Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Actually it is correct. Just for fun, AI (see paras below) tells me this is aligned with proper procedure. Also EtH is making it difficult to proceed with point 2 by going away on holiday. This must be deliberate.

When sacking a manager of an English Premier League (EPL) team after a board meeting, it's important to handle the process in a professional and respectful manner. Here's a general approach:

1. Confidentiality and Timing: Keep discussions about the manager’s future confidential. Announce the decision at an appropriate time to avoid media leaks or speculation before the manager is informed. Ideally, inform the manager privately before any public announcement.

2. Private Meeting: Hold a face-to-face meeting with the manager, attended by the club chairman or other relevant board members. The conversation should be direct but respectful, highlighting that the decision has been made based on the best interests of the club.

3. Explain the Decision: Provide clear, honest, and constructive feedback about why the decision was reached. Focus on performance metrics, strategic misalignment, or other non-personal factors that led to the board’s decision. Avoid assigning personal blame.

4. Contractual and Legal Obligations: Ensure that the manager is informed about their severance package, compensation, and any ongoing contractual obligations. EPL managers often have specific clauses related to termination, so it's important to handle this legally.

5. Respectful Exit: Offer the manager the chance to leave with dignity, such as allowing them to make a public statement or agreeing on a joint statement from the club that frames the departure amicably.

6. Internal Communication: After the manager is informed, communicate the decision to the rest of the staff and the players before making any public announcement. This helps manage internal morale and prevents rumors.

7. Public Announcement: Issue a professional and respectful public statement acknowledging the manager's contributions to the club. Emphasize any positive achievements during their tenure and express gratitude for their efforts.

Following these steps ensures a smoother transition, protects the club’s image, and allows for the manager’s exit with professionalism.
Thank you for this post! If a decision was made to sack him, it's better for all involved that nothing is leaked and there is a month process. We've not had any confirmation or briefing that he's definitely staying for now, do let's give it a few days before throwing toys out of the pram.

Two draws, but 14th in the league and one point in our Europa group. Hopefully owners who are paid thousands to run the club don't share your opinion here.

It would seem they do. He will remain manager until at least the end of the season. Remember that.

The fact that everyone was looking for this big meeting and got no statement from the club is hilarious. Talk about finger on the pulse.

The more I look at the data under ETH the sadder it gets. We've had 27 non-unique 10 game stretches with a negative goal difference under him (compared to 18 under Ole, 11 under LvG, 6 under Ralf, 3 under Moyes, and 2 under Jose).

Non-exhaustive list:
  • His first 10 games had a goal difference of -1
  • Almost all successive 10 game stretches between end of Sept 2023 and Dec 2023 had a negative goal difference. Notable losses here are 3-0 to Newcastle, 3-0 to Man City, and 3-0 to Bournemouth. When we won, we won by one goal usually. There was also the 4-3 loss to Copenhagen in this period.
  • There was another rotten period between March and May of 2024, mostly negative goal difference for rolling 10 game windows. Notable losses here are 3-1 to City and 4-0 to Crystal Palace

For win rate, ETH has found himself with win rate of 30% of less over the preceding 10 games 12 times (LVG is ahead at 13, and Ole is far ahead on 20. Notably, Jose is the lowest at 1). The worst period was the 20% win rate in the period preceding and including the loss to Arsenal in May 2024.

The last thing is, how many times we lost by more than 2 or 3 goals and more, as a percentage of all games played. We do get spanked more than under any other manager, other than the disaster that was Ralf Rangnick who is often bottom of the list on all metrics :lol:

Lost by 2+ goals, and by 3+ goals (number of matches and % of all matches managed at United)

Manager2+ goals loss3+ goals loss
David Moyes7 (13.72%)3 (5.88%)
Louis van Gaal7 (6.8%)4 (3.88%)
José Mourinho8 (5.56%)2 (1.39%)
Ole Gunnar Solskjær23 (13.7%)5 (2.98%)
Ralf Rangnick4 (13.8%)3 (10.34%)
Erik Ten Hag17 (13.6%)10 (8%)
Moyes looks good in that list. How the feck.

I still think he's going to be sacked. That 6 hr meeting with ETH on holiday (Ole was sacked after a holiday as well) lead to that direction.

That's a load of guff to be fair. I've no idea how this myth persists.

He didn't know he was leaving when he had lunch with Pep, and Pep agreed to join Bayern before Fergie did decide to retire.

Kloop said he was never offered the job in 2013

Fergie only met with Ancelotti months after telling Moyes not to renew his contract in February because in Fergies words if he was out of contract it would ''make it easier for United''.

Moyes was Ferguson's first choice.

Sorry. I prefer to trust the man himself.

He's framing it that way but the reality is that he hasn't been told anything one way or the other so he's assuming because there's nothing planned yet

5 caf randoms plus rimaldo, steve J, and horsechoker can get a lot more done in 6 hours than them.....

I absolutely guarantee his sacking is going to be announced this morning and if it isn’t I promise to delete this post.
Wouldn’t bank on it mate. You’d have thought they’d have done it last night if anything. They know there’s potential replacements they can get so I don’t see any other reason why they’d stick.

I still think he's going to be sacked. That 6 hr meeting with ETH on holiday (Ole was sacked after a holiday as well) lead to that direction.
Was Ten Hag part of Septembers monthly meeting do you know?

Didn’t think about it before but it seems weird having a meeting to discuss the clubs future without the manager present

Are you sure ?
Wasn't there a match away where they were 2-0 up and we somehow won 3-2.
Then Frank mentioned the small Brentford vs the big Manchester united
You're thinking about Southamton and that was Hassenhuthl
https://www.eurosport.com/football/...won-the-premier-league_sto8013327/story.shtml

While Brentford was promoted to the Premier League when Ole was still our manager, he never had the occasion to face off against him as he got sacked. Instead we got Ragnick and Frank being bitter that we beat them.

Didn’t think about it before but it seems weird having a meeting to discuss the clubs future without the manager present

Those are board meetings, the manager has no business participating. The football person that is concerned by it is the DOF and he was there.

Guys give up, he's not getting the sack. We're stuck with him till the end of the season

I don't know that but having the manager on holiday during a crisis usually means 1 thing especially when there's a 6 hr meeting like that involves every senior football person in it. It's also strange how a media friendly person like SJR ended up avoiding the media

Anyone who thought that SJR would come out with a glass of bubbly shouting "he is out" is seriously deluded. There's so many moving parts going on some of whom might need the manager's good will (ex how his compensation should be structured and what should be said to the media afterwards). The club will also need to discuss the next course of action, whom to hire, if there is going to be the temp (if any), for how long etc.

Now every man and his dog know I wasn't pro ineos. So I have zero motivation in defending them. But this is purely the Fans fault. We (not me but the collective) insisted on the club keeping eth based on just 1 game. Now we are reaping the results of it

I wouldn't have thought we'd hear anything for a few days. If they've decided to keep him it'll be a statement of backing today, if not it's likely they're working on things in the background.

They won't announce his sacking without anyone lined you to take over that's for sure.

I wouldn't have thought we'd hear anything for a few days. If they've decided to keep him it'll be a statement of backing today, if not it's likely they're working on things in the background.

They won't announce his sacking without anyone lined you to take over that's for sure.
There's not really any reason to give any statement if they are keeping him. They have backed in publicly twice in the past couple months.

If they are going to sack him, I feel they will wait until he get's back from holiday.

Hard disagree. It’s an international break, our next match isn’t for 10 days. Plenty of time to find an interim, or elevate Ruud into the role before we start interviewing.

Poor Ten Hag, second holiday he has had the prospect of being sacked looming over him. Should have been sacked the first time.

We will be aware of their tricks. Something like that doesn’t work for an extended period of time. Kudos for them pulling it off several times though, it’s awesome.

Indeed, especially with United being well known for our preparation and resolute defensive structure recently.

Last edited:

This minus I don't expect a statement if he's staying. Otherwise you're almost setting a precedent that whenever they gather for a meeting they have to announce if the manager is safe or not, which is daft. It's not like it was officially announced it was a meeting about his sacking.

I'm still hopeful he's gone, but unfortunately I won't be shocked if he somehow clings on, even if it's totally unjustfied.

Sorry. I prefer to trust the man himself.

Great but most of what I wrote is from Ferguson's Autobiography mate. Have you read it?

The only bit that isn't is about Klopp, but Klopp's been directly quoted as saying he was never offered the job in 2013.

Hard disagree. It’s an international break, our next match isn’t for 10 days. Plenty of time to find an interim, or elevate Ruud into the role before we start interviewing.

It is plenty of time but there's little reason to back themselves into a corner with a statement that Ten Hag is gone. I doubt they'll care too much about the fans impatience.

I know Ten Hag announced his displeasure at the way they handled things last time but they won't care.

I don't know that but having the manager on holiday during a crisis usually means 1 thing especially when there's a 6 hr meeting like that involves every senior football person in it.

Was it a crisis meeting? Apparently it was pre-planned.

It is plenty of time but there's little reason to back themselves into a corner with a statement that Ten Hag is gone. I doubt they'll care too much about the fans impatience.

I know Ten Hag announced his displeasure at the way they handled things last time but they won't care.
With the pressure on now, there’s no way we are going to leave this fester. Especially if it’s been decided he’s not going to be in charge of the next match.

They’re going to want to be seen as decisive now, if they delay this for another few days the pressure from the media and fans is going to be ridiculous and then if they go ahead with it at the end of the week or start of next week people will be asking “why now? Why wasn’t this decision taken a week ago?”

The fact that everyone was looking for this big meeting and got no statement from the club is hilarious. Talk about finger on the pulse.

Yeah, I don't know what people expected. An announcement he's sacked five minutes after it's over?

Even if that's what they decided, they would take time to communicate it to the people involved.

And also, there are other options of what they've decided to do - none of which lead to the idea that INEOS don't care about our football performances.

With the pressure on now, there’s no way we are going to leave this fester. Especially if it’s been decided he’s not going to be in charge of the next match.

They’re going to want to be seen as decisive now, if they delay this for another few days the pressure from the media and fans is going to be ridiculous and then if they go ahead with it at the end of the week or start of next week people will be asking “why now? Why wasn’t this decision taken a week ago?”

How are they affected by fan pressure right now? Angry people on X?

The fact nobody in the media knows what's happening is hilarious. They are having to put out clickbait nonsense like 'Ten Hag clings on to this job..for now'. :lol:

What a load of drivel Ole was sacked the day after the Watford game and was still in Manchester when it happened

How are they affected by fan pressure right now? Angry people on X?
It’s not so much pressure it’s about optics, fan sentiment and good will which is fast expiring if you speak to any United fan.

Yeah, I don't know what people expected. An announcement he's sacked five minutes after it's over?

Even if that's what they decided, they would take time to communicate it to the people involved.

And also, there are other options of what they've decided to do - none of which lead to the idea that INEOS don't care about our football performances.

Its over exaggeration of fans who think that INEOS will have a 6 hour meeting and then come outside the office and say Ten Hag is sacked. That is the only outcome the fans would have accepted.

People who think SJR and INEOS are going to invest this much money, dont care about footballing results are just deluded.

The Glazers never put their own money in, so there was no risk, whereas INEOS are investing their money, they will want to see a return on that on the football pitch.

Patience is required at this time, its not all going to change 3 months after getting a new board.