Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
The echo chamber of hysteria here is all too much.

Needy bunch of feckers. How do you all survive in life :lol:
If only we were all as stoic and composed as you huh? Get of your fecking high horse.

God forbid people are pissed off with what we've seen over the last 18 months.

What does "get behind the manager" actually mean? I've seen that a few times in here.

Does it mean hope that the club wins every game it's in? I agree with that but it doesn't have much to do with the manager. Singing loudly when in the stadium? Again not much to do with the manager.

If I do those things but still believe he's a mile below the standard we need and discuss it on a Man Utd forum when proven right continuously does that discredit the above?

Overall I agree that wanting to lose is counter intuitive and even at Villa when the game kicks off I can't help but hope we score every minute. I don't look down on those who felt differently though.

It means that the person stating it wants you to know that they are a better supporter which is true if they support the manager and not necessarily true if they support the club.

To be fair, our performances have improved a small amount based on how unbelievably, ridiculously shit we were last season. Mostly due to the fact that our midfield isn't quite as open and easy to cut through. But that's more in the sense that this has been a 2/10 season so far instead of a 0/10 like last season was (bar the FA Cup).

Now obviously a 2/10 season isn't anywhere near good enough and shouldn't be acceptable, but because there has been an 'improvement' it seems to have given some people a defence for ETH and willingness to see more. "If he improved us this much he'll continue improving us", ignoring that the only reason our standards are so low is because of his utter incompetence and clearly broken tactics of last season.
Are you sure ?
We are 14th .. 7 points from 8 games..
We have 25 points from the last 20 games ..
Southampton were unlucky that they missed the penalty , else I don't know if we would have won that game
Spurs ,Liverpool hammered us at home...We still have to play against City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Newcastle twice
We posed no threat at Villa , except that Bruno freekick
We gavaway 2 goal lead in Porto and 1 goal in Twente
Our only chance of scoring goal is via Rashford and he is nowhere around the goal scoring areas ..

It means that person stating it wants you to know that they are a better supporter which is true if they support the manager and not necessarily true if they support the club.

Oh well that's good. As long as it makes them happy.

I definitely am a terrible supporter of ETH FC

Again that's more complicated than you seem to believe, which is why I asked for your own answer. That way we can all see what you actually think but for some reason you don't want to entertain a genuine conversation.

Okay I’ll give in to the classic not answer the question but ask the other person the same thing game.

They are my home team so there’s a connection. I have memories of being around Old Trafford as a little kid, being bought my first kit and hanging around post match to get autographs. It’s sentimental to me in that sense.

I love what the club was built on. Resilience and courage. I love how that has always shown through on the pitch. Fantastic fight backs when the top of English football, and even when we aren’t. Those moments. Ole v Bayern in ‘99, Amad v Liverpool in ‘23.

I love the foundation of youth. The history of it all. From the Babes and the tragedy of Munich to the same traditionalism we have now in young players and opportunity. Rare in an era of money and modernism.

I love the fans. Passionate, honest, loyal, gritty.

I could go on but yeah from the top of my head.

Okay I’ll give in to the classic not answer the question but ask the other person the same thing game.

They are my home team so there’s a connection. I have memories of being around Old Trafford as a little kid, being bought my first kit and hanging around post match to get autographs. It’s sentimental to me in that sense.

I love what the club was built on. Resilience and courage. I love how that has always shown through on the pitch. Fantastic fight backs when the top of English football, and even when we aren’t. Those moments. Ole v Bayern in ‘99, Amad v Liverpool in ‘23.

I love the foundation of youth. The history of it all. From the Babes and the tragedy of Munich to the same traditionalism we have now in young players and opportunity. Rare in an era of money and modernism.

ChatGBT is great.

I expected him to survive, tbh.

Not overly fussed about the decision.

He's probably gonna get sacked eventually, but there has been improvement on last season, and not pulling the trigger now doesn't really equal "throwing the season away", despite a lot of posters pushing that narrative.
60 mins vs palace?

If he’s staying, then just get behind him and the team rather than hoping to see your club lose and have him sack. Get your priorities right, no?
I will get behind them with all my heart and passion. Until they lose.

We're reached Top Red stage again. If history is anything to go by at least it means that Ten Hag will be gone within about a month.

To be fair, our performances have improved a small amount based on how unbelievably, ridiculously shit we were last season. Mostly due to the fact that our midfield isn't quite as open and easy to cut through. But that's more in the sense that this has been a 2/10 season so far instead of a 0/10 like last season was (bar the FA Cup).

Now obviously a 2/10 season isn't anywhere near good enough and shouldn't be acceptable, but because there has been an 'improvement' it seems to have given some people a defence for ETH and willingness to see more. "If he improved us this much he'll continue improving us", ignoring that the only reason our standards are so low is because of his utter incompetence and clearly broken tactics of last season.

We've played 11 games this season including cup games and community shield. We won 3 (Fulham, Southhampton, and Barnsley), drew 4 (Crystal Palace, FC Twente, Aston Villa, and Porto), and lost 4 (City, Liverpool, Brighton and Tottenham). That's a win rate of 27%, a PPG of 1.27, and a goal diff of +4 (thanks to Barnsley).

If we look at across all games last season, starting with the Wolves game on 2023-08-14 and ending with the Final against City on 2024-05-25, our win rate is 48% (25/52), our total goal diff is 3 ( :lol: ), and our PPG is 1.6.

Last season was pathetic, the start of this season is even more pathetic. I feel like I'm making the same post over and over, but we've been terrible for the last 65 games, and we're at one of our lowest points right now under ETH.

Would be surprised if Sam got this wrong, given supposed links between fan channel and Ten Hag’s agency.

Third season in..... aaaaany minute now!

If INEOS cant be bothered, why should the fans. feck this.

Are you sure ?
We are 14th .. 7 points from 8 games..
We have 25 points from the last 20 games ..
Southampton were unlucky that they missed the penalty , else I don't know if we would have won that game
Spurs ,Liverpool hammered us at home...We still have to play against City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Newcastle twice
We posed no threat at Villa , except that Bruno freekick
We gavaway 2 goal lead in Porto and 1 goal in Twente
Our only chance of scoring goal is via Rashford and he is nowhere around the goal scoring areas ..
I think there have been a couple of games this season where our general performance deserved a better result than what we got, but our attack just isn't firing (which does come back on ETH to some extent, but not completely). Whereas last season (mostly in the first half of the season) we actually fluked quite a lot of results that we really had no right getting, so finished significantly higher than we really deserved. It's the kind of thing that normally evens out over the course of the season, but last season it ended up working in our favour quite heavily whereas this season so far we've been on the slightly unfortunate side.

Basically, last season we deserved to finish 14th-15th. This season so far I feel we probably should be about 10th or 11th. Yay, progress!

Looks like we’ll have to wait a few more weeks. Let’s hope Ruud is ready or those Carrick rumours are true. Atleast he plays good football.

Poor Ten Hag, second holiday he has had the prospect of being sacked looming over him. Should have been sacked the first time.
I dont think he's being hard done by much :lol:

He's getting to vacation amidst a professional crisis, not many get that luxury when underperforming.

If he ends up getting sacked during or after, he'll get a massive pay-out, if not he gets to keep a job that's out of his depth.

Either way, he really doesn't have it all that bad in the grand scheme of things especially in this climate.

Okay I see, that's why I wanted to know what you had in mind. I share most of the things that you listed but that's why I fell in love with United not why I love the club today because if I'm being honest I am firmly in the till death do us part portion. Most of these things aren't true today, they don't define the club in 2024. To me there is an historic/romantic answer and today's truth each would lead to two different feelings.

SAF mocked City being obsessed by us. It seems it turned around. We are the small club now, celebrating beating a city rival.

I am not sure fans would have been so euphorical about ETH if we beat another team in the final, let’s say Newcastle.
They were arguably the best team in the world, what’s not to like?

A proper performance review would be

-We are a Joshua Zirkzee run into the box and Onana saving a penalty from having 0 wins and being only on 4 points

-We had leads in both our Europa matches that we couldn't build on and lost those leads and were outplayed in both matches

-Spurs and Liverpool have scored more than we have scored in the League and Europa combined at Old Trafford this season

-Brentford in 1 match scored as many as we have all season in the league

-Newly promoted Leicester and Ipswich have scored more goals than us in the league.

-Our goals conceded is skewed by the fact that we have played Palace and Southampton who are the only 2 clubs worse at scoring than us.

-The worst team in the league Wolves has 4 more goals scored than us

-Our best match was against a side 2 leagues below us
Oh, oh, always love myself some hypothetical nonsense. Let me do this too!

- We were just a Garnacho open goal miss or a couple of Bruno one-on-ones misses away from securing a 3-0 victory against Fulham.

- We were only a Maguire hesitation on a simple clearance and a couple of very freakish offsides away from 2-1 win against Brighton.

- We were a Garnacho shot off the bar or a Bruno effort rattling the crossbar away from winning over Crystal Palace by 1-0 or even 2-0.

