Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
We’ll surely we’ll have to win again some time this season? From reading this forum, you’d think we’re on our way towards relegation.
I am not really sure that this is true, probably we will win again under ETH if he remains employed, however I could not tell you right now which team in the prem I think we are actually better than at the moment or would probably beat.

As for relegation, if we continue to play like we have been there is every chance we would be in the relegation fight, I am not sure what matches other people are watching but we have been the worst team for at least half of every game we have played this season, we have had odd short spells within games where we are on top, but other than we are Man Utd "too big and too much quality to go down" I am not sure where the optimism comes from, 14th flatters us right now, spawny against Fulham, and were 2nd best to Southampton for 30+ minutes, but for that penalty save we would probably have lost, that is 6 of the 8 points we have!

We’ll surely we’ll have to win again some time this season? From reading this forum, you’d think we’re on our way towards relegation.

Well we are 14th....

My general assumption is we'll continue to lose and draw most of our away games and scrape wins at home against mid table and lower clubs. Basically what it's been for the last 18 months.

This give the manager time is really getting on my nerves. We're not in 1987 anymore. The role Sir Alex and Sir Matt had is gone. Their job is broken in a million roles from DOF to Sporting director right to technical director, academy manager, chief scouts and data analysts. Sir Alex latter reign saw him transitioning from manager to Sporting director in all but name as most of the day to day things were handled by Phelan and Rene.

These days managers are glorified PE teachers. Their job is to conduct training, make sure that the squad is properly motivated and win games on the pitch. Sure he might have a say on transfers but that can be overruled. Even the likes of Klopp has to bow to that system and for good reason. Managers tend to want their own men as they strengthen their hand in and out of the dressing room. Just listen to the UNITED SEG telling his audience that on one hand ETH must be backed in January and on the other hand sacking ETH would cost us 200m as his squad (the Eredivisie one) will probably be made redundant after the manager is gone. Making themselves too expensive to get rid off is one of the ways managers gain control over things.

Managers these days are judged on progression. Are we moving forward yes or no? If the answer is no then he should be sacked
A bit simplified but I agree. What we ought to do when saying “give him time” is define it - what do we mean by that phrase?

I think that most clubs lack patience nowadays, but I also think we’ve shown ETH more than enough. When I use the phrase “give him time” it means that a few bad games shouldn’t determine whether or not we sack a manager. But we should quite quickly be able to see where the manager wants the team to be in a season.

Take Thomas Frank who lost his first 8 games in charge of Brentford. It was of course very worrying, but the direction was clear and they were unlucky with a couple of the results based on XG. After those 8 games he hasn’t looked back. A clear style of play in the championship, another, but also clear, style in the prem, all his players always know excactly what to do. But that’s only the case because the club gave him time.

Arteta, Klopp (and now Ange maybe) were give time as well because it was evident where they wanted to take their teams - and because the improved them gradually, even though the process could be frustrating.

Contrast that to us and ETH who has had seasons to implement a clear style of play and buy the players he wants, but still no one can see where he wants the team to go. The last straw for me is that he has not been able to make the team tick even with all his favorites on the pitch.

Since when?

The reports are that Yoro and Ugarte were club-led signings. Zirkzee also has no particular connection to ETH other than being Dutch, nor was it reported anywhere I can see that he was an ETH-led signing.

De Ligt has an obvious connection to ETH, but ETH outright said that the club suggested the signing. Which tracks given all the reports that the club had interest in him when he made his prior moves to Juve and Bayern. We also know we were initially interested in Branthwaite, again with zero indication that was a particularly ETH-led pursuit either.

That leaves Mazraoui, the cheapest of the signings, replacing a player who who was out of contract next summer, and offering an obvious upgrade on him.

It's hardly some massive commitment to ETH personally, unless you start making unfounded assumptions about who "directed" these transfers.

We know ETH has a veto, so targets will all be okayed by him, but that doesn't mean he drove them. And in the case of several of them, it's been directly reported he didn't.

It's also possible they gave him 5 options for every position. And he vetoed every option other than the Ajax/Dutch players for RB, CB and CF.

