Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is it though? I think it’s the natural reaction, but look down the fixture list and most of the matches are against decent teams. Sure, you’ve got Malta, North Macedonia and Scotland, but there is also Brazil, Belgium, Italy, Spain, France… the only real minnows were in qualifying for the World Cup. Nations League has changed it so you’re playing the top teams consistently.

Most of the matches are against decent teams? Are you sure about that.

102 games played:

9 games in World Cup 2018 qualifying against Slovakia, Scotland, Slovenia, Lithuania and Malta (two each apart from Slovakia).

2 games at World Cup 2018 against Panama and Tunisia.

8 games in Euro 2020 qualifying against Czech Republic, Kosovo, Bulgaria and Montenegero.

3 games in Euro 2020 against Czech Republic, Scotland and Ukraine.

2 games in Nations League 2020/21 against Iceland.

8 games in World Cup 2022 qualifying against Albania, Hungary, Andorra and San Marino.

4 games in World Cup 2022 against Iran, USA, Wales and Senegal.

2 games in Nations League 2022/23 against Hungary.

6 games in Euro 2024 qualifying against Ukraine, North Macedonia and Malta.

3 games in Euro 2024 against Slovenia, Serbia and Slovakia.

12 games in friendlies against Nigeria, Costa Rica, USA, Wales, Republic of Ireland, Austria, Romania, Ivory Coast, Scotland, Australia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Iceland.

That's 59 games already (58% of his total), and this also (quite generously) classes the likes of Colombia, Sweden, Poland, Switzerland and Denmark as "decent", and not teams England should have been favourites against.

By and large, when he did play the "decent" teams, the results were falling in the D and L columns.

I understand that but they came to the conclusion that there wasn't anyone out there that was better and/or wanted the job.

I wasn't saying that. I'm not even trying to defend Ten Hag here but I know it looks that way.

Basically my entire argument here is perhaps the single biggest issue is the players mentality - and I don't think it's fair to put all of that problem on whoever the manager is.

Now, I hope we get a great win tomorrow and United put on an outstanding performance so I don't look like too much of an idiot :lol:

If that were the case then you have to ask yourself. Who has signed/promoted a good 80% of these players and been training and managing them for over 2 years now?

If that were the case then you have to ask yourself. Who has signed/promoted a good 80% of these players and been training and managing them for over 2 years now?
Mentality is also less easy to harness if you're constantly putting less confident personnel in high stake situations. Ten Hag's biggest own goal last season is the way he had everything so open and never resorted to pragmatism just to get some confidence and solidarity back among the players. It's a lot easier to build a winning mentality from that point, and then go on to try something expansive.

I understand that but they came to the conclusion that there wasn't anyone out there that was better and/or wanted the job.

I wasn't saying that. I'm not even trying to defend Ten Hag here but I know it looks that way.

Basically my entire argument here is perhaps the single biggest issue is the players mentality - and I don't think it's fair to put all of that problem on whoever the manager is.

Now, I hope we get a great win tomorrow and United put on an outstanding performance so I don't look like too much of an idiot :lol:
How many of those players has he worked with before and then gone and bought them again? So he’s already know their mentality.
So sorry i don’t buy that. 1 or 2 players maybe but the rest is on the coach to motivate and drive them (regardless of who the coach is)

You're right there, he's not charismatic.

We knew the ilk of manager we are getting though. When the chips are down I feel it's easy to look like a clown irrespective. When you're doing well it's also difficult to look bad. Ten hag was saying rude things in press conferences at Ajax and the caf was lapping it up at the time, saying they need a manager like that to set the players and the media straight. Of course that's only nice when the team is playing well. It's easy to dislike all the same when the team is shite.
Yeah, it's a difficult situation to be in. A better media communicator might find a way to balance between admitting how poor things have been and taking some blame, and making a confident case for optimism for the future. But Ten Hag isn't that guy.

Either way, though, it seems many would only accept it if he told the media that things are terrible and that's his fault, and of course he'll never say that. Which manager ever did? I mean, if he did that, the next sentence could really only be 'and that's why I'm resigning'.

The “Eye of Sauron” has been focussed on the America’s Cup in Barcelona. As soon as SJR loses that, he’ll send Ben Ainslie up the Manchester Ship Canal, like Captain Jack Sparrow, wanting to know where all the rum has gone! EtH is done! His press conferences are just laughable and an absolute embarrassment!

Nothing to do with wasting hundreds of millions on terrible signings then Eric?

He talks absolute nonsense.

The only reason it might be okay to be 14th as the manager of Manchester United is if you are playing a team full of 20 year olds and under building half a team for the future, or if you're a new manager who needs a few games to get going.

Neither of these are even close to true for ETH. Long past sack time now

Agreed but I would extend it to if you are build a highly promising new core. This isn't against these players but if you plan your season and the near future around Bruno, Casemiro and Rashford then you don't deserve time because you clearly chose short term options that have never shown the ability to elevate a team to the desired level.

All they’ve done by keeping ETH is waste more time, more money, brought more instability and made their jobs even harder.

A team full of 20 year olds with a promising core being built for the the future. Isn't that precisely what IS being done? Or

Ineos havent wasted money, and if ETH is sacked now or later, the squad will be left in much better position.

-- Hojlund (21) ---

Garnacho (20) ----- CAM ----- Amad (22)

Mainoo (19) ------ Ugarte (23)

LB ----- Martinez/MDL ----- Yoro (18) ---- RB

GK

A team full of 20 year olds with a promising core being built for the the future. Isn't that precisely what IS being done? Or

Ineos havent wasted money, and if ETH is sacked now or later, the squad will be left in much better position.

-- Hojlund (21) ---

Garnacho (20) ----- CAM ----- Amad (22)

Mainoo (19) ------ Ugarte (23)

LB ----- Martinez/MDL ----- Yoro (18) ---- RB

GK

I didnt say players in their 20s. That should be every team

I said 20 and under. If we were playing our u21 team 14th would be fine

I didnt say players in their 20s. That should be every team

I said 20 and under. If we were playing our u21 team 14th would be fine

The point still stands.

It's a particularly young team, being built for the future.

The point still stands.

It's a particularly young team, being built for the future.

As most teams in the league are, whilst doing a lot better than 14th

Brighton are starting 4 players 22 and under and theyre 6th

Chelsea started 5 players 22 and under last game and they're 4th

We started 3 players 22 and under against Villa and we're 14th. Most of the time its 2.

Exactly. Which is why I hope we lose most of ours matches coming up so we can be rid of him once and for all. Short term pain = long term gain.
I understand, yet if he performs a miracle upturn in form and entertainment I'd be happy.

In an alternate universe, ETH is taking accountability and admitting that last season was a failure, despite the FA-Cup win.

It astounds me how people still take answers at press conferences at face value
Is he not taking the piss when he keeps referring to last season as a resounding success? There's a line between not straight up calling it a failure and bigging it up to the extent he does. It's nauseating.