Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
There's more to football than "trophies", and I'd hope most Manchester United fans know this
The next more important thing is entertainment. I was entertained unlike winning the ELC with Mourinho: that was unbearable football.

We had just won the league, how on earth did we have managers refusing to join
The words from the great man himself, only LVG was suspect:

Ferguson writes: "I asked Pep to phone me before he accepted an offer from another club but he didn't and wound up joining Bayern Munich in July 2013. When we started the process of looking for my replacement, we established that several very desirable candidates were unavailable. It became apparent that Jose Mourinho had given his word to Roman Abramovich that he would return to Chelsea, and that Carlo Ancelotti would succeed him at Real Madrid. We also knew that Jurgen Klopp was happy at Borussia Dortmund and would be signing a new contract. Meantime, Louis van Gaal had undertaken to lead the Dutch attempt to win the 2014 World Cup."

Ferguson writes: "I asked Pep to phone me before he accepted an offer from another club but he didn't and wound up joining Bayern Munich in July 2013. When we started the process of looking for my replacement, we established that several very desirable candidates were unavailable. It became apparent that Jose Mourinho had given his word to Roman Abramovich that he would return to Chelsea, and that Carlo Ancelotti would succeed him at Real Madrid. We also knew that Jurgen Klopp was happy at Borussia Dortmund and would be signing a new contract. Meantime, Louis van Gaal had undertaken to lead the Dutch attempt to win the 2014 World Cup."

Hmmm interesting sounds like Guardiola or Klopp didn't relish the challenge of succeeding him then

I can't help but feel it's nonsense.

There's more to football than "trophies", and I'd hope most Manchester United fans know this/want more
Highest level of sport is measured by medals and trophies.
Trophies maybe are not the only thing but for sure they are the most important.

I think he went to India for some ayurveda rejuvenation in the southern state of Kerala and to spend some time alone with his partner after his sacking at Chelsea.

Cheers. So not this week :lol:

Which is?

If you only watch football for trophies then please carry on. I'm not going to engage with these shameless positions.

For what is worth, the poster I was engaging with that had pivoted to "trophies" followed up with this:

The next more important thing is entertainment. I was entertained unlike winning the ELC with Mourinho: that was unbearable football.

Highest level of sport is measured by medals and trophies.
Trophies maybe are not the only thing but for sure they are the most important.

So you read that there's more to football than trophies. You then reply seemingly reiterating the same with an addendum regarding "importance", which wasn't an argument nor qualifier in my post. So I take it you agree with me, then?

No need to be talking about the man's wife's looks, to be honest.

on another note - feel like the whole "trophy" talk only exists because we are shite. I don't recall United fans fighting so ardently about minor cups growing up. For clarification - I think the FA Cup is a decent trophy. Still, "two trofi" as a retort at every corner really hammers home how much we fell off.

It was posted earlier in this thread and @RedSky is most likely right. The tweet itself seems to be a necro of stats by Statman Dave back in December 2023

Hilarious that a 28 game spell in 2023 and another one now in 2024 both stack up horribly next to Neville's Valencia record.

This man really has gotten away with so much. :lol:

If you only watch football for trophies then please carry on. I'm not going to engage with these shameless positions.

For what is worth, the poster I was engaging with that had pivoted to "trophies" followed up with this:

I just wanted to know what you meant by that?

So for instance if trophies doesn't matter as much, why should league position?

Would you prefer us playing attacking football, 3-2, 4-3 and what not and not win anything and finish 6th? Over 1-0 wins and win a trophy?

So you read that there's more to football than trophies. You then reply seemingly reiterating the same with an addendum regarding "importance", which wasn't an argument nor qualifier in my post. So I take it you agree with me, then?
Depends what you meant by "more". Is there something else than trophies? Yes.
Is there something more important than trophies? No.

The longer it takes before we hear anything about what's going on, the better. They will absolutely have to comment on this now and if they wanted to continue with him, it is a simple comment. Firing him, on the other hand, requires a lot more to be done.

The longer it takes before we hear anything about what's going on, the better. They will absolutely have to comment on this now and if they wanted to continue with him, it is a simple comment. Firing him, on the other hand, requires a lot more to be done.

Respect the optimism

Would you prefer us playing attacking football, 3-2, 4-3 and what not and not win anything and finish 6th? Over 1-0 wins and win a trophy?

There should be a balance. You can't be play well all of time, nor can you be shit all of the time.

I'd say Arsenal have gotten that balance right in 2024. They were much more entertaining 2 years ago. Now they can be dominant or win/draw ugly.

I’m convincing myself of the same thing. Fingers crossed.

Hilarious that a 28 game spell in 2023 and another one now in 2024 both stack up horribly next to Neville's Valencia record.

This man really has gotten away with so much. :lol:

Truth is you could probably pick any 28 game spell post the 2023 League Cup final and it'd be dogshit.

I'm guessing the meeting has ended, is that teat from Sky outside the offices the meetings are being held in? I'd have expected some sort of tweet when they left either way.

Needs to be noted that this is in the updated version of the book. In the original one, he says something like there was unanimous support to appoint David Moyes as manager, and no other candidate was seriously considered. Which is pretty much what was said from the media back then in 2013.

SAF, and the board, simply fecked up. When all went completely wrong, Fergie decided to rewrite history and absolve himself of any blame.

But the main point is that even if the top 5 managers in the world were not available, Moyes was a completely wrong appointment. He was not the best of the rest, the sixth best manager in the word, or even a top 20 manager.

Have to hope it's taking so long because they're wrapping up the contract for the next manager already. A double announcement that he's sacked and we've signed someone else would be nice and efficient.

'

'Maybe I like the misery'-Omar Berrada Doyle

I didn't say nor imply that trophies don't matter much. There are simply other considerations for me to be content with and ascertain where we are or how well/bad we're doing than "trophies" alone.

I also think framing the argument as "dogshit with trophies" vs "attacking and/or entertaining without trophies" is an inherently flawed and dishonest position to take. I'm a Manchester United fan, that shit doesn't run with me, I'm sorry.

Depends what you meant by "more". Is there something else than trophies? Yes.
Is there something more important than trophies? No.

I mean the phrasing is straightforward, and I don't see how there could be confusion. I didn't say "there are more important things in football than trophies." I said there's more to football than trophies, at least to me personally, and I'd think United fans generally think the same since even reading this forum there are often managerial candidates that a majority don't fancy due to their brand of football as well as other factors