Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
By announcing he is staying they would be acknowledging there is a problem. Which there isn't of course, all is well. Tickety boo old pip.

We’re not owed a public announcement if he’s staying. The one in the summer was different, it had been made clear his future was being debated and discussed. We’ll only hear something if he’s gone I think.
Of course. If they say that he is staying they are just sending a message that he is close to sack. And if poor results continue and they sack him in a month then that will make them look incompetent.
Maybe they are in talks with new manager and they don't want to sack Erik before they have a deal with next manager.

But, my guess is that he is staying. They decided to give him last chance.

By announcing he is staying they would be acknowledging there is a problem. Which there isn't of course, all is well. Tickety boo old pip.

This is like that board meeting in Chernobyl (the HBO series) where they decide to keep information about the disaster contained.

Writing a season off is an absolute no-no. We have plenty of good young players, and someone like Tuchel could turn things around quickly. We’ll be cutting it for CL, but we could still get there. Tuchel would have us deep in the Europa league. ETH is not turning this around. He should have been gone after the Liverpool game.

I have been supporting Utd since I was old enough to know what football was in the mid 80s, if they decide to keep ETH at least I can look forward to something I have never experienced before as a Utd fan, that being part of the relegation dogfight.

It sadly worked for keeping him here during the summer, so yes.

We don't know that it did, or how much it affected the decision.

Ultimately, there was only one report (Guardian) which clearly stated before the FA Cup Final that he would be sacked. The rest just assumed at best.

And it's not as if SJR, Ashworth, Berrada and co logged on Twitter, searched for the words "Ten Haag", looked at the results and said grimly: Oh no, we have to keep him.

I've come to the conclusion that this is ' all part of the plan ' from Ineos.
I can't believe for one moment, having taken into account of last seasons form, that the current poor performances are a surprise to them.

They don't want to publicly say it , of course, but I think this season is abit of a write off for them and maybe this has been discussed in house long before the season even started.

So, my prediction is they'll stick with ETH for the rest of the campaign, with all the mediocrity on show, and kick start their philosophy in the summer with their guy.

Personality, I think Ineos are far more concerned with the stadium redevelopment and updating the Carrington training complex.

Do a performance review.

Based on the transfers we brought in, we are targeting success long term by building a squad with young world class potential.

A measured approach is the right one.
The performance review will go:

At the start of the season, under the current Head Coach we are in 14th place.

We place 18th in goals scored. 12th in xG. 14th xGA. This is after similar stats shown over the last 12 months in the Premier League, actually we’ve gotten worse.

What do you do next?

Not sure what is so hard to understand.

- top replacements only available in the summer
- giving 8 months to an interim is too high of a risk, what if he fails spectacularly within 2 months?
- as worrying as the situation is, theoretically easier upcoming fixtures which could see us turn the situation around
- sacking is expensive

Rather waste this season in order to get a top top relpacement, than give it now to someone who doesn't guarantee better outcome
Just a quick couple of points,

- Revenue, without revenue transfers are a moot point unless you sell and go for a rebuild, ouch! This team and its spending should be no where close to mentioning rebuild, however having 3 players 30 or older state otherwise.
- Currently 5 pts out of relegation zone, do I believe they will be relegated, no, however without placements in either Euro or CL marks another revenue hit hindering future transfer spending.
- Waste yet another season? Again, accessorial revenues drop as people start to spend money on other ventures or teams.
- Can they do any worse with a managerial change? I think that is the defining question. Even with yet another interim manager, it could spark the team for the short term and reality is, I for one think in this case change is an improvement.
- Progress, this team is not progressing, they are stagnant and in fact seem to be dwindling, what is going to change, how is it going to change, when is it going to change? We are 3 yrs into the ETH era, this team should be what he envisioned when he took the position and starting to have results.

The reality is that the current squad is a reflection of extremely poor hiring, Ed Woodward had no clue what he was doing. Having a bean counter run a sports team is like have a footballer running your finance dept or doing your income tax. In addition, not sure who was scouting and what the mandate was to those scouts, but at the end of the day they brought in names and not the quality of player required. I get you cannot go back, but there has to be some due diligence in forward movement and understanding what you want and who can get you there. Slot comes in and the transition from Klopp was seamless. This was the result of an organized operation. Slot my be still in the honeymoon stage, but heck, he has kept that team rolling and competing.

This team is not moving forward, at some point you have to recognize the errors made and make changes accordingly. I hear talk of Southgate, Potter and other potential managers incoming, again, is the board hiring names or do they have a clear vision on what Manchester United is, the history, the expectation and how to get to where you want to be? Once that is on the forefront, you want some pedigree, some history and you want to hire the right manager who can and has done the things to bring success to the plan. What is the time frame to come to a feasible conclusion, 1 wk, 1 mnth? If it is longer than that, then you have the wrong people in charge yet again.

My perception at this point, the board has no clue how to fix this. That is concerning.

Nah, it's practically his team now.
And I don't think the players are downing tools. They genuinely look fecking confused on the pitch about their roles.
That ‘s what it looks like to me too.
ETH has to go, and go now. Managers do not come back from these situations.
They do: managers have won leagues after suffering relegation form. Football is unpredictable.

All we’ve heard all along is that they are all together in this, on one page. The players haven’t downed tools and supposedly everyone is behind the game model.

Basically, everyone is underperforming, not just the players and manager. Let’s hope it’s mostly a matter of time to improve, rather than having to rip it all up and start over.

INEOS probably wants to avoid taking the drastic step of firing the manager and the huge payout, unless it’s unavoidable.

I've come to the conclusion that this is ' all part of the plan ' from Ineos.
I can't believe for one moment, having taken into account of last seasons form, that the current poor performances are a surprise to them.

They don't want to publicly say it , of course, but I think this season is abit of a write off for them and maybe this has been discussed in house long before the season even started.

So, my prediction is they'll stick with ETH for the rest of the campaign, with all the mediocrity on show, and kick start their philosophy in the summer with their guy.

Personality, I think Ineos are far more concerned with the stadium redevelopment and updating the Carrington training complex.
Maybe they are trying to drive the value of the club down, and feck with the finances to get to a point where the Glazer's are forced into a full sale at a better price

This is like that board meeting in Chernobyl (the HBO series) where they decide to keep information about the disaster contained.
That board you are referring to is the politburo . Our lot has a long way to go before reaching that level.

Like others have said though, there's a big chance they say nothing at all. There's a chance that the subject of sacking him was barely discussed, and we're all waiting for nothing.
Maybe. But surely they want to put all the speculation to bed 1 way or another. Either back him or sack him. That way the rumours die down

The performance review will go:

At the start of the season, under the current Head Coach we are in 14th place.

We place 18th in goals scored. 12th in xG. 14th xGA. This is after similar stats shown over the last 12 months in the Premier League, actually we’ve gotten worse.

What do you do next?
It encompasses a bit more than just looking at the results. They will focus on things that need improving. Some of these are obvious (scoring goals), most are not.

BTW your numbers aren’t what I’m seeing; we are 9th in xG.

The fact that they’ve not publicly come out and said his jobs safe tells us that they are indeed planning on a change. Hearing all the outside noise would instantly make them shut it down if they came out and publicly backed him but they haven’t. Which says they could indeed make a change. But the sooner the better. By next week everyone’s back in training. Maybe the end of this week could be when they hold a meeting with ETH face to face when he’s back of holiday.

Yes, because we've never heard managers getting the vote of confidence before being sacked the next week.

Maybe. But surely they want to put all the speculation to bed 1 way or another. Either back him or sack him. That way the rumours die down
No matter what the club say, the rumours won't die if the results don't improve. And those who want the manager gone will ramp up their anger at the owners if they back him. If people have wound themselves into hysteria it's not the club's job to talk them down.

It encompasses a bit more than just looking at the results. They will focus on things that need improving. Some of these are obvious (scoring goals), most are not.

I think it encompasses everything when results have been like this for 14 months consistently in the Premier League.

https://understat.com/league/EPL

Understat has us 12th in xG. This is the data set what is used by Data Analytics in the game.

We're 12th on understat.

Relegated? Don't talk shite.
Whilst I don’t think Relegation is a thing especially after only 7 Pl Games what we must accept that ETH has spent nearly £600m and his team with his unproven Premier League Players seem to be in huge decline every season. After 83 PL games, ETH should have worked out how to get the most out of his squad and how to get the required 2 points per Game and 2 Goals per Game that this huge investment should merit in 2024/25 season.

For reference let’s do an exact like for like comparison from last year on the equivalent 7 PL matches. This comparison swaps the relegated PL team, Sheffield United for the promoted PL Team Southampton.

Season 23/24 - Fulham(H) - L (0-1),
Liverpool (H) - D (2-2), Brighton(A)- W(0-2),
Sheffield UTD - W (1-2), Crystal Palace(A) - L(4-0), Spurs (H) - D (2-2) ,
Aston Villa (A) - W (2-3)

GP
(7)W(3)D(2)L(2)Points(11) GS(11) GC(12)
Average Goals per Game 1.57
Average Goals conceded per Game 1.71
Average Points per Game 1.57

Season 24/25 -
Fulham(H) -W (1-0) Brighton(A)- L(2-1), Liverpool(H) - L(0-3), Southampton - W(0-3), Crystal Palace(A) -
D(0-0), Spurs(H) - L(0-3),
Aston Villa(A) - D(0-0)

GP
(7)W(2)D(2)L(3)Points(8)GS(5)GC(8)
Average Goals per Game scored 0.7
Average Goals per Game conceded 1.14
Average Points per Game 1.14

Now to see the truth of ETH look at his first season with exactly the same games ;
Season 22/23
Fulham(H) - W(1-0), Brighton(A) - L(1-0) Liverpool (H) - W(2-1), Southampton (A) - W(0-1), Crystal Palace (A)- D(1-1),
Spurs(H)- W(2-0), Aston Villa(A) - L(3-1)

GP
(7)W(4)D(1)L(2)GS(8)GC(6)Points(13)
Average Goals per Game scored 1.14
Average Goals Conceded per Game 0.75
Average Points per Game 1.86

Conclusion

ETH relied on FIFPRO 11 selected Casemiro and an Elite Varane for about 8 months plus an in form Rashford, they got him through carabo cup and league into 3rd place as our defence when Varane was Fit was generally very good. He’s had 2 and 1/4 years, he’s spent £600m, his teams don’t score 2 goals or average 2 points a game in the PL.

He can’t work with Experienced players that have won more in the game than he ever will, he can’t adapt, he can’t change or listen. He constantly gets turned over by the same coach time and time, with his only win against De Zerbie, when De Zerbie had lost interest and was looking to leave. New coaches like Oliver Glasner, Fabian Hurzler find it incredibly easy to get a result against ETH because he’s so predictable. He’s tried from year one to year two to get the team to score more goals by turning the team into a basket ball team, then when he realised this wouldn’t work, he reverted back to try and defend better, but that hasn’t worked, let’s face it Eric, you simply don’t know what your doing and probably never will!

He’s blagged this role for over 28 months now and it’s time to get rid asap, as he’s only ever going to take the team into further decline and whilst relegation is not likely coming 12th to 15th wouldn’t surprise anyone if he stayed the whole season and for Man United 8th place is Relegation !

Yes, it's weird to criticise Ten Hag for transfers this window unless he's spearheaded the recruitment.

I don't know but he always preferred dutch players, or players who played in Holland, Ajax etc. And this summer three dutch players arrived to the club and two played for Ajax. (Yes, Mazraoui was born in Holland too). It cannot be a coincidence. And yes, Zirkzee is an absolute flop, totally clueless CF who couldn't hit the ocean from a boat. De Ligt is an interesting subject. The guy's value, performance, contribution keeps declining since the age of 20, and the sporting director of Bayern Munich stated that they were desperate to sell him as "his style of play isn't aggressive enough" and they prefer Kim and Upamecano instead.

Not expecting him getting sacked that quickly, they'll want to get confirmation from a manager after deciding which direction they should go. They did back him heavily and I feel they won't want the players to be managed by RVN or other caretaker so early. I doubt RVN wants the scrutiny and pressure after just arriving.

There's a lot to consider in do they try to work with Tuchel or other top experienced manager or, bring in someone like Potter or even have assurances from a top prospect they can join in the summer so we wait it out.

The stats from 12-18 months are damning, we're now a top ten club at best, down from a top 4/6.

I think it encompasses everything when results have been like this for 14 months consistently in the Premier League.

https://understat.com/league/EPL

Understat has us 12th in xG. This is the data set what is used by Data Analytics in the game.
And with the exception of West Ham, the other 5 teams with a worse xGA than us are all relegation candidates. Ipswich, Leicester, Southampton, Wolves and Everton.

It's really bad. Some people just don't care though. We were lucky to finish in the top 10 last season.

If we keep him and then lose to Brentford that would be peak comedy.

I'll want us to win but I'll be bursting myself laughing if we dont

It's sad that we're having to write off an entire season because the clowns in charge don't want to accept that they made a mistake with the manager. Feels pointless engaging with the season at this point.

If we keep him and then lose to Brentford that would be peak comedy.

I'll want us to win but I'll be bursting myself laughing if we dont
Would it really be that surprising? I think we have basically accepted that we are fine losing football games, we don’t care about it as long as we can make Erik feel comfortable in his job.

The worst part is he will be cockier than ever now, maybe Palmer has another of those goal rushes on Nov 3 or Arsenal batter us at Emirates

The worst part is he will be cockier than ever now, maybe Palmer has another of those goal rushes on Nov 3 or Arsenal batter us at Emirates
Which won’t change a thing because we already know we are going to be bad against good teams. We could lose 3-0 to Chelsea at OT and 7-0 at Arsenal and it’d be just another day at the office.