Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jose wasn't sacked until a week before Christmas and Solksjaer got the boot in late November. Both of them could, and should, have parted ways with the club long before then.

This looks like more of the same under Ineos.
Both had better starts to the season than this TBF. Ole in the league had 4 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss by this point. Mourinho had that Newcastle game to buy him another month, but also had 4 wins, 1 draw and 3 losses.

Ten Hag having just 2 wins in 7, just 5 goals scored... It's rough.

11 games in all comps. 20% of a season for most. Just 3 wins. 5 draws (1 penalty shootout defeat) and 3 losses.

-4 GD across his last 45 PL games as manager. -1 GD last season and a -3 GD this season.

He got his chance after winning The FA Cup final. He didn't take it. I think admitting they got it wrong would be a better decision than being stubborn.

But yeah, I don't think they've got the balls.

It's much harder standing by your manager when the going gets tough then do what most people want. How much time does he need? Will he get the club right back on track in 2 years? Or will it take 5...?

Doesn't have to be here but it would be really interesting if a big club would stand by their manager for a couple of years when it's not going well instead of sacking them off quickly.

Exactly, a mainstream news outlet covering football generally means it's a big thing.

You're ignoring the point. The suggestion was that this meeting would be to decide what to do. Everything you are saying is predicated on the belief that the decision has already been made.

What you are saying would make sense this time tomorrow. Not whilst the meeting is happening.

ITV would need some info that no other journalist has though, to think it could happen. When has that ever happened before? ITV are nobodies in football journalism and it seems they're just chancing it or trying to make a story where there isn't one.

Have we any legit sources that say they will have a serious talk about ETH today?

It's much harder standing by your manager when the going gets tough then do what most people want. How much time does he need? Will he get the club right back on track in 2 years? Or will it take 5...?

Doesn't have to be here but it would be really interesting if a big club would stand by their manager for a couple of years when it's not going well instead of sacking them off quickly.

Oh christ I can here Fergie post Swansea again

The longer we go without hearing anything, the more I start to think something might happen today.

The longer we go without hearing anything, the more I start to think something might happen today.

Yeah we get that dreaded backing brief from the summer again, just have some guts and pull that trigger so we can have some hope for Brentford.

Is there any news yet or even rumours? Feel like we would have heard by now if he was getting sacked

It’s the opposite for me. Longer we hear nothing. The more I think nothings changing.

Eh, it's been going badly for 19 months. You can't be asking for 5 years at a massive club.

Honestly, I genuinely believe this is why Britain hasn't had successful managers over the last 40 years outside of Fergie and Dalglish. They don't place any standards on their managers and have maintained an old school, "manager is always right" philosophy, which doesn't actually solve anything. How can you advance tactically if you have people like Neville campaigning for you even though you are doing a poor job. Its the same reason why the same group of managers keep getting shuffled around the league, because the british media doesn't actually understand what makes a good coach. The fact that some of these pundits have been managers should tell you the state of understanding. Its always lack of passion from players or that their downing tools or purposely not playing for the manager.

The problem we've had over the last decade, is that due to Fergie's success, we bought into this line of thinking, where the club, media and fans constantly attack our players and absolve the manager as long as they can. It's the reason we have so much rebuilding. The club, fans and media constantly struggle to bring our managers to account quickly enough to avoid lasting damage. Managers are allowed to behave badly, make reckless comments, whilst still maintaining their public image. We enable them and make them feel like we need them more than we need us, yet we are always shocked that they end up deluded by the end of their tenure. Where other clubs saw the media drivel as moral high ground bs, we were so oblivious to the change in mindset of other teams that we didn't build our senior management team and have wrongly maintained a "support the manager' line of thinking. Other teams don't do this because they had experience with the reality and costs of what unwavering support of failure looks like. As a club, we have the support, popularity and finances that should ensure that at minimum we are playing decent football and competing. Yet we've allowed poor appointments and this broken old school mentality to drop our standing in the game. If we continue to think and act like this, we will fall too far behind and won't have the finances or support to get back up. We've managed to survive this long due to strong support and commercial success, but how long can we maintain that without actually being competitive.

You have no idea what you're talking about mate. In Italy the manager is a step down to the almighty. Good players like Baggio and Di Canio because they refuse to see themselves as pawns in a chess game in which the manager is the master of it. Some are worse of than others. Capello, Sacchi and Conte for example are renowned to be cnuts as opposed to the likes of Ancelotti. However even Ancelotti had his 'Duce' moments as well like for example when he sold Zola (Parma's version of our own Eric Cantona) because he didn't fit his system. He later on regretted it but that how managers in Italy see themselves.

So why the UK do not produce top managers? That's a rather complex question

a- there's far less emphasis on tactics something that in Italy is pushed down in player's throats from an early age. I believe even Benitez mentioned this issue as well. The stereotypical British player is gifted with great DNA (strength, stamina, height, pace) which allows him certain leeway in football. But that leeway doesn't translate well at managerial level

b- lack of progression. EPL clubs can afford the best managers in the world which means more competition for the top places. This cuts both ends. For example Ipswich were able to persuade Mckenna to stay despite the likes of Brighton and Chelsea came knocking at his door.

c- coaching licenses in the UK are prohibitively expensive (3.4k to 9k plus) as opposed to the Spanish one (960 - 1k) and is not exactly renowned for its quality either. That means a smaller pool of Brits are becoming coaches/managers and less so are given the top quality training an Italian or a Spanish would get.

You're right in saying that in the UK, managers tend to be given more time and that does lead to complacency though

Hoping the pause in news is because they are preparing the necessary paperwork/undertaking the steps needed to terminate his employment and then will release a statement after.

Liverpool spent the best part of 20 years standing by managers for a couple of years, it didn't get them any nearer a league title despite spending a feck tonne along the way.

Jose wasn't sacked until a week before Christmas and Solksjaer got the boot in late November. Both of them could, and should, have parted ways with the club long before then.

This looks like more of the same under Ineos.

Context of both those seasons helps though.

Oles season started with 12 points in the opening 5 fixtures, scoring 13 and conceding 4. We lost our CL opener away from hope against Young Boys, we were actually leading and then AWB got sent off mid way through the 1st half. They scored the winner in the 95th minute. We put out a 2nd string in the League Cup and lost 1-0 to West Ham at OT. Then lost to Villa 1-0 in the PL conceding in the final minutes again. We then beat Villarreal in our CL Game and drew to 5th placed Everton in the league 1-1. So we'd been knocked out of the League Cup by PL West Ham. We'd got 3 points in our CL Group and we were 4th in the PL with 14 points, scoring 14 goals. It wasn't a terrible start to the season at all.

For Jose we also bombed out of the League Cup, this time a 2-2 draw with Derby and losing on pens. We had 4 points in our CL group phase after 2 games. But we were doing worse in the League, this time only 10 points with 10 scored and 12 conceded. We did however pick up 10 points in our next 4 PL games. Also managed to beat Juve away in the CL group (but lost to them at home).

Neither Manager had bad starts to the season, they weren't brilliant starts but certainly not bad. This is why neither Manager was sacked earlier as both Managers form got progressively worse as the season went along. With EtH however, we've been bad for so long that this bad start to the season isn't even out of brand. It's just more of the same.

Hoping the pause in news is because they are preparing the necessary paperwork/undertaking the steps needed to terminate his employment and then will release a statement after.
Can always hope

Context of both those seasons helps though.

Oles season started with 12 points in the opening 5 fixtures, scoring 13 and conceding 4. We lost our CL opener away from hope against Young Boys, we were actually leading and then AWB got sent off mid way through the 1st half. They scored the winner in the 95th minute. We put out a 2nd string in the League Cup and lost 1-0 to West Ham at OT. Then lost to Villa 1-0 in the PL conceding in the final minutes again. We then beat Villarreal in our CL Game and drew to 5th placed Everton in the league 1-1. So we'd been knocked out of the League Cup by PL West Ham. We'd got 3 points in our CL Group and we were 4th in the PL with 14 points, scoring 14 goals. It wasn't a terrible start to the season at all.

For Jose we also bombed out of the League Cup, this time a 2-2 draw with Derby and losing on pens. We had 4 points in our CL group phase after 2 games. But we were doing worse in the League, this time only 10 points with 10 scored and 12 conceded. We did however pick up 10 points in our next 4 PL games. Also managed to beat Juve away in the CL group (but lost to them at home).

Neither Manager had bad starts to the season, they weren't brilliant starts but certainly not bad. This is why neither Manager was sacked earlier as both Managers form got progressively worse as the season went along. With EtH however, we've been bad for so long that this bad start to the season isn't even out of brand. It's just more of the same.

The runs that got both Jose and Ole sacked are just an average months worth of results for Erik over the last 14 months.

If they do decide to hang fire I'd love to know exactly what they base that decision on. All the metrics are shit and we are on a downward trajectory. To just assume it will be okay it time is colossally stupid and incredibly naive.

"Right, I get that everything shows he should be sacked. However, we have to adress the most important question. How silly do I look for not listening the first time?" - SJR

5 more years on this trajectory and our transition to a well established championship team might be complete.

Reports are that ETH is on holiday. They won't be sacking him by text, a phone call and definitely not by a public statement. I think if they do wish to sack him they will try to make it as clean as possible and I'm not sure how they do that so quickly, while ETH is away.

Maybe they will rock up to his villa, like they did in Ibiza to tell him they wanted to keep him in the summer.

Reports are that ETH is on holiday. They won't be sacking him by text, a phone call and definitely not by a public statement. I think if they do wish to sack him they will try to make it as clean as possible and I'm not sure how they do that so quickly, while ETH is away.

Maybe they will rock up to his villa, like they did in Ibiza to tell him they wanted to keep him in the summer.
He has a habit of disappearing on holiday when his job is at risk ….went on holiday straight after FA cup

They wont sack him, dithering Rat
It won't be up to Ratcliffe. He already said that.

I do agree though, he won't be sacked yet.

They just splurged on a new coaching team to support him, so they won't want to rip the band aid off so soon. Sunk-cost fallacy.

I bet they regret keeping him in the summer now though... Shouldn't have listened to us fans

What?

Who said they would sack him via a public statement. No reason why a video call can't be scheduled. Holiday or not. Then, the necessary paperwork, etc can be processed and signed and then, finally, a statement released.