And to be fair Ten Hag didn't sign the new contract that Ineos reportedly wanted him to sign to remove some of his powers. So he'll still have the same level of control of transfers that he had prior to the takeover. Supposedly one of the hold ups in the Ugarte deal was Ten Hag didn't want him and had to be convinced over a number of weeks.

If you look at it objectively if this was an Ineos led window then it's a bit of a coincidence that 3 of the 5 signings we made are all Dutch and/or ex Ajax. Carrying on the trend from the previous 2 summer windows.

As the club languishes in 14th place, ten Hag thinks it is a “fairytale” to write that he may be on the brink of being sacked.

The players have done well, we won last season – maybe you forgot?

Big words for the manager of Manchester United who is currently 14th in the table after spending hundreds of millions.

The most nauseating thing about these quotes is that I can actually believe that it really is quiet inside the club and he really is safe. Followed closely by how arrogant this fraud is
Well, the club certainly doesn't resemble the forum. Nothing is gained from going in circles on this all day long in the club's offices and training grounds. You'd certainly have to hope the club's management don't co stantly talk about this outside a few specific meetings.

What's disappointing is that he doesn't seem to have learned anything about the strengths or weaknesses of his players, or evolved tactically. Virtually every substitution is planned before the match and, like team selection, seems to have absolutely nothing to do with how well or poorly someone is playing or what we need tactically.

Rashford appalling for two years, plays virtually every minute of every game. He looks decent for once and he's pulled off in a preplanned substitution due to "rotation". The guy might as well go get a coffe and a bacon sandwich when the match is on because nothing he ever does is influenced by what happens on the pitch.

We just keep plugging away with the same approach hoping we get lucky and stumble across a team either so bad or having an off day, that his approach works. The stopped clock being right twice a day tactics.

It would be amazing if just once following a bad team or individual performance, he showed any evidence he's paid any attention whatsoever
So true, it's so fecking depressing.

They haven't had long in place but unfortunately football moves quickly and the decisions taken by ineos and their new people have made an already bad situation worse.

It was obvious ten hag should have been moved on in the summer but we didn't just keep him we backed him with significant spending.

Most of the signings made appear suspiciously like they were directed by him, this is an odd thing to do given ten hag was likely to be gone by Christmas. It's very easy to imagine some of those signings will be cast aside by the next manager.

Given our psr position, it would have seemed more prudent to hold back on some signings if our new dof wasn't fully on board to direct transfer activity or if we weren't sure about the type if football we want to play going forward

It might not look great, but once INEOS came onboard I always looked at it with two things in mind: Mistakes will be made, and INEOS should be judged long term.

We weren't going to get this season to where we really want to be - challenging for major honours, etc - so even if it takes more time than people want or expect, the thing that really matters is if we'll get there three or four years down the line.

Obviously there are question marks over the way they handled the managerial situation, but I'm willing to give them some leeway. Maybe they looked at the available options in the summer and decided that even if some of them might do better than ETH, it's far from a sure thing and it wouldn't be worth it rocking the boat like that at that time, when Berrada and Ashworth weren't still on board. That it would be better to let them come in, and then we'll be in a better position to bring in a new manager if it doesn't work with ETH. I think it makes sense.

There are questions and questions marks, but if, say, the time they bought in the last few months helps us get the right manager in - and Berrada and Ashworth are key players in this - then it could work for our benefit long term.

Have genuinely no idea how this will play out.

A loss or draw tomorrow surely, I mean surely isn't something INEOS can continue with him after. At some point he will have to start building momentum and getting results considering where we are in the table. They've given given him hopefully one final easy enough run at saving his job, which is absolutely ridiculous of course, but goes without saying why that is at this point.

Last edited:
The most nauseating thing about these quotes is that I can actually believe that it really is quiet inside the club and he really is safe. Followed closely by how arrogant this fraud is

Yeah the arrogance demonstrated is so grating because knows full well he's safe as houses

A quote from the legendary meme video about sticking things for EtH: "You can stick it up your own, asshole"!
It is a disgrace that we have to "stick" to this misery and knowing the outcome.

