Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Even if they only had a minor influence, it's a problem. I'm a ST holder of 20 years and I've never seen anybody criticise our coach in the ground, no matter how bad it got. That's not the problem though, it's all those going crazy and demanding to keep him after such a poor season. Going against the very structure they wanted and petitioning them, influencing their decisions. Now they're back, tail between their legs, demanding he's sacked. It's just a joke. Our fans have to be some of the stupidest in the country.

Fans are fickle, and incredibly short sighted. The majority on here wanted to pay £120m for Sancho just so we got him there and then. Wanted the likes of Serge Aurier and Oriel Romeu.

For all the talk of having 'football' people in charge, we should maybe trust them now that we have them in charge.

Oh he's absolutely played them like a fiddle and now the fanbase is going to suffer for them stupidly falling for it
You can bet he's going to come out with something along the lines of 'they are not stupid, they know football, they know a process like this is going to take time but are all on the same page and can see that we are moving in the right direction' after our next failure (which can be as soon as Brentford). He's been immense at that, with his post FA Cup comments, his contempt for them after they announced him staying, his refusal to let go of transfer veto and pen a longer extension. Despite his failure he's actually managed to have them crave him and perceive the situation as if he's the catch here.

Or accepting that a process doesn't mean linear progress. The squad he came into had players leftover from 5 different managers with contrasting styles. If we're two years deep into a rebuilding process, accept that it is going to be inconsistent and let them see it through. They are all young and technical players being bought in, so if doesn't work they will all be good players to have for the next manager.

Which players have lost faith, as it seems they are all still playing for him? Many faults to be had, but none of the players in squad now seem to have issue with him. For example when he agrees the sale of Maguire, that player is still here and is now putting in some of his better performances.

Or try and look at the bigger picture beyond 7 games of a 38 season.

The season is 38 games long and it hasn't been one zombie performance after another, it's been inconsistent.

There has been shocking performances (spurs in particular) but they has also been good ones, Ie city in community shield.

Ultimately ETH might not be the one to take us forward, but one thing is for sure is that the squad being put together is only getting better and will set up the next manager nicely.
Genuinely impressive how every day a new poster emerges to lecture us all on how ETH is actually doing a brilliant job and we just need to be more patient and trust the master plan.

You say I'm making up stories and then claim that I'm claiming that it's because of reddit and the caf? :lol: feck off.
Unless I am completely misunderstanding your previous post, that's what you said. You talked about r/reddevils being Ten Hag in last season and used a lot of "you" in your post, which seems to be directed at people on caf and r/reddevils.

You can bet he's going to come out with something along the lines of 'they are not stupid, they know football, they know a process like this is going to take time but are all on the same page and can see that we are moving in the right direction' after our next failure (which can be as soon as Brentford). He's been immense at that, with his post FA Cup comments, his contempt for them after they announced him staying, his refusal to let go of transfer veto and pen a longer extension. Despite his failure he's actually managed to have them crave him and perceive the situation as if he's the catch here.

Yeah guy is totally deluded, worrying part is they can't see anything wrong with his wild statements

He definitely isn't the guy to take Utd forward
Arsenal said literally the same about there manager, he turned it around.

Doesn't mean ETH will, but it shows it is possible. You fail to look at how far the squad has changed in 2 years. I'm willing to see it through because even if he doesn't work out, he will still be leaving the squad in a damn good place.

Another freaking season of dross. I am back to just caring about our young players and hoping they improve. Seeing how Yoro does etc...

This blows.
This is the first time I have a subscription for the home games of the Danish National Team. They haven't even had a coach since the EUROs. Thank you, EtH

The thing I hate worst is that rival fans are absolutely jubilant today. I've had Pool and Arsenal fans saying they want Ten Hag to stay for 10 years. It's hurts what a laughing stock we've become.

So it appears the briefings have started that Ten Hag has escaped the sack.

And that right there is the problem.

Firstly the season isn't over and we won't be finishing in 14th with or without ETH.

Secondly look past a league position. We could finish in 14th or 4th, look at the squad the next manager will have. Look at the ages and how they can grow and develop over the next years.

Hojlund (21) ---

Garnacho (20) ----- Mainoo (19) ----- Amad (22)

Kone (18) ------ Ugarte (23)

LB ----- Martinez/MDL ----- Yoro (18) ---- RB

GK

The thing I hate worst is that rival fans are absolutely jubilant today. I've had Pool and Arsenal fans saying they want Ten Hag to stay for 10 years. It's hurts what a laughing stock we've become.

What's more sad is that they figured out how bad he was, way earlier than our own fans.

Maybe not 10th but 6th or 7th would definitely get him another Summer and next season, which is just mind boggling to think about.
No chance. He’ll be gone before he gets the chance to finish the season anyway so we don’t have to worry about that

Do a performance review.

Based on the transfers we brought in, we are targeting success long term by building a squad with young world class potential.

A measured approach is the right one.

A proper performance review would be

-We are a Joshua Zirkzee run into the box and Onana saving a penalty from having 0 wins and being only on 4 points

-We had leads in both our Europa matches that we couldn't build on and lost those leads and were outplayed in both matches

-Spurs and Liverpool have scored more than we have scored in the League and Europa combined at Old Trafford this season

-Brentford in 1 match scored as many as we have all season in the league

-Newly promoted Leicester and Ipswich have scored more goals than us in the league.

-Our goals conceded is skewed by the fact that we have played Palace and Southampton who are the only 2 clubs worse at scoring than us.

-The worst team in the league Wolves has 4 more goals scored than us

-Our best match was against a side 2 leagues below us

So we had fans criticising the team under Ralf. But I thought United fans didn’t do that? Now I’m confused..

