Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Its over exaggeration of fans who think that INEOS will have a 6 hour meeting and then come outside the office and say Ten Hag is sacked. That is the only outcome the fans would have accepted.

People who think SJR and INEOS are going to invest this much money, dont care about footballing results are just deluded.

The Glazers never put their own money in, so there was no risk, whereas INEOS are investing their money, they will want to see a return on that on the football pitch.

Patience is required at this time, its not all going to change 3 months after getting a new board.

Yeah, what do people expect? White smoke from a chimney?

If they are going to sack him, I feel they will wait until he get's back from holiday.
Any idea when this is?

I would assume that the club will have to start communicating with potential managers if they have decided on the sack, so him coming back from leave would delay that process.

It has to be this week

Any idea when this is?

I would assume that the club will have to start communicating with potential managers if they have decided on the sack, so him coming back from leave would delay that process.

It has to be this week
They could have decided to talk to replacements now and announce "EtH is sacked, this is the new manager" when that's done. EtH's vacation would be irrelevant in this scenario.

I’m confident INEOS is taking the right steps. Ten Hag stay, go, whatevers. Why? Because we’ve had a good transfer window and appointed good people in management positions. They certainly did not look clueless then.

I have some advice for the people who are having a meltdown: take a break from (not) supporting the club for a while online. You’ll feel a lot better. That’s what I did when I figured out Mourinho was going to be no good.
What would you do in Berrada and Sir Jim’s shoes?

Not sure what is so hard to understand.

- top replacements only available in the summer
- giving 8 months to an interim is too high of a risk, what if he fails spectacularly within 2 months?
- as worrying as the situation is, theoretically easier upcoming fixtures which could see us turn the situation around
- sacking is expensive

Rather waste this season in order to get a top top relpacement, than give it now to someone who doesn't guarantee better outcome

They could have decided to talk to replacements now and announce "EtH is sacked, this is the new manager" when that's done. EtH's vacation would be irrelevant in this scenario.
The moment that happens, then the rumours will begin.

I would assume that they would want to let the manager know that he is being relieved from his role before he hears it from the media.

I think they’re crazy if they don’t sack him.

There’s been so many moments in the past 12 months that many of us could point to and say ‘yeah he deserves the sack for that’. Could you imagine our elite tier peers tolerating finishing bottom of a Champions League group involving Galatasaray and Copenhagen?

- giving 8 months to an interim is too high of a risk, what if he fails spectacularly within 2 months?
- as worrying as the situation is, theoretically easier upcoming fixtures which could see us turn the situation around
- sacking is expensive

Rather waste this season in order to get a top top relpacement, than give it now to someone who doesn't guarantee better outcome

A interim isn't going to do worse though? They've already got the safety net of being an interim and that being known, no one would be expecting a title charge.

Who do you think the top top summer replacement would be? I've seen a few float this idea, and I do think there's genuine logic to it, I just can't think who it would be.

The more I look at the data under ETH the sadder it gets. We've had 27 non-unique 10 game stretches with a negative goal difference under him (compared to 18 under Ole, 11 under LvG, 6 under Ralf, 3 under Moyes, and 2 under Jose).

Non-exhaustive list:
  • His first 10 games had a goal difference of -1
  • Almost all successive 10 game stretches between end of Sept 2023 and Dec 2023 had a negative goal difference. Notable losses here are 3-0 to Newcastle, 3-0 to Man City, and 3-0 to Bournemouth. When we won, we won by one goal usually. There was also the 4-3 loss to Copenhagen in this period.
  • There was another rotten period between March and May of 2024, mostly negative goal difference for rolling 10 game windows. Notable losses here are 3-1 to City and 4-0 to Crystal Palace

For win rate, ETH has found himself with win rate of 30% of less over the preceding 10 games 12 times (LVG is ahead at 13, and Ole is far ahead on 20. Notably, Jose is the lowest at 1). The worst period was the 20% win rate in the period preceding and including the loss to Arsenal in May 2024.

The last thing is, how many times we lost by more than 2 or 3 goals and more, as a percentage of all games played. We do get spanked more than under any other manager, other than the disaster that was Ralf Rangnick who is often bottom of the list on all metrics :lol:

Lost by 2+ goals, and by 3+ goals (number of matches and % of all matches managed at United)

Manager2+ goals loss3+ goals loss
David Moyes7 (13.72%)3 (5.88%)
Louis van Gaal7 (6.8%)4 (3.88%)
José Mourinho8 (5.56%)2 (1.39%)
Ole Gunnar Solskjær23 (13.7%)5 (2.98%)
Ralf Rangnick4 (13.8%)3 (10.34%)
Erik Ten Hag17 (13.6%)10 (8%)

But... but... but ..he is the most successful manager since Fergie's retirement. Two cups.

Poor Ten Hag, second holiday he has had the prospect of being sacked looming over him. Should have been sacked the first time.
Hmmm, if he gets sacked, a massive payday awaits plus he is finally rid of the nightmare that is ageing him rapidly.

If he has as much belief in his ability as he exudes, he’ll also have an extremely positive outlook towards the future.

If he really wants to stay and thus has reason to be stressed whilst away, you’d think introspection would lead him to a better place than he has shown for the last 18 months.

- sacking is expensive

I could think of about 3 managers that could come in right now and make us instantly better. There’s absolutely no excuse as to why we aren’t playing decent football with the squad we have and the players we’ve just signed. Spurs have managed it straight away as have Brighton and even Chelsea with new managers.

It's hard to conclude anything other than Ineos aren't serious about making the club competitive again. They are happy for us to finish mid-table so they can save some money.
Doesn’t make sense. They have already done invested millions, poured money into building a much wanted “structure”, to not want to be competitive? No, that’s illogical. They know that for the money to flow through the club that they need to be competitive on the pitch.

Ratcliffe told us that it will take several years. Fans are getting ahead of themselves. The structure was just put in. It doesn’t mean that we are now going to automatically win.

IF they don’t remove ETH now, it’s not a pant shitting moment (I desperately want him to go). It’s just that they are literally in the door and want to their time to ensure it’s right. November isn’t that far away now either.

I think he's got away with it this time but a couple of bad results after the international break and he's a gonna. He should have lost his job and I honestly can't see the point in keeping him

I think he's got away with it this time but a couple of bad results after the international break and he's a gonna. He should have lost his job and I honestly can't see the point in keeping him
He got away with it during the last international break when he should have gone. Come back to more shit results and another international break where he should have gone again. I'm convinced if he doesn't go now he won't be going until the end of the season. Any later than now and the season is gone.

It’s not so much pressure it’s about optics, fan sentiment and good will which is fast expiring if you speak to any United fan.
Largely irrelevant. If they think they have made the right decision and he wins games, you think fans are going to be like "yeah they were right but I wanted him sacked so now Im not going to support the club anymore even though they won the league and I was proved wrong".

If he stays then I'm pretty sure we will fail to beat to Brentford and this whole mess roams on

There are people who don't seem to realise how bad it is. In the last 19 PL matches (half a season worth) we are 14th and have 23 points. And to add context, 6 of those points came at the end of last season in dead rubber matches which we'd have likely lost otherwise (losing to Brighton away this season for example, when they were more competitive than the end of last season)

This is legitimately relegation form. With players who are key players for their international teams and have been key players for the best teams in the World.

He got away with it during the last international break when he should have gone. Come back to more shit results and another international break where he should have gone again. I'm convinced if he doesn't go now he won't be going until the end of the season. Any later than now and the season is gone.

Firstly, can we afford to get rid of him in view of our FFP situation? Secondly, can we afford to keep him based on the clear downward trend he has been indicating since March 2023? There are financial/commercial penalties for being a midtable club two seasons in a row.

Time to roll the dice INEOS.

- sacking is expensive

Who is this top top replacement that will suddenly become available though?

Looking at some of the options that may be consider top targets.

Klopp & Pep - never going to happen
Alonso - I think we're kidding ourselves if we think we can get him
Zidane - if he won't take the job now, there's no reason why he takes it in the summer
Nagelsman - it would be easier to get him now than in the summer
Inzaghi - probably the most credible option to wait around for but not known whether he would be interested?

Other than that it's hoping Ancelotti or Flick get sacked or leave at the end of the season.

The chances are, that it's a similar pool of managers available and maybe a few other lower level managers that would rather not switch jobs mid season.

Wait around for the "ideal" choice and you may not get it and you've wasted a season for no reason.

INEOS was quick to communicate with the fanbase when the sentiment was positive. Now, they need to take a clear stance and either support the manager or sack him, no inbetweens. If they’ve decided to let him see out the season, they should stand by that decision and communicate it. However, if his future is still uncertain and depends on the next 2-3 games, it raises concerns about whether they are truly better than the Glazers.

Last edited:
The stats don’t lie folks, we’re in relegation form (and have been since last season) we’re at best throwing away the season, at worst getting relegated if this carries on

Sack him and make him pay off the Antony transfer like a student loan.
Relegated? Don't talk shite.

- sacking is expensive

I see a lot of people mentioning this logic of wanting to ride out this season and replace ETH in the summer. Who is the top top replacement who is going to be available in the summer?

Alonso and Nagelsmann aren't any more attainable in the summer than they are now.

Anyone from one of the smaller PL teams like Frank or Iraola or Silva won't be any more available, we will have to pay compensation regardless. Similarly with Amorim or someone from another European club, we aren't going to get them for free.

Ancelotti is probably the only one if he leaves Real.

So of the obvious names (Keeping in mind we do not know everyone who might be on such a list), who is going to be available in the summer who is not available now?

Doesn’t make sense. They have already done invested millions, poured money into building a much wanted “structure”, to not want to be competitive? No, that’s illogical. They know that for the money to flow through the club that they need to be competitive on the pitch.

Ratcliffe told us that it will take several years. Fans are getting ahead of themselves. The structure was just put in. It doesn’t mean that we are now going to automatically win.

IF they don’t remove ETH now, it’s not a pant shitting moment (I desperately want him to go). It’s just that they are literally in the door and want to their time to ensure it’s right. November isn’t that far away now either.

November is meaningless, much like this international break. If he survives this one then they'll keep him for this season at the very least. If this terrible form can't get him sacked, then a few wins here and there this season, solid midtable finish and some good cup runs will probably give them enough to give him a new contract.

I see a lot of people mentioning this logic of wanting to ride out this season and replace ETH in the summer. Who is the top top replacement who is going to be available in the summer?

Alonso and Nagelsmann aren't any more attainable in the summer than they are now.

Anyone from one of the smaller PL teams like Frank or Iraola or Silva won't be any more available, we will have to pay compensation regardless. Similarly with Amorim or someone from another European club, we aren't going to get them for free.

Ancelotti is probably the only one if he leaves Real.

So of the obvious names (Keeping in mind we do not know everyone who might be on such a list), who is going to be available in the summer who is not available now?
Exactly. It’s just another excuse for people to use who still trust in and support Erik Ten Hag but in a way that doesn’t go against the overwhelming majority of the fanbase at the moment.

November is meaningless, much like this international break. If he survives this one then they'll keep him for this season at the very least. If this terrible form can't get him sacked, then a few wins here and there this season, solid midtable finish and some good cup runs will probably give them enough to give him a new contract.
I think they'll sack him but it'll be at the most pointless, inconvenient time possible. Probably when even the Conference League is impossible. Whatever contract Ten Hag has it'll be the legacy one that the Glazer dickheads approved before Ineos rocked up. It probably has a clause in it that states we have to pay Ten Hag his entire contract unless Old Trafford burns to the ground because when he first joined he was promised lots of time to develop his "process".

The world really has moved on in the last decade and we've squandered everything that the club has built up since the 80s. It should never be underestimated how many feck ups we've had to endure. Why not one last mad ride before things get better?

- sacking is expensive

It's already failing spectacularly to be fair.

What if a top, top replacement isn't available this summer?

There are no guarantees in football when it comes to hiring managers.

- sacking is expensive

This was the argument for waiting for the current guy in charge! Also, if you do worse than Ten Hag at this point you should be replaced by the youth coach and retire.