Honestly, since April he's been on the worst media run I've seen from any manager. Just so nauseating. Even more than his tactics or our play on the pitch, his attitude is just so annoying. What's worse is that he's been coming up with ridiculous quotes every time he tries to defend himself, yet our fans are so focused on " the media is ABU", that they aren't witnessing the level of disrespect keeps displaying. United and Liverpool are the only clubs that a manager can get away with this nonsense, which is why its no surprise that both clubs have had the types of droughts we've had. You don't challenge for trophies sticking with failing managers for long stretches of time. Like Liverpool in the 90s, our PR and British media are so focused on shaming players, that they can't recognize that you can't challenge for titles with Graeme Souness and Roy Evans as your manager. Not understanding that the "Spice Boys" weren't the cause of Liverpool's failure, but keeping Souness and Roy Evans was, is why Liverpool spent decades barely challenging for trophies. Like them, as a club we are guilty of wasting players like McManaman and Fowler's careers (Bruno, Pogba).

A bit simplified but I agree. What we ought to do when saying “give him time” is define it - what do we mean by that phrase?

I think that most clubs lack patience nowadays, but I also think we’ve shown ETH more than enough. When I use the phrase “give him time” it means that a few bad games shouldn’t determine whether or not we sack a manager. But we should quite quickly be able to see where the manager wants the team to be in a season.

Take Thomas Frank who lost his first 8 games in charge of Brentford. It was of course very worrying, but the direction was clear and they were unlucky with a couple of the results based on XG. After those 8 games he hasn’t looked back. A clear style of play in the championship, another, but also clear, style in the prem, all his players always know excactly what to do. But that’s only the case because the club gave him time.

Arteta, Klopp (and now Ange maybe) were give time as well because it was evident where they wanted to take their teams - and because the improved them gradually, even though the process could be frustrating.

Contrast that to us and ETH who has had seasons to implement a clear style of play and buy the players he wants, but still no one can see where he wants the team to go. The last straw for me is that he has not been able to make the team tick even with all his favorites on the pitch.
Patience is indeed needed but in difference roles specifically to the sporting director one. That's why SJR said 'they only started working in July'. Football had changed alot since the 80s and the manager role had been seriously dumbed down. The days when CEOs didn't even know how much salary rival managers were paid are over. These days many CEOs had made their bones in the football world. Then there's the sporting director who take care of the most 'brain' intensive roles (vision, transfer strategy, making all departments work together in an efficient manner). Meanwhile the academy is also made independent from the first team and given its own aims, its own budget and its own people to lead it.

Modern managers focus mostly on tactics and morale. However even in these two areas they are hugely aided. There are set piece coaches who takes care of set pieces, goalkeeper coaches who take care of goalkeepers, assistant managers with huge CVs who aid him in training, technical directors who take care of the technical stuff and help the transitioning of academy players to first team, data analysts who spoon feed the coaching staff with tons of information about the team and the opposition and an army of medical people and psychologists who help him choose the fittest players and to keep morale up. It's nowhere near to the big role SAF had in the 90s were he was the head of the football pyramid with a clueless Edwards being the head of the business and with Sir Bobby acting as the voice of reason between the two.

I am not suggesting that head coaches (cause that's what they are these days) shouldn't be given time. Tactics are sometimes difficult to understand and implement especially if those who brought the head coach in were stupid enough to hire someone whose philosophy goes completely against the strengths of the squad. However it shouldn't take years either. We had zero progression despite having an almost Dutch speaking team. Surely the likes of Onana, De Ligt, Martinez, Mazraioui, Eriksen, Antony and Zirkzee don't need years to understand ETH's 'game'. Same can be said about players he either promoted (Mainoo, Garnacho etc) or he brought in (Casemiro, Ugarte etc). Yet what we're witnessing is the same old injury crisis (with persistent rumors regarding ETH's heavy handed training), the same tumescent style of football and the same diabolical form both in the EPL and in Europe. To add insult to injury we're now reverting to Ole ball with Evans and Maguire which is hilarious considering that ETH had spent so much on that defense to bring his own men in.

