has asked him to change the style of football, he's got till the end of the season now before we judge"

End of season: "Beat City, should get the beginning of next season now"

Beginning of this season: "Fixtures have been too tough to judge, but we did well for 45 minutes against Palace in the nil nil draw. Still too early to judge"

Basically, ignore him because he doesn't have a fecking clue what he's talking about and that's been obvious for a long time.

I bet they told you you're spot on about Ten Hag too and how we need to keep him no matter what :lol:
Why are some posters so obsessed with me not wanting to sack Ten Hag? These replies are the toxicity that mods referred to.

If I write explicity that we should have picked up more points, I am indirectly defending ten hag (I find this so so weird).

If I say a standalone set of certain games are considered tricky by any club, my stance on the manager is thrown into it again.

Cut out the picking on posters and stick to what the sub discussion was about, or don't bother contributing. The playground jibes are tiresome and add no value.

Not quite because we will have Ipswich, Leicester, Everton and Forrest among them. Two newly promoted sides and two sides at the bottom end of the table last season.

Thats quite clearly easier than the first 7.
It's easier but like I said, lose some of them and they suddenly become tricky and we could not have done any better. Just like Palace game is tricky now, despite them being winless in 7 games.

Ipswich away is tougher than Southampton. Forest are also 8 games from now so I did not count them in. It's:

- Brentford - basically equal to Fulham
- West Ham - equal to Brighton
- Leicester - potentially easier than any games we've had so far
- Ipswich - equal to Southampton, probably harder
- Chelsea - equal to Spurs
- Everton - equal to Palace
- Arsenal - tougher than any games we've had so far

I really don't see a massive difference. Leicester replacing Villa is obviously hugely helpful but if we don't win 3-4 of these games I'm 100% the tune will change and it will suddenly become a tough, tricky run.

First off, there's absolutely no evidence that what you are saying is true. Quite the opposite.

Secondly, why 3 defeats? Is that how low the bar is now? What if we played absolutely terrible but robbed 3 points in each game, is that good enough? Even though it will be obvious we're on a downward trend. I don't believe he's in the hot water you and others are making out. Just listen to him, he knows he's Teflon for whatever reason.
What evidence are you expecting at this stage? They haven't even been at the club for a year. They clearly strongly considered booting him in the summer even though their actual footballing management structure was not fully in place at the time. Then when they don't sack him at their first opportunity after that - 7 games into the season - you take that as evidence that he will never be sacked and has some kind of highly influential role over and above that of manager/head coach? Why on earth would they have been very publicly tapping up other managers if they though he was that good?

The 3 defeats thing was just an example to counter all this crap I'm reading about how the fact that he hasn't been sacked yet means that he is clearly here for the season. Crikey, a heavy defeat against Brentford could be the straw that breaks the camel's back, and that's just 3 days away!

It's easier but like I said, lose some of them and they suddenly become tricky and we could not have done any better. Just like Palace game is tricky now, despite them being winless in 7 games.
I never said Palace is tricky, just that they are a stubborn side at home that was sandwiched between the tricky ones.

They aren't a rollover side on paper that Leicester, Everton, Ipswich or Southampton would be.

And no, the next 7 is much better than the first 7. Irrespective of how we perform. It's on us to pick up points.

I think they are tricky ties irrespective. I think a Liverpool fan would take a look at them 3 and think, okay that's a trickier set.

Funnily enough I spoke to a Liverpool fan at work today and they said Arsenal Brighton Villa in their next few games are very difficult.
And yet you'd back them to get 6 points from those 3 games. Throw Spurs at home in there and you'd back them to get 9...

We got 3rd ahead of Liverpool, Spurs, Villa and Brighton just 17 months ago....
Now you make exuses for why it's not unacceptable to get 1 point and 1-8 in goaldiff in that run of fixtures.
A tricky fixture doesn't mean it's ok to lose 3-0 at home twice in a row. We've scored 2 goals total in the league this season in the 6 games we've not played Southampton.

We haven't been this bad since the 80's, maybe we even need to go back to the 70's to find us playing at the level we're playing right now. The quality of ETH's managing here the last 17 months must be the weakest stuff we've seen in the top 5 leagues the last couple of decades with the resources he's been given. Rock bottom stuff.

And yet you'd back them to get 6 points from those 3 games. Throw Spurs at home in there and you'd back them to get 9...

We got 3rd ahead of Liverpool, Spurs, Villa and Brighton just 17 months ago....
Now you make exuses for why it's not unacceptable to get 1 points and 1-8 in goaldiff in that run of fixtures.
A tricky fixtures doesn't mean it's ok to lose 3-0 at home twice in a row. We've scored 2 goals in the league this season in the 6 games we've not played Southampton.

We haven't been this bad since the 80's, maybe we even need to go back to the 70's to find us playing at the level we're playing right now. The quality of ETH's managing here the last 17 months must be the weakest stuff we've seen in the top 5 leagues the last couple of decades with the resources he's been given. Rock bottom stuff.
Right and I said a lot of posts ago that we should have taken more points irrespective of the run in the first 7.

My point was just that they weren't "decent" fixtures. Thats all. Nothing else.

What evidence are you expecting at this stage? They haven't even been at the club for a year. They clearly strongly considered booting him in the summer even though their actual footballing management structure was not fully in place at the time. Then when they don't sack him at their first opportunity after that - 7 games into the season - you take that as evidence that he will never be sacked and has some kind of highly influential role over and above that of manager/head coach? Why on earth would they have been very publicly tapping up other managers if they though he was that good?

The 3 defeats thing was just an example to counter all this crap I'm reading about how the fact that he hasn't been sacked yet means that he is clearly here for the season. Crikey, a heavy defeat against Brentford could be the straw that breaks the camel's back, and that's just 3 days away!

It's the fact that they had a good list of available managers in the summer, many of them they actually spoke to, but they decided to stick with him. Right now, or in the summer, that list only looks shorter and shorter as most of them have new jobs. So what are people expecting them to do? Go for their 5th or 6th choice from the previous summer? I just can't see it happening. And I don't see any new options, bar Southgate, who will suddenly be available. They've backed themselves into a corner on this one.

And I also can't see them sacking him after Brentford, no matter what. If he's on that fine a knife edge then it would have made more sense to do it now. So logic dictates that he's not actually that close to being sacked at all, as they themselves know he's liable to lose any game coming up. And they've seemingly accepted that and allowed it to go on.

can’t wait to see Ten Hag’s fuming face on Saturday when we ship a 3rd goal against Brentford after being 2 up.

Why are some posters so obsessed with me not wanting to sack Ten Hag? These replies are the toxicity that mods referred to.

If I write explicity that we should have picked up more points, I am indirectly defending ten hag (I find this so so weird).

If I say a standalone set of certain games are considered tricky by any club, my stance on the manager is thrown into it again.

Cut out the picking on posters and stick to what the sub discussion was about, or don't bother contributing. The playground jibes are tiresome and add no value.

It's because your excuses are tiring to read. You seemingly can't just call it for what it is. Weren't you fully on the Ole out train too? I was with you on that one, I just don't understand why you've suddenly moved the goalposts so much for somebody that means sod all to Manchester United in the long run. He's not got even an ounce of the rapport with United supporters that Ole had, but you'll defend him to the end. The sooner you hold your hands up and say he's not the guy and enough is enough, everyone will stop feeling the need to respond to your posts like they do.

It's because your excuses are tiring to read. You seemingly can't just call it for what it is. Weren't you fully on the Ole out train too? I was with you on that one, I just don't understand why you've suddenly moved the goalposts so much for somebody that means sod all to Manchester United in the long run. He's not got even an ounce of the rapport with United supporters that Ole had, but you'll defend him to the end. The sooner you hold your hands up and say he's not the guy and enough is enough, everyone will stop feeling the need to respond to your posts like they do.
What am I excusing? This is getting too much. I'm not excusing shit. I literally said that we should have picked up points.

I didn't move any goalposts. Someone said we haven't had a tricky set of first 7 fixtures and they were decent. I said they were actually tricky. That's all. There is no excusing so stop trying to pick on posters for no reason.

He's an obvious troll at this stage. It was the same all of last season

October: "I'll give him till Christmas before I judge"

December: "Too many injuries to judge"

March: "Might as well stick with him till the end of the season"

April: "Wilcox has asked him to change the style of football, he's got till the end of the season now before we judge"

End of season: "Beat City, should get the beginning of next season now"

Beginning of this season: "Fixtures have been too tough to judge, but we did well for 45 minutes against Palace in the nil nil draw. Still too early to judge"

Basically, ignore him because he doesn't have a fecking clue what he's talking about and that's been obvious for a long time.
So what, or are people not allowed to have different opinions from the majority without being castigated or insulted for it? Or have the freedom to change their stance?

There are far too many posters willing to pile in, in quite a toxic and nasty way if someone disagrees. This isn't X.

This is like waking up after a dream where we aren't managed by an absolute cockwomble, remembering that we are, checking the news and confirming that he's still hanging around like the shit on your leg that you swear you hosed down last night before you lay down in your Mr Blobby racecar bed. The mold hanging from above that gently floats down into your mouth leaves a bitter taste, and you find yourself coughing more often because the thought of Ten Hag managing our club for another game makes the third lump in your ballsack throb more than usual. And to top it all off the police are at your door again, thumping away, and it's preventing you from reading the latest exclusive from Jamie Jackson. I don't even have the energy to kick my cats after all of that.

:lol: Brilliant

Sorry but you're one of the top poster in this thread no one is hounding you down, because you post so much your series of posts are more than relevant for comment. You've done this dance before in this thread.

As i mentioned you said it was too soon as recent as late September, given you believe the fixtures were tricky and we were lucky not to get more points why do you even claim to think he should go?

It doesn't add up and when nearly every post of yours is a defence people will rightly assume you're just trying to be discreet. As many of you did last season. Pointing this out isn't picking on you, it's responding to your very posts in this thread.

