Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't disagree with any of this. The question at this moment is what are the options to replace him with right now that would salvage a better season than what ETH is capable of.

Honestly, I think most options would improve the club. The issue is that we don't want to employ a Manager that will take us to simply top 6 level, they have 'ambition' of making us title challengers. So by that notion, they need a Manager that has that potential. Having a stepping stone Manager doesn't fit with their time frame. They've painted themselves into a corner by making that ambition public. I do think we'd have a list of suitors who would fill in as a Caretaker until the Summer.

Remember, this is a Manager who's best win in the PL is probably Villa away since the City 2:1 win on Jan 14, 2023. We simply cannot beat any decent team and we lost on a consistent basis. Either we have a shit squad of players or the Manager is terrible. I'm hoping it's the second option.

I expected him to survive, tbh.

Not overly fussed about the decision.

He's probably gonna get sacked eventually, but there has been improvement on last season, and not pulling the trigger now doesn't really equal "throwing the season away", despite a lot of posters pushing that narrative.

What improvement exactly?

He's probably gonna get sacked eventually, but there has been improvement on last season, and not pulling the trigger now doesn't really equal "throwing the season away", despite a lot of posters pushing that narrative.
Could go either way. We could get worse and be further behind the top halve teams. Or the very unlikely situation is he turns it around and starts winning games. Can’t see it though. We might beat Brentford but then we probably lose to Fenerbache and West Ham.

I love it when people like you get this enraged about some opinions they read on a club forum, does that count?
Another side step. Rather go around in circles than simply say what you love/like about the club.

Absolute volumes. Now it all makes sense.

Defensively. Not getting bombarded with shots. But we still can’t score goals and attack properly.
Ah yes. Just the 3 occasions for far this season we’ve conceded 3 goals in a single game. Progresh.

Fall for winning the FA Cup and beating your city rival.

How dare the fans celebrate that!
SAF mocked City being obsessed by us. It seems it turned around. We are the small club now, celebrating beating a city rival.

I am not sure fans would have been so euphorical about ETH if we beat another team in the final, let’s say Newcastle.

What is the likelihood that ETH gets to see out this season but we will part ways with him at the end of the season via a pre-agreement ala Tuchel/Bayern?

I don't know what to say anymore. Thought the injuries last season played a significant part to how the season turned out but after 7 games being similar to last season....I don't know man. Can't see him turning things around. Hope he does.

I don't disagree with any of this. The question at this moment is what are the options to replace him with right now that would salvage a better season than what ETH is capable of.

Or what are the options to replace him that allow the club to be in a better position to audit the current situation and take the best decision in the short to mid term. That's why I would mind the likes of Allegri, Tuchel or last summer Valverde, mid to long term their feedback could be as valuable as finishing 5th or 6th, those are managers that have actually managed at the highest level for more than one season.

Arsenal said literally the same about there manager, he turned it around.

Doesn't mean ETH will, but it shows it is possible. You fail to look at how far the squad has changed in 2 years. I'm willing to see it through because even if he doesn't work out, he will still be leaving the squad in a damn good place.
Arteta was a 37 year old rookie head coach who took over an Arsenal team that hadn't won a PL or European trophy since 2004.

While I respect the job that Arteta has done there, it will be 5 full seasons without winning the league if they don't get over the line this season.

It's literally been linear progression. Or as close to it as you can get.

19/20: 56points (33 points earned by Arteta)
20/21: 61 points
21/22: 69 points
22/23: 84 points
23/24: 89 points

19/20: +8 GD
20/21: +16 GD
21/22: +13 GD
22/23: +45 GD
23/24: +62 GD

19/20: 7 clean sheets
20/21: 12 clean sheets
21/22: 13 clean sheets
22/23: 14 clean sheets
23/24: 18 clean sheets

ten Hag turns 55 early next year. He's not a young head coach like Arteta, Iraola, McKenna and Hürzeler.

Arteta has spent/been given approximately €790 million worth of signings across 10 transfers windows. ten Hag has already spent/been given roughly €660 million across 5 transfer windows.