- We were a Bruno free-kick hitting the bar away from taking a 1-0 win against Aston Villa.

This is too easy!

Okay I see, that's why I wanted to know what you had in mind. I share most of the things that you listed but that's why I fell in love with United not why I love the club today because if I'm being honest I am firmly in the till death do us part portion. Most of these things aren't true today, they don't define the club in 2024. To me there is an historic/romantic answer and today's truth each would lead to two different feelings.
That’s cool and absolutely your view.

I just wish @hobbers could be honest with us all.

Absurd statement number 1 - there is no top top candidate. At this point anyone who isn't delusional and mentally lost is a top candidate. Hell, I'll fecking go coach them. I'll tell the fullbacks to feck off from midfield and I'll bring the lines closer. Boom, improvement.

Absurd statement number 2 - We have easy run?! We make Twente look decent! The only easy run for us would be playing 5 league one teams in a row.

I assumed people meant for our opponents.

I just don't get this reasoning that people put forward, in regard ETH staying, that it will cost the club £17m to get rid of him.

Surely they'll lose a lot more than that finishing mid-table and not qualifying for the CL? What's the minimum a club makes just getting to the group stage these days?

ChatGBT is great.
Cynical much!

My answer would be much along the same lines though I can't really explain why, I made that choice when I was about 4-5 years old, much to the dismay of my City supporting Dad and Granddad

Last edited:
Assuming that things continue as they have for the last 18 mths and things go more south, and then we do end up binning off ETH at the end of this season, then surely in Sir Jim's eyes (as hes delegated all footballing decisions) the position of his superteam of Ashworth, Wilcox et al also becomes untenable. Which makes me wonder why the effing ell would they risk their reputations with the ongoing shitshow with ETH.

For the love of god why do people still use Arteta as a reference! This isn't Ten Hags 2nd season, if it was you may have a point. But by Season 3 Arteta managed the following in his first 11 games (all comps)

8 wins, 1 loss in the PL, 23 scored, 10 conceded.

Arsenal also won both of their opening Europa League fixtures. Resulting in a combined 10 wins, 1 loss. The link between ETH and Arteta is gone. Not only that but even Artetas past form they were still able to score a decent amount of goals, they just conceded a bucket load as well. Arteta managed to fix that in Season 3. Arteta was also always capable of beating better teams, they just never had consistency. ETH has failed over and over again that he cannot beat better teams, he struggles to even draw against them. Just please, please stop.
So because arteta had good start in his 3rd it's okay, despite dropping off later in the season. And even though ETH has had a poor start but has 31 games to recover its too late?

In his first year ETH beat Liverpool Arsenal Spurs and City. Then beat City and Liverpool to win the fa cup, so not sure where you are getting we are not capable of beating bigger teams from. We are the very definition of being able to beat any team but lacking consistency.

And to be explicitly clear, the point isn't that because one manager came good after a period of time it means another will. The point is that both took over mishmash squads with huge magnitudes of problems, both on and off the field, which needed to be rectified. That takes time.

There is no guarantee that with enough time ETH will be successful, but without time any manager almost certainly not succeed.

The newbie ETH support club are quite obviously opposition fab trolls. It's why I suggested this thread should be locked for newbies.
Just because someone doesn't agree with you, doesn't mean they are a troll. Maybe it's just as simple as that - they don't agree with you.

Here is a graph I made a few days ago, of "points per game" averaged over 10 games, for Manchester United since Ten Hag took over, and Arsenal since Arteta took over:

TLA8gWx.jpeg

There are moments of better and worse form, but over time, a direction emerges.
Thanks for sharing this, really interesting . No that doesn't reflect well, fair enough. It hasn't been good enough.

Now is the first time I feel like we have balanced squad. I'd like to give that one season, or more than 7 games at least, to see what they can do.

If they don't sack him it will be because they don't have a viable option to replace him with. Sure they could have Ruud takeover as caretaker for the rest of the year, but would that guarantee better results ? The rest of the top managers are mostly employed right now, so what would be the point. This sort of logic must surely be on the minds of SJR and the rest of the executive team.
It's a mystery!

Eth will write a book in 20yrs and give us his insights.
It's possible there is no big mystery or ulterior motive, maybe they just don't agree with your outlook.

Arteta was a 37 year old rookie head coach who took over an Arsenal team that hadn't won a PL or European trophy since 2004.

While I respect the job that Arteta has done there, it will be 5 full seasons without winning the league if they don't get over the line this season.

It's literally been linear progression. Or as close to it as you can get.

