Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reports are that ETH is on holiday. They won't be sacking him by text, a phone call and definitely not by a public statement. I think if they do wish to sack him they will try to make it as clean as possible and I'm not sure how they do that so quickly, while ETH is away.

Maybe they will rock up to his villa, like they did in Ibiza to tell him they wanted to keep him in the summer.

Wish they would rock up and sack him but nah this lot haven't got the guts to do it

It’s the opposite for me. Longer we hear nothing. The more I think nothings changing.

I just think if they were all backing him, it would've been a quick decision and speedy announcement. Them taking time suggests at least somebody in the room is saying sack him.

Once that conversation starts, it just becomes so difficult to justify keeping him on. I reckon he's gone and they're figuring out how to manage the story without making themselves look like mugs for the summer.

Wrong and the same tripe that has been spun for the last 10 years of failure.

Him laying on a beach on holidays WILL NOT make us a better team. That only happens with hard work on the training pitch and in the tactical room.
Most of our first XI are away with their NT. can’t see us learning much training the kids

Haaaa sent him for a long weight :lol:
An inevitable report later saying no update on Ten Hag's future. There will be some non-story reporting "my sources" say they want him to succeed and believe he is the man for the job but the pressure will only increase if results get worse, something anyone could put together.

I just think if they were all backing him, it would've been a quick decision and speedy announcement. Them taking time suggests at least somebody in the room is saying sack him.

Once that conversation starts, it just becomes so difficult to justify keeping him on. I reckon he's gone and they're figuring out how to manage the story without making themselves look like mugs for the summer.
Like in the summer? Don’t underestimate our thinking tank thought process.

It won't be up to Ratcliffe. He already said that.

I do agree though, he won't be sacked yet.

They just splurged on a new coaching team to support him, so they won't want to rip the band aid off so soon. Sunk-cost fallacy.

I bet they regret keeping him in the summer now though... Shouldn't have listened to us fans

I don't see how this maters at all. If it's not working, it's not working. Also, this isn't really ''soon'' when you consider how fecking awful we've been for a year and a half now. Others have posted the statistics so I won't bother, but anyone at board room level looking at them should be desperate to sack him, unless they're complete morons.

What?

Who said they would sack him via a public statement. No reason why a video call can't be scheduled. Holiday or not. Then, the necessary paperwork, etc can be processed and signed and then, finally, a statement released.
I'm all for sacking him but there's no rush to sack him over a video call. They can fly out to him, ask him to return early or sack him when he's back (assuming it's not a long break). I don't really have an issue letting it play out over a couple of days before he's officially sacked. Sacking him tonight isn't really any different from agreeing to sack him tonight and making it formal tomorrow or Thursday.

Honestly, I genuinely believe this is why Britain hasn't had successful managers over the last 40 years outside of Fergie and Dalglish. They don't place any standards on their managers and have maintained an old school, "manager is always right" philosophy, which doesn't actually solve anything. How can you advance tactically if you have people like Neville campaigning for you even though you are doing a poor job. Its the same reason why the same group of managers keep getting shuffled around the league, because the british media doesn't actually understand what makes a good coach. The fact that some of these pundits have been managers should tell you the state of understanding. Its always lack of passion from players or that their downing tools or purposely not playing for the manager.

The problem we've had over the last decade, is that due to Fergie's success, we bought into this line of thinking, where the club, media and fans constantly attack our players and absolve the manager as long as they can. It's the reason we have so much rebuilding. The club, fans and media constantly struggle to bring our managers to account quickly enough to avoid lasting damage. Managers are allowed to behave badly, make reckless comments, whilst still maintaining their public image. We enable them and make them feel like we need them more than we need us, yet we are always shocked that they end up deluded by the end of their tenure. Where other clubs saw the media drivel as moral high ground bs, we were so oblivious to the change in mindset of other teams that we didn't build our senior management team and have wrongly maintained a "support the manager' line of thinking. Other teams don't do this because they had experience with the reality and costs of what unwavering support of failure looks like. As a club, we have the support, popularity and finances that should ensure that at minimum we are playing decent football and competing. Yet we've allowed poor appointments and this broken old school mentality to drop our standing in the game. If we continue to think and act like this, we will fall too far behind and won't have the finances or support to get back up. We've managed to survive this long due to strong support and commercial success, but how long can we maintain that without actually being competitive.
100% agree mate.

SSN's top stories right include United have made no approach to Tuchel amid doubts over Ten Hag's future. A complete non-story as one of their top stories seems quite on brand in fairness.

Neville managed 28 Games (all comps). He only had a 35.7% win rate at Valencia so if you compare his record to all of ETH's results then no it's not remotely close. If however you look at ETH's previous 28 games managed then it's as follows:

Manager​
Games​
W​
W%​
D​
D%​
L​
L%​
GF​
GA​
GD​
ETH​
28​
11​
39.29%​
8​
28.57%​
9​
32.14%​
49​
44​
+5​
Neville​
28​
10​
35.71%​
7​
25.00%​
11​
39.29%​
39​
38​
+1​

Still not as bad as Neville but not far off. If you compare their league form, Neville managed 16 La Liga games, so taking ETH's previous 16 League games you get:

Manager​
Games​
W​
W%​
D​
D%​
L​
L%​
GF​
GA​
GD​
ETH​
16​
5​
31.25%​
5​
31.25%​
6​
37.50%​
22​
26​
-4​
Neville​
16​
3​
18.75%​
5​
31.25%​
8​
50.00%​
15​
25​
-10​

So again, not as bad as Neville. But not as far away as you might think.

Here's an actual analysis of the ETH vs Neville comparison. Not some made up twitter nonsense.

Hope your right mate

This is a repeat of the Ole situation when the club sent him on holiday to take the heat off him hoping the pressure would die down, only for him to get spanked by Watford when he came back. Can see the Brentford game being similar.

If they sack him now there’s the potential for a little bounce with some very winnable games coming up. If they keep him he’s guaranteed to lose against West Ham, calamity against Ipswich, lose in Istanbul etc. then you’re getting a new manager in just in time to face Arsenal and City in December. Potentially just writing off the entire season if you do that.

Surely they are thinking about these things? Again, as we keep saying I think the issue is getting a replacement. It’s go so bad though I think you just need to flush the shit.

It's much harder standing by your manager when the going gets tough then do what most people want. How much time does he need? Will he get the club right back on track in 2 years? Or will it take 5...?

Doesn't have to be here but it would be really interesting if a big club would stand by their manager for a couple of years when it's not going well instead of sacking them off quickly.
Yeah interesting for everyone except for United fans

They did do the same thing in the summer. They took their time and everyone thought he was gone only for them to come out and say they are backing him.

I'm all for sacking him but there's no rush to sack him over a video call. They can fly out to him, ask him to return early or sack him when he's back (assuming it's not a long break). I don't really have an issue letting it play out over a couple of days before he's officially sacked. Sacking him tonight isn't really any different from agreeing to sack him tonight and making it formal tomorrow or Thursday.

I think the FCC and being listed on the NY stock exchange would disagree with that.

I agree with that, mate. I was just saying there are options if they really wanted to speed things up. Whichever way it happens is fine, as long as it happens.

If they sack him now there’s the potential for a little bounce with some very winnable games coming up. If they keep him he’s guaranteed to lose against West Ham, calamity against Ipswich, lose in Istanbul etc. then you’re getting a new manager in just in time to face Arsenal and City in December. Potentially just writing off the entire season if you do that.

Surely they are thinking about these things? Again, as we keep saying I think the issue is getting a replacement. It’s go so bad though I think you just need to flush the shit.
We wouldn't get a new manager before Arsenal and City and would probably not fire ten Hag after these games as we basically have no expectations in these games anyway. Even if we lost 5-0 to Arsenal and 6-0 to City it will be just another day in the office, 'lads played well, individual mistakes' kind of thing.

They did do the same thing in the summer. They took their time and everyone thought he was gone only for them to come out and say they are backing him.

They will definitely lose a lot of faith for keeping him

I'm not really sure why he is on holiday again. He has shit to sort out.

Yep, now is the time if they want to have any possibiltiy of salvaging the season. I think top 5 is achievable with a good run of games coming up with a competent manager incharge.

Just a reminder to the responsible people, did you send the vote in this thread to the guys at the meeting tonight? I mean, they must need some kind of empirical facts don't they :angel:

Joel, Ratcliffe, Brailsford, Berrada, Ashworth, Wilcox and SAF to vote on ETH? I think the first 3 shouldn't involved in this process at all. Leave it to the latter 4 who knows about football. And I refuse to think the latter 4 would vote to keep ETH.

Dont think ETH being on holiday matters much, tbh. Would expect the manager of any club (or any high ranking employee) to be on-call whether on holiday or not.

Joel, Ratcliffe, Brailsford, Berrada, Ashworth, Wilcox and SAF to vote on ETH? I think the first 3 shouldn't involved in this process at all. Leave it to the latter 4 who knows about football. And I refuse to think the latter 4 would vote to keep ETH.

Fergie shouldn't either, remember Moyes

Perhaps he can do another interview with Sky Sports while he's on holiday to reassure us that it's a process