Or is it a case that they do actually do it but they have more patience than vast majority of flip floppers on the Caf.

The ones that pay the money to go can make their opinions in their own time and voice them as they see fit.
You have this uncanny ability to appear obtuse in your posts. I am certain it's just deliberate. Are you a government employee by any chance?

The fanbase will be behind him if he wins a couple of games. That's all it will take. Ineos know it, Ten Hag knows it. That's why they'll ride it out and save their money.
Hang on, why have Ineos bothered to change all of the footballing structure if all they care about is maintaining midtable football?

The amount of bedwetting in this thread is embarrassing.

Doesn't mean ETH will, but it shows it is possible. You fail to look at how far the squad has changed in 2 years. I'm willing to see it through because even if he doesn't work out, he will still be leaving the squad in a damn good place.

For the love of god why do people still use Arteta as a reference! This isn't Ten Hags 2nd season, if it was you may have a point. But by Season 3 Arteta managed the following in his first 11 games (all comps)

8 wins, 1 loss in the PL, 23 scored, 10 conceded.

Arsenal also won both of their opening Europa League fixtures. Resulting in a combined 10 wins, 1 loss. The link between ETH and Arteta is gone. Not only that but even Artetas past form they were still able to score a decent amount of goals, they just conceded a bucket load as well. Arteta managed to fix that in Season 3. Arteta was also always capable of beating better teams, they just never had consistency. ETH has failed over and over again that he cannot beat better teams, he struggles to even draw against them. Just please, please stop.

The newbie ETH support club are quite obviously opposition fab trolls. It's why I suggested this thread should be locked for newbies.

a process doesn't mean linear progress.

Here is a graph I made a few days ago, of "points per game" averaged over 10 games, for Manchester United since Ten Hag took over, and Arsenal since Arteta took over:

TLA8gWx.jpeg

There are moments of better and worse form, but over time, a direction emerges.

Anyone who can plot data points can show with linear regression that we have been on the decline since 2023. You don't need to be some data scientists to even do this

It's true. My favourite simple metric is looking at a rolling 20 game window for PPG (with the simplification of counting cup games as points games).

ETH was last at 2+ ppg (which is where you want to be to be sure of top 4 in most seasons), it was in the period ending in April 2023. He hasn't been able to string together 20 successive games since then in top 4 form, even allowing cup games which should help him (since he wins cups!). Currently, over the last 20 games, we're at 1.45. The only lower point was Dec 30, 2023, where the preceding 20 games averaged 1.3 ppg.

For context, here are our other manager's 20 game ppg, lowest during their tenure and what it was when they were sacked:

ManagerLowest 20 successive game PPG20 successive game PPG when sacked
Moyes1.41.4
LvG1.352.1
Jose1.551.55
Ole0.951.45
ETH1.3Currently on1.45

Ole had a lot of ups and downs. Jose and Moyes were both sacked at their lowest points. LvG is weird, he actually went out on a high of a good run of games (2.1 is very good), with his worst period the 20 games ending in Jan 12, 2016.

The difference is the persistence of bad runs. We've basically been on a prolonged bad run for about ~60 games. Low PPG, low win rate, negative goal difference. ETH ppg over the first 60 games is 2.15, his ppg over the last 65 games is 1.54.

This is not something you snap out of and reverse easily.

Would love to hear the justification if it’s really true that he’s staying. They can’t possibly think he’s doing a good job. Reads more like an exercise in wanting to look calm and in control rather than doing what’s necessary, to me.

Surviving a crisis with two draws sure is interesting. We’ll be back here with the next defeat, which isn’t too far away considering the way we play.

If they don't sack him it will be because they don't have a viable option to replace him with. Sure they could have Ruud takeover as caretaker for the rest of the year, but would that guarantee better results ? The rest of the top managers are mostly employed right now, so what would be the point. This sort of logic must surely be on the minds of SJR and the rest of the executive team.

Reactions: moses
Would love to hear the justification if it’s really true that he’s staying
I believe, they have never claimed that the meeting was a Ten Hag in or out meeting. Isn't it all media speculation?
If that is the case, they need not put out any statement, unless the fanbase goes absolute bonkers over this.

It’s mad that they would write off their first full season in all their jobs, continue to have the club be a laughing stock and actively hurt the players they have just signed (some relegated to the bench already because of this guys insane setup)

Just a complete waste of time, money and energy, further stripping away confidence and morale and making themselves look incompetent in the process.

With the evidence on the table, it’s the single worst managerial decision since Fergie retired, and they have made it twice now.

On scale of 1 to 10 how bad are British journalists? With their hear say/speculation they tried their best to convinced all that Manchester United would be appointing a new manager for the 2024/25 season and didn't even consider that Jim and Co would keep Ten Hag on after their review.

Now 10 games into this season the meeting yesterday according to them was to used to part ways with Ten Hag. Hard to believe that some still trust the guess work they publish.

All of these press reports seem to follow the same pattern, that Ten Hag hasn't been told anything and therefore he's planning ahead for Brentford.

That is highly speculative... things may be happening in the background at a board level. Until it comes from a proper source I'm not too concerned.

Absolutely no way in the world that a 6th or 7th place would get him another season :lol:
I am unfortunately not sure anymore. In this scenario I can see him being able to convince INEOS (and a significant portion of the fanbase, especially outside the caf) that “now the only way is up”, “we had to suffer pain and we were at the bottom but now we are improving and will be challenging for top-4 next season and by 2028 will win the title” and so on. And of course it ends after another season or two with no progress whatsoever.