19/20: 56points (33 points earned by Arteta)
20/21: 61 points
21/22: 69 points
22/23: 84 points
23/24: 89 points

19/20: +8 GD
20/21: +16 GD
21/22: +13 GD
22/23: +45 GD
23/24: +62 GD

19/20: 7 clean sheets
20/21: 12 clean sheets
21/22: 13 clean sheets
22/23: 14 clean sheets
23/24: 18 clean sheets

ten Hag turns 55 early next year. He's not a young head coach like Arteta, Iraola, McKenna and Hürzeler.

Arteta has spent/been given approximately €790 million worth of signings across 10 transfers windows. ten Hag has already spent/been given roughly €660 million across 5 transfer windows.
Their age is irrelevant, managers develop and peak differently.

I agree about the money. What we've spent under ETH for what we've got is not good enough. However with transfers out of his hands now it is redundant. Those decisions are not the managers now and won't be moving forward.

I agree that arteta has to get over the line. The comparison comes from (as written above) the situations they came into and how much overhaul was required. That was never going to be quick or easy. Not mention compounded by unprecedented injuries last year. The biggest change from those numbers is between years 3 and 4. Did arteta do anything differently, or is it a culmination of a settled and cohesive squad, with the young players developing being able to execute better.

If you are going to judge a manager over a season, then give him the season.

I keep harping on about it but the profile of the squad is so young. Hojlund Garnacho Diallo as front three have an average age of 21. They are going to be inconsistent and that is going to reflect in our performances and results. That is saka/martinelli of 2 years ago.

We are still playing without a leftback with Shaw/malicia to come back. Deligt Mazzroui and Ugarte are still settling in yet Onana has 4 (the most) clean sheets. There are positives there.

Cynical much!

My answer would be much along the same lines though I can't really explain why, I made that choice when I was about 4-5 years old

For me the chronological answer was that as a kid I was mesmerized by Giggs and loved the narrative around Beckham, Scholes and Neville. I was maybe 6 or 7 years old then I would watch all the VHS or magazines concerning United and fell in love with the pre SAF history of the club.

We've played 11 games this season including cup games and community shield. We won 3 (Fulham, Southhampton, and Barnsley), drew 4 (Crystal Palace, FC Twente, Aston Villa, and Porto), and lost 4 (City, Liverpool, Brighton and Tottenham). That's a win rate of 27%, a PPG of 1.27, and a goal diff of +4 (thanks to Barnsley).

If we look at across all games last season, starting with the Wolves game on 2023-08-14 and ending with the Final against City on 2024-05-25, our win rate is 48% (25/52), our total goal diff is 3 ( :lol: ), and our PPG is 1.6.

Last season was pathetic, the start of this season is even more pathetic. I feel like I'm making the same post over and over, but we've been terrible for the last 65 games, and we're at one of our lowest points right now under ETH.
There's a difference between performances and results, in the sense that you can play well and not get a result or play terribly and get a lucky result. Normally over time results will even out with some lucky and some unlucky, but not always. Last season was one such, where we banked up a lot of results in the first half of the season that we didn't deserve but never had many unlucky results to even them out.

We're playing a bit better in general this season, or at least in some of the games. We haven't been as open, we've had a bit more control...basically what we're seeing is the team not playing well as opposed to the completely suicidal tactics of last season. Perhaps the more accurate way of putting my view across is to say that as bad as we have been this season, we were somehow even worse last season.

what the heck are you basing this on?! They pretty publicly considered various alternatives in the summer, after he had won the FA Cup in some style, and Ratcliffe has been studiously evasive whenever he's been pressed to provide support for ETH. Why would they suddenly be happy with another season of mediocrity??

Only way he stays is if he manages to ride out this international break and then starts winning games immediately, culminating in a top 4 finish and/or winning the Europa League plus a domestic cup. Most likely he won't be here in a month's time. Ineos have not changed the entire footballing structure just to be content with maintaining this level of mediocrity.
They were happy enough to even give him another year on his contract hence I don’t think he was really that close to being sacked (even if they courted other coaches).

I think they simply bought into his long term vision talk and will now persist with him for a long time with no regard to results because at the end of it they will think we can become a top 4 club under him. He’s also brought the expectations down so much that even minor improvement will be perceived as significant.

I was of the same view last year and ended up being correct about him staying. I think there are few coaches better than him at promoting himself and talking the talk about how much he knows about tactics and how successful he is. I am also sure he thinks he’s done great here, as he has not been shy to express.

Last edited:

As you would expect. You do your job until you're told otherwise. Not that it will get to that stage but this did give me flashbacks of Conte taking Chelsea's preseason despite it being clear to everyone that he was going to be sacked. I don't think it's a forgone conclusion and I am expecting ETH to stay for now but even if he goes, the behaviour from ETH is normal.

We're reached Top Red stage again. If history is anything to go by at least it means that Ten Hag will be gone within about a month.

Yep. Depressing stuff.

We've seen this before, haven't we?

And if history really is anything to go by, we'll see the ETH die-hards show up again when the next guy turns to shit and becomes a legit target for harsh scrutiny:

"Heh! Ezza ten Hazza was a wizza(rd) in his first season!"

("Kinda anyway. Better than this fraud/clown.")

And...so forth.

(Let's hope it doesn't happen. Let's hope we actually have turned a page. Let's hope the people in charge aren't idiots. Let's...hope...)

There's a difference between performances and results, in the sense that you can play well and not get a result or play terribly and get a lucky result. Normally over time results will even out with some lucky and some unlucky, but not always. Last season was one such, where we banked up a lot of results in the first half of the season that we didn't deserve but never had many unlucky results to even them out.

We're playing a bit better in general this season, or at least in some of the games. We haven't been as open, we've had a bit more control...basically what we're seeing is the team not playing well as opposed to the completely suicidal tactics of last season. Perhaps the more accurate way of putting my view across is to say that as bad as we have been this season, we were somehow even worse last season.

Last season was rock bottom borderline relegation form for the most part. The only way was up from there and it seems as if we have gone sideways

Ratcliffe obviously wants his own manager and a fresh start under him, but he’s been out voted by Omar and Ashworth. Says it all when Ratcliffe refused to back ETH when he got asked if he as faith in him

Here is a graph I made a few days ago, of "points per game" averaged over 10 games, for Manchester United since Ten Hag took over, and Arsenal since Arteta took over:

TLA8gWx.jpeg

There are moments of better and worse form, but over time, a direction emerges.

I appreciate the time you put into this to illustrate where we're headed under Ten Hag.

Down the shitter.

Ratcliffe obviously wants his own manager and a fresh start under him, but he’s been out voted by Omar and Ashworth. Says it all when Ratcliffe refused to back ETH when he got asked if he as faith in him

This makes no sense.

Good post and response, and I think that’s where some of the disconnect comes from, as there seem to be a section of fans that seem to still see the club having everything that he described initially, while others like myself think many of those things have eroded over the past decade and are fed up with the lack of progress in trying to bring them back. And then the pompous attitude of “well I’m a true supporter because I’ll always applaud our players and manager at OT” starts to come into play.

I genuinely think he is behind Pep the safest manager in the league. I could probably see the likes of Arteta or Emery getting the boot before we even think about binning the Dutch bald genius.

With most managers a poor run of 15-20 games would probably put them under pressure, with some less. With him it wouldn’t even matter because we’ve had so many embarrassments with so little success and he’s still rolling on.

Last edited:
Oh, oh, always love myself some hypothetical nonsense. Let me do this too!

- We were just a Garnacho open goal miss or a couple of Bruno one-on-ones misses away from securing a 3-0 victory against Fulham.

- We were only a Maguire hesitation on a simple clearance and a couple of very freakish offsides away from 2-1 win against Brighton.

- We were a Garnacho shot off the bar or a Bruno effort rattling the crossbar away from winning over Crystal Palace by 1-0 or even 2-0.

- We were a Bruno free-kick hitting the bar away from taking a 1-0 win against Aston Villa.

This is too easy!

What? What is hypothetical nonsense? Did Zirkzee's goal against Fulham not make it 3 points gained, instead of 1? It's fact that we got 3 points because of his goal. The Onana save obviously is more debatable but I think most would agree that game shifted from us being outplayed and down potentially 1-0 to Onana saving the penalty, it giving us a jolt of life, then 2 minutes later de Ligt scoring a header and 5 minutes after that Rashford scoring. Onana's penalty save in mine and a lot of other's opinion was the start of a chain reaction response that saw us score 2 goals.

The stuff you posted is mainly Garnacho and Bruno missing. Which they have continually done, so saying "if only Garnacho and/or Bruno scored here" is more hypothetical nonsense than the point I was making. Every match this season you could look at and say Garnacho and/or Bruno should have had a goal. My favorite example of this was one you posted. Garnacho hitting the crossbar and it falling to Bruno with no one around him and the keeper out of poistion and him hitting the crossbar and it going over for a goal kick.

Last edited: