Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am as ETH out as anyone but some of the takes in this thread are winding me up a little.

First of all, they decided to keep ETH in the summer .The extension therefore was necessary. No point keeping a lame duck manager. They fully knew the risk of the extension and then having to sack him this season. They did it anyway. Looking 'silly' for backing the manager is not going to be a consideration. If they feel they need to sack him, they will.

Second, the idea that they backed ETH with 'his' players is laughable. Maz is an excellent fullback that most any club in the world would want in their squad. Yoro is a generational defender and suited to modern football tactics no matter the manager. De Ligt has world class potential and despite a slow start to life at OT has still shown his strengths both ends of the pitch and with the ball at his feet. Ugarte is a mobile defensive midfielder suited to numerous tactical set ups. Zirzkee is not an elite finisher, neither was Firminho who I see as a player that played Zirkzee's perfect role, but is mobile, technical, adept at playing numerous positions and most of all presses well and is press-resistant with the ball at his feet. Hold up play is good as well. Room for improvement as well. All of the summer signings are players that any manager we bring in will be excited to work with. It takes time to settle in at a new club, new country, etc etc. Judging players off of 10 matches at a new club is folly.

INEOS are not perfect and not above criticism. I'm sort of desperate at this point to see ETH gone but I support the decision to keep him if that's what INEOS decide. I';ll just continue to hate watching my club for the time being. But to be honest, the PLAYERS are the biggest problem, IMO. And my suspicion, or maybe better put my blindly optimistic hope, is INEOS have sussed out that the squad is the issue and perhaps have decided to stick with ETH until the summer and then weed out the players that are dragging this club down.
Wait, what? You seemed to be saying that we brought in top players, but then turned it around and said the players are the problem…

feck me, that is one helluva take

Wait, what? You seemed to be saying that we brought in top players, but then turned it around and said the players are the problem…

I'm not sure if he means that the problem are SOME of the players. Coincidentally, the 3 players that are getting the most stick this season? Rashford, Shaw and Bruno. All of them, pre-Ten Hag.

Results and performances are only an ego thing anyway.

The process is where it's at. Even if it's a seemingly never ending process with little or no discernible progress.
There was a lot of this in the NBA. Philadelphia Sixers, basically intentionally losing to get high draft positions, accumulating draft picks and trading away good players for draft assets and cap flexibility. That was 2013… they still haven’t won a championship.

Hard to win a championship if you are a Harvard MBA and more interested in increasing company valuation rather than winning trophies.

I won't be supporting him one bit, sorry INEOS you lost me today in the same way Erik did

Take a beater blocker, you're acting hysterical.

Can you confirm that you're stopping supporting us until ten hag has gone? I think another 24 posts saying it will definitely confirm how you're feeling.

I'm not sure if he means that the problem are SOME of the players. Coincidentally, the 3 players that are getting the most stick this season? Rashford, Shaw and Bruno. All of them, pre-Ten Hag.
With all due respect, none of the new signings have done particularly well with the exception of Mazraoui, who, if I can remind you, happens to be a RB, and a former Ten Hag player, which, because we actually needed a LB, forced Dalot to move to LB. And he’s (Dalot) promptly been at fault for conceding several goals.

Rashford has been decent, Shaw hasn’t played. Bruno has been poor, admittedly.

And we’re 14th. And we haven’t won in Europe in a 2nd class competition.

To me, this has a giant arrow pointing to shitty coaching.

He bought some players for a system that didn’t work for 90% of last season which made him revert to defensive football right at the end which helped us win a trophy.

He goes on to buy more players for his system and failed again. He reverted to old system to save his job, yet again.

Why is this guy even selling players who played have been here for long if he keeps going back to them after seeing how incompetent he is in setting up his own style?

“Impossible to play like Ajax”. This guy had 3 summer windows to mould his team to play like that. Yet he chose to play the transition bullshit. Sack him and put an end to this misery.

Take a beater blocker, you're acting hysterical.

Can you confirm that you're stopping supporting us until ten hag has gone? I think another 24 posts saying it will definitely confirm how you're feeling.

Heck if draws and losses make this exit quicker then so be it, just feel nothing whilst he's still in charge. Shame because really thought he was the man after League Cup win. I still have my local team to support so at least have some Football to enjoy. Maybe INEOS will see sense at some point but definitely not holding my breath on that.

Last edited:
So ineos are not the best in class? how could we've imagined? we only had Nice as proof....Shocking

Same. I’d love for him to come here. Unfortunately he doesn’t speak English, much like Zidane.

Damn didn't realise he had trouble with English too, yeah if Zidane wanted to manage here then would put in the effort to learn it. I know Bielsa used a translator but generally it doesn't work well here.

Damn didn't realise he had trouble with English too, yeah if Zidane wanted to manage here then would put in the effort to learn it. I know Bielsa used a translator but generally it doesn't work well here.
Yeah. I think Pochettino used a translator when he was manager of Southampton, but as time went on his English got better and therefore he didn’t need to use one.

We will concede a goal after 20 seconds against Brentford.
We will be aware of their tricks. Something like that doesn’t work for an extended period of time. Kudos for them pulling it off several times though, it’s awesome.

They actually kept quiet :lol:

It’s actually a little pathetic to leave fans hanging like this
Actually it is correct. Just for fun, AI (see paras below) tells me this is aligned with proper procedure. Also EtH is making it difficult to proceed with point 2 by going away on holiday. This must be deliberate.

When sacking a manager of an English Premier League (EPL) team after a board meeting, it's important to handle the process in a professional and respectful manner. Here's a general approach:

1. Confidentiality and Timing: Keep discussions about the manager’s future confidential. Announce the decision at an appropriate time to avoid media leaks or speculation before the manager is informed. Ideally, inform the manager privately before any public announcement.

2. Private Meeting: Hold a face-to-face meeting with the manager, attended by the club chairman or other relevant board members. The conversation should be direct but respectful, highlighting that the decision has been made based on the best interests of the club.

3. Explain the Decision: Provide clear, honest, and constructive feedback about why the decision was reached. Focus on performance metrics, strategic misalignment, or other non-personal factors that led to the board’s decision. Avoid assigning personal blame.

4. Contractual and Legal Obligations: Ensure that the manager is informed about their severance package, compensation, and any ongoing contractual obligations. EPL managers often have specific clauses related to termination, so it's important to handle this legally.

5. Respectful Exit: Offer the manager the chance to leave with dignity, such as allowing them to make a public statement or agreeing on a joint statement from the club that frames the departure amicably.

6. Internal Communication: After the manager is informed, communicate the decision to the rest of the staff and the players before making any public announcement. This helps manage internal morale and prevents rumors.

7. Public Announcement: Issue a professional and respectful public statement acknowledging the manager's contributions to the club. Emphasize any positive achievements during their tenure and express gratitude for their efforts.

Following these steps ensures a smoother transition, protects the club’s image, and allows for the manager’s exit with professionalism.

I’m confident INEOS is taking the right steps. Ten Hag stay, go, whatevers. Why? Because we’ve had a good transfer window and appointed good people in management positions. They certainly did not look clueless then.

I have some advice for the people who are having a meltdown: take a break from (not) supporting the club for a while online. You’ll feel a lot better. That’s what I did when I figured out Mourinho was going to be no good.

Actually it is correct. Just for fun, AI (see paras below) tells me this is aligned with proper procedure. Also EtH is making it difficult to proceed with point 2 by going away on holiday. This must be deliberate.

When sacking a manager of an English Premier League (EPL) team after a board meeting, it's important to handle the process in a professional and respectful manner. Here's a general approach:

1. Confidentiality and Timing: Keep discussions about the manager’s future confidential. Announce the decision at an appropriate time to avoid media leaks or speculation before the manager is informed. Ideally, inform the manager privately before any public announcement.

2. Private Meeting: Hold a face-to-face meeting with the manager, attended by the club chairman or other relevant board members. The conversation should be direct but respectful, highlighting that the decision has been made based on the best interests of the club.

3. Explain the Decision: Provide clear, honest, and constructive feedback about why the decision was reached. Focus on performance metrics, strategic misalignment, or other non-personal factors that led to the board’s decision. Avoid assigning personal blame.

4. Contractual and Legal Obligations: Ensure that the manager is informed about their severance package, compensation, and any ongoing contractual obligations. EPL managers often have specific clauses related to termination, so it's important to handle this legally.

5. Respectful Exit: Offer the manager the chance to leave with dignity, such as allowing them to make a public statement or agreeing on a joint statement from the club that frames the departure amicably.

6. Internal Communication: After the manager is informed, communicate the decision to the rest of the staff and the players before making any public announcement. This helps manage internal morale and prevents rumors.

7. Public Announcement: Issue a professional and respectful public statement acknowledging the manager's contributions to the club. Emphasize any positive achievements during their tenure and express gratitude for their efforts.

Following these steps ensures a smoother transition, protects the club’s image, and allows for the manager’s exit with professionalism.

INEOS nearly reached stage 4 of this back in May after the battering at Palace, they then saw so many of fanbase blinded by FA Cup win (don't forget Mitten UWS poll too) that they went back on the original plan to sack

INEOS nearly reached stage 4 of this back in May after the battering at Palace, they then saw so many of fanbase blinded by FA Cup win (don't forget Mitten UWS poll too) that they went back on the original plan to sack
Well it’s not as straightforward a situation as a bunch of fans on here make it out to be. Look at Chelsea last season: good squad, good coach, crap results until the latter part of the season.

The performance we popped out for the FA cup final was just astoundingly good. On the back of three PL wins it was no surprise we decided to keep him.

They caught up with him in Ibiza during summer, however certain they won't be paying a visit this time
He's probably gone to a not so desirable destination this time round to make sure they don't follow him. Has anyone checked round Liverpool?

He bought some players for a system that didn’t work for 90% of last season which made him revert to defensive football right at the end which helped us win a trophy.

He goes on to buy more players for his system and failed again. He reverted to old system to save his job, yet again.

Why is this guy even selling players who played have been here for long if he keeps going back to them after seeing how incompetent he is in setting up his own style?

“Impossible to play like Ajax”. This guy had 3 summer windows to mould his team to play like that. Yet he chose to play the transition bullshit. Sack him and put an end to this misery.

If only he was able to convince ol' Frenkie to leave Barca.... all would be so different!

Next summer perhaps?

You couldn't make it up could you. And it's getting likes from the staff too!

The more I look at the data under ETH the sadder it gets. We've had 27 non-unique 10 game stretches with a negative goal difference under him (compared to 18 under Ole, 11 under LvG, 6 under Ralf, 3 under Moyes, and 2 under Jose).

Non-exhaustive list:
  • His first 10 games had a goal difference of -1
  • Almost all successive 10 game stretches between end of Sept 2023 and Dec 2023 had a negative goal difference. Notable losses here are 3-0 to Newcastle, 3-0 to Man City, and 3-0 to Bournemouth. When we won, we won by one goal usually. There was also the 4-3 loss to Copenhagen in this period.
  • There was another rotten period between March and May of 2024, mostly negative goal difference for rolling 10 game windows. Notable losses here are 3-1 to City and 4-0 to Crystal Palace

For win rate, ETH has found himself with win rate of 30% of less over the preceding 10 games 12 times (LVG is ahead at 13, and Ole is far ahead on 20. Notably, Jose is the lowest at 1). The worst period was the 20% win rate in the period preceding and including the loss to Arsenal in May 2024.

The last thing is, how many times we lost by more than 2 or 3 goals and more, as a percentage of all games played. We do get spanked more than under any other manager, other than the disaster that was Ralf Rangnick who is often bottom of the list on all metrics :lol:

Lost by 2+ goals, and by 3+ goals (number of matches and % of all matches managed at United)

Manager2+ goals loss3+ goals loss
David Moyes7 (13.72%)3 (5.88%)
Louis van Gaal7 (6.8%)4 (3.88%)
José Mourinho8 (5.56%)2 (1.39%)
Ole Gunnar Solskjær23 (13.7%)5 (2.98%)
Ralf Rangnick4 (13.8%)3 (10.34%)
Erik Ten Hag17 (13.6%)10 (8%)

I’m confident INEOS is taking the right steps. Ten Hag stay, go, whatevers. Why? Because we’ve had a good transfer window and appointed good people in management positions. They certainly did not look clueless then.

I have some advice for the people who are having a meltdown: take a break from (not) supporting the club for a while online. You’ll feel a lot better. That’s what I did when I figured out Mourinho was going to be no good.
This is said a lot, but have we really? Zirkzee and Ugarte look very questionable in terms of quality. Aside from that, are they really the kind of profile we needed? Zirkzee isn't a striker and is more of a false nine/no 10 when we were crying out for another proper goal scorer. Ugarte's biggest weakness is his ability on the ball and isn't the type of no6 you would want for a team aiming to play attacking football out from the back. This is very concerning considering we spent half our budget on those two.

I agree the backroom appointments looked good, but what's the point if they are incapable of making decisions like sacking a manager who's clearly out of their depth and in freefall? Either they're not as competent as we thought or they don't have the actual final say. What other team in the top 10 would have allowed two consecutive hammerings at home of 3-0 on the back of said teams worst ever PL and European performance? Having blind faith in people hasn't really worked out well for us as we should have learnt from ETH.

Well it’s not as straightforward a situation as a bunch of fans on here make it out to be. Look at Chelsea last season: good squad, good coach, crap results until the latter part of the season.

The performance we popped out for the FA cup final was just astoundingly good. On the back of three PL wins it was no surprise we decided to keep him.
It was a decent win with a fluke of a goal. Absolutely nowhere near "astoundingly good" as yes it was a surprise we kept him because everyone knew he was going but they changed their mind the pillocks.

He's framing it that way but the reality is that he hasn't been told anything one way or the other so he's assuming because there's nothing planned yet

Annoyingly, it seems they're only considering the start of this season. Last season was also the worst start to a season....until this one. Not to mention all the other negative variables around this team and his management.

Annoyingly, it seems they're only considering the start of this season. Last season was also the worst start to a season....until this one. Not to mention all the other negative variables around this team and his management.

Yeah it's like they have forgotten about the 4-0 defeat away at Palace, mad to think that game could have been even worse. The Bournemouth defeat just before xmas was diabolical

They must be waiting for a very specific manager. That is the only thing that could possibly explain how they could be set to keep him. Nagelsman or Inzaghi maybe? They must have some plan, other than hoping Ten Hag becomes good at some point.

I guess its going to be the same regurgitated discussion on ETH over the international break until he is standing on the sidelines looking gormless while Brentford are all over us in the game Saturday after next. Sigh....

We’re 14th but still only 6pts of top 4. A leathering at home against not even one of the top half teams will see him shown the door. The OT crowd won’t stand for it and will put pressure on the owners.
The OT crowd will applaud him like he just cured cancer and AIDS the moment he will stand up.

As a fanbase, we actually deserve EtH. Let’s not forget that even Caf, which is much more hostile than OT towards managers, voted to keep EtH at the end of last season. OT crowd probably thinks that he is right there with Guardiola and Ancelotti, probably slightly better.

They must be waiting for a very specific manager. That is the only thing that could possibly explain how they could be set to keep him. Nagelsman or Inzaghi maybe? They must have some plan, other than hoping Ten Hag becomes good at some point.

They still could have got interim until May instead of just carrying on with this mess

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

The OT crowd will applaud him like he just cured cancer and AIDS the moment he will stand up.

As a fanbase, we actually deserve EtH. Let’s not forget that even Caf, which is much more hostile than OT towards managers, voted to keep EtH at the end of last season. OT crowd probably thinks that he is right there with Guardiola and Ancelotti, probably slightly better.

Oh yeah without a doubt he feels no pressure from the crowd because many blindly back manager