This is like waking up after a dream where we aren't managed by an absolute cockwomble, remembering that we are, checking the news and confirming that he's still hanging around like the shit on your leg that you swear you hosed down last night before you lay down in your Mr Blobby racecar bed. The mold hanging from above that gently floats down into your mouth leaves a bitter taste, and you find yourself coughing more often because the thought of Ten Hag managing our club for another game makes the third lump in your ballsack throb more than usual. And to top it all off the police are at your door again, thumping away, and it's preventing you from reading the latest exclusive from Jamie Jackson. I don't even have the energy to kick my cats after all of that.
I haven't laughed that much in a while. Brilliant!

It's the fact that they had a good list of available managers in the summer, many of them they actually spoke to, but they decided to stick with him. Right now, or in the summer, that list only looks shorter and shorter as most of them have new jobs. So what are people expecting them to do? Go for their 5th or 6th choice from the previous summer? I just can't see it happening. And I don't see any new options, bar Southgate, who will suddenly be available. They've backed themselves into a corner on this one.

And I also can't see them sacking him after Brentford, no matter what. If he's on that fine a knife edge then it would have made more sense to do it now. So logic dictates that he's not actually that close to being sacked at all, as they themselves know he's liable to lose any game coming up. And they've seemingly accepted that and allowed it to go on.
You talk about logic, but you aren't actually displaying any. Just because, for whatever reason, Ineos gave him the benefit of the doubt in the summer does not - logically - infer that they still think he's the bees knees, or even that they thought that at the time. Logic suggests that they are highly doubtful about him given that we know they have sounded out multiple managers, and given Ratcliffe's distinct lack of public backing for Ten Hag when specifically asked about him. I agree that the list of possible replacements has dwindled, and I also agree that in an ideal world they would have pulled the trigger during this last week - but I genuinely doubt that they are satisfied with the current situation and are prepared for that to continue. United do tend to have an infuriating tendency to stick with managers till the bitter end, but often the situation becomes obviously untenable for all concerned - like I say that point could come at the weekend. If he does manage to keep limping on until the next international break doing just enough but not showing a marked improvement then my guess is they will sack him then.

It's the notion that Ineos will be happy to see this continue for a whole season that I find hard to believe. Similarly the comments that I've read about Ineos not wanting to spend money on sacking him - like, they've spent over a billion on buying a 25% stake in the club, I serious doubt that a few million quid is going to prevent them taking action if there is no sudden (and sizeable) upturn in results.

Why do match-going fans like this guy so much? Also, why don't match-going fans (who actually have decent understanding how fecked this guy has gotten us) have any balls to show their emotions regarding him? The overly-acceting fan-culture is destroying this club. Wouldn't be acceptable or seen in any other country with decent football culture. Sad.

Who's fault is it that you now consider Brighton, Villa and Spurs tricky fixtures irrespective of home/away?
We got 1 point from those 4 fixtures. We lost both homefixtures 3-0.

1 point and 1-8 in goaldifference.

It doesn't matter if you concider them tricky. It is unacceptable!

Its funny how standards have dropped so much that people think its acceptable and normal to lose 3-0 at home to Liverpool, Spurs because they are tricky fixtures.

If you ask any other PL fan, be it Southampton, Leicester they would be upset at losing at home 3-0 consecutively to these teams. Even if its Liverpool, they expect the team to put up a fight, if they then lose its fine.

Here we have Manutd fans saying... oh getting embarrassed at home is fine because they are tricky fixtures.

I dont care what team we have, what manager we have, we should not be excusing battering's at home as a oh its okay because those clubs are in the top 6.

Sorry but you're one of the top poster in this thread no one is hounding you down, because you post so much your series of posts are more than relevant for comment. You've done this dance before in this thread.

As i mentioned you said it was too soon as recent as late September, given you believe the fixtures were tricky and we were lucky not to get more points why do you even claim to think he should go?

It doesn't add up and when nearly every post of yours is a defence people will rightly assume you're just trying to be discreet. As many of you did last season. Pointing this out isn't picking on you, it's responding to your very posts in this thread.
I took a few days of posting less on this thread because of the toxicity. What you've done is literally pick on me because you've taken posts where I am not excusing the manager, just talking about a fixture list. I've explicitly stated we should have picked up more in spite of a trickier set, and you have tried to tie in my view on back/sack and create a narrative that is irrelevant to what I posted about.

That is picking on posters and it's toxic as feck. Just respect opinions and stick to relevant content in the debate. It shouldn't be hard, it's starting to feel like cyber bullying right now, especially with the made up shit and name calling @pocco has come out with.

I thought the same last season, put it down to the takeover happening and a power vacuum leaving no one in place to make a decision.

1 year on and there's still no one willing to make a decision it seems. By the time they eventually do pull the trigger top 4 will be a mountain to climb.

I just think people are jumping to silly conclusions that because he hasn’t been sacked now or because Tuchel has taken another job that ETH will be here all season.

We saw this before with Ole where he survived an international break and was then was gone after a defeat in the next game. ETH is most likely keeping his job based on the assumption there is going to be drastic improvement very quickly. It’s much less likely he is just going to keep his job until the end of the season irrespective of results.