Honestly, I think most options would improve the club. The issue is that we don't want to employ a Manager that will take us to simply top 6 level, they have 'ambition' of making us title challengers. So by that notion, they need a Manager that has that potential. Having a stepping stone Manager doesn't fit with their time frame. They've painted themselves into a corner by making that ambition public. I do think we'd have a list of suitors who would fill in as a Caretaker until the Summer.

Remember, this is a Manager who's best win in the PL is probably Villa away since the City 2:1 win on Jan 14, 2023. We simply cannot beat any decent team and we lost on a consistent basis. Either we have a shit squad of players or the Manager is terrible. I'm hoping it's the second option.

My main two issues with not sacking now are that the fan base have already broken up with ETH now, so even if he were to win a few games, the moment we have a bad result the "sack him now" sentiment would return in full force. That's simply not a viable way to run the club for the rest of this year, as it would irrevocably fray the relationship between the fanbase and owners/executive team, which is not a productive path for either side to go down.

The second issue is related to the possibility that we plod on and finish as high as fifth, alongside another piece of cup silverware, at which point we would be back to square one with ETH triumphantly boasting about yet another cup win and how he plans to continue the building process over the summer with yet more transfers in preparation for a potential run at a CL spot next year.

That's why its best to get rid now and go with Ruud, since ETH's style and demeanor are never going to get us where we want to be.

Can we stop with Arteta comparisons? It never got as bad for Arsenal in the league with home. Many of ten Hag’s acolytes seem to be willing to excuse league form at any cost if it means winning a cup (which might not even happen this season the way things are going). Would Arsenal even consider signing ten Hag as their head coach in an alternative universe? I think we all know the answer.

Considering that most of the squad members have been available to him over the past 11 games, it's a pretty low bar if you consider this improvement.

We had 9 points after 7 games at this point last season. -4 GD.

Now it's 8 points after 7 games. -3 GD.

2 points better off in Europa than at this point last season. But it's a lower tier than The CL. Bayern last season vs Twente this season.

No, and now we're all on tenterhooks waiting to hear you answer your own brilliant question - what do you love about the club you claim to support. And if you could be specific about what you love about the club in 2024 even better.
You were asked a very very simple question.

One which 99% of football fans can answer, whether they support Real Madrid, Crawley Town or Weymouth (@Rolandofgilead).

You can’t say anything you love about the club you apparently support and care about.

How pathetic.

You were asked a very very simple question.

One which 99% of football fans can answer, whether they support Real Madrid, Crawley Town or Weymouth (@Rolandofgilead).

You can’t say anything you love about the club you apparently support and care about.

How pathetic.
I'm not sure there's much I can say I 'love' about United to be fair. Seems like quite a juvenile view. I enjoy when we win and am frustrated when we lose, but to say I love x, y, and z would seem a bit extreme to me. I, of course, like that there's a history to the club, the whole SAF legacy, the fact it's not a Tory right wing club, etc. But to say I love all that would come across as a bit saccharine. Maybe I'm just a bit of a dry fish though.

What do you love? It might give me ideas on what I could love about us.

what do you love about the club you claim to support.

That which takes place out of love always takes place beyond good and evil. - Pat Benatar

Love is a battle field. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Bod gless popy and caste

My main two issues with not sacking now are that the fan base have already broken up with ETH now, so even if he were to win a few games, the moment we have a bad result the "sack him now" sentiment would return in full force. That's simply not a viable way to run the club for the rest of this year, as it would irrevocably fray the relationship between the fanbase and owners/executive team, which is not a productive path for either side to go down.

The second issue is related to the possibility that we plod on and finish as high as fifth, alongside another piece of cup silverware, at which point we would be back to square one with ETH triumphantly boasting about yet another cup win and how he plans to continue the building process over the summer with yet more transfers in preparation for a potential run at a CL spot next year.

That's why its best to get rid now and go with Ruud, since ETH's style and demeanor are never going to get us where we want to be.
I am jealous of your optimism, I cannot see ETH getting us to finish much above where we are, 8th would be a stretch, and unless we get a very favourable cup run again I struggle to see us winning silverware this season under ETH,

TBH I look at the prem and think genuinely which team would I risk a £5 bet on us beating, home or away and there are none, I wouldn't even waste a £1 bet on us getting a win against any other team under ETH

I'm not sure there's much I can say I 'love' about United to be fair. Seems like quite a juvenile view. I enjoy when we win and am frustrated when we lose, but to say I love x, y, and z would seem a bit extreme to me. I, of course, like that there's a history to the club, the whole SAF legacy, the fact it's not a Tory right wing club, etc. But to say I love all that would come across as a bit saccharine. Maybe I'm just a bit of a dry fish though.

