Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
He got us two good away points to buy himself some time, now we need to win the home game against Brentford. Then we could start talking about things starting to turn around. No easy games though, when you've struggled as much as we have this season. Brentford should fancy their chances, they're above us in the table for a reason.
Pretty obvious that nothing is turning around. The Porto game in particular, wasn't a good point. We were 2-0 up.

Ideally I don't 'judge' people, but that's nitpicking. But I would say that we won't learn much from people's performances in media settings about how they are in person, and vice versa. So something like 'based on how he is in interviews and press conferences, he must be terrible to work with' seems like nonsense logic to me.
I don’t like the word “judge’ either. He may be an absolute disaster as a manager, but an incredible human being. Like Gandhi, for example, probably couldn’t coach the team to execute a high press, but he was an admirable human being.

But, you added a vice versa in there that caught me. If we can’t judge whether a person is likeable by their press conferences and also cannot by how they are in person, there really isn’t much left, is there? I agree that an interview is more or less a press conference though.

I don’t like the word “judge’ either. He may be an absolute disaster as a manager, but an incredible human being. Like Gandhi, for example, probably couldn’t coach the team to execute a high press, but he was an admirable human being.

But, you added a vice versa in there that caught me. If we can’t judge whether a person is likeable by their press conferences and also cannot by how they are in person, there really isn’t much left, is there?
With the 'vice versa', I meant that you chat judge how people will be in media settings based on how they are in person. Not really relevant here, but I like being complete.

Ineos and sjr may not have the sporting ambition we hoped for, they may be perfectly content in being remembered for being responsible for a new stadium sjr being responsible for a new stadium is a far greater legacy than a handful of trophies.

Which is why they went and hired a new CEO, a DOF, a technichal director, a guy who handles transfers. Why they apparently spend a lot of time after the season before they made a decision on the manager, including meeting other managers. Oh, and also why they spent loads on transfers so far.

Because they are mostly interested in the stadium.

I mean, come on. I know it's doom and gloom, but there's no need to invent baseless conspiracy theories.

By the time that stadium is built we might be at Evertons level.

It really feels like ineos are good at one thing and that is stripping costs out businesses until they are perceived to be lean. Hence stripping back the workforce, fergies contract etc. But that is nothing more than a side issue at United and so far they are no better than Ed and the glazers were at making decisions ober the big problems e.g. transfers and managers

INEOS don't need to be good in making decisions about transfers and managers.

They need to appoint people who can make those decisions.

They did appoint new people. The two most important ones only arrived 3-4 months ago. Do you think they've been given a chance?

He definitely doesn't come off as hugely likeable and the tendency to make excuses has become a bit excessive. That said it isn't the level that he seems like a bad guy, for the most part just a bit bland.

Definitely competing with Moyes for the least charismatic/charming manager we have had in my time though.

Also don't think this matters hugely, I could listen to Mourinho talk for hours quite happily and he wasn't the right man.

Maybe if Ten Hag had his charisma it would make a huge difference, maybe he isn't as tactically inept as it seems and it's a motivation issue. Either way he isn't doing the job.

He got us two good away points to buy himself some time, now we need to win the home game against Brentford. Then we could start talking about things starting to turn around. No easy games though, when you've struggled as much as we have this season. Brentford should fancy their chances, they're above us in the table for a reason.

With the way we usually start like we've just woken up and the fact Brentford train alot on starting very strong I can see 1 nil down in under 7 minutes then they'll get another after half time. God knows if we'll score but I don't think we'll outscore them under any circumstances.

I can understand that if you're judging him from press conferences when he's under pressure because he comes across as a total dick to me. But in other interviews he just comes across as being deluded, arrogant, he seems to see himself better than everyone else too and spouting bullshit wherever he goes and he's condescending.
To me there's nothing to like at all.

Yeah really wish INEOS would give him reality check

With the way we usually start like we've just woken up and the fact Brentford train alot on starting very strong I can see 1 nil down in under 7 minutes then they'll get another after half time. God knows if we'll score but I don't think we'll outscore them under any circumstances.
Plausible, I would not be shocked were it to pan out something like that, but I recall people were very sure we'd lose our last game. I think there's a reasonable chance we see them off and get that win under our belt.

If I had to bet, another draw that infuriates everyone feels very easy to imagine.

Which part did you disagree with?
- The notion of “no one our there being the right man apart from Ancellotti”
- sticking with a manager through all of the shit in hopes that it magically works out
- Acting like there must be some strange, deeper reason that previous managers haven’t worked out

So in essence, all of it. We are the only club where fans complain about firing managers that are doing a shit job in years 2-3.

I've heard a lot of United fans say this or similar since the end of last season. But it's genuinely mad that some are sick of going through managers so 'quickly', United give managers longer than most clubs, every post Fergie manager bar Moyes has had at least 2 full seasons. If anything we've gave them all too much time.

The average tenure of a manager is somewhere between 18 and 24 months across world football going back 20-30 years. Ten Hag's already been at United for over 2 years for fecks sake. If the team you support changing manager every 2-3 years makes you ill then maybe being football fan isn't a healhty past time.
No one seems to get this. Does my head in that our fans act like we are axing 2 managers a year when the reality is the United manager gets more rope than any other big club in the world.

He definitely doesn't come off as hugely likeable and the tendency to make excuses has become a bit excessive. That said it isn't the level that he seems like a bad guy, for the most part just a bit bland.

Definitely competing with Moyes for the least charismatic/charming manager we have had in my time though.

Also don't think this matters hugely, I could listen to Mourinho talk for hours quite happily and he wasn't the right man.

Maybe if Ten Hag had his charisma it would make a huge difference, maybe he isn't as tactically inept as it seems and it's a motivation issue. Either way he isn't doing the job.
Only think that makes him so unlikeable for me is the seeming lack of accountability. Such a shit trait for a person in leadership to have

Plausible, I would not be shocked were it to pan out something like that, but I recall people were very sure we'd lose our last game. I think there's a reasonable chance we see them off and get that win under our belt.

If I had to bet, another draw that infuriates everyone feels very easy to imagine.
Can't wait. :lol: