Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think he's got away with it this time but a couple of bad results after the international break and he's a gonna. He should have lost his job and I honestly can't see the point in keeping him
Maybe they are ironing out the final details with a new Manager and if it’s Tuchel, we know he will want a huge input in new signings and probably now wants a bigger salary than what was offered in the summer?

The only alternatives are getting someone who just happens to be available in on a long contract now, and potentially regretting it or getting a caretaker in for 8 months who's unproven.

I do understand Ineos wanting their first permanent appointment being someone that they really believe in, it's probably the most important decision they'll make for a long time.
In the end I think that is what will happen.
Ineos will take all the criticism this campaign from all sections and then bring in thier guy next summer.
Clean slate. That's when I believe their philosophy kicks in.

Minor some miracle I am more than certain this is ETH last campaign managing us.

I am tempted to start a thread to make this point, but I just hope our supporters learn a valuable lesson from all of this.

It seems like practically everyone wants him out now, hell even r/reddevils are completely losing their shit over it, and not long ago they were the cult of Ten Hag. All those that wanted him to stay after the FA Cup final got duped. You ignored a hell of a lot of evidence, you ignored a lot of people that were poking holes through the flimsy excuses being made for him. You are almost reaping what you have sewn, and I'm sure it's not lost on INEOS how the entire fanbase has seemingly flip flopped within the space of a couple of months. They probably won't listen to fan pressure ever again, and rightly so. But that means that, right now we can scream and shout about this as much as we want, they're probably thinking to themselves that 'this is what they asked for, they can put up with it'. Hopefully not, but they'd be well within their rights. This is on you lot, and INEOS of course for listening and ignoring what was right in front of them.

Good post, I fully agree.

I am tempted to start a thread to make this point, but I just hope our supporters learn a valuable lesson from all of this.

It seems like practically everyone wants him out now, hell even r/reddevils are completely losing their shit over it, and not long ago they were the cult of Ten Hag. All those that wanted him to stay after the FA Cup final got duped. You ignored a hell of a lot of evidence, you ignored a lot of people that were poking holes through the flimsy excuses being made for him. You are almost reaping what you have sewn, and I'm sure it's not lost on INEOS how the entire fanbase has seemingly flip flopped within the space of a couple of months. They probably won't listen to fan pressure ever again, and rightly so. But that means that, right now we can scream and shout about this as much as we want, they're probably thinking to themselves that 'this is what they asked for, they can put up with it'. Hopefully not, but they'd be well within their rights. This is on you lot, and INEOS of course for listening and ignoring what was right in front of them.

Hope this is the end of United fans thinking every manager needs time and we need to stick by them.

Hope this is the end of United fans thinking every manager needs time and we need to stick by them.

It still needs to be hammered home - and the best way to do it is, to see out the season and then make the fans pay for the ramifications in ticket prices.

It's a lesson that needs to be learned the hardest way.

Neither did the Glazers beforehand.

Joel and Avram obviously sold Jim the dream that this club will make him money regardless of how well it's doing on the pitch. The fan base is too massive.

SJR will never make back the money he has spent, he is 71 years old ffs.

Not sure what is so hard to understand.

- top replacements only available in the summer
- giving 8 months to an interim is too high of a risk, what if he fails spectacularly within 2 months?
- as worrying as the situation is, theoretically easier upcoming fixtures which could see us turn the situation around
- sacking is expensive

Rather waste this season in order to get a top top relpacement, than give it now to someone who doesn't guarantee better outcome

which better candidates are available in the summer then?

- Nagelsmann: wants WC with Germany, so not available this summer
- Ancelotti: said multiple times Madrid is his last club
- Alonso: probably waiting for Madrid and probably doesn’t want to come to us because of his Liverpool connection
- Zidane: said he doesn’t want to come to England and is waiting for France job
- De Zerbi: just signed for a big project at a new club where he seems really supported in what he wants. If United wanted him they could have got him last summer but decided not to do it.

All the others are the same risks in the summer as now:
- McKenna: not a lot of experience at a big club, can he do the same as at Ipswich?
- Amorim: doing a great job but in not a very strong competition. He hasn’t done better in Europe than Ten Hag at Ajax. Can he do the same at a big club in a big competition? Could the result be the same as Ten Hag?
- Tuchel: always a risk. Did some great things at big clubs but also bad things. Could go either way but is very experienced and would get respect from the players.
- Frank: did great things at Brentford. But can he do the same at a bigger club.
- Hoeness: did great last season but inexperienced. Can he do the same multiple seasons? Can he do the same at United?
- Allegri or Simeone: are they a gamble outside of Italy? Can they do the same in the Premier League?
- Emery: doing really great at clubs just below the absolute top it seems. Failed at Arsenal, but also in a difficult situation.
- Ole: pfffff, oke

What does waiting for the summer change? Except for the millions they have to pay Ten Hag.

The only alternatives are getting someone who just happens to be available in on a long contract now, and potentially regretting it or getting a caretaker in for 8 months who's unproven.

I do understand Ineos wanting their first permanent appointment being someone that they really believe in, it's probably the most important decision they'll make for a long time.
Unlike last season, it looks like ETH is in the process of losing the players. Constantly absolving himself and palming pressure onto those who were still following terrible instruction looks like it’s taken its toll. As @Robbie Boy made the point of: if the manager stays on, we’re going to be in a perpetual state of survival with him making decisions that are not conducive to constructive development of the squad; basically limping from one game to another with players who he most trusts. That’s a terrible state of affairs and it’s guaranteed to kick the can down the road with an undeveloped squad in tow. It’s not sustainable and we’re very familiar with ETH’s penchant for running favourites into the ground and then being at a loss when they burnout.

Rolling the dice with that against an interim carries consequences of its own. A squad in disarray where fractures will start to widen because of sunken morale. The situation is more precarious than just this season, not to mention the vital development aspects that get lost in times of crisis.

We’re supposed to have “real football men” in charge now. None of the above should be foreign to them, which makes things all the more strange; football clubs rid themselves of coaches to avoid the rot, not just for optics - you cut out the problem before it spreads, otherwise you’re every bit to blame for the fallout.

I also thought you were trying to say the season was done, regardless of what we do. I agree that if we stick with Ten Hag, the season is already over. Making a change now can potentially recover the season. It's not a guarantee, but it's better to try and see what happens. We still have a lot of points to play for. Chelsea, Villa, Newcastle, and Brighton will drop points. We can get back up there.

We also have the other cups still to play for.
Apologies for the confusion, but no it was just in regards to ETH staying.
It's not impossible of course, but for me he's not improved things, it all seems stagnant after nearly 3 years.

If a new manager came in, I'd be more optimistic. I would take Harry Redknapp at this point!

It's ok blaming the fans for putting pressure on them but football fans are fickle and emotional. Ineos should be making decisions with no emotion at all. They should have a plan that they stick to and stand by it. Not flip flop because fans are whinging. If that is indeed what has happened.

Harsh reminder that just because people have risen to the top of organisations, or have become very rich, it is in no way a guarantee they have any idea what they're doing or are immune from making disastrous decisions. You can see it in the corporate world week in week out. Unfortunately we seem to attract this kind of idiocy, from SAF handing the manager job to David Moyes on a six year deal to Woodward saying performances on the pitch have no bearing on the club's success, to the Glazers letting the stadium and training facilities rot and having no director of football for a decade.

Now the supposed saviours INEOS have come in and made bad decision after bad decision - primarily by immediately sacking half the club's workforce and removing any job perks (imagine the mood around the place after that) then not only undermining ETH by openly interviewing other candidates but then keeping him and handing him yet another £200million to spend on dross (totally negating any savings made by firing everyone).

And now they are going to have to fire him at a cost of £17million. Plus find a way of getting rid of all the terrible players he signed, at a huge financial loss. Plus they'll have to financially back a new manager. But that's still better than if they don't fire him, because we will not get in the Champions League (missing out on that costs £50million). And as Fortitude said, every week he is at the club does more and more damage to the brand and the chances of any top players/managers wanting to be involved with it.

ETH has to go, and go now. Managers do not come back from these situations. And also he is abysmal and deluded. Far from us winning the league in 2028 (another stupid quote to come out with from INEOS) it is going to take at least that long to undo the damage done in terms of how poor the first team squad is.

Harsh reminder that just because people have risen to the top of organisations, or have become very rich, it is in no way a guarantee they have any idea what they're doing or are immune from making disastrous decisions. You can see it in the corporate world week in week out. Unfortunately we seem to attract this kind of idiocy, from SAF handing the manager job to David Moyes on a six year deal to Woodward saying performances on the pitch have no bearing on the club's success, to the Glazers letting the stadium and training facilities rot and having no director of football for a decade.

Now the supposed saviours INEOS have come in and made bad decision after bad decision - primarily by immediately sacking half the club's workforce and removing any job perks (imagine the mood around the place after that) then not only undermining ETH by openly interviewing other candidates but then keeping him and handing him yet another £200million to spend on dross (totally negating any savings made by firing everyone).

And now they are going to have to fire him at a cost of £17million. Plus find a way of getting rid of all the terrible players he signed, at a huge financial loss. Plus they'll have to financially back a new manager. But that's still better than if they don't fire him, because we will not get in the Champions League (missing out on that costs £50million). And as Fortitude said, every week he is at the club does more and more damage to the brand and the chances of any top players/managers wanting to be involved with it.

ETH has to go, and go now. Managers do not come back from these situations. And also he is abysmal and deluded. Far from us winning the league in 2028 (another stupid quote to come out with from INEOS) it is going to take at least that long to undo the damage done in terms of how poor the first team squad is.

Yep, that is a good point. The corporate world is full of incompetent high ranking employees holding management positions that get a pass always because they know the right people/are buddies with the top brass.

It's ok blaming the fans for putting pressure on them but football fans are fickle and emotional. Ineos should be making decisions with no emotion at all. They should have a plan that they stick to and stand by it. Not flip flop because fans are whinging. If that is indeed what has happened.

I think it had a bearing on things for sure. Given the want of the fans, they probably saw it as a cheap and easy win to let them get their feet under the table, instead of having to get straight into something so onerous at an early stage. But it is definitely on the fans too. Have we not learnt over the last 10 years that, if we don't uphold the values and standards of the club, then nobody will? Did we learn nothing with the whole Ole dabacle? They absolutely do listen to the fans, every club does. Hopefully they listen this one last time, but given what happened just a few months ago, they probably won't. They probably expect the same fans to flip flop again if we get a win or two this month, and they're 100% right.

What really pisses me off is the narrative that last season was because of injuries, yes injuries played a part but the main reason is because of the way ETH set us up last season. While the back four at times last season was very thin, common sense should suggest that you change tactically to protect the back four and make it harder to break down.

Instead what ETH did was make the midfield so open it was basically open season for opposition attackers on our back four. Resulting in defensive statistics that had us on par with the worst sides in the league, even breaking some records regarding shots faced. Yes the injuries were bad and maybe out of his control, but the way he set up despite that was HIS decision, even when we were a laughing stock it was HIS decision to change absolutely nothing. He's made a rod off his own back because of HIS own decisions last season not because of the injuries and I'm sick and tired of hearing otherwise.

A good comparison would be the Spurs match against Chelsea last season where Spurs went down to 9 men. Now at that point Spurs were still in the match either winning or drawing (can't remember which), but Ange changed nothing, persisted with the stupidly high line and in the end Chelsea won 4-1. Now while Chelsea may have probably gone on to win the match anyway, a big factor in the final scoreline was because Spurs made it so easy for Chelsea in that second half to cut through them. There's a difference between having a philosophy and accepting you need to make changes to adapt to certain situations. But ultimately what Ange did in that game and ETH for the whole of last season was naïve if you're being kind and stupid if you're not. The difference between us and Spurs though is ETH has spent way more than Ange but Ange's Spurs side at times plays football we can only dream of under ETH.

Good post.

The fact that they’ve not publicly come out and said his jobs safe tells us that they are indeed planning on a change. Hearing all the outside noise would instantly make them shut it down if they came out and publicly backed him but they haven’t. Which says they could indeed make a change. But the sooner the better. By next week everyone’s back in training. Maybe the end of this week could be when they hold a meeting with ETH face to face when he’s back of holiday.

I wonder if the new contract Ineos put in front of him was very favourable for the club in the event they decided to sack him?

Could explain why he wouldn't sign.

This new contract offer refusal should've been the end of the twat too never mind the rest of the shit.
If you as a club offer a new contract that takes away his veto etc because you believe he's bought a load of shit in the rest of his tenure why the feck would you do a complete u-turn and spend another 200 million or whatever it was for him after he refused it. You'd surely just say "You need to sign this or there's the door."

They're cretins

What really pisses me off is the narrative that last season was because of injuries, yes injuries played a part but the main reason is because of the way ETH set us up last season. While the back four at times last season was very thin at times, common sense should suggest that you change tactically to protect the back four and make it harder to break down.

Instead what ETH did was make the midfield so open it was basically open season for opposition attackers on our back four. Resulting in defensive statistics that had us on par with the worst sides in the league, even breaking some records regarding shots faced. Yes the injuries were bad and maybe out of his control, but the way he set up despite that was HIS decision, even when we were a laughing stock it was HIS decision to change absolutely nothing. He's made a rod off his own back because of HIS own decisions last season not because of the injuries and I'm sick and tired of hearing otherwise.

A good comparison would be the Spurs match against Chelsea last season where Spurs went down to 9 men. Now at that point Spurs were still in the match either winning or drawing (can't remember which), but Ange changed nothing, persisted with the stupidly high line and in the end Chelsea won 4-1. Now while Chelsea may have probably gone on to win the match anyway, a big factor in the final scoreline was because Spurs made it so easy for Chelsea in that second half to cut through them. There's a difference between having a philosophy and accepting you need to make changes to adapt to certain situations. But ultimately what Ange did in that game and ETH for the whole of last season was naïve if you're being kind and stupid if you're not. The difference between us and Spurs though is ETH has spent way more than Ange but Ange's Spurs side at times plays football we can only dream of under ETH.

I agree, 100%. But most wouldn't listen to this at the time. They blamed injures and our ability to only put out a £500m team instead of an £800m team, as reasons for struggling against the likes of Palace, Brentford, Forest, Fulham, Burnley, Bournemouth, all the average teams in the CL group, Coventry etc. There were just some very obvious red flags with it all, but our supporters chose to ignore it. They ignored the 8th place finish because of a cup win, as though we are some mid table team.

The fact that they’ve not publicly come out and said his jobs safe tells us that they are indeed planning on a change. Hearing all the outside noise would instantly make them shut it down if they came out and publicly backed him but they haven’t. Which says they could indeed make a change. But the sooner the better. By next week everyone’s back in training. Maybe the end of this week could be when they hold a meeting with ETH face to face when he’s back of holiday.

Like others have said though, there's a big chance they say nothing at all. There's a chance that the subject of sacking him was barely discussed, and we're all waiting for nothing.

Theres no statement going to come out backing the manager if they have decided to keep him, as it will be seen as business as usual and following their process. No reason to back the manager publically again when they only did that recently.

No noise in this case isnt a good thing.

We’re not owed a public announcement if he’s staying. The one in the summer was different, it had been made clear his future was being debated and discussed. We’ll only hear something if he’s gone I think.

Theres no statement going to come out backing the manager if they have decided to keep him, as it will be seen as business as usual and following their process. No reason to back the manager publically again when they only did that recently.

No noise in this case isnt a good thing.
They’d brief he’s staying though. They don’t have to release a statement. Every journalist in football will be checking with the club asking if ETH will still be in charge for Brentford and currently they’re saying diddly squat.

They’d brief he’s staying though. They don’t have to release a statement. Every journalist in football will be checking with the club asking if ETH will still be in charge for Brentford and currently they’re saying diddly squat.
Yeah every journo in football wants to break this story. Twice as much with it being an international break and there is not much going on. Sort of explains why they are coming out with shite constantly to fill the news.