I had the same reflection and wondered if I understood the point of the question. I know why I fell in love with the club but none of these things are true today.

Looks like more shit on a stick football to watch now for next few weeks.

We basically rely on getting the ball out to rashford or garnacho cut in and have a shot on goal.

Must be up there worst team to watch in league.

Dire stuff.

I had the same reflection and wondered if I understood the point of the question. I know why I fell in love with the club but none of these things are true today.

Exactly. I know what I loved going to watch United for the first time in 1997 and in the 15 years or so thereafter.

But now? Feck all to like except some of the players.

"Dramatic news" around MU sells and they know it. Even if they know it is based on lies and just pure bs, they will post it. Because it will still get clicks and that's all they care about.
Yes that's it. Will need to edit the term to sex and dramatic Man United news sells..

I don't disagree with any of this. The question at this moment is what are the options to replace him with right now that would salvage a better season than what ETH is capable of

Unless they think the squad isn't good enough to beat Brighton, Crystal Palace & FC Twente, not get seriously outplayed by Spurs (at Old Trafford) and see out a 2-goal lead against Porto then surely they have to realize keeping ten hag is untenable

What does "get behind the manager" actually mean? I've seen that a few times in here.

Does it mean hope that the club wins every game it's in? I agree with that but it doesn't have much to do with the manager. Singing loudly when in the stadium? Again not much to do with the manager.

If I do those things but still believe he's a mile below the standard we need and discuss it on a Man Utd forum when proven right continuously does that discredit the above?

Overall I agree that wanting to lose is counter intuitive and even at Villa when the game kicks off I can't help but hope we score every minute. I don't look down on those who felt differently though.

What improvement exactly?
To be fair, our performances have improved a small amount based on how unbelievably, ridiculously shit we were last season. Mostly due to the fact that our midfield isn't quite as open and easy to cut through. But that's more in the sense that this has been a 2/10 season so far instead of a 0/10 like last season was (bar the FA Cup).

Now obviously a 2/10 season isn't anywhere near good enough and shouldn't be acceptable, but because there has been an 'improvement' it seems to have given some people a defence for ETH and willingness to see more. "If he improved us this much he'll continue improving us", ignoring that the only reason our standards are so low is because of his utter incompetence and clearly broken tactics of last season.

No come on now, please dont dodge this very very simple question. A brilliant mind came up with it.

There we go. Simple. @BD understood and just answered what he thought. History, Sir Alex, not right wing. Fine.

No right or wrong answer. No hidden agenda to trip you up. Just an honest opinion.

It’s weird you can’t say anything @hobbers. Just say you don’t love/like the club anymore if that’s the case and have done with it.

The point of the question was to find out what the poster likes about the club. It’s not particularly complicated and I just wanted some honesty.

What does "get behind the manager" actually mean? I've seen that a few times in here.

Does it mean hope that the club wins every game it's in? I agree with that but it doesn't have much to do with the manager. Singing loudly when in the stadium? Again not much to do with the manager.

If I do those things but still believe he's a mile below the standard we need and discuss it on a Man Utd forum when proven right continuously does that discredit the above?

Overall I agree that wanting to lose is counter intuitive and even at Villa when the game kicks off I can't help but hope we score every minute. I don't look down on those who felt differently though.
It means be quiet, don't criticise and definitely ignore all negative aspects of the manager.

Win or lose, we're on the booze! Yanited together.

I honestly don't care if people want us to lose a game or two if they genuinely think it's for the greater good. Short term pain for long term gain, etc.

The point of the question was to find out what the poster likes about the club. It’s not particularly complicated and I just wanted some honesty.

Again that's more complicated than you seem to believe, which is why I asked for your own answer. That way we can all see what you actually think but for some reason you don't want to entertain a genuine conversation.

They are owners and have every right to keep him but shame that we will not hear why exactly they decided that. I would love to know how "best people in business" think. To learn something.....

It's a thought-terminating cliche that means "shut up and consume product!"