Just always seems to be “stick to the plan” or “turn the corner” etc.

It’s been largely 18 months of pure garbage and I don’t even know what the plan is, even if there is one, we can’t seem to maintain it.

Erik ten Hag has hit back over the speculation surrounding his job as Manchester United boss, implying his critics are creating "lies and fairytales".
United have won just two of their first seven league games, and sit 14th in the Premier League table, closer to the relegation zone than fourth.

There were suggestions that Ten Hag's future was one of many topics up for discussion during a meeting involving Sir Jim Ratcliffe, Joel Glazer and United's leadership group, but Ten Hag remains in the job for Saturday's Premier League clash with Brentford and insists everyone at the club is on "one page".

"No," Ten Hag replied when asked if he had received assurances over his future at his press conference on Friday.
"The noises came from the media, some of you, not all of you. Some of you are coming up with stories, creating stories, creating fairytales, bringing a noise, bringing lies.

"I know we are all on one page at this club. I've said this before the break to some journalists who probably didn't believe me as I saw the reports. Internally at the club it's quiet.

"Of course we are discussing the position we are in and we're unhappy with that. We have to turn the corner and that's the strategy to turn this corner. We are quiet and composed, stick to the plan and are convinced we will turn the corner.

"We face challenges in football, sometimes it goes up or down. I'm sure we will make this a success as we did the last two seasons.

"Underneath I see good things, good patterns and good stats - that confirms we are in a good direction but the ranking is not lying. We are where we are and that's not good enough." [\QUOTE]
This guy irritates me so much. He talks in bs bingo. He’s also absolutely deluded if he thinks that the stats are showing in a good direction. I hope that INEOS are looking at these things themselves and not listening to his horseshit.

This game to game approach is absolutely crap. So if he wins 2 of the next 3/4 that's good enough? Fed up.

The club never said that was the approach though, and in all likelihood it’s 100% made up by hack journo’s looking for clicks on their story.

I'd really like some of the hopium that ETH is on. Keeps talking about the need to 'stick to the plan'. So far I haven't seen any evidence that we are working on something that will eventually lead us to 'turning a corner'.

Honestly, if he just took some responsibility, I'd have a modicum of sympathy for him.

It might not look great, but once INEOS came onboard I always looked at it with two things in mind: Mistakes will be made, and INEOS should be judged long term.

We weren't going to get this season to where we really want to be - challenging for major honours, etc - so even if it takes more time than people want or expect, the thing that really matters is if we'll get there three or four years down the line.

Obviously there are question marks over the way they handled the managerial situation, but I'm willing to give them some leeway. Maybe they looked at the available options in the summer and decided that even if some of them might do better than ETH, it's far from a sure thing and it wouldn't be worth it rocking the boat like that at that time, when Berrada and Ashworth weren't still on board. That it would be better to let them come in, and then we'll be in a better position to bring in a new manager if it doesn't work with ETH. I think it makes sense.

There are questions and questions marks, but if, say, the time they bought in the last few months helps us get the right manager in - and Berrada and Ashworth are key players in this - then it could work for our benefit long term.

We to judge them long term but they made a huge error sticking with ETH. As you said there were no guarantees anyone would do better but ETH was far from a sure thing himself. The most likely outcome to him staying was that all his problems would just continue which is exactly as it has played out.

In terms of rocking the boat again the most likely cause of instability was persisting with a manager on the verge of the sack. You can’t sell a project when the manger is the bookies favourite to go and is managing game to game.

If they brought in someone else there is a good chance we wouldn’t be this bad and even if we were it would be viewed as more of a bad start and a new project rather than the same shitshow of the last 18 months.

The mess they have made of the managerial situation feels like they just tried to postpone the decision for a year which is concerning.

I'll be even more bemused confused and bewildered by INEOS if we lose saturday and he gets sacked. In some ways that will be even more mental. I wouldn't be disappointed, granted, but it would be bizarre.
He would still survive.